• ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

NFL Off-Season Thread

Bucs trade for Plummer, sign Garcia in QB splurge

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

March 3, 2007

AP - Mar 3, 2:24 pm EST

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- When Chris Simms said he welcomed competition for Tampa Bay's starting quarterback job, he surely didn't envision the Buccaneers getting two accomplished veterans to challenge for his job.

The Bucs signed free agent Jeff Garcia on Saturday, then announced they had also obtained the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver to give the team a three-way tussle for the reins to coach Jon Gruden's offense.

Garcia, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who nearly signed with the Bucs as a free agent in 2004, agreed to a two-year deal he hopes will give him a chance to finally get to the Super Bowl.

A championship is missing from Plummer's resume, too, but its unclear if it remains a personal goal because the 32-year-old is said to be considering retirement after losing his starting job with the Broncos last season.

Stepping away from the game couldn't be farther from the 37-year-old Garcia's mind.

"Throw age out the window because that's not how I play. That's not how I focus. That's not how I mentally prepare. That's not who I am," Garcia said during a news conference.

"I'm somebody who is excited about this opportunity, who's excited to be around the guys and bring a good mix of leadership and drive and will and perseverance -- all those things you need in order to turn the corner and get back that winning feeling, that winning tradition."

The Bucs won the Super Bowl four seasons ago, but have had losing records and missed the playoffs three of the past four years.

A tight salary-cap situation has prevented the Bucs from being real players in free agency since Gruden took over in 2002. However, the team began this year's signing period with about $25 million in space.

Garcia is intrigued by the prospect of helping Gruden and holdovers from Tampa Bay championship team like Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber and Mike Alstott climb back among the NFL's elite.

"It's not so long ago that those things happened," Garcia said. "And, it's something that can happen again."

Meanwhile, general manager Bruce Allen acknowledged the Bucs traded a conditional pick in the 2008 draft for Plummer, even though they were aware the quarterback is thinking about not playing again.

Plummer, who has three years left on his contract and is due $5.3 million in 2007, led Denver to the AFC Championship Game two seasons ago but was benched after 11 games last season for rookie Jay Cutler. His .722 winning percentage with the Broncos from 2003-06 is the fourth-best in the NFL behind Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

While Allen said he expects Plummer to play again, he would not speculate on whether it would be with Tampa Bay. The GM also said the Bucs did not acquire the quarterback's rights with the idea of trading him.

"I think right now, he's just taking time to think about it, which is fine," Allen said, adding it's not uncommon for players ponder or even announce their retirement before changing their minds.

Garcia, who last year led Philadelphia to the playoffs filling in for the injured Donovan McNabb, agreed to terms a day after talking with the Oakland Raiders. The Bucs pursued him in free agency three years ago but were unable to match a more lucrative deal Garcia signed with the Cleveland Browns.

"I'm happy for him," McNabb, who watched Garcia win five of six starts to help the Eagles win the NFC East, said during the Syracuse-Villanova basketball game in Philadelphia. "I think it will be a good fit. I think he'll be fine."

As coach of the Oakland Raiders, Gruden also passed on opportunity to sign Garcia when the quarterback was coming out of the Canadian Football League in 1999. Garcia wound up with San Francisco and made the Pro Bowl three of five seasons there.

While playing with the 49ers, Gruden and Garcia became friends.

"It's unfortunate we weren't able to come together three years ago and maybe have created some great bond and great situations on the field," Garcia said of his decision to sign with Cleveland in 2004. "But I think he's getting a more focused, more motivated, more excited player now than he would have gotten at that point."

Simms, who missed the final 13 games of last season after having his spleen removed, signed a two-year contract extension in December. He led the Bucs to the playoffs after replacing the injured Brian Griese two years ago, but was 0-3 as a starter in 2006.

Garcia said Gruden, who was not available on Saturday, has given him no assurances about playing time.

"I do want to start. ... But I don't expect it to come without competition. I think competition is healthy," Garcia said, adding that he can also can help with the 26-year-old Simms' development.

"And if Jake Plummer were to show up here after I did, I welcome it. It's not a situation I'm fearful of."

AP Sports Writer Dan Gelston in Philadelphia contributed to this report.
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Patriots sign linebacker Adalius Thomas, 2 veterans

By JESSE HARLAN ALDERMAN, Associated Press Writer
    March 3, 2007

AP - Mar 3, 4:15 EST

BOSTON (AP) -- Linebacker Adalius Thomas, one of the most sought-after free agents, signed Saturday with the New England Patriots, giving the three-time Super Bowl winners a player in the mold of the departed Willie McGinest.

The 29-year-old Pro Bowler, one of the keys to the Baltimore's defense last season, can play several positions, including outside linebacker and defensive end -- as McGinest did until he left last season for Cleveland.

Thomas, at 6-foot-2-inches and 270 pounds, said he even lined up at cornerback in a defensive package designed to handle Pittsburgh's physical receivers, matching wideouts stride-for-stride.

"I'm a football player. I don't play a position. Whatever is needed for me to do here, I'm going to do," he said. "That's why the Patriots have been so successful here because they don't look at it as position. They look at it as football."

The Patriots also announced the signings of two other veterans: tight end Kyle Brady from Jacksonville and back up running back Sammy Morris from division-rival Miami.

"Personally and professionally, we are very impressed with Adalius Thomas," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "His playmaking, toughness, intelligence, versatility and character were all factors in our decision to pursue him."

Many professional scouts had considered Thomas the most talented free agent on the market, coming off an 11-sack and 106-tackle season as one of the anchors on Baltimore's stout defense that gave up an NFL-low average of 12.6 points per game.

The signing period for free agents was fewer than 36 hours old when Thomas signed his deal. He said he did not want to test the market after receiving a phone call from New England -- a team he said is primed to compete for its fourth Super Bowl win in seven seasons.

"We don't want to come here and play games," he said. "There's no need to go looking around for the best, when you start with the best. My first offer was here and there was no need to go anywhere else."

Thomas cited a motto that he learned from his father in Alabama -- "Be humble or get humble" -- when reflecting on his steady rise from a sixth-round draft pick out of Southern Mississippi in 2000 to a special teams Pro Bowl pick in 2003 to one of the league's top linebackers.

He has five career defensive touchdowns, 38.5 sacks, six interceptions and six fumble recoveries.

He said Belichick has a penchant for molding a system around versatile linebackers, drawing a comparison to Mike Vrabel, another linebacker known for lining up in other positions, notably as a goal-line tight end.

"I think I fit their pedigree of linebackers -- guys that can run, big strong guys that play different things from Vrabel to Bruschi to Colvin," he said. "You have all these guys that are here that are great players. Again, I just try to come in and add to what they already have because they have a great linebacking corps here."

The signing of veterans at tight end and running back fill offensive needs for the Patriots after the team released running back Corey Dillon on Friday. Tight end Daniel Graham is an unrestricted free agent expected to leave New England.

Brady, 35, played four seasons with the New York Jets and eight with Jacksonville. He has played in 183 games and caught 334 passes for 3,449 yards and 23 touchdowns.

Morris, 29, is a seven-year veteran who has played for both Buffalo and Miami.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Redskins agree to terms with CB Smoot; entertain Davis, Fisher

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
      March 3, 2007

AP - Mar 3, 7:48 pm EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Cornerback Fred Smoot agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins on Saturday night, returning to the team he left two years ago before two tumultuous seasons with Minnesota.

Smoot will sign his deal Sunday, when he'll also be formally introduced during a news conference at Redskins Park.

He'll receive a signing bonus of at least $2 million. Other details of the contract were not immediately available, but Smoot's agent, Bus Cook, said the cornerback placed a higher priority on returning to a familiar team than working the free agent market for the best deal.

"He may have gotten a better deal by going somewhere else -- we don't know that -- but he's glad to be home," Cook told The Associated Press. "Sometimes that's more important than money."

Smoot, a second-round draft pick in 2001, joins linebacker London Fletcher as the first two signings of the free agent period for the Redskins, who are looking to improve a defense that ranked 31st in the league last year. Cornerback Travis Fisher also visited the team Saturday, as did offensive lineman Leonard Davis.

Smoot tied a career high with 61 tackles last season, and returned his only interception for a touchdown -- in Week 16 for the Vikings' only score in a 9-7 loss at Green Bay.

Smoot has 312 career tackles and 19 INTs in six NFL seasons. He isn't a shutdown cornerback, but he was a popular and consistent starter during four seasons with the Redskins. He left in 2005, lured by a six-year, $34 million offer from the Vikings.

But he found nothing but trouble in Minnesota. His injuries last year included a broken collarbone and a jaw shattered in five places in a car accident. He was benched for the first series of one game for disciplinary reasons. He also was fined after facing a disorderly conduct charge for his actions at the infamous "Love Boat" party in October 2005. He lost his starting job. On Thursday, he was cut.

But the nonstop trash-talker is fondly remembered in Washington. Coach Joe Gibbs discovered that Smoot had changed little when he entertained Smoot and Fletcher at a Washington Wizards game Friday night.

"I don't think Smoot saw a play," Gibbs said. "He was turned around the whole time talking."

Smoot joins a roster that includes cornerbacks Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers, although Springs could be cut later this year for salary cap reasons.

Also Saturday, Davis, wearing sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt on his massive 366-pound frame, got into a white Mercedes to head to lunch with quarterback Jason Campbell, the man Davis would help protect if he signs with the Redskins.

"The Redskins are in my top two," Davis said. "It's between the Redskins and the Cowboys."

Davis would be a natural replacement for left guard Derrick Dockery, who joined the Bills on Friday with a stunning seven-year, $49 million contract that includes $18.5 million in guaranteed money.

"I think everyone in the league is surprised," Gibbs said.

At that price, it's wasn't surprising that the Redskins decided to let Dockery go, even though the team has been criticized in recent years for not retaining some of its top players. However, there is now a hole on the offensive line, and Davis would appear to be an ideal fit -- even though he could cost even more money than Dockery.

Davis, who has already visited Dallas, hasn't been the franchise-type player expected when the Arizona Cardinals selected him No. 2 overall in 2001, but the Redskins don't need him to be. The offensive line was one of Washington's strengths last year, and Gibbs simply needs someone who can complement the returning foursome of Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, Casey Rabach and Chris Samuels.

Fletcher, meanwhile, became the first free agent to actually sign his deal and make the first official appearance at the prerequisite news conference. Fletcher agreed late Friday to a five-year, $25 million contract that includes a $10.5 million signing bonus.

"I didn't sleep much last night with all the phone calls," Fletcher said Saturday. "I was too excited, because it's finally happening for me."

Fletcher will be the new middle linebacker, and he fits the Gibbs mold in several ways. He's a veteran locker room leader who probably has a future as a coach. He's familiar with the defense because he played for assistant coach Gregg Williams in Buffalo. He has missed one game in his nine seasons in the NFL.

"One of the things we talked about is that he won't come out of the game," Gibbs said.

The durability, however, also raises a question: After playing so many consecutive games, how much does Fletcher have left in the tank at age 32?

Plenty, he says.

"I'm getting two massages a week," he said. "I'm doing all kinds of things to perform on Sundays. I've also cut out the basketball."

Fisher, the other free agent to make a visit, would make the secondary even more crowded, but he would be more a role player in nickel packages. He has only seven interceptions in an injury-marred career with St. Louis. He broke his right forearm last year and has yet to play a full season.

AP Freelance Writer Lindsay Applebaum in Ashburn, Va., contributed to this report.

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Rams sign wide receiver to 6-year contract

March 3, 2007

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Wide receiver Drew Bennett signed a six-year contract with the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Bennett led the Titans with 46 receptions for 737 yards last season and ranks ninth on the team's career list with 273 catches for 4,033 yards and 25 touchdowns. He played his first six seasons with Tennessee after breaking in as an undrafted player.

Bennett's 16-yard average ranked third in the AFC and seventh in the league last season among players with at least 45 receptions. He could fill a void as the team's third receiver behind Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, with Kevin Curtis expected to sign as a free agent elsewhere.

Bennett's best season was in 2004, when he had personal bests with 80 receptions, 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns and started all 16 games. Eight of the touchdowns came in three games, tying a record set by Jerry Rice in 1987 and 1993.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Browns get boost with Steinbach up front

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
          March 3, 2007

AP - Mar 3, 11:55 am EST

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Eric Steinbach shed his Bengals stripes for a chance to help turn around another awful NFL team.

The coveted free agent offensive lineman, who spent his first four seasons pro blocking for Cincinnati, signed a seven-year, $49.5 million contract with the Cleveland Browns on Saturday.

The deal guarantees the 26-year-old $17 million, but Steinbach said his newfound wealth won't make him any different.

"I'm not going to change," he said. "People might look at me and perceive me differently. "But I've always been a simple, middle-class guy and that's the way I'm going to stay."

Steinbach's versatility -- he's played guard, tackle and center -- made him attractive to the Browns, who have focused on rebuilding their offensive line this winter following a 4-12 season.

The 6-foot-6, 290-pounder is slender by NFL standards..

"He plays with leverage, he has great feet and he plays the game a lot bigger," offensive line coach Steve Marshall said. "He's one of the better ones."

Steinbach is a natural left guard, but has made two career starts at tackle.

"Obviously, I'm more comfortable at guard," he said. "We'll have plenty of time before the season starts to figure it out. Wherever the coaches want me to play is fine. I'll keep an open mind for tackle, center or whatever."

On the second day of free agency, the Browns also signed outside linebacker Antwan Peek to a three-year contract. Peek, who played for the Houston Texans last season, can rush the passer and is better suited for Cleveland's 3-4 system.

This is the second straight season the Browns have scored big early in free agency. Last March, they signed Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley to a six-year, $36 million contract. However, Bentley suffered a season-ending and possible career-threatening knee injury early in training camp.

That misfortune made signing Steinbach crucial.

Steinbach said he has no animosity toward the Bengals, who gave large contracts to offensive linemen Willie Anderson and Levi Jones in recent years. He appreciates teams wanting to strengthen themselves up front first.

"I think to turn a team around, the offensive line is where it has to start because that is the nucleus of the team," he said. "If you can have a solid offensive line, five guys who play together and if everyone stays healthy and plays all 16 games, you'll see a huge difference."

The only blemish on Steinbach's resume is an arrest in August for boating under the influence on the Ohio River, one of nine Bengals arrested last season. As part of a court diversion program, the charge was dropped and he agreed to a boating class, 10 hours of speaking to children about the dangers of alcohol and a $500 donation to the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Texans sign Pro Bowl WR Johnson to contract extension

March 3, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans signed Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson to a multiyear contract extension Saturday.

Johnson had two years remaining on his current contract. Terms of the deal were not released, but he was scheduled to make $5.25 million next season and $7.75 million in 2008.

Johnson, the third overall pick in the 2003 draft, was selected to his second Pro Bowl after catching a career-high 103 passes for 1,147 yards last season.

"I've enjoyed my first four years in Houston and I'm excited about finishing my career with the Texans," Johnson said.

The former University of Miami standout has caught 311 passes for 3,953 yards and 17 touchdowns in his career. He was also selected to the Pro Bowl in 2004 after catching 79 passes for 1,142 yards.

The Texans, who released aging veteran Eric Moulds on Wednesday, will look for another receiver to play opposite Johnson. Ashley Lelie, an unrestricted free agent who played for Atlanta last season, was in Houston on Saturday visiting the Texans.

They are familiar with Lelie as the 27-year-old spent his first four seasons with Denver when Houston coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator.

He had 28 receptions for 430 yards last season, but had a 1,000-yard season two years ago under Kubiak.

Houston is also hosting Green Bay free agent running back Ahman Green this weekend. The Texans are hoping to solidify their running back situation with the health of Domanick Williams -- formerly Davis -- still in question.

The 30-year-old had 266 carries for 1,059 yards last season.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Texans release veterans Moulds, Payne

February 28, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Texans released receiver Eric Moulds after one season Wednesday and also dropped defensive tackle Seth Payne and offensive lineman Zach Weigert.

Moulds had 557 yards and one touchdown last season after joining Houston in a trade with Buffalo. He had spent 10 years with the Bills.

Payne, a 10-year veteran, played in only five games last year after tearing a ligament in his right knee. Weigert started 48 game for Houston the past four years.

For his career, the 33-year-old Moulds has 732 catches for 9,653 yards and 49 touchdowns.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Dielman returns to Chargers

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

March 3, 2007

AP - Mar 3, 4:52 pm EST

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Kris Dielman was at dinner with Matt Hasselbeck and some other Seattle players Friday night when he got a text message from his agent that a fat free agent contract with the Seahawks was all but ready to be signed.

Something didn't feel right, though. On top of that, fullback Lorenzo Neal kept calling, imploring Dielman to re-sign with the San Diego Chargers.

After a sleepless night, Dielman left about $10 million on the table in Seattle and signed a six-year deal with the Chargers worth $39 million, with $17 million guaranteed in the first two years.

With that, one of the most sought-after offensive linemen was off the market and the line that blocked so well for NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson remained intact.

"This morning my agent called me with some good news," said Dielman, the left guard. "I told him, `Get me out of here, man. Get me home, back to sunny San Diego."'

Dielman had flown to Seattle on Friday on a private jet provided by the Seahawks. He returned in a coach seat on Alaska Airlines.

The deal came together quickly Saturday morning in talks between Dielman's agent, Mike McCartney and the Chargers, who had said keeping Dielman was their top priority in free agency.

Dielman didn't want to leave, but his agent and the Chargers hadn't spoken since November, so he had to test the market.

"San Diego gave me my chance," Dielman said. "They gave me every opportunity to stay here when I was coming up through the ranks. I gave them every opportunity and they stepped up."

Dielman said loyalty was more important than money.

"Money's nice, but if you're not happy, if you're miserable, it ain't really worth it, in my opinion. I'm happy. San Diego's happy. Money ain't a factor. It never really was, either," he said.

General manager A.J. Smith called it a "big, big signing," adding that the Chargers wouldn't have been able to do the deal if the money gap was too big.

"Obviously, he's making a statement that it's not all about money, as long as he's comfortable with it," said Smith, who added that Dielman's work ethic is unmatched. "I knew he was that kind of guy, but you don't know the results until it's done."

Dielman said the Seahawks players took him to Qwest Field "and they walked me through their tunnel. That was an emotional game when we played there last year. It didn't feel right. It wasn't clicking real well. It turned out for the best, man."

The Chargers rallied to beat the Seahawks 20-17 in the final minute on Dec. 24.

Pro Bowl center Nick Hardwick said he was "pumped up, man," after getting a call from Dielman.

"I thought he was gone," Hardwick said. "I didn't think we were going to get him back. He called me and said, `Are you ready to make a run at the Super Bowl?' He was pretty excited."

The Chargers' negotiator, Ed McGuire, said in a statement that team president Dean Spanos "wasn't going to let Kris get away and he didn't. Dean knows how valuable Kris is to our team in so many different ways. He stepped up and made it happen."

Dielman joined the Chargers in 2003 as an undrafted defensive lineman from Indiana. He was converted to guard in his rookie season and became a starter early in the 2005 season. He has quickly blossomed into a top offensive lineman.

"It's a great story for any young player," new coach Norv Turner said. "Kris comes in here as a defensive lineman and three years later he's a Pro Bowl alternate. It's just a great example of if you set your mind to it and you're determined, great things can happen."

Along with Eric Steinbach, who left Cincinnati and signed with Cleveland, Dielman was considered one of the two top guards on the market. Leonard Davis of Arizona is thought to be the premier tackle.

Dielman's reputation was enhanced by the MVP performance of Tomlinson, who set league records with 31 touchdowns and 186 points. He also won his first rushing title with 1,815 yards.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer, who was fired Feb. 12 despite the team going an NFL-best 14-2, described the Chargers' line last season as "snarly."

Dielman certainly added to that image.

"He's the enforcer," Hardwick said. "He's our intimidator. No one really wants to mess with him too much. We're glad to have him back."

With the Seahawks, Dielman could have blocked for Shaun Alexander, the 2005 NFL MVP.

But he said it would have been hard leaving Tomlinson behind.

"Shaun Alexander, we all know he's a great running back, but L.T.'s my guy, man," Dielman said. "I want to be his left guard for as long as I can. Two years for me wasn't enough. Now I've got him for six more, so let's roll, baby."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Niners Signe Clements ro Record Deal

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Update: Clements signed an eight-year, $80 million contract with the Niners on Friday, ESPNews reports.

Recommendation: San Francisco has outbid Washington among others for Clements' services, making him the highest-played defensive player in NFL history. He'll start opposite Walt Harris and give the Niners a much more formidable cornerback tandem heading in 2007.

Comment

• EbDawson
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2004

Re: Dielman returns to Chargers

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                    "Money's nice, but if you're not happy, if you're miserable, it ain't really worth it
                    Must be talkin about the Seattle weather.
                    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• EbDawson
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2004

Re: NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                      they had also obtained the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver
                      Looks like he's retiring. So he says . . .
                      "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Texans agree to terms with Green Bay RB Green

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
                        March 4, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans agreed to terms with free agent running back Ahman Green on Sunday.

The 30-year-old former Green Bay Packer will likely become the starter for a team that struggled at the position last season after Domanick Williams -- formerly Davis -- missed the year with knee problems.

Green will be introduced at a 1 p.m. news conference in Houston on Monday, said Texans vice president of communications Tony Wyllie. Terms of the contract were not immediately available.

Houston also has a trio of inexperienced running backs in Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor and fellow former Green Bay player Samkon Gado. They also hope to re-sign free agent Ron Dayne, the 1999 Heisman Trophy winner, who excelled late last season after years of struggles.

Green had 266 carries for 1,059 yards last season after returning from a torn right quadriceps in 2005. He missed two games last season because of lingering effects from the injury.

He has 8,491 yards and 54 touchdowns in his nine-year career that began with Seattle. Before the injury two years ago, Green gained more than 1,100 yards in each of the previous five seasons.

Green, who has been with the Packers since the 2000 season, has close ties with former Packers head coach Mike Sherman, who is the Texans' offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Along with Gado, former Packers teammate Mike Flanagan also plays for the Texans.

Green spent the weekend in Houston, visiting the Texans and taking in a Houston Rockets game on Saturday night.

"I'm just looking for a situation where I feel comfortable around the players and the coaches, where I can be myself," Green said Sunday before the deal was announced. "Come down here and just play football and have fun. That is what I'm looking for."

Green did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone by The Associated Press.

After meeting with Denver and Houston, Green told reporters in Houston earlier on Sunday that he was canceling other scheduled visits to teams and could "possibly" make his decision in the next 24 hours.

"I have gotten to the point where I have seen enough," Green said. "I don't need to venture out anymore. I know a few teams that are disappointed because I did have some visits set up, but from the two teams that I have visited, I don't need to see anymore."

Green said facing the possibility of leaving Green Bay would be difficult.

"That's where the majority of my career is at," Green said. "I think speaking in general with anybody that has been in a situation for a long time, regardless of if it was good or bad, I've been there seven years. Some good, some bad, but regardless of the fact, staying or leaving will be tough. I don't know yet, but, I think for anybody generally speaking it would be tough to do. When you're a kid and you transfer a school, and that school you have all your buddies, regardless of if it was good times or bad times, it's still a tough time to leave."

Going into the offseason, Green had indicated he preferred to stay in Green Bay. He was scheduled to appear at the Packers' annual fan fest next weekend.

With Green out, the Packers are left with Vernand Morency, an inexperienced but quick back who was obtained for Gado in a trade with the Texans last season. Morency gained 434 yards on 96 carries last year.

Green Bay also could look to address their running back needs with the No. 16 pick in the NFL draft next month or obtain another running back through free agency.

AP Sports Writer Chris Jenkins in Milwaukee contributed to this story.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Cowboys agree to terms with Davis; give Glenn roster bonus

March 4, 2007

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple confirmed the deal Sunday, but not the details of the agreement. He said a formal announcement by the team was expected Monday.

According to various reports, including a story posted on the team's Web site, Davis agreed to a seven-year contract worth nearly $50 million, including $18.75 million in guaranteed money.

Davis, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Texas, spent his first six seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. He played guard for the first four seasons and switched to left tackle in 2004.

He started 91 games for the Cardinals, including all 16 last season, but never became the overpowering Pro Bowl-level player the team envisioned.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys picked up wide receiver Terry Glenn's $5 million roster bonus, virtually assuring he will remain with the team.

"I've talked to Terry and he's very excited," receivers coach Ray Sherman told The Dallas Morning News.

Glenn will earn a base salary of $820,000. He had more than 1,000 yards receiving and six touchdowns last year.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Wait...

Domanick fucking Williams?

What happened to Domanick Davis?

And what's wrong with the whore now?

Isn't he supposed to come back?

What are the fucking Texans doing?

Signing every damn back in the league?

...jerk weeds...
                            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

And Ive read they may be in the market for one in the draft, someone like Lynch.

Comment

Working...