X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLRdelight!
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Arctic Monkeys

anyone here like them??? i got their latest cd and to me it is much better than their first. im going to see them this thurs at the jimmy kimmel show. so what are your thoughts??
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I'm kind of sick of them, they are overplayed in the UK like you wouldn't believe.

Not my cup of tea, but they definately have some strong points: I always like storytelling lyrics, and the Monkeys certainly have a way with them - pretty accurate portrait of the life of someone in their late-teens in the North of England I'd say...

Musically, they're just a punk band right? So many of the bands around now rip-off XTC so badly it's not even funny: The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers etc...
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• DLRdelight!
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

well here in the us dont really hear much of them. maybe thats because i dont listen to the radio but i have read many things about them and they do seem overplayed in the uk. and yes i like their lyrics also, but dont know if i would call them a punk band

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

If you think about the arrangments, there is a definate Punk influence.

They may not play with such a hard sound as many punk bands, but the influence is there nonetheless...

Comment

• DLRdelight!
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

well yeah of course

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

HA!

I'm with Binnie for the most part.

But, I also find them dull and boring. They've only ever done 1 TV interview, which was on Soccer AM, bizzarely enough, and they were so boring, they were lifeless. Just nothing remotely interesting was said in a remotley interesting way. And Soccer AM is a loud, lively programme with a loud crew and attractive women jumping on trampolines whenever the opurtunity arises.

I like characters...there don't seem to be any in the Monkeys. I don't HATE them, but I don't really like them.

Much prefer the Fratellis when it comes to indie bands.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Yeah, I'd have to agree Shaun.

As far as Indie goes, I've never really been a fan: if you're gonna rock, do it full out not with half measures....

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Oct 2004

Thats why I like The Fratellis.

Lyrics like

"I met her in a bar the men with big guitars were playin'
                And I listened with my ears but couldn't hear what she was sayin'
                I guess she talked with her mind, I didn't want to seem unkind, so I just laughed,
                Kept my eyes peeled to the door, wondering what I was there for

It's alright, It's alright
                I got my nuts from a hippy in a campervan on saturday night"

Now, thats obviously aboot wanting to bang someone, then you look at the Monkey's;

"I bet she looks good on the dancefloor"

Now, if I'm truthful, I'm not exactly a sexual predator, but I've never saw a girl and though "Oooooh, I bet SHE looks good on the dancefloor".

On a side note, I actually also suspect that one of the Fratellis posts here, cos they got a song called "Cuntry Boys & City Girls", and I've never been anywhere else where CUNT is used in other words.
                Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• WelshJon
                  Groupie
                  • Aug 2004

Arctic Monkeys lick balls.
                  www.myspace.com/jonsudbury

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Arctic Monkeys...

limpwristed
                    uninspiring
                    boring
                    tossers

Take your pick.
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

well went to the mini concert at the jimmy kimmel show and it was great. the other guitarist looked tires as hell though or sick, but they played 12 songs. good free show

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Lyrics like

I guess she talked with her mind, I didn't want to seem unkind, so I just laughed,

Now, thats obviously aboot wanting to bang someone, then you look at the Monkey's;

Now, if I'm truthful, I'm not exactly a sexual predator, but I've never saw a girl and though "Oooooh, I bet SHE looks good on the dancefloor".

On a side note, I actually also suspect that one of the Fratellis posts here, cos they got a song called "Cuntry Boys & City Girls", and I've never been anywhere else where CUNT is used in other words.
                        Those Fratelli lyrics are pretty cool actually, still not my cup of tea though...

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Oct 2004

Not you're cup of tea...but I bet if "Chelsea Dagger" came on the jukebox in your local after a few drinks, you couldn't resist the chorus.
                          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• pflo
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Lyrics like

Its " I bet that YOU look good on the dancefloor" , delivered with biting sarcasm.Guess you missed that. Changes the whole point of the song, dunnit? They are brilliant sarcastic witty assholes, and for that they get my vote.

Comment

• The_KiD
                              Commando
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                              I'm kind of sick of them, they are overplayed in the UK like you wouldn't believe.

Not my cup of tea, but they definately have some strong points: I always like storytelling lyrics, and the Monkeys certainly have a way with them - pretty accurate portrait of the life of someone in their late-teens in the North of England I'd say...

Musically, they're just a punk band right? So many of the bands around now rip-off XTC so badly it's not even funny: The Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers etc...
                              I am with you on this one binnie. There was all this hype regarding their first album. I listened to it and listened to again and just did not get what was so great. I mean we have all heard it before..

Anyway, not a bad band but average at best in my book..

Cheers,

KiD

Comment

Working...