PDA

View Full Version : Official Barry Bonds 2007 Thread

Bill Lumbergh
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be a one man thread?! :D

Bill Lumbergh
03-29-2007, 03:27 PM
5 HR and 10 Rbi this spring......he's a helluva lot healthier than last year, thats for damn sure......if he stays healthy I'm thinking anywhere from 28-35 HR.......80-85 rbi(he's STILL gonna get walked like mad, of course).......gonna cringe everytime a ball gets hit out to left field, though he's STILL not as bad out there as everyone makes him out to be in his old age.....still gets a great jump and gets rid of the ball quickly. First and foremost, all I want for Christmas is a playoff berth, and it probably wont be this year, but with our young pitching staff, look out in the next few years......

Combat Ready
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Damn....A fellow Giants Fan! I moved from Northern CA a few years back....Really enjoyed Pac Bell park and Candlestick before it. The bleacher seats right behind Bonds in his prime at the stick were better than one might think.

As for this year, I too think Bonds is capable of hitting 35 and driving in 100. The addition of Zito more than offsets the traitor Schmidt jumping ship to the hated fucking Dodgers----Freakin' bastard!

SI picks the Giants to finish 5th in the division. I think they are dead wrong....As usual. The Giants will contend if Bochy can give the vets time off throughout the year.

Go Giants.....Hmmm Baby!

Bill Lumbergh
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Combat Ready
Damn....A fellow Giants Fan! I moved from Northern CA a few years back....Really enjoyed Pac Bell park and Candlestick before it. The bleacher seats right behind Bonds in his prime at the stick were better than one might think.

As for this year, I too think Bonds is capable of hitting 35 and driving in 100. The addition of Zito more than offsets the traitor Schmidt jumping ship to the hated fucking Dodgers----Freakin' bastard!

SI picks the Giants to finish 5th in the division. I think they are dead wrong....As usual. The Giants will contend if Bochy can give the vets time off throughout the year.

Go Giants.....Hmmm Baby!

How funny, I just gave you a 5 star vote in the EEAS thread....little did I know! Yeah, I basically tossed that SI Baseball preview issue in the trash when I saw that. Their hatred for Barry is what caused THAT prediction.....Schmidt's dead to me, just like good ol' Jeff"The Truck Washer" Kunt. I agree we'll be in the NL West race all year, the Dodgers are FAR from the powerhouse the media is making them out to be. No way in hell we finish below the Rocks or D-Backs IMO....

EbDawson
03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
You've got a great manager.

However, I hope Bonds contracts a painful case of herpes/hemorroids.

VanHalener
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
You've got a great manager.

However, I hope Bonds contracts a painful case of herpes/hemorroids.

I second the motion. That cheating bastard!

fryingdutchman
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Fuck Barry Bonds.

Fuck him to hell.

He's this generation's Pete Rose....and he should be treated as such.

fryingdutchman
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
As for this year, I too think Bonds is capable of hitting 35 and driving in 100.

Damn straight!!!

And if he ups his dose of steroids...he could DOUBLE THAT!!

:rolleyes:

VanHalener
03-29-2007, 09:39 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjqKL06eROI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjqKL06eROI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKw06yCeKOA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKw06yCeKOA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Combat Ready
03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
Damn straight!!!

And if he ups his dose of steroids...he could DOUBLE THAT!!

Hey man---I'm a Giants Fan and a Bonds fan too. Always have been and always will. You think there may be a pitcher or two out ther a little juiced up as well?

It's not for me to judge, players have been using some type of performance inhancer for years----Shit....Since the beginning of time.

So, maybe jump down from your "Ivory Tower" and enjoy a cup of shut the fuck up? Just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

fryingdutchman
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey man---I'm a Giants Fan and a Bonds fan too. Always have been and always will. You think there may be a pitcher or two out ther a little juiced up as well?

I don't give a fuck about pitchers, so don't change the subject. I'm talking about that lying, cheating asshole Bonds....who wants to lay claim to legendary records that were set back in the days when people weren't "juiced."

So yes...FUCK BONDS! And while we're at it, FUCK MCGWIRE, FUCK SOSA, and even FUCK LENNY DYKSTRA!

It's not for me to judge, players have been using some type of performance inhancer for years----Shit....Since the beginning of time.

"Since the beginning of time"....really? Does this even apply to the ball players of the ancient Mayan civilization?

And it's "enhancer" by the way....just a pet peeve.

And guess what? Whether you think it's "your place to judge" or not, you DO judge every time you buy a ticket to a game or buy that losers jersey to wear on your back. And from the sounds of things you have judged his conduct as "just fine."

So, maybe jump down from your "Ivory Tower" and enjoy a cup of shut the fuck up? Just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

Maybe you could jump off the Golden Gate Bridge.

This is the Roth Army forums, brother. It's the place for opinions and disagreements. If my point of view puts me in an "ivory tower", then I have to presume you're enjoying the view from your own lofty perch.

I'll gladly enjoy a cup of "shut the fuck up" if you're buyin', Bonds-sheep. Over our drinks we can discuss more worthwhile people for you to idolize.

Combat Ready
03-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I'll gladly enjoy a cup of "shut the fuck up" if you're buyin', Bonds-sheep. Over our drinks we can discuss more worthwhile people for you to idolize. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude....It's Baseball. Sit back, relax and-----Enjoy your drink. After all....You deserve it! Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Combat Ready
03-29-2007, 11:47 PM

I don't give a fuck about pitchers, so don't change the subject. I'm talking about that lying, cheating asshole Bonds....who wants to lay claim to legendary records that were set back in the days when people weren't "juiced."

Yep--players have never taken enhancers such as crosstops or other amphetamines over the years for an edge....What was I thinking?

So yes...FUCK BONDS! And while we're at it, FUCK MCGWIRE, FUCK SOSA, and even FUCK LENNY DYKSTRA!

[/B]

"Since the beginning of time"....really? Does this even apply to the ball players of the ancient Mayan civilization?

Yeah...I'm pretty sure some player was munching on a coca leaf between innings. You know----a liitle extra on the fastball?

And it's "enhancer" by the way....just a pet peeve.

Thanks. Spelling was never my forte....or even my fivete.

And guess what? Whether you think it's "your place to judge" or not, you DO judge every time you buy a ticket to a game or buy that losers jersey to wear on your back. And from the sounds of things you have judged his conduct as "just fine."

Nope---don't jump to uneducated conclusions...like some folks. That's all. Been a Giants fan for years and no pencil dick going to change that anytime soon.

Maybe you could jump off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Probably not

This is the Roth Army forums, brother. It's the place for opinions and disagreements. If my point of view puts me in an "ivory tower", then I have to presume you're enjoying the view from your own lofty perch.

No prob with your point of view. Hey---Opinions are like....Ah...you know.

I'll gladly enjoy a cup of "shut the fuck up" if you're buyin', Bonds-sheep. Over our drinks we can discuss more worthwhile people for you to idolize. [/B]

Pal---You deserve it....Drink up.

Bill Lumbergh
03-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Nah, I'm sure NOBODY on any of these guys teams has EVER juiced up....and by the way, I've NEVER heard any of these "blasts" before.....totally original..... :rolleyes: Keep the love comin' guys! :D Too bad i'll be out of town through Wed. of next week, but I'm sure you guys will have already shown Barry and the Giants the love here..........

fryingdutchman
03-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Pal---You deserve it....Drink up.

My friend...

Next time a simple "you were right" will suffice.

It will be a helluva lot easier to read as opposed to that mess you posted which turned the quote function into the internet equivalent of a back alley coat-hanger abortion.

PlexiBrown
03-30-2007, 05:53 AM
http://espn.go.com/media/radio/2004/1203/photo/bondsjr_i.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/barry_bonds2.jpg

Combat Ready
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
My friend...

Next time a simple "you were right" will suffice.

It will be a helluva lot easier to read as opposed to that mess you posted which turned the quote function into the internet equivalent of a back alley coat-hanger abortion.

Relax---It's baseball!

chi-town324
04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
i heard his feet grew 2 sizes from age 39-42 WTF? hes not on juice, hes on gorilla roids ...hes gonna break it no doubt...sad but very few will care...

bastardog
04-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Go Bonds!
Who cares about steroids......what I want is a good game.
For me, all MLB player can use steroids is their live so they can suicide in the middle of the centerfield and I don't care.
If all can use it.....then it is not an advantage.

Combat Ready
04-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by bastardog
Go Bonds!
For me, all MLB player can use steroids is their live so they can suicide in the middle of the centerfield and I don't care.

Agreed---I'm not condoning any usage. But it's a free country (at least it should be) and to each his own! And....WTF---does gaining 20 or 30 pounds over 20 years make you a freakin' steriod junkie?

Where do you draw the line? A little smoke? Caffine? Nicotine? Sugar? Make 'em all legal.....Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

fryingdutchman
04-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by bastardog
Go Bonds!

Agreed---I'm not condoning any usage. But it's a free country (at least it should be) and to each his own! And....WTF---does gaining 20 or 30 pounds over 20 years make you a freakin' steriod junkie?

Where do you draw the line? A little smoke? Caffine? Nicotine? Sugar? Make 'em all legal.....Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Sorry...but I still have to disagree.

Breaking age-old batting records by pumping yourself full of drugs is cheating, pure and simple. And no credit should be awarded to the player that does it.

The guys who set those records did it on skill, athleticism, and God-given talent.

We might as well just start handing out Wile E. Coyote's Acme jet-powered roller skates so people can start crushing track and field records if it matters so little to you folks.

Of course, the track and field records they'd be crushing would be those that were set in recent years by people who were "juiced", so maybe it IS just a natural progression...

bastardog
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry...but I still have to disagree.

Breaking age-old batting records by pumping yourself full of drugs is cheating, pure and simple. And no credit should be awarded to the player that does it.

The guys who set those records did it on skill, athleticism, and God-given talent.

We might as well just start handing out Wile E. Coyote's Acme jet-powered roller skates so people can start crushing track and field records if it matters so little to you folks.

Of course, the track and field records they'd be crushing would be those that were set in recent years by people who were "juiced", so maybe it IS just a natural progression...

How can we could be so sure that the record was made just on "skills, athleticism and God given talent"? If there was no drug test...

In my oppinion Bonds had (and stil have) the skills, athletiscism and God given talent........with the steroids he just could use all that better because of his body been stronger because of better training. Just hitting you with that shit wouldn't make your muscles to grow.....you have to do hard training.
I'm sure Mr. Olimpia (body building guy with exaggerated muscles even on the face) can't bat .300 in MLB.

by the way I'm not saying that abuse of any kind of drug/steroid is the way to go, but I'm not going to deny his mark just because he used that in a time when no one was tested.....and most of them use any kind of improvers (legal or illegal)

blueturk
04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Fuck Barry Bonds.

Fuck him to hell.

He's this generation's Pete Rose....and he should be treated as such.

Pete Rose was never the egomaniacal spoiled fucking imaginary race-card calling asshole that Bonds is. Give Pete a break.

bastardog
04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Pete Rose was never the egomaniacal spoiled fucking imaginary race-card calling asshole that Bonds is. Give Pete a break.

I agree.......Pete deserve his record to be on hall of fame.
Banned for gambling?!......and after been retired?!......come on! his record is bonna fide

fryingdutchman
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM

Pete Rose? Not an egomaniac?

Are we talking about the same Pete Rose?

Look...I've been in Philly all my life. I grew up cheering for "Charlie Hustle" and was beside myself with pride and admiration when helped the Phils win it all in 1980.

He DOES deserve to be in the Hall of Fame on the merit of his performance.

But his policy of "deny, deny, deny" after the gambling debacle got him nothing except a tarnished legacy and a bad public image.

When it first happened, I felt he was being unfairly persecuted and being "made an example of" by MLB and the media. I don't feel that way anymore after seeing all of the bonehead things he's said and done over the last 20 years.

He'd probably be in the Hall by now if he would have just been man enough to say "I fucked up. I bet on baseball, I used extremely poor judgement, and I apologize to the players and fans who I've hurt with my actions."

But instead he had to try and cover his ass at every turn, and ended up getting bit on that very same ass.

Bonds is the same deal. He needs to admit he did it and ask for forgiveness. But now it's probably too late anyway....

hankster
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
by the way, has everyone forgotten that this guy has built his career on illegal anabolic steriods, hell not one of his HRs should have been counted and he shouldn't even have a career

PumpedUpMidget
04-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't care what Bonds did or did not do as far as steroids go, he is just a fucking racist bastard, there is no denying that.....

Bill Lumbergh
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Look, no doubt Barry's a fucking asshole..but it's pretty fucked up how the media BLOWS it all up, just becasue he cant stand them..from what I've heard Sosa is every bit as bad as Barry, but because he mugged for the camera and smoozed with reporters he was beloved..anyway back to baseball....shit, I'm probably one of the few Giants fans who miss the Barry pre-2001 days. Stealing 30-40 bases, hitting 40 HR, Gold Glove defense.....player of the 90's....and that was quote unquote "skinny Barry".....

Bill Lumbergh
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
GODDAMN the Giants have been pathetic so far....starting pitching is gonna be really good this year(Zito usually has rough Aprils), but we have NOBODY in the Pen, and obviously the offense has been pathetic....Sabean might be on his way out if this continues, especially with cheap ass Magowan upping the payroll.....

chi-town324
04-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
GODDAMN the Giants have been pathetic so far....starting pitching is gonna be really good this year(Zito usually has rough Aprils), but we have NOBODY in the Pen, and obviously the offense has been pathetic....Sabean might be on his way out if this continues, especially with cheap ass Magowan upping the payroll..... easy fella its early still ...but damn they way over payed for Zito...

Bill Lumbergh
04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
easy fella its early still ...but damn they way over payed for Zito...

Dude, can you explain to me how SEVEN division losses this early in the year are a good thing?! I know it's a 162 game schedule, but when my team is 2-7, cant score, has NOBODY able to get outs in the pen, I'm gonna be a bit distressed.....It's been basically the same story the past 2 years.....at least Bochy just announced he's gonna start playing Linden a lot more. And WHY OH WHY did we re-sign Pedro fucking Feliz??!!

chi-town324
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
if there 10 games out by the end of may start to worry

Bill Lumbergh
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
if there 10 games out by the end of may start to worry

I'm thinking they may be 10 out by the end of April!

chi-town324
04-13-2007, 08:41 PM
bonds is at it again!

chi-town324
04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
that ought to take the edge off huh Bill?

Bill Lumbergh
04-14-2007, 01:31 AM
that ought to take the edge off huh Bill?

Oh yeah....I think this team is gonna have trouble scoring runs throughout the year, and the bullpen is BEYOND scary(in a bad way), but this definitely made my night! 3-3, 2 jacks, 4 Rbi.....the old man's still got it....737.....70th career multi HR game (second to Ruth's 72)....

chi-town324
04-14-2007, 05:23 AM
gotta admit he is one of the best ever

Bill Lumbergh
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Like I said before, he already had that status even before 2001.....he and Jr. were easily "players of the 90's". Barry was the shit when he was stealing 30-40 bases, winning Gold Gloves year after year, hitting 40 bombs, basically just doing it all......I'm REALLY burned out on Steroid shit, but lets just say......nah, dont wanna get into it. :D

chi-town324
04-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Jr is my all time fav player...watched him when i was in Spokane almost every game (on tv) could do it all....hit, power,average, glove ,arm...the 5 tool man...damn shame about his health...he would have hit 800 hr's easily...i think the kingdome tore up his body playing on that concrete night after night...ever see the spider man catch of the kevin bass line drive where he shattered his wrist in 95? best catch you will ever see..and im talkin willie mays here...

blueturk
04-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Back to the real world....

Bonds is wrong to wear No. 42
By Jeff Pearlman

On Feb. 7, President Bush took a trip to Shenandoah National Park, where he dressed up in earth tones, stood before some trees and held a news conference to announce an increase in the National Park Service's budget.

It was a glorious time for all. Tony Snow, the White House press secretary, boasted that the president was "keenly committed both to environmentalism and conservationism from the start." Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne went one step further, likening Bush to Teddy Roosevelt.

Yes, that Teddy Roosevelt.

Of course, by now all noncomatose homo sapiens realize that Bush is to the environment what Hulk Hogan was to the Iron Sheik's head. He's pro- Alaska oil drilling, anti- the ban on snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, pro- curtailing the federal standard for arsenic in drinking water and, most recently, anti- the right of states to regulate greenhouse-gas emissions from motor vehicles.

He also hates long walks on the beach and birds that chirp.

And yet, when Bush shows up at a forest gate to kiss a leopard, none of us flinch. We are numb to the phenomenon. It is what it is -- a public figure extolling a virtue, then doing zilch to support it.

Which leads us, naturally, to Barry Lamar Bonds.

As announced last week, the San Francisco slugger plans on celebrating the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's big league debut by joining other active players in wearing No. 42. "I'm proud to do this," Bonds told MLB.com's Barry Bloom. "There's no person who was more important to the African-American cause in baseball history than Jackie Robinson. He paved the way for Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, everybody. You just can't underestimate the impact Jackie had on this game."

Though Bonds' words are righteous (Bloom, his personal stenographer, would allow nothing less), his gesture is as authentic as a Sidd Finch heater. Now in his 22nd major league season, Bonds' track record in areas of race and sports is, to be polite, abysmal. Here is a man who, according to infinite associates and peers, has rarely -- if ever -- gone out of his way to assist a rookie African-American teammate trying to find his way; who sees young black fans not as potential heirs to the game, but as autograph-seeking gnats to be insulted or dismissed. Four years ago, Bonds spit in the face of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum by ignoring an invitation to be presented with one of its Legacy Awards (taken aback by the public outcry, he finally visited four months later).

To his credit, Bonds once used his celebrity to influence a political campaign. To his discredit, the candidate he endorsed was former California governor Pete Wilson, an arch-conservative whose stances on minority issues were only slightly to the left of David Duke. In fact, Wilson seems something of a role model for the Bonds Guide to Honoring Dead Civil Rights Icons: In 1995, while promoting the "California Civil Rights Initiative," a ballot measure that would ban all state affirmative action, Wilson routinely evoked the name (but not spirit) of Martin Luther King.

Hmmm ...

Of the countless transgressions that make Bonds the last man who should wear No. 42, the one that gets me -- that really, really, really gets me -- is the way he has treated his black baseball forefathers like Aaron not as legends to be honored, but as stepping stones in his own maligned assault on the record books.

Whether one believes he cheated or not, reportedly the amount of documentation detailing Bonds' usage of performance-enhancing drugs stretches to Pluto. With this in mind, how can Bonds both wear No. 42 for Robinson and surpass Aaron as baseball's all-time home run leader?

If little else, Bonds is no dummy. He knows of Aaron's legacy: of the hate mail and the death threats, of the extra security guards and the terror that one bullet from the stands would end his life. Surely Bonds knows that Aaron is not simply a baseball hero, but a shining beacon from the civil rights era. The courage Aaron displayed in taking the field each night, usually in a Deep South still dripping with racist venom, is something Bonds can never duplicate.

So, again, how does Bonds break the all-time home run record with a straight face? How can he speak of "the great Hank Aaron" (as he does) while doing everything in his power to expunge his name from the record books?

Answer: Self-denial. Does Bush think global warming is just a harmless hoax? Does Hillary Clinton truly believe her Iraq authorization votes were righteous? Does Sean Hannity actually think that by attending an event on Martin Luther King's birthday he's in touch with civil rights? Does Sanjaya really think he can sing? As my father used to tell me, "Before you fool others, fool yourself."

It's true. We are fools.

I have no doubt Barry Bonds believes that, by wearing No. 42, he is doing what appears to be the right thing. Read that again -- what appears to be. Yet the right thing is seldom about words (ask Don Imus), written or said. It's about intent, purpose and -- most of all -- actions. Who do they impact? What do they mean? What do they say?

Here, on the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson changing the world, is what Bonds is saying: I am Barry Bonds -- and I don't give a damn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/07411&sportCat=mlb

chi-town324
04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
another rain out?

Bill Lumbergh
04-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Back to the real world....

Bonds is wrong to wear No. 42
By Jeff Pearlman

On Feb. 7, President Bush took a trip to Shenandoah National Park, where he dressed up in earth tones, stood before some trees and held a news conference to announce an increase in the National Park Service's budget.

It was a glorious time for all. Tony Snow, the White House press secretary, boasted that the president was "keenly committed both to environmentalism and conservationism from the start." Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne went one step further, likening Bush to Teddy Roosevelt.

Yes, that Teddy Roosevelt.

Of course, by now all noncomatose homo sapiens realize that Bush is to the environment what Hulk Hogan was to the Iron Sheik's head. He's pro- Alaska oil drilling, anti- the ban on snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, pro- curtailing the federal standard for arsenic in drinking water and, most recently, anti- the right of states to regulate greenhouse-gas emissions from motor vehicles.

He also hates long walks on the beach and birds that chirp.

And yet, when Bush shows up at a forest gate to kiss a leopard, none of us flinch. We are numb to the phenomenon. It is what it is -- a public figure extolling a virtue, then doing zilch to support it.

Which leads us, naturally, to Barry Lamar Bonds.

As announced last week, the San Francisco slugger plans on celebrating the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's big league debut by joining other active players in wearing No. 42. "I'm proud to do this," Bonds told MLB.com's Barry Bloom. "There's no person who was more important to the African-American cause in baseball history than Jackie Robinson. He paved the way for Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, everybody. You just can't underestimate the impact Jackie had on this game."

Though Bonds' words are righteous (Bloom, his personal stenographer, would allow nothing less), his gesture is as authentic as a Sidd Finch heater. Now in his 22nd major league season, Bonds' track record in areas of race and sports is, to be polite, abysmal. Here is a man who, according to infinite associates and peers, has rarely -- if ever -- gone out of his way to assist a rookie African-American teammate trying to find his way; who sees young black fans not as potential heirs to the game, but as autograph-seeking gnats to be insulted or dismissed. Four years ago, Bonds spit in the face of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum by ignoring an invitation to be presented with one of its Legacy Awards (taken aback by the public outcry, he finally visited four months later).

To his credit, Bonds once used his celebrity to influence a political campaign. To his discredit, the candidate he endorsed was former California governor Pete Wilson, an arch-conservative whose stances on minority issues were only slightly to the left of David Duke. In fact, Wilson seems something of a role model for the Bonds Guide to Honoring Dead Civil Rights Icons: In 1995, while promoting the "California Civil Rights Initiative," a ballot measure that would ban all state affirmative action, Wilson routinely evoked the name (but not spirit) of Martin Luther King.

Hmmm ...

Of the countless transgressions that make Bonds the last man who should wear No. 42, the one that gets me -- that really, really, really gets me -- is the way he has treated his black baseball forefathers like Aaron not as legends to be honored, but as stepping stones in his own maligned assault on the record books.

Whether one believes he cheated or not, reportedly the amount of documentation detailing Bonds' usage of performance-enhancing drugs stretches to Pluto. With this in mind, how can Bonds both wear No. 42 for Robinson and surpass Aaron as baseball's all-time home run leader?

If little else, Bonds is no dummy. He knows of Aaron's legacy: of the hate mail and the death threats, of the extra security guards and the terror that one bullet from the stands would end his life. Surely Bonds knows that Aaron is not simply a baseball hero, but a shining beacon from the civil rights era. The courage Aaron displayed in taking the field each night, usually in a Deep South still dripping with racist venom, is something Bonds can never duplicate.

So, again, how does Bonds break the all-time home run record with a straight face? How can he speak of "the great Hank Aaron" (as he does) while doing everything in his power to expunge his name from the record books?

Answer: Self-denial. Does Bush think global warming is just a harmless hoax? Does Hillary Clinton truly believe her Iraq authorization votes were righteous? Does Sean Hannity actually think that by attending an event on Martin Luther King's birthday he's in touch with civil rights? Does Sanjaya really think he can sing? As my father used to tell me, "Before you fool others, fool yourself."

It's true. We are fools.

I have no doubt Barry Bonds believes that, by wearing No. 42, he is doing what appears to be the right thing. Read that again -- what appears to be. Yet the right thing is seldom about words (ask Don Imus), written or said. It's about intent, purpose and -- most of all -- actions. Who do they impact? What do they mean? What do they say?

Here, on the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson changing the world, is what Bonds is saying: I am Barry Bonds -- and I don't give a damn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/07411&sportCat=mlb

HAHA! All I had to see was "By Jeff Pearlman"....the guy who MADE UP half of that rag he wrote about Barry, and whose "sources" later claimed he put words in their mouths.....including Jr...........

Bill Lumbergh
04-19-2007, 04:10 AM
#738, a game tying shot into the Cove in the bottom of the 8th!!!(in a Giants win)........on another note, my Warriors finally ended their 13 year playoff drought!!!! Fuck yeah, it's about time! Feel like I'm dreaming......

Roth & Roll
04-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Fuck all these posers who want to slam Barry Bonds at every opportunity. Yeah, so what; Bonds juiced up - what does that have to do with the hand eye co-ordination necessary to hit a baseball?

If juicing up was all it took to break the record; then why arent Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi closing in on the record? Why couldn't Jose Canseco or Mark McGwire do it? Hell, none of those guys have even come close.

Like him or hate him -when all is said and done; Barry Bonds will go down as the best all around ballplayer of all time. He will end up being the regular season and all-time Home Run king; he's closing in on 3000 hits; has won a dozen Gold Glove awards; 7 MVP awards and has over 500 career Stolen Bases. The media has crapped all over Barry Bonds for the past 17 years - and then they wonder why he's an asshole with them??

The American media loves to create heros - only so that they can tear them down.

chi-town324
04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
#738, a game tying shot into the Cove in the bottom of the 8th!!!(in a Giants win)........on another note, my Warriors finally ended their 13 year playoff drought!!!! Fuck yeah, it's about time! Feel like I'm dreaming...... congrats to the Warriors!!

EbDawson
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll

If juicing up was all it took to break the record; then why arent Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi closing in on the record? Why couldn't Jose Canseco or Mark McGwire do it?

Because none of those guys have half the ego of Bonds. (well, maybe Canseco) The guy's a grade A Schmuck. You're in love with him, fine.

ace diamond
04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
SO, WHAT IS BONDS COUNT ON 4 BAGGERS? I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE ALL-TIME HOME RUN RECORD BROKEN IN MY LIFETIME. THEN AGAIN I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE ROGER MARIS' SINGLE SEASON RECORD BROKEN. NOW I AM WAITING TOO SEE IF ANYONE IS GONNA GO AFTER JOLTIN' JOE DI'MAGGIO 56 GAME HITTING STREAK.

chi-town324
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
we may and i mean MAY see the single season HR record broken this year. The way A-ROD is hitting them out, it's possible although its very early

Bill Lumbergh
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Because none of those guys have half the ego of Bonds. (well, maybe Canseco) The guy's a grade A Schmuck. You're in love with him, fine.

If we're REALLY gonna talk steroids, then how about giving the Giants the 89' World Series Trophy, since we lost to the Roid Factory that was the Oakland A's?! Or any team that lost to the Carolina Panthers in the 2003 playoffs, after it came out that a big portion of that team were on them?! Look at Barry's career as a whole, you just may be impressed......

Bill Lumbergh
04-22-2007, 01:13 PM
If we're REALLY gonna talk steroids, then how about giving the Giants the 89' World Series Trophy, since we lost to the Roid Factory that was the Oakland A's?! Or any team that lost to the Carolina Panthers in the 2003 playoffs, after it came out that a big portion of that team were on them?! Look at Barry's career as a whole, you just may be impressed......

#739 yesterday, the ONLY run in the game......Zito pitched his ass off again, his second consecutive start allowing no runs.....back to .500....

chi-town324
04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
#739 yesterday, the ONLY run in the game......Zito pitched his ass off again, his second consecutive start allowing no runs.....back to .500.... so i hope your now backing off the edge of the cliff:D

Bill Lumbergh
04-22-2007, 08:48 PM
HAHA, yeah after Cain pitched another gem and Barry went deep again(740)(and fucking Feliz actually hitting a HR that MATTERS!) to give us a winning record for the 1st time this year, I'm feeling a bit better....however, we're STILL not scoring, and the bullpen hasnt realy been tested during this stretch......whatever anybody has to say about Barry, you have to admire that he can STILL play at this high of a level , even through all the years of accusations, media hounding, knee surgeries, being 42 years old.....NOBODY can tune out all the distractions like this guy......

blueturk
04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Track Bonds down, give him a blow job, and call your life complete.

DlocRoth
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Quit actin like a fag, TURK....

Give Bonds some fuckin respect.

blueturk
04-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth

Fuck you, DLOCROTH. Bonds doesn't deserve any fucking respect.

DlocRoth
04-23-2007, 08:36 AM
OK, then neither do you.

Lumbergh said it all. The man made his case for at LEAST the best of his generation well before any of the allegations started.

But I guess you were too busy googling "2 men kissing" for your avatar to look it up.

Laters.

Bill Lumbergh
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Track Bonds down, give him a blow job, and call your life complete.

Haha, you're too fucking much....didnt know being a hardcore fan meant I had gay tendencies.....hmmmm, every time someone mentions liking an Alice Cooper album after the original AC Group broke up, you FREAK OUT....someone wishing for a little gangbang action with Dennis Dunaway and the boys?! :D

Combat Ready
04-23-2007, 02:51 PM

What can you say, Turk is a dumbass for sure and continues to prove it on a daily basis.

Check this out....Drink up Turk!

http://www.stonewalllv.org/Shut%2520the%2520fuck%2520up.bmp

Bonds Rules!!!! Go Giants!!!

Combat Ready
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
congrats to the Warriors!!

Looked pretty darn impressive last night. 6 in a row against the Mavs....could get interesting.

blueturk
04-23-2007, 04:58 PM
OK, then neither do you.

Lumbergh said it all. The man made his case for at LEAST the best of his generation well before any of the allegations started.

But I guess you were too busy googling "2 men kissing" for your avatar to look it up.

Laters.

I can only assume that you're too uninformed to know who the "2 men kissing" are and why it's my avatar. But I guess having to defend assholes like Bonds takes a lot of time....

blueturk
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Haha, you're too fucking much....didnt know being a hardcore fan meant I had gay tendencies.....hmmmm, every time someone mentions liking an Alice Cooper album after the original AC Group broke up, you FREAK OUT....someone wishing for a little gangbang action with Dennis Dunaway and the boys?! :D

Actually the blow job post WAS kind of uncalled for. I almost regretted it after I posted it. As you well know, I think Bonds is a piece of shit but I could have done better than that. As for Alice Cooper...he's a piece of shit too, not to mention being a Busheep. Nice "Freak Out" pun though.

blueturk
04-23-2007, 05:14 PM
What can you say, Turk is a dumbass for sure and continues to prove it on a daily basis.

Check this out....Drink up Turk!

http://www.stonewalllv.org/Shut%2520the%2520fuck%2520up.bmp

Bonds Rules!!!! Go Giants!!!

Words of wisdom from one of the "there's no such thing as global warming and even if there is I don't give a fuck" crowd. I guess with a mindset like that it's easy to believe that Bonds deserves to win the home run title......

Bill Lumbergh
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I've been itching to start a W's playoff thread, but with my VERY popular :D Bonds thread, I figured I'd just post about it in various threads. Sweet win, especially since they won playing a different style(half court grind out) for much of the game.....hope Avery DOES go back to his big lineup, so we can run circles around Dampier and Diop......at the very least, this is gonna be a great series......this is NOT a typical 8th seed......with everyone healthy(especially a healthy Baron), this is a 50+ win team.......

DlocRoth
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I can only assume that you're too uninformed to know who the "2 men kissing" are and why it's my avatar. But I guess having to defend assholes like Bonds takes a lot of time....

Are they your dads?

Combat Ready
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Words of wisdom from one of the "there's no such thing as global warming and even if there is I don't give a fuck" crowd. I guess with a mindset like that it's easy to believe that Bonds deserves to win the home run title......

Pretty weak bringing global warming to a Bonds thread? We shouldn't be surprised to see this coming from a guy with his two dads kissing as his avatar!

No prob.....to each his own.

Bonds rules----Go Giants!

Combat Ready
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I've been itching to start a W's playoff thread, but with my VERY popular :D Bonds thread, I figured I'd just post about it in various threads. Sweet win, especially since they won playing a different style(half court grind out) for much of the game.....hope Avery DOES go back to his big lineup, so we can run circles around Dampier and Diop......at the very least, this is gonna be a great series......this is NOT a typical 8th seed......with everyone healthy(especially a healthy Baron), this is a 50+ win team.......

Agreed----Now if Nellie will just stick around for a few years.....Anything could happen.

ace diamond
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
the counts is now 740 jacks. 15 to go to tie hank aaron,16 to go for immortality.

chi-town324
04-24-2007, 01:13 PM
i say early june he will break it

WARF
04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Palmeiro was hittin' 40 hrs a year... on both steroids and viagra...
He probably could have knocked one over the green monster with his fucking dick!!!

DlocRoth
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
:lol:

Bill Lumbergh
04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by WARF
He probably could have knocked one over the green monster with his fucking dick!!!

:D

chi-town324
04-25-2007, 06:48 PM
He probably could have knocked one over the green monster with his fucking dick!!! good one

Bill Lumbergh
04-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Three run shot in the first, #741! What can I say, when Barry's on a roll like this, he lifts the ENTIRE team.....7 in a row, 10 out of 12......

bastardog
04-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Go Bonds!

chi-town324
04-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Three run shot in the first, #741! What can I say, when Barry's on a roll like this, he lifts the ENTIRE team.....7 in a row, 10 out of 12...... he's still got it:D

chi-town324
04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
so whats it now 7 in a row?

chi-town324
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
i guess its 8

chi-town324
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
8 for Barry..will he slow down?

Bill Lumbergh
04-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Tough series this weekend....Matt Cain has been ALL FUCKING WORLD, yet he's 1-1.....3 one run losses....

ace diamond
04-30-2007, 10:54 PM
#742 AGAINST THE DODGERS IN LOS ANGELES THE OTHER NIGHT.

chi-town324
05-01-2007, 07:20 AM
i say walk him every AB...

chi-town324
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
or better HBP

ace diamond
05-02-2007, 11:56 PM
how about KBP?
(KILLED BY PITCH)

chi-town324
05-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by ace diamond
how about KBP?
(KILLED BY PITCH) :D

chi-town324
05-03-2007, 07:21 AM
# 9 last night

bastardog
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
743! 12 more for #1

Go Bonds!

chi-town324
05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
hes really gonna do it!

ace diamond
05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
how about KBP?
(KILLED BY PITCH)

you got it.

ace diamond
05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
yup....and most likely before the all-star break.

i know i won't be around,but that of how much the that becomes #756 is going to be worth!

chi-town324
05-05-2007, 06:06 PM
#10 today..

blueturk
05-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Posted on Sun, May. 06, 2007

Hammerin' Hank's Record

GEORGE WILL

This city has belonged to five nations -- France, Britain, Spain, the United States and the Confederate States of America. Or four, if you think, as Lincoln did, that the Southern states never succeeded in seceding, so the CSA never existed. In any case, Mobile has done much for the national pastime of the country to which it currently belongs.
Mobile has incubated tremendous major league talent. In a few games in 1969, the "Miracle Mets" had an all-Mobile outfield. Five Hall of Famers were raised here -- Satchel Paige, Willie McCovey, Ozzie Smith, Billy Williams and the man whose achievements gain luster from the contrast between him and the man who may soon surpass one of those achievements. As Barry Bonds continues his joyless pursuit of such glory as he is eligible for, consider the odyssey of Mobile's greatest native son.

Henry Aaron's parents had moved south from Selma, drawn by work in the shipyards during World War II. So many blacks came here that Davis Avenue -- named for Jefferson Davis -- became known as Little Harlem.

From uncut diamond to champion

You think that is incongruous? Try this. Grip a bat as a right-hander -- but with your left hand on top. That is how the man who would hit 755 home runs in 23 major league seasons gripped his bat when, as an utterly uncoached 17-year-old, he signed his first pro contract, with the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro Leagues, who recognized an uncut diamond.When he boarded the train to his future, he had $2 in his pocket. He had never had his own bed, and with the Clowns often slept six nights a week in a bus. He remembers sitting with teammates in a Washington restaurant "hearing them break all the plates in the kitchen after we were finished eating."

Aaron's signing bonus with the Milwaukee Braves was a cardboard suitcase. In his first Spring Training, during a game against the Red Sox, Ted Williams came running from the clubhouse to see whose bat was making that distinctive sound. The bat had a slender handle and was whipped by wrists developed hitting dipping and floating bottle caps, pitched by Aaron's playmates when, as was usual, baseballs were scarce.

He was 0 for 5 in his first regular season game, which was the first day in which players were no longer allowed to toss their gloves on the field when coming in to bat. Soon, however, Time magazine was heralding "The Talented Shuffler" who "is not as dumb as he looks when he shuffles around the field." Misperceiving, through the lens of race, economy of motion for lethargy, sportswriters called him "uncomplicated" and "a child of nature." Lonnie Wheeler, who helped Aaron write his autobiography "I Had a Hammer," notes that Joe DiMaggio's similar understated manner was characterized as dignified and graceful.

In 1973, as Aaron approached Babe Ruth's record of 714 home runs -- he would break it in April 1974 -- he received, according to the U.S. Postal Service, about 930,000 letters, more than any nonpolitician in America. Dinah Shore was second with 60,000. Much of his mail was hateful. He took out his anger on baseballs. The 1973 season was the last in which horsehide balls were used. Aaron's 714th was the first home run ever hit with a cowhide ball.

Last link to Negro Leagues

When Aaron retired, he was Major League Baseball's last link to the Negro Leagues. Today he is baseball's link to the era when home runs did not cause fans, suspecting steroids, to view sluggers with a moral squint. Aaron became baseball's most methodical -- and, properly measured by total bases, most effective -- hitter after being raised in a household where, he remembers, "we almost never ate anything that was store-bought. I've gone many, many weeks with just cornbread, butter beans and collard greens."

Mobile's public library, writes Wheeler, "opened its doors to blacks before other Southern cities encouraged them to read." Spring Hill College here, which integrated -- by conscience, not coercion -- in 1954, was praised by Martin Luther King in his "Letter from Birmingham Jail." Today, if you turn onto Satchel Paige Drive, then onto Bolling Brothers Boulevard (Frank and Milt, nephews of a major leaguer, played a combined 19 seasons), you reach Hank Aaron Stadium, home of the Mobile BayBears.

When Bonds hits his 756th, real fans, who know how to read the record book, will yawn, confident that Aaron's record will remain the real one until Alex Rodriguez, who has 175 more home runs than Bonds did when he was Rodriguez's age, breaks it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/409/story/112019.html

chi-town324
05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
thank god for A-ROD although a healthy Ken Griffey Jr would have also surpassed Bonds

Bill Lumbergh
05-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Up to 744 now....thank god for A-Rod?! Boy, you sure change your tune as it suits you.....

chi-town324
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Up to 744 now....thank god for A-Rod?! Boy, you sure change your tune as it suits you..... no disrespect intended...A-ROD will shatter whatever number BB ends up with..thats just a fact...

chi-town324
05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
where the hell have u been MR. BILL??....i was ready to talk Warriors last week....

chi-town324
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
what a story....i hear the bay area is going fuckin nuts right now over the Warriors!!

ace diamond
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM

chi-town324
05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
ten away from tying....

blueturk
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Aaron won’t be present when Bonds breaks mark, but Selig must be

Shaun Powell

SPORTS COLUMNIST

May 9, 2007

Hank Aaron and Bud Selig are old friends, way back from the day when the Braves were based in Milwaukee, Bud's town. They speak often. They each have their own important place in baseball history. They both love a game that helped shape their legacies.

And while they each have a stake in Barry Bonds' pursuit of the most hallowed record in sports, this is where they should part company.

Selig, as baseball commissioner, owes it to the game to recognize Bonds when homer No. 756 happens.

Aaron, as the owner of said record, doesn't owe anyone spit.

Selig must be present when Bonds breaks Aaron's record, but not Aaron. Please. He's under no obligation, nor should he be, given the circumstances. A few weeks ago, he told the Atlanta Constitution that he wasn't terribly interested in being part of the chase in any way, shape or fashion. Aaron said he planned to be elsewhere when that day arrived, maybe even overseas. Hey, if Aaron wanted to be on the moon, that should be fine by me and you and anyone else.

If you read between the lines, you get the sense Aaron doesn't believe Bonds should ever be recognized as the all-time home run king, and in the minds of many, myself included, that title will always belong to Aaron, its rightful owner. He can definitely take that to the moon.

The only thing dirty about Aaron was his uniform. Everything else, including his language, his professionalism and especially his blood, was cleaner than David Wells' dinner plate. The class he showed throughout his baseball career, which began in racist times, was significant. His dignity was never compromised during his own pursuit of the record, which was conducted while death threats arrived regularly by phone and mail. And a word about the abuse Aaron took. By comparison, Aaron was no Jackie Robinson, but by the same measure, Bonds is no Aaron. Not even close.

A recently conducted ESPN/ABC News poll showed that, surprise, there's a race element involved here. It said that, while virtually no whites believed Bonds was being treated unfairly by society because of race, 25 percent of blacks do think race is an issue in the home run chase.

Oh, yeah. If you do the math, that means a whopping 75 percent of blacks don't think race is an issue.

The poll didn't emphasize that point.

Race isn't an issue here because a black man is chasing another black man. Well, wait. Actually, race is playing a small part. The poll also said 74 percent of blacks want Bonds to break Aaron's record, and my hunch is that percentage doesn't reflect the thinking of old-school black society. That generation wants Aaron to keep that record. That generation knows what Aaron put up with. That generation knows how Aaron and others like him paved the way for Bonds to make millions and live in Beverly Hills. That generation saw Aaron as gracious and honorable and knew he was a great ambassador not only for baseball, but for the black community.

That generation doesn't see that in Barry Bonds, born into wealth and privilege and, because we live in a star-struck society, probably sees less racism in one year than the guy walking down 125th Street sees in a week.

In other words, take that poll for what it's worth.

Basically, few outside San Francisco are eager for Bonds to erase Aaron's mark because of the steroid issue and also because Bonds still has refused to demonstrate any humility regarding the controversy, nor has he come clean, so to speak. Plus, he rubs people the wrong way.

Therefore, Aaron is free to spend his time as he sees fit. Selig, however, must be present and accounted for. Here's why: Bonds has never been proved guilty of anything, even with our strong suspicions. Officially, he's innocent. Selig must swallow that bitter pill, tough as it might be, and serve as baseball's representative when the record is broken. His absence would mean baseball doubts the sincerity of the record, which in turn would mean that, once again, baseball looked the other way when it came to steroids.

There's no need for an all-out celebration. Selig should just shake Bonds' hand, then order Bonds to tell the fans who the real home run leader is.

And he should scream it loud enough for Aaron to hear a galaxy away.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-sppow095205383may09,0,22077,print.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

chi-town324
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Selig wont either i hear

WARF
05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
No homers in a three game road trip to COORS FIELD?!?!?

chi-town324
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
No homers in a three game road trip to COORS FIELD?!?!? only because they intentionally walked him every AB

blueturk
05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
only because they intentionally walked him every AB

I just wish the fucking asshole could get walked every at-bat for the rest of the season...

chi-town324
05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I just wish the fucking asshole could get walked every at-bat for the rest of the season... cant believe someone hasnt really thrown at him

chi-town324
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
in the head that is

Bill Lumbergh
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Still waiting for Junior to stub his toe....I know that sort of thing usually puts his soft ass out for the season....

Bill Lumbergh
05-30-2007, 11:33 AM
cant believe someone hasnt really thrown at him

Hmmm, I dont know.....maybe because virtually EVERYONE has used at some point, and it would be totally fucking hypocritical??!!

ace diamond
05-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Bill Lumbergh
06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
747....and a WIN.....

bastardog
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Just 9 for the #1 spot

chi-town324
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
he sure has cooled off

chi-town324
06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
FWIW...junior # 579

ace diamond
06-25-2007, 03:08 AM
#749.......bonds is heating up again.....look out hank!

fryingdutchman
06-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Lets remember Barry's last milestone, when he passed Ruth.

May 28, 2006

http://www.brendanloy.com/blog/images/g1_bonds715.gif

Shit...looks like the animation isn't working.

It was Bonds hitting an asterisk.

Oh well...

blueturk
07-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Here's an item Bill might want to bid on...

Bonds poster with BALCO stamp put on eBay -- $10,000 starting bid

It may be the ultimate souvenir of Barry Bonds' quest for baseball's home run record: an autographed action photo of the Giants slugger, embossed with the logo of BALCO, the lab that became the flash point in an international sports doping scandal.

The black-bordered poster isn't cheap -- the minimum bid on the eBay Internet auction site is $10,000.

But owner Keith Fitzgerald, a San Diego sports broadcaster, says the lucky buyer will get an item that is not only unique but absolutely authentic.

"It's one of those things that when people see it, they say, 'I can't believe it's real,' " he says. "But it's real."

He also calls the poster "the real Bonds likeness that should be hanging in Cooperstown."

Fitzgerald said Bonds autographed the BALCO poster while visiting the lab in 2001 or 2002. A federal grand jury is investigating Bonds on suspicion of perjury for testifying that he hadn't used banned drugs supplied by the lab.

The poster is decorated with the BALCO motto, "creating champions." The signature is in silver ink, and three experts have attested to its authenticity.

Fitzgerald says the poster first came up for sale in 2005, when a BALCO employee consigned it to an auction house. Fitzgerald snapped it up.

"I don't know if they knew the irony of this thing two or three years ago," he says. "But I knew this day would come and the poster would have some value."

In the early going on eBay, the poster hasn't gotten any action. Fitzgerald said he may eventually place it with a high-end auctioneer who specializes in sports memorabilia.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/01/MNGH0QP4F51.DTL

Nickdfresh
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Barry Bonds Home-Run Scandal Somehow Becomes Feel-Good Sports Story Of Summer

July 26, 2007 | Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/barry_bonds_home_run_scandal) Sports

SAN FRANCISCO—Although Barry Bonds remains the target of criticism over his possible—some say almost certain—use of performance-enhancing substances, the fact that Bonds has not been implicated in dogfighting, nightclub shootings, gambling, or murdering his family has transformed his controversial pursuit of the all-time home-run record into the feel-good sports story of the summer.
Enlarge Image Bonds

"Until we have definitive proof one way or the other, the very presence of so many questions about Bonds and steroids will haunt his achievements forever," ESPN's Peter Gammons said Monday. "However, at this moment, I think we'd all have to agree that having a raging juiced-up misanthrope break the greatest record in sports is a ray of sunshine compared to everything else on the sports page."

"What kind of person electrocutes dogs, let alone fights them?" Gammons added. "I simply can't comprehend it. Go, Barry!"

While Bonds has been routinely greeted with booing and jeering whenever he played outside of San Francisco, the taunting seems to have abated for the moment as sports fans across America lapse into a reflective silence as Bonds approaches the plate.

"I know Bonds is probably 100% pharmaceutical Frankenstein," said Brewers fan Charles Michaels, who waved a banner reading "Make Us Relatively Proud, Barry" while not exactly rooting against Bonds at Milwaukee's Miller Park Sunday night. "But I also know for a certainty that gambling problems didn't compel him to affect the outcome of the NBA playoffs. You have to give him that much."

"Bonds is not exactly my hero," said Braves fan Bradley Hanson, who flew to San Francisco for Monday night's Braves game in order to pointedly not boo Bonds. "But he's a reminder that in these troubled times for sports, there are still players whose crimes are simple, pure, and only tarnish our beloved sport and everything it stands for without killing anybody."

Bonds defiantly refuses to acknowledge, much less answer, any of the dozens of questions regarding his use of illegal substances, often lashing out at clubhouse reporters asking even innocuous baseball-related questions. Yet as of press time, Bonds had not yet been involved in even one single murder.

"Say what you want about Bonds, but he's not a murderer, or even an attempted murderer," San Francisco Chronicle reporter and co-author of Game Of Shadows Lance Williams wrote in Sunday's edition. "The only thing I believe Bonds did was inject himself with Winstrol, Deca-Durabolin, insulin, testosterone, synthetic testosterone, testosterone decanoate, human growth hormones, Norbolethone, Trenbolone, Clomid, and possibly commercial racehorse laxatives, all in order to make himself a better athlete. Not to allow himself to gut-shoot a gentleman's club bouncer, but to become a better athlete. A better athlete…it doesn't seem so bad when you think about it like that."

"It's a relief of sorts to see someone putting performance first," Frank Deford said in a New York Times Magazine editorial Sunday. "I think we all believe that Barry has taken steroids, and that they made him into a hulking monster who rewrote the record books. But they didn't turn him into a hulking monster who drugged his wife and children into unconsciousness before strangling them to death and hanging himself from a weight bench. And in these troubled times, Bonds' performance is one we can all reluctantly applaud."

Bill Lumbergh
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Look fags(pretty witty, huh?), I've been a huge fan since 93', and I guess I'm just loyal like that.....again, if you want to take anything away from Barry, THEN KINDLY HAND THE 89' WORLD SERIES TROPHY TO THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS PLEASE...you know the Series we lost to the juiced out of their fucking minds Athletics???!!!!

chi-town324
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Bill where ya been?...good to see you back!

Fairwrning
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
"Steroids awareness day" at Dodger stadium..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2959207

Susie Q
08-03-2007, 01:55 AM
When Hank hit his numbers there were a few things to be honored. ONE he was a black sports player that got there and TWO he did it without any stimulants. ;)

Here's to Hank:bottle:

Bonds walked again tonight...

Bill Lumbergh
08-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Bill where ya been?...good to see you back!

Hey buddy! Lot of interesting shit going on the past month or so( good AND bad :D ), but I'm definitely glad to be back here! Man, my stomach's already in knots anticipating the start of the NFL season....can't wait till the Horns reclaim their place among the elite.......going to see them 3 times live this year(Seattle, Zona, and of course nearby in SF)........

bastardog
08-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I can't belive no one had say it jet!..

755!!!..........Hank is sharing his number with Bond.

How it feels?

Fairwrning
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Hank Aaron 755
Barry Bonds 755*

Susie Q
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Bonds just hit 756!! He hit it in the bottom of the 5th.

Fan fair is crazy right now! People all over the playing field, his mother, wife, kids are out there greeting him. Long standing ovation, Fire works! A fan caught the ball and he is being escorted by the police, cause everyone wants a piece of it.
The bases are took off the playing field. His God Father Willie Mays congratulates him.
People chanting his name.
Video message from Hank Aaron:
He would like to congratulate Barry, great acomplishment, that requires skill and dedication. He offers best wishes, and wants others to chase their dreams.

Barry Bonds says, "Thank you very much. I got a thank all of you, all the fans here in San Fransico, the road and home has been fantastic. You have given me all the support in the world and I will never forget it. He thanks his family and kids. He said he was glad he did it before his kids went to school.

He starts crying....and leaves with " Thank you for everything!"

FORD
08-08-2007, 01:20 AM
"Congratulations" Barry Bonds. A win every bit as legitimate as the 2000 and 2004 pResidential elections. Or the 2006 Super Bowl, for that matter.

Maybe someday Hank's record might be legitimately broken, but as far as I'm concerned, it still stands. Fuck the roid ragers!

PlexiBrown
08-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by FORD
"Congratulations" Barry Bonds. A win every bit as legitimate as the 2000 and 2004 pResidential elections. Or the 2006 Super Bowl, for that matter.

Maybe someday Hank's record might be legitimately broken, but as far as I'm concerned, it still stands. Fuck the roid ragers!

Right on!

HELLVIS
08-08-2007, 08:39 AM
ZZzzzzzz........

bastardog
08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
He is just guilty for been the best athlete he could be (enhanced or not)

And by the way asterisk or not will be on top of Hanks only record

VanJay011379
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM

BITEYOASS
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
BTW how are the Giants doing in their division? Dead last! LOL :D

blueturk
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
OK Bill, and all other admirers of Barry Bonds. You can only fucking wish your hero had a microscopic fraction of the class that the true Home Run King has....

Losing his crown, but not his class
Baseball did not deserve his grace, but Hank Aaron helped save the game he loves.
Bill Shaikin
August 8, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO -- For Hank Aaron, that's 755 home runs, and one save. Bless him. Baseball did not deserve his grace. On this night, Aaron saved the game he loved. Never has an athlete served as a better role model than Aaron did Tuesday, 32 years into retirement. He acted selflessly, with dignity and nobility, demonstrating to the commissioner and to all the world one can put aside personal feelings for the greater good.

It might not rub off on Bud Selig, but it rubbed off on Barry Bonds.

There is a time and place for everything, including debates about the legitimacy of Bonds' ownership of the all-time home run record. On the night he set the record, in front of his home crowd, in a moment destined for replays in his mind and on his DVD, Bonds did not deserve to be demeaned.

Selig did not get that, and thank God he was not here. Selig considers Bonds a cheat, a fraud and a suspected criminal. Aaron isn't a fan either.

But, when Bonds tied Aaron's record Saturday, Selig issued a statement that started with the word "congratulations" and included the words "controversy" and "innocent until proven guilty."

As Bonds neared the record, Selig waffled on whether he would attend, making sure everyone knew how torn he was. When he did show up, he did so grudgingly, stuffing his hands in pockets Saturday while the San Diego crowd -- the visiting crowd! -- put its collective hands together to acknowledge history and the moment. This was not an endorsement of Bonds, just respect for the game.

Aaron never waffled. He said he would not attend, and he did not. He did not comment about Bonds' character. He let his actions speak for themselves.

But, with history calling, Aaron decided he needed to say the right words, to do the right thing.

When the Giants contacted Aaron, to ask him to record a congratulatory message, he could have said no, to remain true to his convictions. Or he could have agreed, then mixed innuendo with congratulations, a la Selig.

Bonds dropped his bat, pumped both arms toward the sky, clapped his hands, circled the bases and disappeared into the arms of his son, surrounded by teammates and family. The Giants celebrated, with fireworks and banners, with streamers and classical music.

Dmitri Young, the first baseman for the Washington Nationals, waved some of his teammates off the field so Bonds could enjoy the moment alone. The rest of the Nationals stayed on the field, sharing the moment and gathering near third base to applaud Bonds. Either way, the right thing.

Willie Mays, Bonds' godfather, the first Giants' icon in San Francisco, emerged from the dugout. The two men stood arm in arm, 1,416 home runs between them, first and fourth on the all-time list.

And then Bonds turned, Mays turned, we all turned to the enormous video board behind center field. There was Aaron, suddenly second on the all-time list, larger than life and appropriately so.

"I would like to offer my congratulations to Barry Bonds on becoming baseball's career home run leader," Aaron said. "It is a great accomplishment which requires longevity and determination. Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball, and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years.

"I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historical achievement. My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."

In the afternoon, several hours before the milestone, Mays sat in an office in the Giants clubhouse, talking about the promise he made to Bonds' late father, Bobby.

"The father told me to make sure I looked out for him," Mays said. "That's what I'm trying to do, to make sure he does the right thing. The last three weeks or so, I think he's done a magnificent job in interviews. He's trying to do the right thing."

And so, after Aaron spoke on the video board, Bonds turned to the crowd and spoke. He did not, as Rickey Henderson did when he set the stolen base record, declare himself the greatest of all time. He thanked the fans, his teammates, his family and the Nationals, then broke down in tears as he thanked his father.

Humility, not hubris. The right thing.

And then, incredibly, Selig issued another clumsy statement.

"While the issues which have swirled around this record will continue to work themselves toward resolution," Selig said, "today is a day for congratulations on a truly remarkable achievement."

Those issues will have their day. Bonds Watch is over, but Steroids Watch is not. Bonds still faces the possibility of indictment, for perjury or tax evasion. The Mitchell Commission will issue its report on how steroids infected baseball -- far beyond Bonds, if the report has any credibility. In courts in Arizona and New York, affidavits could be unsealed, within them the names of dozens of baseball players allegedly involved with steroids.

This was not the day for those issues, as Aaron understood and Selig did not. This was the day for remembering what my mother told me, and your mother told you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-shaikin8aug08,0,1233983.story?coll=la-home-center

Va Beach VH Fan
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Holy shit.....

Look at this fucking madhouse.....

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Fan-Video-from-Section-Barry-Bonds-756-HR-Ball-Landed-Blog-3687

jharp84
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't know who to worship more???? Bonds, Mcguire, Sosa!! FUCKIN A WHAT FUCKIN GLADIATION HEROES WE HAVE HERE FOR THE SLUTS AT ESPN!!!! Life is grate now!! HERE"S TO BRITNEY'S NEXT BABY w/ ONE OF THESE ICONS! IT WILL BE NAMED PEEC O' SHIIIIIIII!!!!

Little Texan
08-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Susie Q
Barry Bonds says, "Thank you very much. I got a thank all of you, all the fans here in San Fransico, the road and home has been fantastic. You have given me all the support in the world and I will never forget it. He thanks his family and kids. He said he was glad he did it before his kids went to school.

He starts crying....and leaves with " Thank you for everything!"

He forgot to thank his supplier!

Redballjets88
08-09-2007, 12:40 AM
OK Bill, and all other admirers of Barry Bonds. You can only fucking wish your hero had a microscopic fraction of the class that the true Home Run King has....

Losing his crown, but not his class
Baseball did not deserve his grace, but Hank Aaron helped save the game he loves.
Bill Shaikin
August 8, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO -- For Hank Aaron, that's 755 home runs, and one save. Bless him. Baseball did not deserve his grace. On this night, Aaron saved the game he loved. Never has an athlete served as a better role model than Aaron did Tuesday, 32 years into retirement. He acted selflessly, with dignity and nobility, demonstrating to the commissioner and to all the world one can put aside personal feelings for the greater good.

It might not rub off on Bud Selig, but it rubbed off on Barry Bonds.

There is a time and place for everything, including debates about the legitimacy of Bonds' ownership of the all-time home run record. On the night he set the record, in front of his home crowd, in a moment destined for replays in his mind and on his DVD, Bonds did not deserve to be demeaned.

Selig did not get that, and thank God he was not here. Selig considers Bonds a cheat, a fraud and a suspected criminal. Aaron isn't a fan either.

But, when Bonds tied Aaron's record Saturday, Selig issued a statement that started with the word "congratulations" and included the words "controversy" and "innocent until proven guilty."

As Bonds neared the record, Selig waffled on whether he would attend, making sure everyone knew how torn he was. When he did show up, he did so grudgingly, stuffing his hands in pockets Saturday while the San Diego crowd -- the visiting crowd! -- put its collective hands together to acknowledge history and the moment. This was not an endorsement of Bonds, just respect for the game.

Aaron never waffled. He said he would not attend, and he did not. He did not comment about Bonds' character. He let his actions speak for themselves.

But, with history calling, Aaron decided he needed to say the right words, to do the right thing.

When the Giants contacted Aaron, to ask him to record a congratulatory message, he could have said no, to remain true to his convictions. Or he could have agreed, then mixed innuendo with congratulations, a la Selig.

Bonds dropped his bat, pumped both arms toward the sky, clapped his hands, circled the bases and disappeared into the arms of his son, surrounded by teammates and family. The Giants celebrated, with fireworks and banners, with streamers and classical music.

Dmitri Young, the first baseman for the Washington Nationals, waved some of his teammates off the field so Bonds could enjoy the moment alone. The rest of the Nationals stayed on the field, sharing the moment and gathering near third base to applaud Bonds. Either way, the right thing.

Willie Mays, Bonds' godfather, the first Giants' icon in San Francisco, emerged from the dugout. The two men stood arm in arm, 1,416 home runs between them, first and fourth on the all-time list.

And then Bonds turned, Mays turned, we all turned to the enormous video board behind center field. There was Aaron, suddenly second on the all-time list, larger than life and appropriately so.

"I would like to offer my congratulations to Barry Bonds on becoming baseball's career home run leader," Aaron said. "It is a great accomplishment which requires longevity and determination. Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball, and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years.

"I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historical achievement. My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."

In the afternoon, several hours before the milestone, Mays sat in an office in the Giants clubhouse, talking about the promise he made to Bonds' late father, Bobby.

"The father told me to make sure I looked out for him," Mays said. "That's what I'm trying to do, to make sure he does the right thing. The last three weeks or so, I think he's done a magnificent job in interviews. He's trying to do the right thing."

And so, after Aaron spoke on the video board, Bonds turned to the crowd and spoke. He did not, as Rickey Henderson did when he set the stolen base record, declare himself the greatest of all time. He thanked the fans, his teammates, his family and the Nationals, then broke down in tears as he thanked his father.

Humility, not hubris. The right thing.

And then, incredibly, Selig issued another clumsy statement.

"While the issues which have swirled around this record will continue to work themselves toward resolution," Selig said, "today is a day for congratulations on a truly remarkable achievement."

Those issues will have their day. Bonds Watch is over, but Steroids Watch is not. Bonds still faces the possibility of indictment, for perjury or tax evasion. The Mitchell Commission will issue its report on how steroids infected baseball -- far beyond Bonds, if the report has any credibility. In courts in Arizona and New York, affidavits could be unsealed, within them the names of dozens of baseball players allegedly involved with steroids.

This was not the day for those issues, as Aaron understood and Selig did not. This was the day for remembering what my mother told me, and your mother told you: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-shaikin8aug08,0,1233983.story?coll=la-home-center

Hank did get paid for the apprearance though

Romeo Delight
08-09-2007, 01:37 AM
For a sport that has enshrined spitballers, racists, cocaine-abusers...apparently steroids is one step too far though.

Baseball is all about getting over...be it vaseline, scuffed baseballs by whatever means, corked bats, wet bases.

I don't see how this is much different. Let it be, there was no testing.

The writers will have their day when they don't vote him in on the first ballot.

Redballjets88
08-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
For a sport that has enshrined spitballers, racists, cocaine-abusers...apparently steroids is one step too far though.

Baseball is all about getting over...be it vaseline, scuffed baseballs by whatever means, corked bats, wet bases.

I don't see how this is much different. Let it be, there was no testing.

The writers will have their day when they don't vote him in on the first ballot.

all the things you named only help the person for that game and only in one aspect of their game. Steroids is cheating like those thing, but they are also illegal in general and inhance a persons abilitys far beyond the things you named. Just because they weren't testing doesn't mean it's alright.

Romeo Delight
08-09-2007, 03:04 AM
How many pitchers are in the Hall who are known for being notorious spitballers or whatever.

All I am saying is that cheating is part of baseball. No one can deny that. Sure steroids is pushing that envelope, but not by much

Redballjets88
08-09-2007, 03:20 AM
How many pitchers are in the Hall who are known for being notorious spitballers or whatever.

All I am saying is that cheating is part of baseball. No one can deny that. Sure steroids is pushing that envelope, but not by much

by a lot. sammy sosa may not get in because of roids, he would still be in if all he did was cork a bat.

Romeo Delight
08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
You can't tell me that cheating isn't an accepted and even celebrated part of baseball history.

It is just a fact. There are pitchers in the Hall who wouldn't be there without cheating.

We can't pick and choose which levels of cheating are acceptable. Cocaine use and doctoring of baseballs are fine, but steroid use is going too far? Stealing of signals is also part of baseball. Cheating is an integral part of baseball - it is undeniable.

Remember, the League had no policy on steroids and the League was complicit in looking the other way to save the game after the strike.

There was a time that black players were not allowed in the Majors. Why don't we put asterisks by all of the records by those during that time while we are at it?

Fact is that Barry was a Hall of Famer before he allegedly took steroids (right after MacGuire's record year). He had many gold gloves and all-star appearances. He not break any baseball rules (unlike the spitballers). He has never tested positive when it was finally banned, so what is the problem?

That he has tarnished such a great game? You mean the one that has Ty Cobb in the Hall - one of the biggest racicts to ever walk the earth?

knuckleboner
08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Stealing of signals is also part of baseball.

it's considered poor sportsmanship, but that's not officially cheating.

otherwise, i pretty much agree with the rest.

although, i should probably add that steriods weren't "cheating" in baseball until they were outlawed in like 2003. meaning that while we might want to complain that mcgwire in 1998 and bonds in 2001 cheated maris, the fact is that neither mcgwire nor bonds broke any rules in baseball when they set the single season home run records, no matter what they took.

jcook11
08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be a one man thread?! :D

I heard a rumor that Barry used some sort of illegal substance.....Must investigate further.................

chi-town324
08-09-2007, 07:36 PM

All I am saying is that cheating is part of baseball. No one can deny that. Sure steroids is pushing that envelope, but not by much Gaylord Perry

chi-town324
08-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey buddy! Lot of interesting shit going on the past month or so( good AND bad :D ), but I'm definitely glad to be back here! Man, my stomach's already in knots anticipating the start of the NFL season....can't wait till the Horns reclaim their place among the elite.......going to see them 3 times live this year(Seattle, Zona, and of course nearby in SF)........ I will be at the SF game..still looking for tickets..