X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Machine Head - The Blackening

Remember the feeling you got when you heard "master of Puppets" for the first time? Or "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Number of the Beast" or any other classic metal album?

Well I just had that feeling listening to this record.

Fuck me it's face-rippingly good.

I always though Machine Head's first record, Burn My Eyes (1994), was going to be their classic: at that time metal was in a slump, grunge was ruiling the roost and HEAVY shit just wasn't doing it anymore, Pantera and Sepultura aside, death/thrash were spent forces. But that record blew everything away: raw, heavy, stomping with intense lyrics and a hardcore punk flavour to metal tunes, it crushed.

But "The Blackening" just smokes about every metal album I've heard in 10 years. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating, I think the last 2-3 years has been good for really heavy music: Tool "10,000 Days" was as brilliant and mind-bending as ever, and Mastodon's "Leviathon" and "Blood mountain" were both classics of heavy music. But "The Blackening" is different from a lot of heavy music at the moment: it's METAL through and through.

This is ultra-aggressive shit: insane thrash riffs (some of these songs must have ten riffs in them) that remind me of vintage metal (ie fat and muscular) combined with time changes that Dave Mustaine would have been proud of in 1990, and melodic guitar assaults reminiscent of 80s Maiden and serious shredding done just to the right point, and avoiding self indulgence.

The drumming alternates from double-bass assaults, to Hardcore breakbeats without being overly showy and adding power to the songs, I cna't beleive all the drum trakcs were done in two days.

I recommend that everyone gives this record a listen: I know a lot of you don't like cookie-monster vocals, but Robb Fylnn doesn't use them - his voice alternates from roar to soar: there's no faking here, it's real anger and rage, beautifully emotional.

Only eight songs, but four of them knock on the door or go over 10 minutes, and yet there's no space here, no padding its all insane epic material like vintage Maiden but on full agro tilt the whole way: The last two songs "Wolves" and "A Farewell To Arms" are the record's peak - mesmerizing, expect a soar neck!

And "Aesthetics of Hate" which slams a fundamentalist Christian who said Diambad deserved to be shot is a fantastic triubte - old school thrash style, but with a twist. In all honesty, there's not a filler or a dull moment on here.

Machine Head haven't done anything wholly original, they've taken all the best bits of metal, old and new (not nu!) and welded it into something which is more than the some of its parts: this isn't a synthesis, it's a record that raises the bar to a whole new level.

Album of the year? Possibly the best metal record in 10.....

I recommend all lovers of HEAVY shit give it a spin...
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me
  • MERRYKISSMASS2U
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Wow, I'll have to check it out!

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Do!!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed....

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Review from Metal Hammer magazine (UK)

Metal Hammer (UK):

MACHINE HEAD
        The Blackening

Metal's legendary fighters raise the bar.

It's hard to believe that less than five years ago, Machine Head were on the brink of devastation. The relative failure of 2001's 'Supercharger' album and the subsequent split from their record label had robbed them of their confidence and direction. Appallingly, the future looked bleak. As a result, the manner of their comeback - the astonishing return to form of 2003's 'Through the Ashes of Empires' and the triumphant live shows that followed - was all the more welcome and heartening for old and new fans alike.

And now that stirring tale of victory snatched from the jaws of defeat continues: 'The Blackening' is absolutely fucking stunning. With only eight tracks but coming in at over an hour in length, the creative quantum leap the band made last time round with mini-epics like 'Imperium' and 'In The Presence of My Enemies' has clearly gathered pace, resulting in an album that takes the best from all that Machine Head have achieved in the past, and cranks everything up an insane number of qualitative notches.

Gargantuan opener 'Clenching the Fists of Dissent' sets the tone with maximum dramatic impact. It begins with an ominous, sombre intro and then erupts into a swirling labyrinth of brutal riffs, structural twists and textural turns. Every member of the band is playing out of their skin as Robb Flynn unleashes his finest ever vocal performance; something he sustains throughout the album. Far more than just an exercise in technical showboating, 'Clenching...' is also a wonderfully crafted song, brimming with emotion and controlled ferocity. Remarkably, each of the remaining songs matches it. 'Beautiful Mourning' is a slamming, succinct anthem that soothes as it crushes. 'Aesthetics of Hate' snarls, rips and lacerates at a breathless pace; thrash metal's corpse regenerated via an eye-popping dose of fiercely modern progressive protein. 'Now I Lay Thee Down' swings like a buffalo's nutsack, Flynn's voice veering from roar to soar, while the vitrilolic 'Slanderous' is a celebratory onslaught of sinewy riffs; air-tight, relentless and irresistible. 'Halo' is the album's grand dynamic ballad, albeit one with the pulverising, slow-burn momentum of a runaway steamroller. Best of all, the closing brace of 'Wolves' and 'A Farewell To Arms' - two turbulent, shape-shifting colossi that contain more moments of savage perfection than most bands could squeeze out in a lifetime of trying - are the best of the lot; an exquisite, 20-minute valediction that should have fans jumping off their sofas and breaking into spontaneous applause.

More than any band since Maiden, Machine Head have cultivated a powerful bond with their fans through sheer honesty, humility and a fervent devotion to metal's sacred principles. Once this magnificent album reaches the ears of the faithful, that bond will be set in stone forever, and you sense that Flynn and his comrades know it. No wonder 'The Blackening' hums and crackles with such overpowering confidence and pride. Not just the finest album of their career, this is Machine Head's victory address. We never doubted them, they never doubted us, and this masterpiece represents the spoils of war. Enjoy it.

10 / 10

-DOM LAWSON

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Review from Kerrang:

Kerrang!:

MACHINE HEAD
          The Blackening

Taking The Power Back
          OAKLAND RAIDERS PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS ON COLOSSAL SIXTH ALBUM

'This is a call to arms, will you stand beside me? This is a time to fight, no more compromising', furiously spits Robb Flynn on 'Halo'. It's not only a plea, but it's a firm statement of intent that resonates through every savage riff, frantic drumbeat, thundering bassline, screaming solo and venomous lyric of 'The Blackening'. Machine Head needed to deliver the album of their career. And they have delivered. In spades.

For their sixth album, the Bay Area metallers have directed their focus on the very elements that make them Machine Head, amplifying every aspect of their sound, pushing the envelope of their abilities and distilling it all into their most ambitious, powerful, credible and accomplished work to date. With only one of its eight tracks clocking in at under five minutes - half of them weighing in at a mammoth nine minutes-plus - it's epic without being self-indulgent, diverse without being drawn-out and angry without being clichéd.

Opener 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent' begins with a distant, echoing bass strum, building to an acoustic intro backed with a militaristic drum crescendo before exploding into a ravaging riff for a 10-minute thrashfest. 'Beautiful Mourning' bursts into life with a cyclonic swirl of guitars and defiant 'fuck you all!'. Slowing the pace a little with 'Now I Lay Thee Down' - featuring the obligatory shredding breakdown, natch - it's the closest they get to a ballad; in the most viciously powerful sense of the word, of course. The slow-burning 'Halo' is another hefty epic, with all the ammo in the Machine Head arsenal thrown into the ring, each musician stretching himself with every note and drumbeat, the fury balanced with serenity, allowing the suffocating anger room to breathe.

Their crowning glory, however, is 'Aesthetics Of Hate', written in response to the media circus surrounding the death of Dimebag Darrell. Clattering into life with a galloping opening gambit it charges at a furious pace, Flynn snarling his vitriol through gritted teeth before taking on Phil Demmel in a frantic duel of a guitar solo before exploding back to life, breaking down into a solemn death march and collapsing in a squall of feedback.

To coin a lyric, Flynn and co have taken their rage to overcome and ploughed all their fury into producing their definitive album. In 'The Blackening', Machine Head have not only created a monster; they have produced their absolute masterpiece.

5 / 5

-Caren Gibson

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

From Metal Edge

Metal Edge:

MACHINE HEAD
            The Blackening

Just as they did in 1994 with their debut Burn My Eyes, Machine Head has once again lifted the proverbial metal bar and set a new standard for bands to be measured against. Although Machine Head's sound has been the subject of much scrutiny in previous years, they rejuvenated and redeemed their career with 2003's Through the Ashes of Empires. But redemption is nothing without validation, and The Blackening, the band's first effort in nearly four years, is the musical stamp of validation that transcends their own limitations, pitting Machine Head once again at the head of a pack of wolves.

On the surface, The Blackening is Machine Head's masterpiece. Four of the eight songs comprise nearly forty of The Blackening's sixty minutes, two of which eclipse the ten minute mark. During a time when good song writing seems to be at an all time low (quality three minute songs are apparently difficult to write for most) Machine Head has figured out a way to write songs that are long and compelling, simple and complex, brutal and beautiful. With The Blackening, Machine Head has embarked on a path many bands fear to tread and they have successfully accomplished a feat that has not been reached since Metallica's Master of Puppets.

But it goes even deeper. The Blackening is an epic journey through a hypnotic blend of thrash roots and metal riffs that starkly contrasts the more melodic elements of Machine Head with the heavier aspects reminiscent of Burn My Eyes. Resonating inside the deepest and darkest chambers of your mind, The Blackening takes you places your mind doesn't want to go. Highlighted by tracks "Clenching the Fists of Dissent," "Halo," and "A Farewell to Arms," the dark and strikingly aggressive music penetrates and haunts you. The resulting cathartic purge, whether a scream or a cry, is a "calling to arms" for all to stand up to their own demons. After all, "this is our time to fight, no more compromise."

And there is no compromising. As it stands now, The Blackening is the best release of 2007 and bands will have to work really hard to change that. It is not another act of redemption for Machine Head, but rather for the fans, as The Blackening is one of the few albums that elicit an emotional response. Your soul cannot feel clean after listening to only parts of The Blackening, however over the course of an hour it is a blackening and cleansing all in one.

-Andrew Gargano

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

From Blabbermouth:

Blabbermouth:

MACHINE HEAD
              The Blackening

"The Blackening", Machine Head's sixth studio album, is quite simply the band's best effort since its shattering 1994 debut, "Burn My Eyes", and may even surpass that modern classic. It may also be the best all-out metal recording of 2007. This is a no-holds-barred, brutally heavy, uncompromising album, a labor of love on which every single note of music bleeds with the passion and anger of Robb Flynn and his bandmates. And the music they've created here — eight songs, with two of them passing the nine-minute mark and another pair cruising past ten minutes — is relentless, monstrously heavy and perhaps lyrically darker than anything the band has done before. In short, Machine Head has made its masterpiece.

Machine Head — and Flynn in particular — have always been under intense scrutiny since arriving on the metal scene in such unforgettable style with "Burn My Eyes" all those years ago. In the ensuing decade and a half, expectations and commercial pressures seemed to drive everyone a little crazy: the band, its label, and its fans, all of whom seem to be searching for some sort of abstract, undefined height of perfection and success. The frantic overthinking on the still-worthy sophomore album "The More Things Change" was followed by the more market-driven pursuits of "The Burning Red" (which was nevertheless a solid CD) and "Supercharger" (widely acknowledged as the band's lowest ebb). Fifth album "Through the Ashes of Empire" found the group righting the ship, discarding counsel about current music trends and finding its way back to the most pure-sounding Machine Head CD since the first. Freed of commercial considerations, "Empire" was the best-received MH effort in a while and paved the way for the all-out assault of "The Blackening".

Aside from the first record, this is the ultimate Machine Head album: it clearly sounds like the work of a band completely following its artistic bent without giving a damn for the consequences. Only that kind of mindset would allow any act to open an album with a track that runs for 10 minutes and 34 seconds. But that's just what Machine Head has done with "Clenching the Fists of Dissent". The song's haunting, gentle opening soon gives way to an overwhelming barrage of riffs, tempo changes and mood swings, each calibrated for maximum heaviness and impact. The track sets the tone for the rest of the album, with a vibe that veers between fury and despair.

The sonic pyrotechnics continue straight into "Beautiful Mourning" and the literally breathtaking "Aesthetics of Hate", which channels its title emotion into a blazing volcano of pure speed and furious guitarwork from Flynn and Phil Demmel. The fact that the song is driven by Flynn's anger over the media response to Dimebag Darrell's death only adds to its raw energy. "Now I Lay Thee Down" is the closest that Machine Head comes to easing off the accelerator on this record, but even its slight lean in a ballad-like direction is balanced by its onslaught of slow, ominous riffing.

The incredible barrage of metallic power continues on "Slanderous" and especially "Halo", whose main riff is nothing short of classic Machine Head. All four members of the band — Flynn, Demmel, bassist Adam Duce and drummer Dave McClain — have not only risen to the occasion on this record, but surpassed themselves, with Flynn and Demmel playing off each other in an intense, dynamic way that Flynn has arguably never had before with any previous Machine Head guitarist. The fluid playing of all four members and seamless songwriting keeps each song lively and interesting, so that even the most lengthy numbers never feel like they're dragging.

"The Blackening" ends almost where it begins, with "A Farewell to Arms", like "Dissent", addressing the spiraling, catastrophic situation that the once-mighty U.S. has found itself in thanks to its depraved, delusional, war-mongering leadership. But whereas "Dissent" is a fevered call to revolution, "Farewell" is more mournful and accusing: "War hawks and senators they sit tight, so trite/Never their sons will know what it's like to fight/But soldiers are dead/And children have bled/And the silence is numb/What have we become?" Some here on the Blabbermouth message boards have already commented on the political nature of the lyrics, but Flynn's clear, unrestrained feelings on these subjects only add to the sense of artistic freedom and emotional power on the disc.

In a recent span of time that has seen credible comeback efforts from Slayer and Type O Negative, plus worthy new albums from contenders like Lamb of God, Trivium and Mastodon, it's fitting that Machine Head — who waged an often lonely battle to keep its identity through metal's ups and downs — have topped them all and set the standard for the next big return to form (we're looking at you, Metallica). But "The Blackening" is no mere comeback: it's the nearly perfect testament to the musical, personal and commercial journey that Machine Head has taken and survived all these years, their sound and integrity restored and intact. It's also one of the purest, finest, most powerful expressions of modern heavy metal released in this young but already blackened century.

9.5 / 10

-Don Kaye

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

From Maximum Metal (this guy goes even further than my praise..)

Maximum Metal:

MACHINE HEAD
                The Blackening

ALBUM SPOTLIGHT

And so it is. Finally the age old question is answered. After years and years of speculation and intrigue, the final piece of the puzzle is laid before us.

What is the greatest heavy metal album of all time?

The answer. Machine Head's "The Blackening".

Obviously that sort of question and answer format could be derived from any sixteen year old fan forum commenting on any notable mainstream record release. However I feel that my justification of this album comes from experience. Forgive my somewhat arrogant approach, but I feel that I have been around the block a few times over and have lived to tell about it. My metal expertise lies within thirty long years of ear and neck damage, stretching tendons, muscles, and joints in a never ending quest for everything heavy metal. I've seen the rise of Bay Area thrash, the invention of death metal and it's sub-genre innovators, the dark drape of black metal, the false hope of rap-core, and the ugly face of nu-metal. Along with those famed landmarks comes the underground facets of our shiny little nugget, those smaller but equally powerful movements like power metal, hard rock, AOR, stoner, and the loveable but quirky Teutonic invasion. Through a personal milestone of three-thousand CDs bolted to the studs of my household walls to an insurmountable stack of demos and CDRs of bands twice the world over, I have been left with ONE album that simply dwarfs all others. ONE album that simply achieves the proverbial "top of the mountain". This, my fellow headbangers and friends abroad, is Machine Head's "The Blackening".

I remember hearing Machine Head on the "Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight" soundtrack way back in 1994, weighing in with a barrage of sonic annihilation on the selection "Demon Knight". From that point on my collection has always been updated semi-annually with whatever bombastic bad-ass Machine Head tunes dropped from the sheer heights of metallic aggression. From Robb Flynn's gravel scraped voice to Dave McClain's obviously under-rated talent and skill behind the skins, Machine Head have adopted and captured a metal sound that is simply like no other. With countless followers and clones, this band, this gigantic beast of sound still chugs away with the most abrasive output ever recorded on an audio format. I dare any leatherneck worth his salt to find me any "extreme" metaller that is this heavy, melodic, and groove friendly yet still educates masses with lyrics that are not blasphemous or Satanic.

The bay area band made a serious impact with their debut "Burn My Eyes" in 1994. The band's sophomore release, "The More Things Change", rivaled only Pantera in sheer heaviness and aggression. The group changed things and leaned more towards mainstream musical philosophies with "The Burning Red" as well as 2001's "Supercharger". In 2003 the band enlisted former Flynn bandmate (Vio-lence) Phil Demmel and recorded "Through The Ashes Of Empires" in 2004. The album went on to be the highest selling record for Roadrunner Records UK and made a big splash domestically. In late 2006 the band once again partnered with sound genius Colin Richardson to produce this generation's "Master Of Puppets", an album simply entitled "The Blackening".

Never in my life have I heard any band make this type of sound on a record. The music coming out of my speakers is simply revolutionary. This is innovation at work, the beginning of something entirely new and fresh in today's modern heavy metal world. While over a decade ago Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" took the headbangin' man to extraordinary heights in terms of brutality and musicianship, it is this decade and this time that sweeps a brand new sound into the fold, a polished and perfectly executed album that simply contains every single drop of blood, sweat, and tears that heavy metal has spilled forth in thirty plus years of bands, music, and madness. This is a relentless assault, an iron lunged, super-heated frenzy of musical might, never compromised and never bowing to any maker or master. What could easily be assumed as a by-product of today's political climate and the war, "The Blackening" is simply mesmerizing in its ability to add so many elements together to fuel a supersonic sound machine. From Flynn's pulverizing vocals to six-string maniac Demmel's lead playing to the concrete sledge hammer of Adam Duce's bass, this is simply metal on metal, scraping the rivets, steel, and bolts from a society that has simply become hostile.

As the old metal world simply grows tired, weak, and weary, Machine Head rises like a phoenix, a steel winged savage that simply exists as the symbolic force of heavy metal. It simply does not get any better than this. As the years go by and song after song hits CD, MP3, and any other digital invention yet undiscovered, the tempered metal fan will always call upon "The Blackening" to soothe distress and fuel any desire to achieve, dominate, and overcome. For these are the days of "The Blackening".

-EC

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

From Rocksound:

Rocksound:

MACHINE HEAD
                  The Blackening

ALBUM OF THE MONTH

Machine Head's 1994 debut 'Burn My Eyes' tore strips off the ears, and no subsequent release has come close to its power. 'The More Things Change' was a credible follow-up, 'The Burning Red' saw the band descend into the popular ranks of nu-metal, and 'Supercharger' was the ultimate crisis point in the band's career. Fifth album 'Through The Ashes Of Empires' marked a welcome return to form, with standout track 'Imperium' mimicking the political chaos of 'Davidian' nine years on. But nothing could touch the raw force of 'Burn My Eyes' - until now. 'The Blackening' begins like Machine Head's very own 'Master Of Puppets'. The band have already recorded a cover version of Metallica's 'Battery', and opening track 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent' mimics it by walking a stately march and then breaking into a run. Two minutes in, a full-on old-skool thrash attack hammers the nail into 'Supercharger''s coffin forever. Thus begins 10 minutes of pure Machine Head carnage, where life-affirming chants of "fight!" break through the noise and set the listener up for what's about to come.

From here on in, the band revamp their finest riffs and breakdowns, playing them in the modern metal style they created on 'Through The Ashes Of Empires'.

'Beautiful Mourning' shares aggressive sonic qualities with 'A Thousand Lies', but the beautiful part comes from Robb Flynn's improved slow and sinister way of singing. Similarly, 'Slanderous' recalls the galloping guitars of 'Bay Of Pigs', but sounds sleeker and stronger.

If 'Through The Ashes Of Empires' wasn't enough to realign Machine Head with the metal community, 'Aesthetics Of Hate' will be. The song takes its title from a letter of the same name, penned by a man called William Grim on conservative website The Iconoclast after Dimebag Darrell was shot on stage. Where Grim's letter damns "ignorant, filthy, and hideously ugly heavy metal fans" for their passions, Machine Head's song damns grim with the vitriolic refrain "may the hand of God strike them down".

Flynn's anger remains strong after 15 years, and rips through the smooth production on 'The Blackening'. Anti-war themes remain central, from 'Clenching The Fists Of Dissent''s defiant chanting to 'Halo''s reactionary cry, "this is a call to arms, will you stand beside me?" Here, bursts of melodic riffage get lodged in the brain like negative feedback loops, while the chorus shares a hymn-like quality with 'Beautiful Mourning' and tale of tragedy 'Now I Lay Thee Down'.

Machine Head meld these themes with another dose of thrash to end on 10-minute epic 'A Farewell To Arms'. Its title comes from of Hemingway's anti-war novels, again aligning the band with Metallica, who borrowed 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' for their own metal masterpiece. Chills run down the spine as Flynn ends by asking: "This silence is numb, what have we become?" in summation of 'The Blackening'. This is Machine Head's finest hour since 'Burn My Eyes', and it may prove to be their greatest ever.

9 / 10

-Eleanor Goodman

Comment

• Roy Munson
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

I gotta check this album out. Everything I hear about it, and I do mean everything, is great.

Thanks for putting all of these reviews up!!
                    Originally posted by ELVIS
                    I guess you're right...

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Roy Munson
                      I gotta check this album out. Everything I hear about it, and I do mean everything, is great.

Thanks for putting all of these reviews up!!
                      It is great, trust me: it's extreme metal, but melodic and accessible.

No probs on the reviews, I posted them to show that I'm not the only one who thinks this record is an all time great, although the guy who says it's "the best metal record ever" is going too far,,,,

Comment

• Roy Munson
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                        It is great, trust me: it's extreme metal, but melodic and accessible.

No probs on the reviews, I posted them to show that I'm not the only one who thinks this record is an all time great, although the guy who says it's "the best metal record ever" is going too far,,,,

There is always one of those.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to check this one out. I cunt wait!!

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        I guess you're right...

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

All I've got to say:

Comment

• cMb
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Feb 2007

This album smokes.
                            Is this album on Burn My Eyes level? Only time will tell.
                            BME has truly stood the test of time & is a metal classic.
                            I always thought Flynn was a great vocalist.

Their cover of 'Hole In The Sky' was the highlight of NIB2.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by cMb

Their cover of 'Hole In The Sky' was the highlight of NIB2.
                              I've always thought that too.

And it's because they fucked around with it rather than carbon copying. Flynn said that "you can't out heavy Sabbath", so they had to be inventive and it worked.

Comment

Working...