SEIG HEIL! Gonzalez wants to imprison people for ATTEMPTED copyright infringement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

SEIG HEIL! Gonzalez wants to imprison people for ATTEMPTED copyright infringement

US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has proposed tightening the United States' intellectual property laws. Titled the "Intellectual Property Protection Act," the proposed legislation would for the first time criminalize attempted copyright infringement.

If the name sounds familiar, it's because it has been used before. Towards the end of 2004, eight different IP-related bills were combined into a legislative package that failed to emerge from Congress.

The IPPA would come down harder on those found to have violated the DMCA, subjecting them to new forfeiture and restitution provisions. "Any property used, or intended to be used, in any manner or part, to commit or facilitate the commission of the offense" of violating the DMCA could be confiscated, according to the text of the legislation.

Repeat offenders would be punished with stiffer penalties, and, for the first time, the copyright infringement convictions would not have to be identical to one another for the heavier penalties to take affect.

Gonzales' proposed legislation would also go after counterfeiters, and those found guilty of running counterfeiting operations that "pose health and safety dangers" could face up to 20 years in prison or even life imprisonment if the person convicted "knowingly or recklessly causes or attempts to cause death."

The FBI's wire-tapping powers would also be expanded to cover some copyright infringement investigations. Law enforcement officers investigating criminal copyright infringement and trafficking in counterfeit goods and services would be able to get warrants to tap voice and electronic communications.

Although they have yet to publicly comment on the IPPA, the recording and movie industries will be pleased with the Department of Justice's proposed legislation. They have supported both the INDUCE Act and the Pirate Act in the past, and the IPPA goes further than either of those two bills when it comes to expanding the scope of IP enforcement efforts.

In order to pass, the IPPA will have to find a sponsor in Congress, which shouldn't be too difficult. Once that happens, it may face the same uphill fight as other overly-broad IP legislation. We'll keep an eye on the IPPA should the legislation be formally introduced.

• BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I think they tried some sham like this before, it was called the war on drugs.

Comment

• Big Train
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I could not be more for it. Of course, I'm in the intellectual property business. A bill will some teeth and enforcement would be nice.

Something to ponder though. This bill is coming down from the software giants. The same guys who bring you the "DRM Free" arguments for MP3', yet keep their own stuff proprietary as possible. You don't see Microsoft or Apple lining up to show you their source code.

Software theft is a bigger business than music and movie pirating ever will be and now they are stepping in to put some teeth in it.

I say great.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Hey, you are guilty of thinking about committing some crime.

I am going to report you to the FBI.

Though if they were to arrest everyone who ever attempted to download a song, half the country would be in prison.

It is unfeasible.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

And every single RothArmy member would be in prison for attempting to download those unreleased VH songs.

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

well, if we all look in the mirror, it IS infringement. You are stealing someone's work and livelihood, it's not some imagined thing that if you just download this lil movie or software or music, it won't hurt anyone. It does, I've seen to much.

It is not feasible, you are correct. The idea is to go after the big fish as much as possible which scares a certain % of the little fish from doing it.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Veteran
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hardrock69
              Though if they were to arrest everyone who ever attempted to download a song, half the country would be in prison.

It is unfeasible.
              Under this logic, why even have speed limits? Why have laws regarding trash disposal and recycling? Why have tax laws. After all, everyone speeds. Everyone has, at one time of other, either littered or put their plastics with their papers, etc. And no one declares absolutely every penny they make (won some cash at a poker game? Do some freelance tutoring on the side?).

What's the thing the courts are weighed down with the most? Drug offenses. Now, we SHOULD abolish those laws, but as they exist, they shouldn't be ignored.

I agree with BT on this...to an extent. For private home use, yeah, it should absolutely be AOK. If someone is pirating music, movies, etc for commercial purposes, then they've dug their own grave as far as I'm concerned.
              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Let the corporate cops try to arrest me for my bootleg copy of Vista. Which, BTW I never bothered installing, because it BLOWS.

I'll greet the motherfuckers with a bullet to the head.

At least then there will be the question of an ACTUAL crime for a jury to argue about.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2006

So, FORD, you have a right to bootleg a copy of anyting you like? Does that give, say, Rolling Stone magazine to publish an article of yours without your comsent, permission, or compensation? What if Random House decides, Hey let's do an anthology of so and so's work...nah, no need for a contract or pay, if he comes here or contacts us about this, hell, we'll put a bullet through hsi brain, problem solved?

Come on. You've goota be kidding.
                  RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

I don't understand the outrage here. Hardrock, you seem to be arguing that it isn't a crime to attempt a crime, which is simply wrong. Attempted kidnapping. Attempted murder. The list goes on. The penalties aren't as stiff, but in many cases it's still a crime to attempt a crime.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      I don't understand the outrage here. Hardrock, you seem to be arguing that it isn't a crime to attempt a crime, which is simply wrong. Attempted kidnapping. Attempted murder. The list goes on. The penalties aren't as stiff, but in many cases it's still a crime to attempt a crime.
                      Any time you're ready to attempt to stop feeling the need to attempt to use the word "attempt" 5 billion times in a single post, feel free to give that an attempt.
                      RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                        So, FORD, you have a right to bootleg a copy of anyting you like? Does that give, say, Rolling Stone magazine to publish an article of yours without your comsent, permission, or compensation? What if Random House decides, Hey let's do an anthology of so and so's work...nah, no need for a contract or pay, if he comes here or contacts us about this, hell, we'll put a bullet through hsi brain, problem solved?

Come on. You've goota be kidding.
                        Rolling Stone would be selling that article in their magazine, as would Random House. I'm not selling anything. To the contrary, by participating in torrent trading music sites, I'm helping to take the profits OUT of bootlegging music. And it's music that's not for sale commercially in the first place, so the RIAA should have nothing to say about it. But they claim "ownership" of it anyway.

Here's an even more ridiculous example. A friend of mine owns a bar. He owns all the coin operated machines in the bar, including the jukebox. He owns every CD in that jukebox. Yet the RIAA nazis and the music publishing nazis demand that he pay a percentage of the money made on that jukebox.

Why should he pay again and again for CD's that he already OWNS??

And make no mistake, they would do the same to your personal music collection, if they could figure out how to do it. Rip it to your hard drive? You pay. Rip it again to an I-pod? Pay up. Make a DLR mix CD to play in your car rather than carry all the albums with you? It will cost you. These "intellectual property" nazis are claiming the "right" to do all of the above.

Well FUCK that. Once a CD or a DVD is paid for, it is not the property of the record label, the RIAA fascists or anyone else, except the person who paid for it.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FORD
                          Once a CD or a DVD is paid for, it is not the property of the record label, the RIAA fascists or anyone else, except the person who paid for it.
                          Which is what i said I agreed with in my earlier post: private use should not be subjected to these laws. But public, commercial use (such as your friends bar: the music is being used to create a feel or vibe, to establish what this bar is about and offers, just like as a movie employs a soundtrack). (No different really then Van Hagar having to pay dave royalties for playing and performing songs that he had a hand in writing on the last tour)
                          RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            But in the case of attempted kidnapping or murder, the intent is usually obvious, and in both cases, an assault is likely committed, so that makes it a criminal matter anyway.

Attempted theft, if that's what you want to call this, is a little harder to prove. To use a non-cyber analogy, let's say you went to Best Buy and grabbed a CD out of the rack. You then hide that CD under your jacket, but just before you walk out of the store, you change your mind and ditch the CD.

Have you attempted theft? And if so, how do you prove it?
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• knuckleboner
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              And it's music that's not for sale commercially in the first place, so the RIAA should have nothing to say about it. But they claim "ownership" of it anyway.

but here's the thing, you're arguing against existing copyright law.

whether you think it's good law or not, the current structure is that when i create something, i own it.

when i create and record a song, i own that song. (or, i might allow by contract, for my music company to own the song.)

whether i (or whatever person i assign the rights to that song) sell that song to chevy for a commercial, whether i sell the song on a CD, whether i decide to give it away for free by posting it on the internet, or whether i decide to leave it rotting in my vault in 5150, it's still MY creation and MY property. I decide what to do (or not do) with it.

Comment

Working...