PDA

View Full Version : Mental Illness Plagues Current Vets

Steve Savicki
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,128465,00.html

More than one third of American troops returning from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan have been diagnosed with some sort of mental or “psychosocial” disorder, a new report from the Archives of Internal Medicine finds.

Out of 103,788 veterans assessed in the study, titled “Bringing the War Back Home,” more than 32,000 veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom who were discharged from the military between 2001 and 2005 were found by Veterans Affairs examiners to have mental health problems, including substance abuse.

The authors of the study – lead by Dr. Karen H. Seal of the University of California, San Francisco – found that a majority of those determined to have mental health problems were diagnosed with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, or more than 13,200 vets.

And those afflicted with mental or psychosocial disorders tended to be the youngest troops.

“Veterans aged 18-24 were at the greatest risk for receiving mental health or Posttraumatic Stress Disorder diagnoses compared with veterans 40 years or older,” the San Francisco VA-sponsored study found. “Targeted early detection and intervention beginning in primary care settings are needed to prevent chronic mental illness and disability.”

A spkoeswoman from Veterans Affairs headquarters in Washington was unable to provide a comment by press time.

The study’s release comes as the Pentagon is reeling from controversy over patient care at its veterans medical facilities, with lawmakers on Capitol Hill calling for investigations and more resources for mental health care. It also sheds light on an expanding group of casualties from the conflict whose scars are more than skin deep.

In response to the growing problem, the White House called on Congress March 9 to establish a new Medical Support Fund that would “improve the effectiveness of efforts to transition returning service members from deployment in support of the global war on terror to a successful return to productive military service or civilian society.” The request included $50 million for the fund, which could be used for new research, construction projects or could be added to the Defense Health Program budget.

The medical researchers found that about 13 percent of those diagnosed were women and 54 percent were below 30 years-old. Additionally, more than 30 percent were minorities and about 50 percent were members of the Guard and Reserve.

The complexities of urban warfare and counterinsurgency operations typical of Iraq and Afghanistan contributed to the mental health problems found by VA officials.

“The majority of military personnel experience high-intensity guerrilla warfare and the chronic threat of roadside bombs and improvised explosive devices,” the study said. “Some of the soldiers endure multiple tours of duty, many experience traumatic injury and more of the wounded survive than ever before.”

Maybe this new mental illness should be called Chenrumushitis.:mad:

FORD
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
The truly mentally ill are the psychotic bastards who started this shit.

Steve Savicki
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't see how the Repubs will win '08 after this!
Over one third!

BigBadBrian
03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
I don't see how the Repubs will win '08 after this!
Over one third!

What's your excuse, you weren't there?

:cool:

BigBadBrian
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The truly mentally ill are the psychotic bastards who started this shit.

And the ones who believe in the 9/11 conspiracy fantasies.

hideyoursheep
03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
What's your excuse, you weren't there?

And your excuse is?............:rolleyes:

FORD
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
And the ones who believe in the 9/11 conspiracy fantasy that 19 jackasses with disposable razor blades forced a 2 hour stand down of the United States air defenses.

Yeah, them too.

Steve Savicki
03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
My reasoning is that the troops weren't mentally ill before Iraq.

BigBadBrian
03-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by FORD

And the ones who believe in the 9/11 conspiracy fantasy that 19 jackasses with disposable razor blades forced a 2 hour stand down of the United States air defenses.

Only you and a mixed bag of nuts believe that.

Off your meds, huh?

Ellyllions
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't see how this report is suprising at all. The culture differences are immense between here and there. Here death and mutiliation only happens on the television screens, in all of those middle eastern countries it's an every day sight. And not just because of the war...

I just can't imagine how I would cope with such a vast difference. Things here are so "clean" and most grotesque violence is hidden from public view. We even cover car crashes with tarps while we're working them. But over there, the bodies are displayed in protest or in honor. We sanitize everything to the point that we're almost disillusioned with death. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just very different from what is considered "norm" over there.

My grandfather landed on Iwo Jima. He was part of the second round of troops to land so he saw the mass carnage of the first wave. He ended up digging in vain in the b-b like ground to try to get away from the bombardment his squadron was taking. He survived by hiding under the bodies of his fallen friends. He was in a mental hospital in California for 4 months before he was honorably discharged and sent home. He NEVER got over it.

BITEYOASS
03-15-2007, 10:56 AM
After I came back from Iraq it came to my conclusion that the idea of democracy in the middle east is nothing but a pipe dream concocted by elite in order to steal some serious cash. And ever since then I've been hell bent on doing whatever I can to get these damn neocons impeached. It's become a hobby of mine. In a similar subject if you wanna take part or start a protest over in Jackson, Mich. then try this:

Rove to speak at Republican event
Friday, March 09, 2007
By Brian Wheeler

bwheeler@citpat.com -- 768-4928

Karl Rove, the political guru who drew up campaigns that put and kept President Bush in the White House, will visit Jackson on March 24, local Republicans said Thursday.

The president's deputy chief of staff will be the keynote speaker for the county Republican Party's annual Lincoln Day Dinner. Rove will speak at 1 p.m. at Daryl's Downtown, 151 W. Michigan Ave.

Rove has been credited as architect of the president's successful 2000 and 2004 campaigns.

"We've never had a headliner like him," said Rick Baxter, the county party's chairman .

Baxter said he secured Rove's appearance simply by asking, although the approval process took a month.

Rove likely will deliver a 40-minute speech at the Lincoln Day event, plus take part in a private, half-hour reception at 12:30 p.m.

2007 Jackson Citizen Patriot. Used with permission

I told my sister about it and hopefully she spread the word at MSU about it.

BigBadBrian
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
And ever since then I've been hell bent on doing whatever I can to get these damn neocons impeached.

You ought to take up chasing girls instead. It'll be more worthy and successful in the long run.

:gulp:

BITEYOASS
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
You ought to take up chasing girls instead. It'll be more worthy and successful in the long run.

:gulp:

Been there, done that, the older ones were the easiest and I now have a fiancee, so now I don't have to worry about that BS game anymore. Typical of neocons, preaching family values one minute than wild promiscuous sex the next. Another way to distract people from the big fuck up that is the federal government.

hideyoursheep
03-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
In a similar subject if you wanna take part or start a protest over in Jackson, Mich. then try this:

Rove to speak at Republican event
Friday, March 09, 2007
By Brian Wheeler

bwheeler@citpat.com -- 768-4928

Rove will speak at 1 p.m. at Daryl's Downtown, 151 W. Michigan Ave.

I told my sister about it and hopefully she spread the word at MSU about it. I'd love to go up there for the chance to grin at him while I repeatedly call him a faggot ,while wearing a sandwich board saying "GOD HATES LIARS!!"...

Actually, I'd like to do more than that...I'd better stay away....