Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Go Chuck Go !!!

Hagel Hints at Independent Bid for White House in 2008

By CQ Staff, CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY
    Published: May 14, 2007

Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., continues to weigh a 2008 presidential campaign, and he is hinting that he might run as an independent — perhaps in tandem with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

In an interview Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Hagel, one of the GOP’s sharpest critics of the war in Iraq, said, “I am not happy with the Republican Party today. It has drifted from the party of Eisenhower, of Goldwater, of Reagan, the party that I joined.”

Hagel said he would decide by late summer whether to get into the presidential race. He voiced support for the notion of a third-party or independent option in 2008, saying, “I think it shakes the system up. The system needs to be shaken up.”

Hagel acknowledged he had dined earlier this month with Bloomberg, who he said “is the kind of individual who should seriously think about this. I think he is.”

Asked whether he could envision himself on a ticket with Bloomberg, Hagel replied: “It’s a great country to think about — a New York boy and a Nebraska boy to be teamed up leading this nation.”

After months of speculation that he would enter the GOP presidential primary field, Hagel called a news conference March 12 to announce he had nothing to announce. He said he had determined that the urgent issues facing the nation — and particularly, the Iraq war — required that he focus on his senatorial duties.

He said then, however, that he would continue to travel the nation to promote his views on issues, raise money for Republican candidates and prepare for a possible Senate re-election bid in 2008.

“In making this announcement, I believe there will still be political options open to me at a later date,” Hagel said then, adding that the “political currents in America are more unpredictable today than at any time in modern history.”

He used almost identical language in his “Face the Nation” interview Sunday, saying: “I think we’re living today at the most unpredictable political time in modern history.”

And this time he spoke more enthusiastically about a third-party approach.

“I think a credible third ticket, third party, would be good for the system,” he said, adding that both Republicans and Democrats “have been hijacked by the extremes of their two parties.”

© 2006 Congressional Quarterly
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Go Chuck Go !!!

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

“I think a credible third ticket, third party, would be good for the system,” he said, adding that both Republicans and Democrats “have been hijacked by the extremes of their two parties.”

Well, Chuck's half right. Both Republicans and Democrats have been hijacked by the extreme corporatist AIPAC right.

If there were any extreme leftists in Congress, there might actually be some balance.

This could be interesting though. Wonder how many votes Chuck and his ES&S machines can take away from the GOP?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Redballjets88
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

vote for kinky
      R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88
        vote for kinky
        Kinky couldn't get elected governor in a state where the governor doesn't do anything. What makes you think he could get elected President?
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• hideyoursheep
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2007

Re: Re: Go Chuck Go !!!

Originally posted by FORD
          Well, Chuck's half right. Both Republicans and Democrats have been hijacked by the extreme corporatist AIPAC right.
          And wasn't the Reform party hijacked by the other two parties?

Does running as an independent take away fundraising abilities?

Need FORD input....

Comment

• DLR'sCock
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

This is very true.

In an interview Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Hagel, one of the GOP’s sharpest critics of the war in Iraq, said, “I am not happy with the Republican Party today. It has drifted from the party of Eisenhower, of Goldwater, of Reagan, the party that I joined.”

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Go Chuck Go !!!

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
              And wasn't the Reform party hijacked by the other two parties?

Does running as an independent take away fundraising abilities?

Need FORD input....
              Perot's campaign was mostly self-financed from what I remember. But then, in 1992 it didn't take a quarter of a billion dollars to compete with the BCE either.

I don't remember exactly how much cash Ross had vs Bill or Poppy, but whatever he had, he must have used it effectively, as he was leading the three way race for a while, until he dropped out. And then dropped back in.

I wouldn't even begin to speculate on Hagel's fundraising abilities because I don't know much about the guy other than his opposition to the Iraq occupation, and his past ownership of the ES&S electro-fraud "voting" machine company. He's from Nebraska, so maybe he could get Warren Buffet to back him up? Not sure how well they get along.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Redballjets88
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Kinky couldn't get elected governor in a state where the governor doesn't do anything. What makes you think he could get elected President?
                i dont know, i voted for kinky

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

Comment

• Redballjets88
                  Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i dont know, i voted for kinky he's better than Dick Perry

Comment

• Redballjets88
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i dont know, i voted for kinky he's better than Dick Perry

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

A rock would be better than GoodHair Perry. He was Chimpy's hand picked replacement.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Redballjets88
                        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i might lean conservative on some issues but the fact that dick perry sold the rights to build some big ass highway (forget the name) to an italian company without considering an american contractor, which is illegal, pisses me off

Comment

Working...