PDA

View Full Version : winemaker Ernest Gallo dies at age 97

Steve Savicki
03-07-2007, 06:32 AM
http://www.yahoo.com/s/135784/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070307/ap_on_re_us/obit_gallo

Anyone drink this wine? Was it considered the finest?

Hardrock69
03-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Hell, he was also responsible for really CHEAP wine...Thunderbird, Boone's Farm, stuff like that.

Steve Savicki
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Guess he got rich by hitting all parts of the market then. :D The smart businessman's way.:p

Hardrock69
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
He started his winery back in the 30s!

My Dad went to school with some guys from the Gallo family back in the early 40s out in Modesto...

StretchOnBass
03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Gallo is to wine as Ford is to cars.

Some good, most shit. :D

Steve Savicki
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
My Dad went to school with some guys from the Gallo family back in the early 40s out in Modesto...
I wonder if the Gallo family were art students... the art of winemaking!

FORD
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Obviously he didn't drink the cheap shit himself, or he wouldn't have made it to 93.

Steve Savicki
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
The carbs'll get you with the cheap stuff?

Nitro Express
03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Gallo was who pioneered making wine using modern processes. If you ever have seen the Gallo winery, it looks like an oil refinery with all sorts of tanks and pipes.

Gallo was an Italian and like most Italians and Frenchmen, wine is considered a food staple and is served with meals. They appreciate a good table wine and it's the fuit of life.

Gallo made some good wines for what they were.

BigBadBrian
03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Gallo was who pioneered making wine using modern processes. If you ever have seen the Gallo winery, it looks like an oil refinery with all sorts of tanks and pipes.

Gallo was an Italian and like most Italians and Frenchmen, wine is considered a food staple and is served with meals. They appreciate a good table wine and it's the fuit of life.

Gallo made some good wines for what they were.

Indeed.

The "Gallo of Sonoma" brand is an off-shoot and completely different company than the main Gallo brands. It is their premium stuff and actually quite good.

However, if you want a wine for sangria or to blend with fruit juices or other stuff, the cheap Gallo stuff is good enough.

Bottoms Up!!!

:gulp:

Nitro Express
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I had to do a big case study in business school on Gallo Wines. It is one of the richest privately held corporations in the US.

Old man Galo was an interesting character. He was kind of the Hartley Peavey of the wine industry. Everyone makes fun of Gallo but the guy has gotten rich and he pioneered modern manufacturing processes that nobody was using.

Gallo got stopped using oak tanks and went to stainless steel tanks. Why? Wood holds bacteria and mold and the batches are not consistant. Gallo ages his wine in clean stainless steel tanks with oak chips in the bottom of them. Old man Gallo started using screw top caps because they created a better seal than corks and were easier to open.

Gallo wanted to be the best wine for the best prices. That was his goal. He was Italian and wanted everyone to enjoy a nice glass of wine with their pasta and not pay a fortune for it.

Nickdfresh
03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll get flamed for this, but man I used to love that rose...

Nitro Express
03-09-2007, 02:50 AM
My guilty pleasure is Turning Leaf merlot. I love the shit. LOL!

Viking
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Over the past 25 years, I think I personally made the old fart a millionaire. LMFAO :D :bottle:

Steve Savicki
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Any one particular drink or did you buy up the entire line?

Viking
03-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Nothing too light or too dark. Blush, basically. The rhine is OK, but the chablis gives me a hangover. The paisano gives me the shits. The burgundy is too astringent. My squaw was partial to the Wild Vines, but she's on some fuckin' Andre champagne kick now. Give her a couple glasses of the pink stuff, and she's ready to fuck everyone in the room. :D
:killer: :killer: :killer: :killer: