X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Romney: Sharpton remark on faith was bigoted

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, who led the charge to have radio host Don Imus fired for making racially insensitive remarks, is now under fire for a comment about Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Mormon faith.

During a debate on religion and politics at the New York Public Library with atheist author Christopher Hitchens, Sharpton said, "As for the one Mormon running for office, those that really believe in God will defeat him anyway, so don't worry about that. That's a temporary situation."

On the campaign trail in Iowa Wednesday, Romney fired back, calling Sharpton's comment "terribly misguided." (Watch Sharpton's comment and the controversey that followed )

"It shows that bigotry still exists in some corners," Romney said. "I thought it was a most unfortunate comment to make."

Asked if he thought Sharpton is a bigot, the former Massachusetts governor said, "I don't know Rev. Sharpton. I doubt he is personally such a thing. But the comment was a comment which could be described as a bigoted comment.

"Perhaps he didn't mean it that way, but the way it came out was inappropriate and wrong."

Sharpton said his remarks were being taken out of context and that he was responding to an attack by Hitchens, who, he said, had charged that the Mormon Church supported segregation until the 1960s.

"In no way did I attack Mormons or the Mormon Church when I responded that other believers, not atheists, would vote against Mr. Romney for purely political reasons," Sharpton said in a written statement.

He also accused Romney's campaign of engaging in "a blatant effort to fabricate a controversy to help their lagging campaign."

Sharpton told The Associated Press that "[Mormons] don't believe in God the way I do, but, by definition, they believe in God."

Sharpton was licensed as a minister in the Church of God in Christ, a predominantly black Pentecostal denomination, at the age of 9, according to a biography on the Web site of his National Action Network. He became a Baptist in the 1980s.

His debate Monday with Hitchens -- who is on a tour promoting a new book that rejects God -- revolved around religion and politics. Minutes before Sharpton's controversial comment was made, the discussion turned toward the idea of a Mormon running for president, then moved to a conversation about the role of faith in politics.

Romney is a member of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, known informally as the Mormon Church. If elected, he would be the first Mormon to serve in the White House.

His religion has come up as an issue in the 2008 campaign because many conservative and evangelical Protestants, who make up an important constituency in the GOP base, do not consider Mormons to be Christians, because of their unique beliefs.

The LDS Church was founded in the 1830s by Joseph Smith -- revered by members as a prophet of God -- who taught that a new book of scripture, the Book of Mormon, had been revealed to him by an angel. Adherents eventually relocated to Utah in 1847, after Smith was killed by a mob in Illinois.

Some church leaders practiced plural marriage in the 19th century, but the church officially ended the practice in 1890 and has since excommunicated polygamists from its ranks.

The church has about 5 million adherents in the United States.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll last year found that 34 percent of Americans considered the LDS Church to be Christian, 35 percent did not and 31 percent were unsure. In a Gallup/USA Today poll in February, 72 percent of Americans said they would be comfortable voting for a Mormon for president, but 24 percent said they would not.

"I think it's sad, honestly," Republican strategist Ralph Reed said of the Sharpton controversy on CNN. "I don't think there's any place in politics for religious intolerance in any of its ugly forms.

"And I think if Gov. Romney took it that way, then whatever Al Sharpton meant, then I think the best thing to do and the most healing thing to do, so that we can have an uplifting dialogue about faith in the political and civic process, is for Rev. Sharpton to apologize."

Democratic strategist James Carville told CNN he believes Sharpton when he says he didn't mean to disparage the Mormon faith.

"The main point here is that Mormons have served this country honorably and with integrity for a long, long time, and ... it would be a very big mistake not to vote for someone based on their faith -- Mormon faith or any other faith," Carville said.

Romney said Wednesday that he hears little concern about his religion from voters on the campaign trail.

"Overwhelmingly, the people I talk to believe that we elect a person to lead the nation not based on what church they go to, but based on their values and their vision," he said. "I received very little comment of the nature coming from Rev. Sharpton."

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Sharpton was one of the ones bitching the loudest about Imus.

Now that Slick Al has shot his mouth off, will the same be done to him.

No.

There is a double standard at play here.

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Brian,

As most of us know, I've pretty much been a Republican all of my life. I've met Mit Romney and he's decent enough. Regardless, don't even get me going on The Mormon church as I've lived it most of my life. My father's side of the family are all Mormon and I attended Mormon services a lot of my life as a child.

With that being said, Sharpton (of whom I tend to disagree with many times) is completely on the money when it comes to Mormon history and their portrayal and treatment of blacks. If I were black, there's NO FUCKING WAY I could join such a cult. Blacks were not allowed any higher-up position (and it's still a small one called "Priesthood") until 1979.

I'm so educated when it comes to Mormonism that I could tell you FACTS that they believe or have done that are right up there with leprochauns, mermaids and unicorns.

Up until the civil rights movement, Mormons considered Blacks as the equivilent of the "devil" himself.

Again, I've personally met Mit Romney, think he's a nice guy and all but that cult called Mormonism does NOT belong in the Oval Office EVER!!!
      Last edited by MAX; 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM.
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Ellyllions
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are 2 of the biggest racists in our country. Bar none.

Al Sharpton has called whites "trailer trash" more than once over the course of his "fame", and refuses to apologize for it all the while demanding apologies from everyone who eat the green M & M's before the brown ones.

There IS a double standard, but just try to challenge it.

(no comment on the Mormon religion cause I know nothing about it)
        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• BITEYOASS
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

All I know about Mitt Romney is that my grandfather told me that his father George Romney was the best Governor Michigan ever had and that he knew how to run an automobile company. He also helped to keep the infamous 1967 Detroit Riot from spreading. Hopefully some of that greatness rubbed off on Mitt, I don't know.

Comment

• VanHalener
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Please God, let Al Sharpton die today. PLEASE!?

Thank you.
            ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
              Brian,

As most of us know, I've pretty much been a Republican all of my life. I've met Mit Romney and he's decent enough. Regardless, don't even get me going on The Mormon church as I've lived it most of my life. My father's side of the family are all Mormon and I attended Mormon services a lot of my life as a child.

Again, I've personally met Mit Romney, think he's a nice guy and all but that cult called Mormonism does NOT belong in the Oval Office EVER!!!
              Max, it doesn't matter what you or I think about the Mormon religion. It doesn't matter how correct you think Al Sharpton is.

It's about the double standard.

Sharpton was one of the ones yelling the loudest about Imus.

When he (Sharpton) insults other groups of people, he gets a pass.

It's typical in America these days.

Also, you don't think Mormonism belongs in the Oval Office? What about Catholics, or Jews, or even a Muslim? Points to ponder.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Veteran
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                Also, you don't think Mormonism belongs in the Oval Office? What about Catholics, or Jews, or even a Muslim? Points to ponder.

Brian -

So long as YOU'RE not, the world will continue to spin.
                RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As long as CNN continues to give air time to the racist, anti semite piece of shit Glenn Beck, they really shouldn't be commenting on anyone else's alleged "bigotry".
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Cult of Roth
                    Roadie
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
                    Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are 2 of the biggest racists in our country. Bar none.

Al Sharpton has called whites "trailer trash" more than once over the course of his "fame", and refuses to apologize for it all the while demanding apologies from everyone who eat the green M & M's before the brown ones.

There IS a double standard, but just try to challenge it.

(no comment on the Mormon religion cause I know nothing about it)
                    True enough. The most common response I've heard is, "they can't be racist, because they are a minority"

???

What the FUCK does that have to do with anything? If you show contempt for another person or group based solely on the fact that they are different than you, then YOU ARE A RACIST! It doesn't matter if you are in the minority or the majority.

The double standard in this country is sickening. Besides, like the song says, "Everyone is a Little Bit Racist"
                    Roth EUAS Militia

Comment

• Ellyllions
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2006

What I want to know is how Sharpton (refuse to call him "reverend") would react if the white people in this country started a group called, "American Organization for the Advancement of White People".

He'd blow his combed down Don King hairdo.

I'm tired of him and his crooney Jackson. THEY'RE the ones keeping the African-American's 'down'.
                      "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• thome
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Mar 2005

I like these no nuthin -load- mouths( misspelled on purpose) so much i really couldn't place what they actually were * how can i relate what they are to me* until the coming of thier Queen .

Thank You Paris for giving Sharpton and his kind the definition i needed.

Lets all give a fine FUK U ! finger sign and a hearty farewell to all the Paris Hiltons world wide, male and female and the trannies that need
                        special attention to justify their own stupid ideas of how it's gotta be.

Are there still only three sexes now ,if i left anyone out, FU too.

Once and for all .

Comment

• Lqskdiver
                          Sniper
                          • Jun 2004

Bottom line is, regardless of his faith, Romney is looking to be the best qualified GOP candidate on the ticket.

Now if only Fred Thompson would get off his ass from his cushy acting job on L&O, things could get interesting.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

So in essence, Sharpton speaks for Evangelical Republicans now?

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                              Veteran
                              • May 2004

What's so bigotted about his comments? The ****** is exactly right. Mormons are fucking psycopaths.

Sharpton is actually quite an intelligent guy and I agree with the majority of his views, but he's fucked in the head with his "evrything is anti-black" bullshit.

If he would shut the fuck up about racism, he would actually be quite a solid political candidate. But he's a fucking hypocrite...but then again, aren't they all?

Comment

Working...