PDA

View Full Version : Racer X/Mars Volta bassist (and my hero) diagnosed with rare blood disease

bueno bob
05-03-2007, 09:23 AM
RACER X bassist John Alderete (a.k.a. Juan Alderete) has issued the following message to his fans:

"To my friends,

"I have recently been diagnosed with a rare blood disease called Polycythemia Vera. It is classified as one of the Myeloproliferative disorders. Myeloproliferative disorders are an overproduction of platelets, white blood cells, or red blood cells in the bone marrow, which may result in serious complications that include enlargement of the spleen and liver, anemia, bleeding, stroke, heart attack or leukemia. The survival rate varies greatly, from 3-20 years depending on the type of disorder and which complications ensue. You can read more about them here.

"I am making this announcement public early because of the urgency of much needed donations! My disorder is considered an orphan disease meaning it affects fewer than 200,000 people. These disorders have been noticeably underserved with respect to research funding. Pharmecutical companies do not see much profit in 200,000 patients and the goverment tends to hand money to the bigger diseases plaguing our society.

"I have agreed to help the MPD Foundation by asking all my friends and fans to become aware of this problem. You can reach out to your friends, and they can reach out to their friends until we have an army of supporters! Together we can help find a cure. You can help me and others living with this disease by donating [here].

"As for me, I am doing fine right now. My doctor at the UCLA Medical Center has recommended I begin treatment immediately. I will be on a drug called Hydrea to get my blood counts to normal levels. I have been told that most patients do not experience any physical side-effects from this treatment, which means — I will continue to rock the universe for you!

"This is just the beginning of my attempts to raise money and awareness. I will keep you all posted on my endeavors and progress."

God bless, John. Your playing has been of MONUMENTAL influence to me and so many others for so many years. Good luck on BEATING this!!

Hardrock69
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
That sucks.

binnie
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Damn straight, sometimes life throws you some big curveballs....

ThrillsNSpills
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
This guy is a monster on bass.

best wishes John

PETE'S BROTHER
05-07-2007, 06:28 PM
i got to see them a couple years ago when they opened for system of a down, my brother loves volta and said we HAD to see them. incredible show.

The_KiD
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
That is just terrible. A guy I work with (My age) was diagnosed with cancer of the throat. (Never smoked but his mother did his entire childhood) Fortunately enough, he found it early enough and is now cancer free.

I hate when I hear about shit like this. Hopefully the treatments allow a good quality of life.. My best wishes..

KiD