PDA

View Full Version : NHL Hockey - I want to split into Canadian and American Conferences

Romeo Delight
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
The 6 Canadian hockey teams in the NHL produce 33% of the league's revenues.

The CBC has just signed a six year extension with the NHL paying the league $100 miliion per season for the rights to broadcast.

And how are we repaid? To cater to the American audience, game times are changed so that Saturday games happen in the afternoon????
intead of the traditional 8pm EST timeslot.

This is a Canadian tradition that is sacred.

NBC is not paying dime one for their TV rights. Bettman must go, or we will.

I propose the Canadian teams split from the NHL. We add teams to Hamilton, Winnipeg, the Maritimes, and Quebec City.

That gives us two 5 team divisions. I say most of the top players still come to Canada because we have the revenue to support the salaries.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
The 6 Canadian hockey teams in the NHL produce 33% of the league's revenues.

Not saying I don't believe you bro, but where are you coming up with that stat ??

I concur that the Canadian teams routinely sellout their arenas for their home dates, but I find it hard to believe that 6 teams generate 33% of the revenues for a 30 team league....

It's not like the other 24 teams play to crowds of 5,000....

By the way, I agree with you on the TV stuff, I know how traditional HNIC is....

Romeo Delight
05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
That stat is correct, I can assure you.

It's talked about here every day.

I will try and find something. Are they taking into account the 100 million/year for TV? Must be.

NATEDOG001976
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
The Wild has sold out everygame they have everplayed at home since 2000.

SA ME WHO
05-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Regardless of whether that stat is correct or night, the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast has been a staple of Canadian life long before I started watching hockey.

This is a move that should embarrass hockey officials (Bettman) enough to make an official apology and rescind whatever stupid agreement that caused this in the first place.

Hockey in the United States of America (by and large, not in the few "strong" hockey cities) is not gaining momentum. To try to gain fan favor/access, they're taking a tradition away from hockey's greatest fans? Thats BS, pure and simple!

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Let me put it to you this way...

Every media guy in Canada is quoting the 33% of total revenue coming from the six Canadian teams.

No way that goes undetected in this country if it is wrong, but anyways...

It makes no sense to break with decades of tradition for Hockey Night In freakin Canada!!!

Your only paying TV network loses revenue because no one here would dream that a game wouldn't be on at the regular time on a Saturday night...especially in the playoffs!!!

Bettman is basically saying..."The Canadians will be here no matter what" and is asking us to bend over.

Some factors affecting the revenue share that Canadian teams generate (why it is higher than you would think it might):

1) Ticket prices - Toronto is the highest, followed by the Rangers, overall prices are much higher in Canada. How much is is a ticket in Carolina, Tampa, Columbus, Florida? Through the roof in every Canadian city.

2) What is a sellout? If attendance is 10k, what is paying attendance? Probably closer to 7 or 6k. Giveaways, etc to make it look better than it really is. Compare that to the revenue from a sellout in Montreal, TO, Vancouver, Calgary, and even Edmonton and Ottawa where ticket prices are through the roof. Huge differences there.

3) Merchandise sales - outside of Pittsburgh, who is selling merchandise in the US? That's what I thought... Every Canadian city sells a ridiculous amnount of NHL gear.

4) TV Revenue - 100 million for Canada, basically zero for the US. I don't know how the regional dollars work. New York is obviously big, but TO just sold their rights to Rogers for some ridiculous figure.

Nickdfresh
05-12-2007, 08:24 AM
That stat is correct, I can assure you.

It's talked about here every day.

I will try and find something. Are they taking into account the 100 million/year for TV? Must be.

Then why to the Canadians keep changing hands?

Va Beach VH Fan
05-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Let me put it to you this way...

Every media guy in Canada is quoting the 33% of total revenue coming from the six Canadian teams.

No way that goes undetected in this country if it is wrong, but anyways...

It makes no sense to break with decades of tradition for Hockey Night In freakin Canada!!!

Your only paying TV network loses revenue because no one here would dream that a game wouldn't be on at the regular time on a Saturday night...especially in the playoffs!!!

Bettman is basically saying..."The Canadians will be here no matter what" and is asking us to bend over.

Some factors affecting the revenue share that Canadian teams generate (why it is higher than you would think it might):

1) Ticket prices - Toronto is the highest, followed by the Rangers, overall prices are much higher in Canada. How much is is a ticket in Carolina, Tampa, Columbus, Florida? Through the roof in every Canadian city.

2) What is a sellout? If attendance is 10k, what is paying attendance? Probably closer to 7 or 6k. Giveaways, etc to make it look better than it really is. Compare that to the revenue from a sellout in Montreal, TO, Vancouver, Calgary, and even Edmonton and Ottawa where ticket prices are through the roof. Huge differences there.

3) Merchandise sales - outside of Pittsburgh, who is selling merchandise in the US? That's what I thought... Every Canadian city sells a ridiculous amnount of NHL gear.

4) TV Revenue - 100 million for Canada, basically zero for the US. I don't know how the regional dollars work. New York is obviously big, but TO just sold their rights to Rogers for some ridiculous figure.

Aaaah, I understand now, because the Canadian media says it, it must be true !!!!

Just fukkin' wit ya bro.... ;)

I just want to answer some of your issues based on my hockey experiences in the lowly U.S, of A... ;)

Ticket Prices - I usually go to about 3 games a year, two in Carolina and one in Pittsburgh during the holidays, and sometimes up to D.C.. This year, all three games I went to cost me $85 clams a ticket for lower level seats.... Last year, for the Leafs/Pens game in Pittsburgh, I paid $130 each.... And while I agree that sellouts are rare in places like Phoenix, Florida, and New Jersey, it's quite the norm now in places like Detroit, New York, Buffalo, and yes, Pittsburgh....

"Sellouts" - Once again, you're overestimating the amount of ticket giveaways, you just love to do that.... ;) No way that it would account for 3 or 4 thousand tickets.... I would say that most US teams give some tickets away for youth groups, etc., but to make that broad pronouncement about 4,000 tickets a night is just not correct....

Merchandise - Actually, Buffalo sells more merchandise on a team scale than the Pens do.... Crosby's jersey is #1 indvidually though.... Moreover, the top five NHL teams in merchandise sales this year are all American teams;

1. Buffalo Sabres
2. Detroit Red Wings
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. New York Rangers
5. New Jersey Devils

TV Revenue - I have no idea about the Regional network deals with the NHL, to be honest.... I can tell you that Pittsburgh and Detroit have the highest NHL ratings in the US....

So I hear ya on the HNIC thing, I really enjoy watching it myself on the Center Ice feed......

But I sure would like to see some details on how they're coming up with those numbers.....

Matt White
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Sad state of affairs.......

Bettman must go......

He was on a local DETROIT sports talk show...saying DETROIT fans wouldn't want the WINGS to move to the EAST..."they wouldn't want to lose their Rivalries"........like NASHVILLE, COLUMBUS & ATLANTA.....

One of the host...TERRY FOSTER...called him out...

"Yeah...you're right...I'm SURE DETROIT fans wouldn't want to see the WINGS play THE CANADIANS, LEAFS, BRUINS & RANGERS....."

BETTMAN IS A FOOL...and has damaged the league to the point of being criminal..........

Va Beach VH Fan
05-12-2007, 11:12 AM
You mean the Wings don't like those 25 wins a year from the Hawks, Blues, and Blue Jackets ??

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

"Sellouts" - Once again, you're overestimating the amount of ticket giveaways, you just love to do that.... ;) No way that it would account for 3 or 4 thousand tickets.... I would say that most US teams give some tickets away for youth groups, etc., but to make that broad pronouncement about 4,000 tickets a night is just not correct....

On this point I am sure I am right.

I guarantee the bottom 5 teams give away 3-4k in seats.

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
You mean the Wings don't like those 25 wins a year from the Hawks, Blues, and Blue Jackets ??

Well, those old farts need an edge somehow;)

They need a schedule that, at the end of the year, everyone knows who is the best team.

Right now, the regular season is meaningless...

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Then why to the Canadians keep changing hands?

English Nickd?

What do you mean?

ALinChainz
05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
The bottom teams have to, though I'm not sure on the number either.

Quebec lost their team and wasn't it not long ago Ottawa was on the verge of bankruptcy?

Its Canada's sport, I get that. However, Detroit, an original six team that is rich in hockey history had a pretty good record versus the East and Canadian teams, both home and away, and more than pull their own in TV and live attendence (home and they help put them in the seats on the road), merchandise, all of it.

ALinChainz
05-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I do think divisions between the two countires would be interesting, but it may have an adverse effect in the playoffs.

Wouldn't that end the possibility of an all Canandian Cup final?

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I love about 10 US markets. Great stuff.

All I am saying is:

1) Don't screw with HNIC

2) Balanced schedule

3) Lose Bettman

If not, an all-Canadian league or conference is a very viable, albeit 2nd best choice, alternative.

Nickdfresh
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
English Nickd?

What do you mean?

I think you know what I mean.

If it's gangbusters up there money wise, then why are Canadian teams periodically in trouble and being bought and sold freely?

And seriously, where did you get this fantasy statistic?

Unchainme
05-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm..Always had an idea to make Hockey More Canada Oriented Rather than having teams in Miami, Tampa Bay and such.:rolleyes:..Heres what it would sorta look like

Canada Conference

East

Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadians
Hamilton (expansion.)
Halifax
Quebec Nordiques (Come back, like the Cleveland Browns.)

West

Calagary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets (Again, Come back like the Cleveland Browns.)
Saskatchewan (Expansion.)

America Conference

East
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers

West
Detroit Red Wings
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota North Stars (Minnesota Wild merge with Dallas to recreate The old team.)
Los Angeles Kings
St. Louis Blues

Romeo Delight
05-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Nick, Nick...it's called political posturing and greedy owners.

Ottawa was a situation where they got into a bad lease agreement and the owner did everything to rectify it.

I think a 60 cent Cdn dollar might have had something to do with some trouble in Edmonton.

But we won't have to worry about that again with the state of the US economy at least with the current war-mongering administration...but alas, that is a topic for another forum

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 01:03 AM
After watching this year's playoffs I have changed my mind about something.

Maybe they should make the goals bigger. Either that or make the goalie equipment smaller.

Goalies like Gigure from Anaheim don't look to make saves, but rather block everything with their massive equipment.

The goals were designed with othe equipment in mind...it is time for a change.

Full Bug
05-19-2007, 12:49 PM
After watching this year's playoffs I have changed my mind about something.

Maybe they should make the goals bigger. Either that or make the goalie equipment smaller.

The goals were designed with othe equipment in mind...it is time for a change.
I agree with that, even Don Cherry did a segment on that last week saying the goalie equipment is way too big....

what waz zat
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
If Detroit would be moved into the Eatern Conference, I would miss the games against the Blackhawks but would love to see more games against Rangers, Flyers, and Maple Leafs.

If I heard that is a team is to be moved to the East, it woudl be the Wings.

Mr. Vengeance
05-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm actually going to agree with this now, as those fucktards at NBC LEAVE the game as it goes into OT, in order to show horse racing.

That is not only absolutely unbelievable, it is unacceptable.

Thank god I live in Canada where we care about exciting sports and not watching an hour of pre-build to a 2 minute horse race.

That is truly bullshit.

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
i know this much...

As long as hockey is being played, we should be able to turn on our tv's at 8:00 EST on a Saturday night and not worry if there is a game or not.

We have earned it and, perhaps more importantly, pay for it...at $100 million per season.

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Not saying I don't believe you bro, but where are you coming up with that stat ??

What is so hard to believe that 6 of some of the best hockey markets in the NHL generate 1/3 of its revenue?

Not surprising at all... that's 20% of the league's best markets produce 33% of its revenue.

Actually makes total sense.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Whatever dude, relax....

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Whatever dude, relax....

Oh, I'm relaxed out here on the West Coast, trust me;)

The thought just occured to me as I was posting in this thread again...

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
And seriously, where did you get this fantasy statistic?

You don't think I'm going to let Nickd get away with this, VA?

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I'm actually going to agree with this now, as those fucktards at NBC LEAVE the game as it goes into OT, in order to show horse racing.

That is not only absolutely unbelievable, it is unacceptable.

Thank god I live in Canada where we care about exciting sports and not watching an hour of pre-build to a 2 minute horse race.

That is truly bullshit.

This is so funny...I just saw the replay as they told viewers they would be going to the 1 1/2 hour preamble for the Preakness.

I honestly don't care if there is one US fan. To not show overtime...unthinkable!!!!

ANd Bettman is catering to this network over the CBC, who is shelling out $100 million a year!!!:lol:

ALinChainz
05-19-2007, 10:36 PM
As sad is it is, its about ratings and network television.

The ratings for the Derby is going to much higher in the USA that hockey.

Not to me of course, but thats the deal.

And Bettman is going to kiss NBC's ass.

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 10:45 PM
So funny...I heard some analysis about the race...

Something about one horse wanting it more than the other horse...

Holy delusions. More like the one horse had more amphetimines blasted up one of its orifices or was avoiding the beating of his life.

Give up the dream of a US national TV deal. It's not worth this.

Full Bug
05-19-2007, 11:37 PM
i know this much...

As long as hockey is being played, we should be able to turn on our tv's at 8:00 EST on a Saturday night and not worry if there is a game or not.

I hear you, I forgot that todays Sens/Buffalo game was in the afternoon and missed it, pissed me right off....

Romeo Delight
05-19-2007, 11:45 PM
$100 million CBC...$0 NBC

WTF?

Mr. Vengeance
05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
As sad is it is, its about ratings and network television.

The ratings for the Derby is going to much higher in the USA that hockey.

Not to me of course, but thats the deal.

And Bettman is going to kiss NBC's ass.

And that's the problem. We have a commish who cares so much about a country that is mostly oblivious to how great a game this is. They'd rather watch fat guys bowl than the greatest sport there is.

There should never be another game moved to another time to satisfy NBC. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if NBC decided to not even air the games since the cup will feature a Canadian team, and lord knows, Americans won't watch that.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
The biggest mistake Bettman made after the lockout was he tried to play hardball with ESPN, and in the States, ESPN rules everything on sports....

So instead of agreeing to even a somewhat lightly loaded contract for NHL games on ESPN2, which is now topping 100 million viewers, he made a deal with Versus, which barely has 600,000 viewers.....

Vinnie Velvet
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Hmmm..Always had an idea to make Hockey More Canada Oriented Rather than having teams in Miami, Tampa Bay and such.:rolleyes:..Heres what it would sorta look like

Canada Conference

East

Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadians
Hamilton (expansion.)
Halifax
Quebec Nordiques (Come back, like the Cleveland Browns.)

West

Calagary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets (Again, Come back like the Cleveland Browns.)
Saskatchewan (Expansion.)

America Conference

East
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers

West
Detroit Red Wings
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota North Stars (Minnesota Wild merge with Dallas to recreate The old team.)
Los Angeles Kings
St. Louis Blues

I like that idea Unchainme.

Although teams in Halifax and Saskatchewan may be a tough sell.

And not sure about the North Stars coming back (although it would be nice).

Nice idea though -- Canadian and American conferences.

Romeo Delight
05-24-2007, 06:21 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (CP) - Canadian entrepreneur Jim Balsillie has entered into a letter of agreement to buy the NHL's Nashville Predators for US$220 million, owner Craig Leipold confirmed Thursday.

The goal is to seek approval from the league's board of governors and close the sale by June 30, Leipold said, adding he'd lost US$70 million during the team's nine seasons.

Balsillie is co-CEO of Waterloo, Ont.-based Research In Motion (TSX:RIM), the company that makes BlackBerry handheld devices.

"This is a dream he's wanted and he's stepped up," said Leipold.

"It's time to give someone else the chance to take the Nashville Predators to the next level," Leipold said during a news conference.

Leipold predicted that "we'll have hockey here for a long time" if attendance improves. Balsillie will make an effort to keep the team in Nashville, he suggested.

"I think he's going to give it a chance," said Leipold. "If (attendance) is over 14,000 paid, it's not going anywhere."

If paid attendance does not average at least 14,000 next season, the team could pay an exit fee of US$18 million to get out of its arena lease and leave Nashville.

"I have come to the conclusion I cannot make it work here," said Leipold, adding that perhaps Balsillie will bring new ideas that will turn things around.

Balsillie didn't immediately return a phone message.

In a statement, Balsillie said he is respectful of all the "due diligence" required before the deal can close.

"This is still Craig Leipold's franchise until the deal is completed, so for me to comment at this time on any number of topics relative to the franchise would not be appropriate," Balsillie said in the release.

He added that he planned to visit Nashville, talk with Predators fans and "become more familiar with the community" once the deal is final.

Balsillie tried last autumn to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins. He offered $175 million, but he dropped it when commissioner Gary Bettman attached a list of conditions to the sale.

Among those, it is believed, was the stipulation that he not move the club until after every possible avenue was exhausted.

That condition likely wouldn't apply to Nashville, given Leipold's many failed efforts at increasing the club's corporate support. While the NHL doesn't want teams moved, Nashville hasn't shown that it will support the Predators long term.

Speculation has long been that Balsillie would like to bring an NHL team to Waterloo. His biggest hurdle in relocation the Predators would be settling the territorial rights with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres, who would both take issue with another team in the region.

Under NHL by-laws, a team cannot move within 80 kilometres of another city's corporate limits. Kitchener-Waterloo is just about on the border of the Maple Leafs' territory.

Leipold said last January he was looking for one or more local investors to buy up to 40 per cent of the team in the hope that local owners could boost attendance. No local buyer or buyers stepped forward.<

If the Predators had advanced to the NHL's conference final or even the championship series, it "could potentially change the whole aspect of this team" and investors might have stepped forward, said Leipold.

"It didn't work out," he said. "That's just the way it is.

"We had injuries and, unfortunately, we got knocked out in the first round."

Leipold signed a multiyear naming-rights deal for the city's hockey arena with Franklin, Tenn.-based Sommet Group last week. The revenue from that agreement goes to the team.

It is Leipold's team until at least June 30.

"This is truly one of the toughest days of my life," said Leipold. "I poured my heart and soul into this franchise for 10 years."

He lives in Wisconsin.

"We have had the most incredibly wonderful time owning this team," he said. "My family, my kids, we just love doing this."

But he's tired of losing millions.

Romeo Delight
05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Coming to a Canadian city near you!

That's right...they saw my thread.

Kitchener/Waterloo Hosers. They are just far away from TO, Buffalo, etc to avoid any ridiculous territorial claims.

If NY can support 3 teams, certainly hockey insane Ontario can have 2 teams.

hmmm...just over the wire...Balsillie has bought a huge piece of property around Waterloo in the last few days.

Very nice.

All the owners will agree to this because the Preds cost every team money in the new CBA.

The dream of Bettman's NHL is coming down piece by piece, starting here

Va Beach VH Fan
05-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I was in both Waterloo and Kitchener in March for some training (3 guesses what I do for a living)....

That area isn't what I would call metropolitan....

But you guys are probably right, if they do end up moving, the remnants of the people who can't get in to the ACC will more than fill up a new arena there....

hmmm...just over the wire...Balsillie has bought a huge piece of property around Waterloo in the last few days.

Very nice.

I didn't see that bro, got a link ???

Romeo Delight
05-24-2007, 06:56 PM
The best thing here is that The Waterloo Predators will win a cup before the Leafs:killer: :bottle:

Romeo Delight
05-24-2007, 11:42 PM
So funny...I heard some analysis about the race...

Something about one horse wanting it more than the other horse...

Holy delusions. More like the one horse had more amphetimines blasted up one of its orifices or was avoiding the beating of his life.

Give up the dream of a US national TV deal. It's not worth this.

Well, NBC has promised not to break away from the Stanley Cup Final for Wrestling, re-runs of Superstars Competition, or any Feats of Strength tourneys.

How generous of them. Do we still have Saturday afternoon games:rolleyes:

Romeo Delight
05-25-2007, 12:51 AM

I didn't see that bro, got a link ???

I couldn't find it, but they were talking about it on the sportstalk radio here at length.

It will come out tomorrow I suppose. Right now there are 100 stories with the same 5 facts.:rolleyes:

Full Bug
05-27-2007, 09:18 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (CP) - Canadian entrepreneur Jim Balsillie has entered into a letter of agreement to buy the NHL's Nashville Predators for US$220 million, owner Craig Leipold confirmed Thursday.

Deliver us a real hockey team!

Memo to: Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

Dear Jim:

Please help us. We are in desperate need of a hockey team.

Okay ... another hockey team. You know. Like, a real one.

We are trapped here in Toronto watching the hated Ottawa Senators vie for the Stanley Cup, the greatest prize in professional sports, while our beloved boys in blue play ... golf. Again.

We’re desperate. Now that you’ve bought the Nashville Predators, please bring them to Toronto. Or anywhere within driving distance.

Kitchener-Waterloo? Hamilton? You choose, we’ll cheer.

When you pack the trucks to move, don’t get sucked in by Kansas City’s charm. There are no real hockey fans there.

C’mon, Jim. New York has two hockey teams. L.A. has two hockey teams. For !@@#$#@>! sake even !@@#$# Florida has two hockey teams.

What are we here, chopped liver? This is the Leaf Nation talking, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs, an Original Six team and the most storied franchise in NHL history. Okay, except for Montreal.

Mr. Balsillie, what can we do to help?

Would you like us to kidnap Gary Bettman and string him up by his tongue until he agrees to let you locate here instead of forcing the team to stay in Nashville? Just say the word.

Seeing as how you’re the CEO of Research in Motion, we could all buy BlackBerrys as a sign of good faith. Would that help?

Hey, here’s an idea. How about we burn Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment to the ground and consign everyone in it into the fiery pit of eternal damnation for failing, in the hottest hockey market in North America, to give us a team capable of making even the first round of the playoffs? Again.

Okay, maybe that was a bit extreme.

But please try to understand Mr. Balsillie. We’re desperate. We’ve been waiting 40 years for the Leafs to win a Stanley Cup, which, when you think about it, is as long as it took the Israelites to find the Promised Land. Unlike them, we’re still wandering in the desert and it doesn’t look like anyone’s going to part the sea any time soon.

Mr. Balsillie, we appeal to you as hockey fans. Well, not as hockey fans who ever actually get to see a game at the Air Canada Centre. Who can get a ticket, let alone afford one?

As you may have noticed, the corporate twits who hog all the best seats at the ACC arrive at the games fashionably late and leave stupidly early.

We’re not them. We’re the real fans — who only get to watch the Leafs on TV.

So we’re ready, willing and able to fill any arena you name.

Just don’t make us sign over our first born for season tickets.

Please, Mr. Balsillie. Send us a sign!

:D

Angel
05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Why do you think SK would be a tough sell? Regina has the best fans of any professional sport, IMO. NHL would receive HUGE support here!

Romeo Delight
05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Bettman in his state of the league address was talking of Winnipeg as if he was seriously considering it as a possibility.

It is a smokescreen to avoid too much talk of the impending move to Waterloo.

Bettman is cautious because he will anger TO and Buffalo owners, but it will happen.

I happen to know that Nashville players are looking at houses in the greater TO area as we speak.

Take it for what it is worth but it is a done deal.

Full Bug
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Congrats to The Ducks for winning the Cup, they deserved it....

Redballjets88
06-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I like that idea Unchainme.

i say keep the stars in dallas, people here still like hockey. you would be suprised but in the dallas area hockey is pretty big. last year my highschool won state. i went to like 4 games this year and they were all sold out. the dallas stars shuld definatly stay

Va Beach VH Fan
06-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Boy oh Boy, those Canadians teams keep on a'dominating, don't they ??? ;)

Those 6 teams may generate 33% of the revenue, but they've gotten 0% of the Stanley Cups for 14 straight years now...

Sorry boys, couldn't resist.... ;)

Romeo Delight
06-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Boy oh Boy, those Canadians teams keep on a'dominating, don't they ??? ;)

I expect better from you VA...14 of the Ducks are Canadian born players...maybe 5 Americans. Look at the Canadians...all all-stars.

Now that the dollar is nearing par look for a couple more Canadian franchises...I say that gives us a little better odds:p

Va Beach VH Fan
06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
LMFAO, so now we're breaking it down to the number of Canadian PLAYERS on the teams....

I agree with you though, I'd like to see a couple more Canadian franchises....

Romeo Delight
06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, yeah actually.

If you are going to run smack telling me that American teams are dominating...

14 of 24 = about 60% Canadian

So when you consider world championships and the like, we're doing ok:rolleyes:

Va Beach VH Fan
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
If you are going to run smack telling me that American teams are dominating...

Um, that's not smack bro, those are the facts.... ;)

Romeo Delight
06-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Um, that's not smack bro, those are the facts.... ;)

Again, a ridiculous argument.

The US has done squat on the international stage other than their miracle (fluke) on ice. Canada owns world hockey bragging rights.

And, Canadian players still dominate the NHL...the last Cup case in point.

You are sinking fast Va, abandon ship...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Who in the hell is talking about international competition ???

Stick to the topic !! ;)

Canadian PLAYERS may dominate the NHL, but the holier than thou Canadian TEAMS sure as hell don't....

Appears that you've already jumped ship before I could abandon it... ;)

Romeo Delight
06-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Prediction time...

After next season, the Vancouver Canucks will sign Unrestricted Free Agent Dany Heatly.

Top scorer the last two seasons...

Remember when it happens.

BITEYOASS
06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I do think divisions between the two countires would be interesting, but it may have an adverse effect in the playoffs.

Wouldn't that end the possibility of an all Canandian Cup final?

Especially since the Red Wings are sort of a multi-national team anyway. With a large percentage of fans from the Windsor, Sarnia and Sault Ste. Marie areas of Ontario.

BITEYOASS
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I got a new atate advertisement slogan, Michigan: It's almost Canada!

BITEYOASS
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Hell, we even have our own maple syrup!

http://www.michigangold.com/

BITEYOASS
06-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd say put a team in the Upper Peninsula, it'll be like the the Green Bay of the NHL.