PDA

View Full Version : "New" Jones Soda is THE SHIT!!

FORD
03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I've written many times on this board about the dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup. and how it's not only ruined the commercial soft drink market but has now also moved into most processed foods.

Well, people are starting to wakeup and the demand is starting to be noticed.

Mexican Coca-Cola, which had been cane sugar based, was being imported into the US and sold in grocery stores here, usually in the Mexican food section. It was a big hit among the immigrants, who haven't had HFCS polluted Coke the last 20 years, and didn't like it now. And it also became a hit among veteran Coke drinkers (and HFCS haters) like myself, to the point where Coca Cola Inc actually threatened stores who imported it, and when that didn't work, ordered their Mexican division to switch to the HFCS formula. If you'll notice, the Mexican Coke bottles now include HFCS as an ingredient :(

Thank God for the Jews though!! It seems that grain based sweeteners violate the Kosher for Passover rule, so now the Coca Cola company releases a limited batch of cane sugar - based Coca Cola during the Spring months. Obviously most of this product is distributed to cities with a large Jewish population, and also Coke Inc doesn't go out of their way to advertise the fact, because then their customer base would demand they switch back permanently.

Supposedly, the "Kosher Coke" comes in bottles with yellow caps, and there will be a symbol on the cap noting that it is Kosher certified. A list of Kosher symbols can be found
here. (http://www.mazornet.com/jewishcl/Kosher/kosherorgs.htm)

So with Mexican Coke out of the running, and "Kosher Coke" only available one month out of the year, then what in blazing Hell are High Fructose Poison haters supposed to drink the rest of the year??

Enter Jones Soda.

Yeah, Jones has been around a few years. They're sort of the microbrew equivalent of a soda company, not afraid to try new flavors. Even weird flavors like Turkey & Gravy soda. And no, I wasn't curious enough to try that one. Unfortunately, the one thing Jones hadn't tried, was to make their product without the genetically modified Monsanto poison goo.

Until now, that is. Maybe Jones reads the same websites I do, or maybe they realized the insanity of Brazil using sugar cane to run their cars while we can't even use it for it's God given purpose in this country and decided to do something about it?

Either way, Jones Soda is now available in 12 ounce cans with cane sugar and no High Fructose Corn Syrup. Praise Jesus!! (or whatever deity or lack thereof you prefer)

Downside is availability. Most grocery stores lease space in their aisles to vendors, and the Coke & Pepsi guys dominate most of that space. So even though Jones has dozens of flavors available, it might be hard to actually find them. I was only able to find 4 flavors at the local Albertsons and picked up three of them.

"Lemon Drop" - This is somewhere between 7-up and a canned lemonade. Seems less carbonated than 7 up though. If "natural" 7-up actually lived up to it's claim and eliminated HFCS, I would probably choose it over this.

"Cream Soda" - Definitely better than any commercial cream soda out there, though there are a couple of small label organic beverages that do it better.

"Green Apple" - This is the best I've had so far. As a kid, in the pre-HFCS days, I used to love Shasta's Red Apple soda. This is 10 times better. If Jones could only make ONE flavor, I'd lobby for this one.

If you can find Jones in your area, try it. You won't be disappointed. BTW the Jones in bottles is still HFCS, but they're in the process of changing that, so give it a couple months, and buy the cans.

And look out for that "Kosher Coke" too. I plan on stashing a few cases myself, if I can locate it.

More info on Jones Soda here (http://www.jonessoda.com/files_new/jones-pure-cane-soda.html)

Eyes of the Night
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Niiice ... aren't they northwest based? ... that's my last name too:D ...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
I buy it all the time at Target.... it's incredible

FORD
03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
I buy it all the time at Target.... it's incredible

Does Target have all the flavors?

FORD
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Niiice ... aren't they northwest based?

Yep.

Jones Soda Seattle
234 9th Avenue North
Seattle, Washington
United States, 98109

COSTCO should start carrying this stuff. Help support a fellow Washington company.

Ally_Kat
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Ford, road trip. I'll take you to the Amish Market that just opened up in my town. The only think close to Amish about it is the guy on the Quaker Oats boxes (and yes, I know he's a Quaker), but they have a wide selection of Jones soda.

That and we'll go visit a few of the many Jewish neighborhoods. ;)

NathanRay
03-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Jones is more pricey but I think it is definately worth it. Soda Should be a treat or reward like it used to be way back when? Instead of a white trash canteen Carrying around a big bottle of Mountain Dew Just must be an instinctal reminder of apalachian origins. I need to kick the diet coke addiction myself but whatever.

Don't forget New Sprite is "ALL NATURAL" my ass now. What they removed the pestecides? They still have HFCS as the Sweetener. What the hell do they mean all natural?

NathanRay
03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry 7up is all natural

FORD
03-06-2007, 12:40 AM
If any Canadians are lurking, can you clear up whether Coke is made with sugar or HFCS up north. I've heard both stories. I don't remember the Coke tasting any better on my last road trip up there, but then I was drinking beer or BC Growers Granny Smith Apple Cider most of the time anyway.

I do know that most of the world outside of North America does not use this fucking poison. And yet they doubt why obesity and diabetes have skyrocketed in this country the last 25 years.

MAX
03-06-2007, 12:49 AM
I no longer drink soda persay, however I do enjoy one on a hot day every once in a blue moon. I have to admit, those Jones sodas are outstanding. I like the Green Apple, it tastes just like a Jolly Rancher. I've tried a couple other flavors over the years as well and they too were great.

Sometimes and in the summertime, I will and have ordered sodas from this (http://www.popsoda.com/) site. I learned about them on Food Network. They sell imported versions of Coca~Cola, Dr. Pepper, etc. with cane sugar and not the addictive, high fructose corn syrup. And YES, there's an enormous difference. Not only in the way they taste but how you feel physically after consuming one.

Oh my goodness and holy fuck!!!

As I was typing this, I wanted to show how they sold the imported Coca Cola and check out what's now on their site:

WTF?!?!?!?!? (http://www.popsoda.com/coccolfromho.html)

FORD
03-06-2007, 12:59 AM
So both Coke and Pepsi are leaning on the importers??

Well, at least they still have Dublin Dr. Pepper listed.

Forgot to mention that one. It may be the only major brand currently made year round in the US with real sugar. But only at the one bottling plant, which was where Dr. Pepper was first bottled.

MAX
03-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by FORD
So both Coke and Pepsi are leaning on the importers??

Looks like it and it pisses me off cos I usually order a couple of cases every summer. :mad:

DLRdelight!
03-06-2007, 02:15 AM
i must taste this then

Lqskdiver
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I usually try to bring a case of coke from Mexico once a month when I'm down there.

Nothing beats that sugarry taste.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Does Target have all the flavors?

Unchainme
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I no longer drink soda persay, however I do enjoy one on a hot day every once in a blue moon. I have to admit, those Jones sodas are outstanding. I like the Green Apple, it tastes just like a Jolly Rancher. I've tried a couple other flavors over the years as well and they too were great.

speaking of Jolly Rancher...:)

http://www.bevnet.com/news/imgsub/200667180450.Jolly%20Rancher%20Soda%2043.JPG

I just had this yesterday, it was auctually decent.

WACF
03-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Ford, I took a look at a Coke can...Sugar/Glucose-Fructose is what it says.

FORD
03-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Hmmm..... that sounds kinda vague. Like they might have some bottling plants that use sugar and some that use HFCS, so they label the can to work either way.

Thanks for checking though!

WACF
03-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I thought it was kinda vague myself.

What does your's say it uses?

Is it directly called HFCS?

Ally_Kat
03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, or at least on this coast it does.

I tried that Enviga the other day cuz curiosity finally got to me. No HFCS on the label and I thought it tasted pretty good. It's basically green tea soda (they like to jazz it up by calling it sparkling green tea, but it's soda) and I like green tea to begin with. Wasn't as heavy-sitting as other sodas are with me. I'm assuming that's the HFCS difference. (I think I'm too young to have had popular soda w/o it)

FORD
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Enviga is a diet product. In fact it claims to burn calories, so it's probably sweetened with Nutra Sweet, or hopefully Splenda. Or possibly a mixture of the two like "Coke Zero".

Haven't tried that one yet myself, though I drink green tea just about every day.

Nitro Express
03-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I bought a 12 pack of Jones Green Apple soda at a discount grocery store in Idaho Falls, Idaho for $3.25 and I could taste the sugar. I was pleasantly suprised to see on the label, sugar and not corn syrup.

Jones used to sell for $1.00 a bottle in little four packs at Fred Myer. I now can buy a freaking 12 pack of the stuff in cans for less! Good move Jones!

Nitro Express
03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Now I can afford to fill my bathtub with Jone's Green Apple soda and have sex in it. It also mixes quite well with Gordon's Gin. Yeeeee Hawwwww! :D

Little Texan
03-07-2007, 03:22 PM
You are mistaken, Ford, about all Mexican Coke having HFCS in it now. Some of it does, and some of it has Cane Sugar. The Mexican Coke sold around these parts all has Cane Sugar in it. The tall 1 liter glass bottles of Mexican Coke have HFCS, and the 12 oz. glass bottles usually have Cane Sugar, although I've bought some before that had HFCS. I guess it depends on which plant it's bottled at. Mexican Coke with the sugar is sold at Kroger in my town for 89 cents a bottle, and I occasionally will buy a few bottles. There are several gas stations around here that have Mexican Coke in the cooler, so that's usually where I buy mine.

FORD
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, I hope your supplier sticks with the REAL "Real Thing", for your sake.

But given the recent stolen election in Mexico, I have a feeling the corporatists are going to get away with whatever they want down there, and that means Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland are going to takeover the Mexican corn market, which means they'll flood the country with the poison goo. :(

Nitro Express
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
They already are making corn unafordable for the average Mexican who depends on it for their food. Here Raul, have so Globalist Corporate Goo instead. Oh, you can't afford it? Go to California and get a fucking job spick! We rammed NAFTA down everone's ass so we can get rich, we don't need any bad PR from starving Mexicans.

Jimmy Jingles
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
If you can find it, try Red Rock Cola...

http://www.sodapopstop.com/images/products/large_27.jpg

Bottled right here in Atlanta and was Babe Ruth's favorite cola.

Made with 100% REAL cane sugar. Incredible taste.

My local Kroger sells them in a 4 pack of 12oz bottles for $2.99.

:bottle:

WACF
03-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
They already are making corn unafordable for the average Mexican who depends on it for their food.

What is making corn unafordable is the rising cost of corn due to the move towards higher percentages of ethanol blended fuels.

Now that corn has another use...especially a viable enviromental use the price of corn has gone up over a buck a bushel.

Even people with livestock are taking a hit over corn for feed...tis the price of doing business...right or wrong that is the way it works in a capatilist system.

You guys down south are way ahead of us on Ethanol blends...we are increasing the amounts but not as quick as you.
You guys are building Ethanol plants pretty quickly too...I fear our own government is moving too slowlly on this...by the time we decide to build more plants it will not be viable because the market will not bear anymore.

Little Texan
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Now that corn has another use...especially a viable enviromental use the price of corn has gone up over a buck a bushel.

Well, if it starts getting too expensive, I have plenty of pasture in which to grow my own. Homegrown vegetables beat the shit out of what you buy in the supermarket, anyhow! No pesticides, more economical, and best of all, better taste!

WACF
03-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Well, if it starts getting too expensive, I have plenty of pasture in which to grow my own. Homegrown vegetables beat the shit out of what you buy in the supermarket, anyhow! No pesticides, more economical, and best of all, better taste!

I think the price went from around 2 bucks to just over 3...a sign of times to come.

You can not beat home grown vegetables...growing up in a small town with a garden I find it imposible to eat strore bought potatos, peas or carrots.

Luckily the farmers market in my city is really strong.

Another way of making the Ethanol is high moisture feed or straw...so corn is not the only option.
The best plan would be to build the Ethanol plants near feedlots.

chi-town324
03-10-2007, 06:52 PM
for the record i work for an ice cream company in Chicago and we use sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and invert sugar. all are liquid sugars of course. Anything with tose on the end of the word would not be cane sugar

DeadOrAlive
03-11-2007, 05:45 AM
You can find miracle soda at the Target.

Also check out the soda isle in the Nugget Market to find a CRAPLOAD of sodas. Remember JOLT COLA?? They have that. Remember FROSTIE!? They have that. Remember MOXIE!?!? They've got that too.

It's ALL about the blue cream soda goddammit.

FORD
03-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
You can find miracle soda at the Target.

Also check out the soda isle in the Nugget Market to find a CRAPLOAD of sodas. Remember JOLT COLA?? They have that. Remember FROSTIE!? They have that. Remember MOXIE!?!? They've got that too.

Jones Cream Soda is great, but it ain't blue. As for the Nugget markets, I'm afraid they don't exist outside of the Bay Area - Sacramento region. So that's a bit of a commute for shopping.

Hell, I don't even get to Trader Joes much these days because that's 25 high traffic miles away and who the Hell can afford the gas?

FORD
08-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Here's an update for my fellow High Fructose Corn Poison haters......

COSTCO is now carrying Mexican Coke in cases of 24 glass 12 oz bottles.

It ain't cheap - $17 for this case as opposed to $6 for the HFCS crap in cans. But the difference in the taste is worth it.

And apparently the Mexican Coca Cola company decided to stick with cane sugar after all. With all the money they're making exporting it to America who the fuck would blame them?

Yo Atlanta!! Get the hint....

Make REAL Coke again.... save me some money and fucking BURY Pepsi, because they won't switch over as soon (too much money tied up in junk food chains that use HFCS as much as their sodas)

Ally_Kat
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

2-liter, clear plastic, white label that just plainly states "blue cream soda" or are you talking about a Jones Soda flavor?

Because I saw that one in the new Polish Deli that opened here in town.

They also had some very interesting Polish sodas. No HFCS. Was almost tempted to buy and send to FORD, but the price for the 2 liters are $1.99 each. A lil steep, I think.

Redballjets88
08-06-2007, 11:23 PM
i don't mind the HFCS because I see the worse problem in the Soda business being the use of Aspertame. I know multiple people who had to stop drinking diet drinks because after years of drinking it they would get splitting headaches.

FORD
08-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Aspartame is nasty shit too. And you can thank none other than Donald Rumsfeld for that. He was the CEO of Searle Pharmaceuticals at the time that shit was introduced to the market in the 1980's.

I can attest to the headaches. For a while in the early 1990's I drank Diet Coke instead of regular (HFCS) Coke and my head was hurting a lot. I was also developing a mild case of depression, but didn't think much of it at the time, since I had just broken up with a girlfriend, and figured feeling like shit was normal under those circumstances.

But yes, it's literally a BCE invention. Avoid it whenever possible. I'll drink the occasional Splenda, but God only knows what that shit does in the long run.

Best advice still remains.... "If it doesn't exist in nature, you probably shouldn't eat it"

FORD
08-07-2007, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
2-liter, clear plastic, white label that just plainly states "blue cream soda" or are you talking about a Jones Soda flavor?

Because I saw that one in the new Polish Deli that opened here in town.

They also had some very interesting Polish sodas. No HFCS. Was almost tempted to buy and send to FORD, but the price for the 2 liters are $1.99 each. A lil steep, I think.

Jones' cream soda is clear. They do have a blue lemonade though.....

http://www.jonessoda.com/gifs7/product-photos/single_berry_lemonade.jpg

and a blue bubblegum

http://www.jonessoda.com/gifs7/product-photos/single_blue_bubble_gum.jpg

Antman
08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I saw some of this stuff for the first time today at Stop & Shop. Funky colors that's for sure. I might have to try some. They only sell single bottles, no 6 packs. But they were only $1 each.

Little Texan
08-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Antman
I saw some of this stuff for the first time today at Stop & Shop. Funky colors that's for sure. I might have to try some. They only sell single bottles, no 6 packs. But they were only $1 each.

Jones in the glass bottles has HFCS in it. Our local Wal-mart has recently started selling Jones in the 12 oz. cans, which is the good stuff with cane sugar, so your local Wal-mart might also stock it. The Green Apple Jones soda is my personal favorite.

FORD
08-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Jones in the glass bottles has HFCS in it. Our local Wal-mart has recently started selling Jones in the 12 oz. cans, which is the good stuff with cane sugar, so your local Wal-mart might also stock it. The Green Apple Jones soda is my personal favorite.

You must still have old Jones bottles in your area. The new batch will be all cane sugar. They have converted their entire product line over.

I've been buying Jones in cans, but after drinking this MexiCoke for the last few days, I'm starting to remember how much better anything tastes in a cold glass bottle, so I might have to start buying Jones that way.

Antman
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Yea, I could have sworn the bottles said cane sugar on them. Now I must go get some.

chi-town324
08-11-2007, 01:19 PM
here in Chicago they make goose island rootbeer...with real sugar...fuckin awesome in a float or by itself

Satan
08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
here in Chicago they make goose island rootbeer...with real sugar...fuckin awesome in a float or by itself

There's a store near the gates of Hell that used to get Goose Island beer in every once in a while. Don't remember any root beer in the mix, but I'll look for it, if they ever bring it back. I know that the other brewery-produced root beers like Thomas Kemper and Henry Weinhards are still using High Fructose Corn Poison.

Jones also makes root beer, but I haven't found any yet.