PDA

View Full Version : Randy Rhodes and Dave

thefive
05-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to throw this idea out. In 1981 Randy teamed up with Ozzy. Steve Vai teamed up with Roth in 85. If Randy didnt hook up with Ozzy in 81 and this is just a what if. What if Randy Rhoades hooked up with Roth in 85. I know Rholdes died I am doing a "what if here".

What type of album do you think it would have been? Your thoughts.
And do you think the pair would do good together?

Coyote
05-02-2004, 03:40 PM
That's an intriguing idea there... I don't know, something stellar, I guess.

thefive
05-02-2004, 03:46 PM
People say that Rhodes was tapping too.

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Not sure Roth is a good combo with a classically influenced guy like Rhoads or Yngwie.

I think Roth is better with a high tech rock guitarist with a hint of blues like Van Halen, Vai, or George Lynch.

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Roth and Paul Gilbert might be a good combo. Both have a wild sense of humor.

Lou
05-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Eddie was classically influenced--he and Alex were classically trained pianists you know. I think that worked out fine.

I actually think Roth and Randy Rhoads would have been a fine combination.

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Classically trained does not equal classically influenced. When is the last time you hear Ed play a harmonic minor scale.

Snoo
05-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, Randy was stunt-flying on Ozzy's tour plane with a group that included Sharon's best friend...so obviously, if he hadn't joined up with Ozzy, he wouldn't have died at that point. But before he joined Ozzy, he was in Quiet Riot, and had Ozzy not taken him, he probably would've stayed with Quiet Riot. He admitted that he borrowed some of Eddie's techniques.

thefive
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I think they would have done good together. Randy I heard didn't take shit. If he didn't like something he would be stubborn. What I am saying is that Roth and Rhodes would be at each others throats. LOL

I heard this from a number of Ozzy fans that Rhodes was not a push over guy like Sammy.

Lou
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I don't know, I think someone who names their kid "Wolfgang" after W.A. Mozart is a classical music aficionado. "Eruption" is heavily J.S. Bach influenced--and that's a fact!

thefive
05-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I mean Spammy

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Lou you must listen to no classical music. Eruption doesn't sound anything like Bach. In fact Eruption is not classically influenced at all.

Coyote
05-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Lou you must listen to no classical music. Eruption doesn't sound anything like Bach. In fact Eruption is not classically influenced at all.

Oh yeah? What about the tapping part during last 30 seconds or so? Is that not "classically influenced"?

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Just because something is fast does not mean it is classically influenced. It has more to do with the types of scales you use.

Snoo
05-02-2004, 05:10 PM
You couldn't be a pushover and work with Ozzy, there never would've been music made. Ozzy tells a hilarious story about how the song Mr. Crowley was recorded: He and everybody in the studio but Randy were stoned off their asses and convinced that there were ghosts in the studio. Randy took hours convincing them there were no ghosts and jamming away on his guitar. When he finally convinced them, they made one of the best Ozzy songs ever. If he had been a pushover, he would've stood there rolling his eyes and waited about two weeks for Ozzy to come down.

Coyote
05-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Just because something is fast does not mean it is classically influenced. It has more to do with the types of scales you use.

Dude, I know, I have a decade of guitar playing under my belt. (Bedroom and gigs...)

Lou
05-02-2004, 05:54 PM

Let me clue you in:

YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON. I've played classical piano all my life. I'm not saying I'm great, but I have played it, I've played plenty of Bach, and the tapping in Eruption is straight out of Bach.

By the way if I listened to no classical music why would I say it's related to Bach then? Because on that premise I wouldn't know any composers or styles and I wouldn't just throw a name of a composer out there.

Seshmeister
05-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Moot point about Eruption Lou.

Eddie Van Halen would never have written a song like Mother Earth or Diary of a Madman and even if you count the tapping in Eruption as being pedal tone Bach stuff it's hardly indicative of the rest of his stuff.

Calling your kid Wolfgang just means you're a prick not that you're into classical music.

I don't think RR style would have suited Roths party music at all. He could have adjusted but I don't think he would have wanted to.

By all accounts RR was seriously considering giving up rock music and playing classical full time shortly before his death.

Cheers!

:gulp:

thefive
05-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Snoo
You couldn't be a pushover and work with Ozzy, there never would've been music made. Ozzy tells a hilarious story about how the song Mr. Crowley was recorded: He and everybody in the studio but Randy were stoned off their asses and convinced that there were ghosts in the studio. Randy took hours convincing them there were no ghosts and jamming away on his guitar. When he finally convinced them, they made one of the best Ozzy songs ever. If he had been a pushover, he would've stood there rolling his eyes and waited about two weeks for Ozzy to come down.

That was a hilarious story. Damn they should have video taped that.

thefive
05-02-2004, 06:23 PM
I stil think Roth and Rhodes would have been good together just thinking about the 2 musicians.

Lou
05-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Eddie Van Halen would never have written a song like Mother Earth or Diary of a Madman and even if you count the tapping in Eruption as being pedal tone Bach stuff it's hardly indicative of the rest of his stuff.

Calling your kid Wolfgang just means you're a prick not that you're into classical music.

I don't think RR style would have suited Roths party music at all. He could have adjusted but I don't think he would have wanted to.

By all accounts RR was seriously considering giving up rock music and playing classical full time shortly before his death.

Cheers!

Well I have to really disagree with you. I think if you listen to the way he did songs in concerts, the way he just added runs to songs like "Romeo Delight" and "On Fire" like it's nothing I think is very Mozartian, just the way he improvised like that. Stuff like the intro to "Women in Love," and "Hear About It Later," while I can't put my finger on a particular composer that sounds like, there's no way you can make music like that unless you know your classical theory.

dave_is_vh
05-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Cheers!

Couldn't agree more! You said it!