PDA

View Full Version : "Worst" of Megadeth

Mr. Vengeance
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I can't say there's any album I dislike in the catalogue. I'm going to go with Risk as the runt of the litter, though. Really pretty wimpy in parts. Crush 'Em was really lame. The album cover was dopey...

Well, maybe there is one album I dislike.

Discuss.

WARF
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Risk was their version of "LOAD"

mako_kimura
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
It's kind of hard to think of a bad Megadeth album, but if I absolutely had to, I'd go with either Risk or Youthenasia

cMb
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
This is pretty much a tie between 'Risk' & 'Youth' for the original issues.

I'll give 'Youth' the edge because the remaster had 'New World Order' on it, making it slightly better for me.

bueno bob
04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Youthanasia, Risk and The World Needs a Hero.

Bleh.

Steve Savicki
04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I never thought they were that good. Not melodic enough.
Or maybe I just didn't get into them.
So yeah, I'll just guess their later stuff is out among the original fanbase.

Tiki-Tom
04-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm going with "World Needs a Hero".
I tried my best to like it but it was the first deth disc that from start to finish I just could not get into.

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Ok, Risk is the worst album because they went so far way from their sound, and the on the only really heavy song, "Prince of Darkness", they sounded like a parody of themselves.

Things started to go downhill with Youthenasia, the second half of which consisted of filler: Reckoning Day, Train of Consequences, Addicted to Chaos were all classic Megadeth, and I for one quite enjoyed A Tout Le Monde, although I don't think it's as great as Mustaine does!

Cryptic Writings was their attempt at doing something like "Load": the songs were all well writing, lets be clear about that, but it was Megadeth doing hard-rock, and it didn't feel right to me. Some great tunes on there to be sure, but it would have felt better as a Mustiane solo record IMO.

The World Needs A Hero had some great moments: Dread and the Fugitive Mind is as good as anything they've ever done. The problem was the production: some of the songs were in serious need of editing, they ruined 1000 Time Goodbye by over-doing the phone conversation thing, and they didn't spend wnough time fattening up the new sound. That album and The System Has Failed were both guilty of too much guitar soloing: Megadeth has always had smoking lead worlk, but it was overkill on these.

But The Sytem Has Failed was a really strong album, and a trurn back to the classic-era Megadeth: heavy, fast and intense with killer Mustiane lyrics and full on agro.

Whilst I am critical of the post Countdown To Extinction output, I love every Megadeth record and listen to them reguarly. I think sometimes that the fans are the best critics. Risk is clearly the weakest however.

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:20 AM
The most underated Megadeth album is "Killing is My Business...", that album does not get anywhere near enough props.

Tne remastered version just crushes most records...

bueno bob
04-26-2007, 03:31 AM
I'm somewhat interested to hear what United Abominations is going to sound like...sounds like Dave has his head back in the game (almost), so I'm optimistic...hopeful, but still a bit cautious...we'll see...

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:48 AM
Bob, United Abominations is going to be a killer record which harkens bark to the golden days. Listen to the guitar tone on this new song:

Sleepwalker (studio version)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3apgEi4cihw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3apgEi4cihw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Here's another new one (supposed to be the weakest track on there accoridng to the reviews)

Gears of War:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ReNh-xzEBc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ReNh-xzEBc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:51 AM
And here's a radio edit of anther song:

Washington is Next (the recording here isn't as per studio I don't think):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wabUMQAMnvQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wabUMQAMnvQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
04-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Sorry to go off the thread topic Mr V!!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Youthanasia, Risk and The World Needs a Hero.

Bleh.

Originally posted by binnie
The most underated Megadeth album is "Killing is My Business...", that album does not get anywhere near enough props.

Tne remastered version just crushes most records...

Completely agree with both of you.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-26-2007, 04:14 AM
binnie: I just got the remastered version of KIMB, and I am amazed at how good it is. THIS RECORD KILLS!

binnie
04-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
binnie: I just got the remastered version of KIMB, and I am amazed at how good it is. THIS RECORD KILLS!

My thoughts entirely: they did a great job turining the bass up so it really kicks, and you can feel it going through you.

An amazing record, and to think it was made in 1985, it's heavier than anything around at the moment (well, just about anyway...)

Rattle your goddamned head!!!

ace diamond
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I can't say there's any album I dislike in the catalogue. I'm going to go with Risk as the runt of the litter, though. Really pretty wimpy in parts. Crush 'Em was really lame. The album cover was dopey...

Well, maybe there is one album I dislike.

Discuss.

yeah, i would have to agree with you there.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
My thoughts entirely: they did a great job turining the bass up so it really kicks, and you can feel it going through you.

An amazing record, and to think it was made in 1985, it's heavier than anything around at the moment (well, just about anyway...)

Rattle your goddamned head!!!

Some of the vocals in the original were literally incomprehensible.

Padre Atilio
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I go with TWNAH, it has the most weakest songs but i love this album. Still better than Metallicas stuff past 1991. Risk was different but all of the songs were well written and its a very interesting album in their catalogue. If I had to choose a song that I disliked, it would be Sweating Bullets.

binnie
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Padre Atilio
If I had to choose a song that I disliked, it would be Sweating Bullets.

Why????

Is it because it's overplayed, or you just don't like it?

redfire
04-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd have to go with Risk. I don't like really anything on there. And like someone said, Prince of Darkness is the heaviest thing on there and it did sound like a weak attempt at classic Megadeth.

That said, I'd still rather listen to Risk than anything Metallica has done post Black album.

You would be suprised how many young people are getting into Megadeth. When I graduated high school 6 years ago, there were about 5 of us who even knew who Megadeth was. But, with increased exposure (due a lot to Gigantour) there are a lot of kids that I know that ask me to show them Megadeth riffs and what not. So, here's hoping that United Abominations is everything Dave thinks it's going to be. :killer:

binnie
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, i think the Gigantitour could really boost Megadeth's profile...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by redfire
So, here's hoping that United Abominations is everything Dave thinks it's going to be. :killer:

It is.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-29-2007, 03:36 PM
The censoring of "These Boots" on KIMB.

sadaist
04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
The World Needs A Hero. I actually really like a few songs from Risk.

sadaist
04-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by redfire

You would be suprised how many young people are getting into Megadeth.

Bands like Slipknot, Disturbed, Cradle of Filth, and Korn are getting the kids into heavy stuff. Once there, they want to hear the really good stuff so they get some older Megadeth & Metallica.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Bands like Slipknot, Disturbed, Cradle of Filth, and Korn are getting the kids into heavy stuff. Once there, they want to hear the really good stuff so they get some older Megadeth & Metallica.

Unfortunately some never break the cycle of the nü metal.

binnie
05-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Nu Metal is dead and gone. Kids now like the screamo stuff like Killswitch Engage and such.

There are planety of decent straight up heavy metal bands out there getting kids into heavier music - those bands are "new" rather than "nu": not a rap, hip-hop beat or DJ in sight!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I know nothing about them, but I have seen a lot of Avenged Sevenfold shit around.... they must suck.

binnie
05-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Ok, but that's not Nu Metal.

Nu Metal is Korn and bands like that, bands that downtune and use a lot of hip hop influences.

I actually really like Avenged Sevenfold, they remind of early Helloween at times...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok, but that's not Nu Metal.

Nu Metal is Korn and bands like that, bands that downtune and use a lot of hip hop influences.

Yeah I know...

I was just wondering if Avenged is any good or not.

Dave's Bitch
05-08-2007, 08:52 AM
If i had to name one the worst,i would probably go with "The world needs a hero".I feel that it just doesnt have the edge that the others have,I dont think Al Pitrelli's guitar work is at its best throughout,Certainly not up to the standards of Marty Friedman on any album.It is a good album no doubt but to me i would say there are only a few stand out songs (Return To Hangar,Promises,Moto Psycho).The world needs a hero is to me anyway the point where Mustaine sat down and thought they should get back to what made them so rip your balls off thrash,Bringing back Chris Poland was great on The System Has Failed,Songs like Back in the day and Die dead enough i feel took them back to the roots.

Never the less The world needs a hero is still a great album,but in my opinion i would say it is the most lacking

Love and Bruises, DB :)

binnie
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey Dave's Bitch, hope all is well?

You heard the new Megadeth record yet? It's killer!!

If not then check out the last few pages of the Megadeth vs Metallica thread where all of the songs are posted.

binnie
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Well worth checking out, although they maybe an aquired taste: lots of different kinds of rock music in there...

mako_kimura
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah I know...

Hard to say really, I don't dig 'em, But that's mostly because I try to stay away from the newer bands that have mostly female fan bases (Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold etc. ). But to get back on topic, I kind of dug The World Needs A Hero, mostly for Moto Psycho. So Far, So Good...So What! wasn't really my cup of tea, either

binnie
05-09-2007, 02:35 AM
So Far, So Good So What is the most underrated Megadeth album IMO, that and Killing Is My Business....

I just love the raw sound, and uncontrolled fury on that one..

ace diamond
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
The censoring of "These Boots" on KIMB.

Yeah, i was really pissed off when i got the re-master only to find out they bleeped the fuck out of it!

binnie
05-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Yeah, it did suck: some people need to develop a sense of humour...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
I must be alone here, but I hated Moto Psycho!

The video is cheesy, the music is cheesy.

Just disgusting...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K4oXmwQrs7Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K4oXmwQrs7Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Just the chorus is what I hate... the song isn't half bad.

binnie
05-16-2007, 02:52 AM
No, I'm with you on that I thought it was goofy.

Not their "worst" but pretty bad nonetheless...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Move it or lose it baby?

In a Megadeth song?

As opposed to:

Brother will kill brother, spilling blood across the land, killing for religion, something I don't understand...

Oh, how the mighty will fall! But, at least Megadeth got back up again and released some cool shit after this. They did not flat out die like Metallica.

binnie
05-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Yeah, it wasn't even in the strong half of the songs on WNAH.

Just a pastiche of what Megadeth is about.

Like you say, at least things are now back on track....

Dave's Bitch
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
So Far, So Good So What is the most underrated Megadeth album IMO, that and Killing Is My Business....

I just love the raw sound, and uncontrolled fury on that one..

I could not agree more.I have always loved SFSGSW,for some reason out of all the megadeth fans i speak with i am one of the only ones,it is great o hear someone who shares my opinion.It has that angry offensive rip your balls off raunchyness to it

binnie
08-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
.It has that angry offensive rip your balls off raunchyness to it

Ha Ha!

I think that pretty much describes the guitar tone on that record!

Dave's Bitch
08-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Ha Ha!

I think that pretty much describes the guitar tone on that record!

The first three records infact.Megadeth started to loose that direction with (alhough it is a fuckin awesome kick ass album) Countdown to extinction