X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seagate5150
    Full On Cocktard
    • Apr 2007

When Was VH At Their Height?

Many people belive VH was at their height during the FW years, some belive they were at their height during 83-84. Your thoughts?
  • Jimmy Jingles
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

Any year that Dave was in the band.
    23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

As far as tours go, the Fair Warning tour was probably the pinacle of what they did as far as number of shows, sellouts, etc.

But overall, I'd have to say it was 1984. With the success of Jump and the album itself, the videos, and of course the tour, that was HUGE year.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I'd say around 1988, when their perfect synth pop melodies were at their creative peak... under the direction of Sammy Hagar!

Yeah... right.... fuck that shit... lol

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
          Any year that Dave was in the band.
          True, because it was nothing but down hill after that.......
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• evhfan5150
            Full On Cocktard
            • Apr 2007

With Dave they were always at a high. But the highest I would say was just before FW.
            "I used to have a drug problem, now I have enough money." Dave Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              As far as tours go, the Fair Warning tour was probably the pinacle of what they did as far as number of shows, sellouts, etc.

But overall, I'd have to say it was 1984. With the success of Jump and the album itself, the videos, and of course the tour, that was HUGE year.
              Agreed on both counts.

The band was pretty big prior to 1984, but Jump and all the videos for 1984 really rocketed the band into the stratosphere. Pretty much towered over all the other rock acts that year, least stateside.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• CROWBAR
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

The FW tour was probably their best musically. They were firing on all eight cylinders, no question. But, as Terry stated, 1984 was the year they shot to the stratosphere. They got so much exposure from MTV, which was still in its infancy, and basically grew up with each other. They milked that well dry. Because of that, and said album was great despite adding keys, they played every doghouse, outhouse, and wash house that year. Many two nighters that tour in certain cities. It physically drained them and you could see them cracking. There wasn't as much interaction between all four onstage as previous tours. Still though, I happened to get lucky and catch them on a great night.

Comment

• fe_lung
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2004

Creatively would be Fair Warning. They coasted some after that.
                  In terms of influence and place in the cultural zeitgeist - 1984. Everyone knew who they were in '84/'85 and we all wanted to be part of it.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2006

I imagine the most fun tour (for them and the audience) was maybe around Women and Children First. They knew they were ascending, they were making bank, and the relationships in the band were still good.

For the audience, they were still a LITTLE underground, big fish in the little pond of hard rock. You could still view them as "MY BAND", you know? (as opposed to when a band gets big, and they belong to everyone)
                    RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• chi-town324
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      I imagine the most fun tour (for them and the audience) was maybe around Women and Children First. They knew they were ascending, they were making bank, and the relationships in the band were still good.

For the audience, they were still a LITTLE underground, big fish in the little pond of hard rock. You could still view them as "MY BAND", you know? (as opposed to when a band gets big, and they belong to everyone)
                      exactly....when they hit it big with 1984..i was a little bummed...thought they kind of sold out so to speak..

Comment

• TOM_5150
                        Roadie
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE

What I would give to catch the 80 Invasion Tour!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                          exactly....when they hit it big with 1984..i was a little bummed...thought they kind of sold out so to speak..
                          My thoughts exactly (at the time). But I was happy to see my favourite band conquer the rock world .
                          Had Dave not left when he did ,I could picture them today with the same consistant popularity as ,say U2 has maintained.

It's been sad to watch from the sidelines as Ed & Ched turn THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN into a steamy pile of shit !
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

They were tallest in 1981...............

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                              All of a sudden people with pop 40 tastes who hadn't given the band the time of day previous were claiming to be fans.

Was probably those same fans that jumped onto the 1984 bandwagon who ended up comprising a hefty percentage of the Van Hagar fanbase.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...