Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Rumor Mill

by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

POSTED 8:47 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:32 p.m. EDT, April 29, 2004

STRAHAN HAS LOWER EXPECTATIONS

The Associated Press reports that Giants defensive end Michael Strahan has expressed concerns about the direction of the team after the acquisition of quarterback Eli Manning and the release of veteran Kerry Collins.

"I am not saying we don't have an opportunity with Eli Manning as the quarterback, but there is a difference when you have a rookie as opposed to a veteran player, and that's at any position," Strahan said.

"As an older player in this league and on this team, you just hope that it's not a situation where we sit back and wait for somebody, three, four or five years down the road to develop. Because by the time it happens, I doubt I'll be here to enjoy it.

"There is a reality we all know," Strahan said. "Oh, they are not in love with any of us. They don't feel like they owe any of us anything, and I think as players, you can't feel like you owe anybody anything."

MORE DETAILS ON CHARGERS-GIANTS TRADE

Meanwhile, a league source shared with us on Thursday more details regarding the trade that brought Manning to the Big Apple.

We're hearing that the Chargers' original price tag for the No. 1 pick was three first-round picks -- 2004, 2005, and 2006. We previously had heard that the Chargers wanted only a first-rounder and a second-rounder.

Of course, it's possible that these rumors are originating in Giants camp, in order to make the ultimate deal that the team swung look like something other than an impromptu date in a prison shower room.

We also have been told that G.M. Ernie Accorsi was a calming influence in the war room as the seconds ticked away on the team's 15 minutes to exercise the fourth overall pick. Coach Tom Coughlin was getting antsy, we hear, pressing Accorsi to call the Chargers about a trade. Accorsi told Coughlin to be patient -- and with roughly ten minutes left on the clock the phone rang.

If the G-men had used the pick with an eye toward keeping it, we're hearing that they would have selected either Ben Roethlisberger or Roy Williams -- and that they likely would have traded down to No. 7 with the Browns, who wanted to jump up to No. 4 for a crack at Miami safety Sean Taylor.

STEELERS, BILLS TRIED TO MOVE UP

One of the reasons that the Giants were hesitant to slide down to No. 7 in the hopes of pulling the Rivers-for-Manning swap was that both the Steelers and the Bills were trying desperately to trade up in an effort to nab Philip Rivers.

And if the Browns had snared Sean Taylor, the Redskins likely would have listened to offers to slide back to No. 11 or No. 13, given their reluctance to draft tight end Kellen Winslow (due in large part to his selection of the Postons as agents) and their dearth of draft picks.

So even though the Steelers ended up with Ben Roethlisberger, the word is that he was a fall back option for coach Bill Cowher, whose first wish was to tap into his alma mater of N.C. State for the team's long-term answer at quarterback.

RAIDERS REEL IN ZEREOUE

The Oakland Raiders have added veteran running back Amos Zereoue to a backfield that saw the departure of Charlie Garner last month.

Zereoue, who commenced the 2003 season as the starter in Pittsburgh due to a "gut feeling" on the part of coach Bill Cowher, was kicked in the cahones by the Steelers after a mediocre campaign.

Despite playing in all 16 games, Zereoue had the lowest rushing totals since cracking into the lineup on offense in 2001. Though some observers attribute Zereoue's performer to an unsettled line, many league insiders criticized the undersized-but-elusive back's inability to keep his feet or to break tackles.

The former West Virginia tailback who was selected in the third round of the 1999 draft emerged in 2001 as a solid complement to Jerome Bettis. After they shared touches in 2002, many thought that Amos was ready to take the next step.

He wasn't.

But we also think that Amos deserved more sniffs on the open market, and the Raiders deserve credit for recognizing that he's far from being washed up.

BUFFALO'S "NEW ERA" IS SHORT-LIVED

Lost in the Buffalo Bills' decision to trade back into round one to draft quarterback J.P. Losman is the fact that the Bills supposedly acquired their starting quarterback for the balance of the decade when they picked up Drew Bledsoe on day two of the 2002 draft, for a first-round pick in 2003.

And let's not forget the pomp and circumstance that accompanied G.M. Tom Donahoe's supposed coup that brought the 1993 No. 1 overall pick to Buffalo for less than, as Donahoe claimed, he ultimately would have given up. There was a rally complete with a marching band, and glowing praise from the team's 80-something owner, Ralph Wilson.

"This is a big day for Buffalo and particularly the Buffalo Bills," Wilson said the day that Bledsoe was introduced to a four-figure throng of fans. "When I saw all the people outside, I thought this was the first day of the season. You've given the area a spark and I know you have certainly given me a spark because I am looking forward to the start of the season."

Added former Bills guard Ruben Brown, who was cut earlier this year and later signed by the Bears, "Thank God that a guy like [Bledsoe] is coming so we can put all of the past behind us, because we're truly starting over right now. You can honestly say that this is a new era."

And when Bledsoe got off to a fast start in 2002, Donahoe gushed at the team's good fortune. "Drew is perfect for our personnel. But he also is so good he covers up lots of our warts. We couldn't have gotten luckier."

And that luck resulted in a middle-of-the-road 8-8 finish in 2002, and an even luckier 6-10 record last year.

Through it all, the guy who hired coach Gregg Williams and who swung the trade for Bledsoe faces only periodic blame for the fortunes of the team. League insiders continue to be baffled by the manner in which the Bills G.M. avoids scrutiny for the team's struggles.

So what will the Teflon Donahoe say to keep his job if/when the Bills struggle in 2004? We suspect he'll tell Mr. Wilson that the team is breaking in a new coach, and that the decision to draft Losman diminished the ability of the current class of rookies to contribute right away. Donahoe also might point to No. 13 overall pick Lee Evans' torn ACL of a couple of seasons ago, since players often need a couple of years to get back to their full potential.

Of course, in 2005 Donahoe will be able to point to the fact that they're breaking in Losman.

And then by 2006 Donahoe can tell Wilson that perhaps it's time to hire a coach who's better suited to maximize Losman's skills.

Through it all, Donahoe likely will continue to escape criticism, largely since the national media is reluctant to call out a guy who deftly spreads the scoop as a quid pro quo for positive press.

So as long as Donahoe maintains his mastery of the media, our guess is that he'll be around for as many "new eras" as Wilson is able to live to see.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 04-29-2004, 11:47 PM.
  • redblkwht
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Nice read bro..thanks

EUAS

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I like that site, recommend it. Wild bunch they are.

They post some interesting shit in that Rumor Mill.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

I know the Lions and the Steelers were talking a deal to get the Steelers to 6...and that they were talking with Washington at 5 to move up...if the Browns traded with the Giants...Pittsburgh was poised to move up and take the fifth pick...and get Rivers...

essentially though...you have to think Pittsburgh and the Chargers really moved Rivers stock up...supply and demand...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Hmmmm...a rumor mill...I like it...time to start a new thread...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

The Rumor Mill

Let them fly gentlman...

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Re: The Rumor Mill

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
              Let them fly gentlman...
              If you want to move that Rumor Mill I posted to this thread, it was only for that day, and I post it daily at my site, won't be anything to post it here too.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Then again, you are way ahead of me bro ... cool.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

LOL bro...on the same page......

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Damn, and I'm still at work, so I haven't even had the chance to alter my mind yet ...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I'm one step ahead of you...actually throwing down some Beck's as we speak......

Rumors coming up shortly...

Comment

• Troy
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Here's a rumor... I heard that Pojo prefers to pee in the potty trainer he bought for his son!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Only on Fridays...when I'm to drunk to crawl into bead......it's better than just pissing your pants...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

POSTED 8:33 a.m. EDT, May 1, 2004

STRAHAN DISSES COUGHLIN?

A league source tells us that Giants defensive end Michael Strahan recently took a stand against coach Tom Coughlin's request that the Pro Bowl defender participate in certain drills during offseason workouts.

Strahan told Coughlin that the drill was against the rules applicable to offseason work, and that Coughlin couldn't force him to participate.

Ouch.

As a practical matter, Strahan is protected. The Giants won't be dumping the cornerstone of their defense, and he's not subject to getting benched since he's clearly the best defensive lineman on the team.

Strahan words to Coughlin likely flowed from the same frustration that prompted his comments to the media on Thursday regarding his reduced expectations for the team, given the departure of Kerry Collins and the arrival of rookie Eli Manning.

Regardless, the incident is (in our view) a glimpse at some of the things that will be going on in the locker room this year, and our guess is that the Chargers will be using at least one high first-round pick in the draft next year, since the pick that they acquired from the G-men for Manning probably will be another top-five selection.

QUESTIONS SWIRL REGARDING J.P.'S NOGGIN

The book is still wide open on whether Tulane quarterback J.P. Losman justified a first-round pick in last weekend's draft.

And as folks debate whether Losman will be able to translate his solid performances when no one is trying to remove his head from his body to effective play when the temptation to break out the happy feet will be at its highest, league insiders are still talking about Losman's brain power, or lack thereof.

As we reported in February, Losman is one of the guys whose Wonderlic score dramatically increased from 2003 to 2004. This year, Losman got a respectable 31. The first time he took the test, he registered a pathetic 14.

The importance of the Wonderlic results varies from city to city, but most teams recognize that the score has the most relevance to quarterbacks, who constantly must make good, smart decisions under pressure.

And with teams acknowledging that some agents obtain copies of the test in advance and allow their clients to go to school on the answers, the real question is whether Losman's 14 was the product of a bad day, or whether the 31 was the result of highly specialized preparation.

As one league insider told us in February, if a kid can memorize multiple versions of the Wonderlic, then he can memorize a playbook. But there might be a difference when it comes to a quarterback, who must not only remember the plays but must also be able to recognize situations at the line of scrimmage in which a different play might work better -- or in which the play that's been called will fail.

For a quarterback who essentially failed the Wonderlic the first time he took it, we wonder whether he'll be able to master the critical mental aspects of the position.

SATURDAY ONE-LINERS

Jets DE John Abraham spent plenty of time in Friday's practice at linebacker.

The Packers are pleasantly surprised that DT Grady Jackson recently showed up at 355 pounds -- 15 pounds lighter than when they picked him up last November.

How big is Redskins S Sean Taylor? Teammate Fred Smoot thought he was LaVar Arrington on several occasions during minicamp practice on Friday.

The Jags already have placed rookie WR Reggie Williams at the No. 2 spot on the depth chart, behind only veteran Jimmy Smith.

Criticism is still echoing throughout the league regarding the decision of Packers coach/G.M. Mike Sherman to trade up in the third round to draft a punter.

The New York Jets will no longer allow reporters to attend practice.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Taylor was the best player in the draft...right now...

I didn't realize he was that big...

Comment

Working...