• Feb 2007

yea his solo albums sold millions

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
        yea his solo albums sold millions
        He's sold his share. He moved 100,000 copies of "Flexable" before signing to a major label. Not too shabby.

Vai is downright scary on the geetar !
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

A very talented player with the technical ability to express probably just about anything he wants to on the guitar, yet does little to nothing for me these days.

Sure, my jaw dropped when I first heard his stuff in the 1980s. As a guitar player, I can totally appreciate what he does.

What is remembered in the long-haul is the SONGS, and in the songwriting ability department he hasn't come up with much that is memorable.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Good enough to play with Frank Zappa...legendary status to me!
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

just never cared for his style..talented yes

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

IMHO, he and Satriani both owe alot to Jeff Beck. Therefore, being mentioned in the same sentence with Jeff Beck gives them instant credibility. Not that they need credibility...they've both earned that based on talent alone. But every so often? Highway Jam rolls across the playlist, and you go, "Fuck, I think some extremely talented guiatrists are thankful that Jeff Beck exists!"

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                  IMHO, he and Satriani both owe alot to Jeff Beck. Therefore, being mentioned in the same sentence with Jeff Beck gives them instant credibility. Not that they need credibility...they've both earned that based on talent alone. But every so often? Highway Jam rolls across the playlist, and you go, "Fuck, I think some extremely talented guiatrists are thankful that Jeff Beck exists!"
                  What it takes Vai and Satriani 3,000 notes to say, Beck can do in three.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

Steve Vai is talented, but couldn't write a good song in his solo career to save his life. His material with Dave was great, but then again he was working with a genious.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Oct 2004

I think he's a technically GRATE player, but he doesn't play with much soul.

Also, he has no idea aboot how to fit a solo in a song, he's just all aboot showing off and not how to compliment the song with a solo (hence, "Big Trouble", the solo in that has always seemed out of place to me).

I've got 4 or 5 of his solo albums. They're decnt enough (quite like "Sex and Religion"), but on the whole, all he has is fast fingers.
                      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                        Commando
                        • Mar 2006

You can tell that Vai practiced 10 hours a day for a lot of years but his playing is very annoying to my ears. I bought one of his CD's once. I think it was called Passion and Warfare. I couldn't make it through the whole CD. I have not listened to it again since. I also can't handle all of his posing and all of those forced facial expressions he makes when he plays.
                        Last edited by PlexiBrown; 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM.
                        And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
                          Steve Vai is talented, but couldn't write a good song in his solo career to save his life. His material with Dave was great, but then again he was working with a genious.
                          Ditto. Honestly the only Steve Vai album I've ever heard that I can honestly stand listening to him on (repeatedly) is Alcatrazz's "Disturbing the Peace". EEAS, Skyscraper, Whitesnake, solo...with the bands, he's OK, but I've never been "into him" as a guitarist...
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• theicecreamman
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2005

Vai is amazing. I can't wait to buy his upcoming releases Sound Theories (also known as Aching Hunger bootleg). It should be out soon.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PlexiBrown
                              You can tell that Vai practiced 10 hours a day for a lot of years but his playing is very annoying to my ears. I bought one of his CD's once. I think it was called Passion and Warfare. I couldn't make it through the whole CD. I have not listened to it again since. I also can't handle all of his posing and all of those forced facial expressions he makes when he plays.
                              my little brother (pete) hates the fact he's always posing his nipples. "make sure ya see my nipples!"

i liked the compilation album 7 or 7songs, all his "ballad" tunes track 7 from each album. smoke some kgb and kick back in the pool with the wife. life is good
                              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...