PDA

View Full Version : Despite revenue slump, RIAA still not getting the big picture

Hardrock69
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
By Eric Bangeman | Published: April 18, 2007 - 01:12PM CT

The Recording Industry Association of America has released its 2006 year-end shipment statistics, and they tell a familiar tale. Shipments of physical media such as CDs continue their decline while the number of downloads continues to soar. Overall revenues continue their slide, as revenues from the increased number of digital sales failed to make up for falling CD sales.

For 2006, the RIAA reports that manufacturers shipped 553.2 million "retail units." That number includes CDs, music videos, vinyl albums, and singles. That's down 12.8 percent from 2005's 634.8 million figure and is just over half of 2000's 1.08 billion shipments. It is not an unexpected trend—last week we noted a study that predicted a continued free-fall for the music industry at least through 2012.

Digital sales—which include downloads, kiosks, ringtones, subscriptions, and music videos—continue to be a success story for the music industry. The RIAA reported a 27.6 percent increase in digital sales versus 2005, and when mobile sales (e.g., ringtones and direct-to-phone downloads) are taken out of the picture, unit sales jumped 63.2 percent. It's a significant drop from last year's 166.2 percent year-over-year growth, but still something the industry should be pleased with.

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/2006-music.png

Data source: Recording Industry Association of America

The RIAA is pleased with how digital sales are performing. "Today's music marketplace has challenges but it also offers reason for hope and optimism," said RIAA chairman and CEO Mitch Bainwol. "The appetite for music is as strong as ever and a digital marketplace now worth nearly $2 billion has emerged virtually overnight."
Still unclear on the concept

Unfortunately, it appears that the music industry is still having trouble grasping the scope of the challenges it faces. Another quote from Bainwol reflects this: "Our continuing mission is to help level the playing field so retailers and legal services don't have to compete with piracy and to work for parity in a marketplace with increasing convergence between various music distribution and broadcast outlets."

Retailers and legal services will always have to compete with piracy, and no amount of file-sharing litigation is going to change it. File-sharing still goes on, with much of it pushed deeper into the recesses of darknets to evade detection. The music industry will always have to compete with "free," since it remains a viable alternative to millions of music fans, despite the record industry's best efforts to eradicate it.

Some influential figures in the music industry do grasp the necessity of competing with pirates. When he announced that music at the iTunes Store would remain at 99¢, Apple CEO Steve Jobs framed the decision in part by the need to compete with piracy. "If the price goes up, [consumers] will go back to piracy and everybody loses," said Jobs. And he's not the only one who understands it.

The unfortunate fact for the RIAA that Bainwol doesn't seem to grasp is that the game has fundamentally changed forever, and there's no going back to the days of year-over-year revenue growth, at least not for the next five years or so. CD sales are on a downward slope and they're taking the industry's revenues with them.

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 10:55 AM
FUCK 'EM!!!

I don't buy from a store anymore unless I absolutely have to - and in cases like those, ebay's always a sure-fire bet, too, because 9 times out of 10, what I'm looking for no store will carry because (surprise!) it won't sell enough. And then there's pawn shops...

$17 CDs of unpromoted music are not going to just up and fly off the shelves by themselves, exactly...which is why music stores won't stock anything other than Jessica Simpson and Hilary Duff...

The RIAA just doesn't fucking get it. If CDs were still priced in the $10-$12 range and labels would actually push their fucking artists, well...who knows...

There is NO logic in the world that can convince me that the RIAA needs $18 a CD to cut even. None.

Hardrock69
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Here are another couple of relevant articles:

Trent Reznor: CD Outdated... But If We Have To Sell It, Why Not Make It Cool?
from the and-that's-how-sales-work dept

Earlier this month we wrote about how Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails was creatively marketing his new album (and how the RIAA was incorrectly trying to takedown songs from file sharing systems, even though it was part of Reznor's promotional plan). Two separate submissions today make an interesting point about Reznor's strategy. First, comes from Cixelsid, who points out an article that's actually from last month, where Reznor talks about why he's giving away DRM-free music on USB drives hidden at his concerts:

"The USB drive was simply a mechanism of leaking the music and data we wanted out there. The medium of the CD is outdated and irrelevant. It's really painfully obvious what people want -- DRM-free music they can do what they want with. If the greedy record industry would embrace that concept I truly think people would pay for music and consume more of it."

It's always nice to see a musician recognize this simple fact. However, it's made even more interesting when combined with this submission from John about the new Nine Inch Nails CD. According to some photos on Flickr, the CD changes color after it's been played. Basically, it changes colors when it gets hot (like those old t-shirts or mugs or whatever). Now, this is simply a gimmick, but it's an interesting one for someone who believes the CD is irrelevant. Whether on purpose or not, Reznor (or, perhaps someone associated with him) recognizes that, these days, if you want someone to buy the actual CD, you need to give them an additional reason to -- especially if it's a reason that can't easily be replicated. A color changing CD is exactly that. It's an additional reason for buying the CD, simply for the "cool" factor. It won't work for everyone (in fact, this type of thing only works for some of the first who do it), but it shows a pretty smart way of thinking about things. Don't expect people to just buy the same old thing (especially when many consider it irrelevant) unless you offer something of value with it that gives them a reason to actually buy. You can still sell CDs, but not if they're just delivering the same thing that can be more efficiently delivered in other ways.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070418/031040.shtml

Vinyl sales up as music lovers get fed up with DRM

As we reported a few times in the past, while most people have long forgotten about the LP, apparently LPs are climbing in sales despite the falling CD sales. According to this report, vinyl record sales have increased by 10% over the last year with audiophiles fed up with anti-piracy measures heading back to vinyl. Some also claim records sound better than the CD versions.

While it is very difficult to make a perfect copy of a record due to a record holding music in the analogue format, at least consumers can easily re-record their vinyl collection to CD or on their PC to place on their MP3 player. As vinyl records cannot be crippled with DRM, a vinyl record is pretty much guaranteed to be playable on any turntable that plays its speed (usually 33rpm for LP or 45rpm for a single). I'm sure some who looked at Amazon's Top 100 selling electronics would have noticed a USB Turntable among the top 100 on occasion, especially around the Christmas period where one ranked higher than even Microsoft's Zune.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Vinyl-sales-up-as-music-lovers-get-fed-up-with-DRM.html

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
A color changing CD? Fuck yeah I'd buy it. Except not from Trent Reznor, because I'm not a NiN fan. But out of my favorite artists? Shit yeah. Give me some reason to buy the CD, and I will. So long as it's priced REASONABLY.

And vinyl DOES sound better than CD - unfortunately, it's there's the portability and storage constrait. But for collector's value...absolutely...

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I have a Zune 30 gig MP3 player. Every CD I own is uploaded onto it.

Every CD I own, consequently, is in one of four large cardboard boxes I have in storage with the label "BOBS CRAP" across them.

The day of the CD is done. The digital frontier is the next frontier, and the RIAA had either better get with it or get the fuck out of the way. Christ, my 10 year old's getting an MP3 player soon! The next generation isn't going to be weened off of cassettes and vinyl like we were - they're just going to steamroll right over compact discs like it was nobody's business, simply because the technology is here and the kids know how to use it.

Simple as that.

Hardrock69
04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I am behind the times....I still have yet to put a cd player in my vehicle.

But that is on my agenda for my tax refund.

:D

Hell...I oughta just skip that and get a portable mp3 player that broadcasts over FM...

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'd second that idea...

Ya old fucker, get with it!

Shaun Ponsonby
04-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I am behind the times....I still have yet to put a cd player in my vehicle.

So am I, and I'm technically a child of the time.

bueno bob
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
So am I, and I'm technically a child of the time.

Well duh. What are you, 11 now?

:confused:

Wawazat
04-19-2007, 04:00 PM
HAh, my BMW-Vehicle has a CD Player & a quite nice set of speakers.

I ALWAYS have the six pack aboard.

And YES we still have No speed limit :D

Hardrock69
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I just turned 17...

BruinJer
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
What's cool about MP3's also is that you can load ALL of the CD info into the MP3 file like Artist name, Album Cover, Credits & Lyrics.... I'm in the process of transfering ALL of my CDs to MP3's format so I can load them on my SLVR and to keep on a re-writable CD.

I think what would be wise for record company's to do is release Albums/CD's on the record company's website THEN release the standard CD a week or month later. This will give the consumer a choice on either having it on CD or MP3. The way it's being done now is not going to work...

cMb
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I followed NIN's marketing of Year Zero from the start & it was pretty exciting from a fan's point of view.

The actual CD is just a part of the 'art', which included leaked tracks on stick drives (found at NIN concerts), hidden 'codes' in sound files, creepy phone messages & 'secret' web sites which all tied-in to the theme of the album.

It really is a unique idea, using all different aspects of todays technology.

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard the RIAA was trying to shut down sites that were hosting files that were 'leaked', intentionally, by the artist himself! Wow! :rolleyes:

The album itself ain't too shabby either.:cool:

Hardrock69
04-19-2007, 10:01 PM
That is a perfect example of the stupidity and irrationality of the RIAA..

Fuck those worthless cocksuckers!
:rolleyes:

Shaun Ponsonby
04-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well duh. What are you, 11 now?

:confused:

I wish...life is still good when you're 11, you don't start worrying aboot things until you're 15.

Coyote
04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I wish...life is still good when you're 11, you don't start worrying aboot things until you're 15.

amen... :(

Wawazat
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I just turned 17...

Hurrah, is there a speed limit on Fornax9 :confused: