X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

A Lesson About Pickups

I'm getting ready to build another Frankenstrat. I've chose the Dimarzio Tone Zone. But for kicks I thought I would look at the overpriced Seymour Duncan '78/EVH pickup. I was noticing how low of an output model this is. I know Ed likes low output so the pickup can let the amp do the work. Anyway, I was noticing the DC resistance of he EVH is 9.1k and my tone zone about 17.31. I was curious to the relationship of output and DC Resistance. Come to find out DC R has no relation to power, because it doesn'[t address what gauge the coil wire is or what the magnet strength is. You would actually need to base it on voltage in a real world situation.

I know as much as the next guy about pickups, but found this interesting. Thought I would share the knowledge.

Pickups –For an electric guitar, this is obviously the single most determining factor when it comes to sound. Bear in mind, though, that pickups do not produce sound; they merely process it. While you can certainly improve the sound of a low grade guitar by replacing the pickups, odds are you will never get a bolt-on guitar with a body made from plywood to sound like a your dream axe no matter what kind of pickups you put in it.

The sound of a pickup is determined by a number of factors (warning: this is all that awful techie stuff you probably don’t want to bother with)

Output (Inductance) – measured in henrys. Contrary to the belief of most people, a pickup’s DC resistance is not the same thing as its output level. Output is determined by a combination of the number of turns of wire, resistance, and the strength of the magnetic field. Strip the magnet off of a pickup, and the resistance remains the same, but you won’t get any output at all. Replace a weakened alnico V magnet with a strong ceramic magnet, and the output level will jump, but the resistance remains unchanged. Unfortunately, output is for all practical purposes impossible to quantify. There are too many variables to take into effect. The change in output between two different pickups might vary widely depending on the distance of the pickups from the string, or differences in how hard the string is plucked. Consequently, most manufacturers provide other information like resistance, resonant peak levels, and magnet type.
    D.C. Resistance -measured in ohms. This is determined by the number of turns of wire and the gauge (thickness) of the wire. Thinner and/or more turns of wire will mean more output and a loss of treble.
    Capacitance – This occurs when turns of wire are placed next each other. The proximity of the wires bleeds off higher frequencies. A short fat single coil pickup like a P-90 sounds dramatically different from the taller thinner Strat® style pickup. The P-90 has much higher capacitance, and thus has a much thicker midrange response.
    Magnet Type - With Humbucking pickups (or any other style of pickup in which the polepieces are made from steel with the actual magnet mounted below), only the strength of the magnet in a pickup affects the sound, though certain types of magnets are typically engineered for specific degrees of strength. Replacing an Alnico magnet with a ceramic magnet of the same strength would make no difference. This is not true, however, with Fender style pickups where the polepieces are the actual magnets. For those type of pickups, the sound is affected by the hysteresis of the magnetic material. (For an explanation of hysteresis, see Bill Lawrence’s website). The most common magnet types are alnico (a composite made of Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt) and ceramic. There are also different types of alnico, the most common being alnico 2 and alnico 5. In general, pickups made with alnico 5 tend to have the warmest, “sweetest” tone. Alnico 2 pickups will have more upper range frequencies, producing a slightly brighter, punchier tone. Ceramic magnet pickups often have the most output, and tend to have a harsher, more biting tone. This is because ceramic magnets are typically much stronger than their alnico counterparts. “Distortion” or “overdriven” pickups are nearly always made with ceramic magnets. There are plenty of exceptions to all this. Pickups made with Alnico can be engineered to have a harsh growl to them, while pickups with ceramic magnets can be made to produce a softer tone. These are just general guidelines.
    This space for rent.
  • hillbillyhell
    Roadie
    • Apr 2007

Good stuff !!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Either way, the EVH pup sounds better than a Tone Zone...

Comment

• kentuckyklira
        Veteran
        • Sep 2004

I recently dug out an old (bought it used in 1981) DiMarzio PAF pick up and put it into a superstrat projekt of mine, bridge position. Incredible pick up, sounds smooth and creamy without muddying up anything. Works well with the volume pot, sounds nice from clean to crunchy to well overdriven!

I´m sure I must have another one here, time to tidy up my flat and cellar.
        http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

I dig the tone zone for CVH tone with my JSX. I'm sure the SD '78 is good, but there's no way it is $160 good. They're fucking everyone on that price. So you have one? What is it in? Do you really think it is worth that price tag? I'll watch evay for them, eventually I'll come across one but for that much dough I can't justify it. Be easier just to put a Gibson PAF in.
          This space for rent.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

No, I don't have one...

My main pup is a Dimarzio HS3 as I go for that Yngwietype overdrive tone...

But a friend of mine tried out my rig with a Strat with the EVH pickup and it sounds nice...

Very clean, very low output almost sounded like my HS3's but lacking the bell like Strat tone...

The HS3 is a stacked humbucker and it sounds like a humbucker when
            compared to a stock single coil. Actually, just a bit less of the bell like clean single coil Strat tone...

But compared to a high output humbucker the EVH sounds good. More of the actual guitar than just buzzy distortion...

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

...I'm gonna try the EVH pretty soon. NOT a fan of the Tone Zone though....
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

I've never been a fan of DiMarzio pickups....I dunno, just something about them. The thing with the EVH pickup is that it has mismatched coils, just like Ed's original Frankie pickup. I've got some friends who have taken the slug coil from a Duncan '58 and the screw coils from a Custom Custom and acheived the same thing. They also used AlNiCo II magnets. I've seen it done vice versa as well, which wouldn't be hard to do.

Comment

• pflo
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2006

I just picked up a SH 11 Custom Custom off Ebay for 50 bucks. Its the Eddie sound, ive never heard such warm low mids! Get one of those if you dont want to spend for the EVH. Apparently, the SH 11 was supposed to be marketed as Eddies replica pickup, but that fell through.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by pflo
                    I just picked up a SH 11 Custom Custom off Ebay for 50 bucks. Its the Eddie sound, ive never heard such warm low mids! Get one of those if you dont want to spend for the EVH. Apparently, the SH 11 was supposed to be marketed as Eddies replica pickup, but that fell through.
                    I'm debating between that and the EVH...may try the SH11 first...
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

I had a custom custom once. It was a piece of shit. It had nothing but buzz. No matter how many times I regrounded it, it never helped. I hated that thing. Didn't care for the tone either, so I sold it on ebay. Tone is subjective.

I had that HS3 in a strat a few years ago. That is a great pickup. One of my fav single coils.
                      This space for rent.

Comment

• pflo
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by indeedido
                        I had a custom custom once. It was a piece of shit. It had nothing but buzz. No matter how many times I regrounded it, it never helped. I hated that thing. Didn't care for the tone either, so I sold it on ebay. Tone is subjective.

I had that HS3 in a strat a few years ago. That is a great pickup. One of my fav single coils.
                        Yeah, mine was buzzing like a mofo when I first put it in, but I figured it out, you have to ground the strings directly to the input jack ground, not the pot ground.The red and whites need to be soldered together and taped, etc. The Seymour Duncan site shows you how to do it properly, unlike the card insert diagram that comes in the box, it isnt really correct. I sat there for hours trying to figure out why it was buzzing so much. Now it it silent. I can sit two feet from the computer and hear harldly anything at all. Its actually quieter than my Les Paul. You also have to eliminate any ground loops, which can be easy make when grounding to the pot.Nothing to do with the pickup, just the wiring.
                        Last edited by pflo; 04-19-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• indeedido
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Thanks for the info. Wish I had that a few years ago. It drove me nuts.
                          This space for rent.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                            I've never been a fan of DiMarzio pickups....I dunno, just something about them.
                            Dude, that's all in your mind...

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido

...I have one sitting here on my desk. I should give it a home.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...