PDA

View Full Version : Cream to play LIVE EARTH??

FORD
05-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Cream members considering new project

As Cream singer-bassist Jack Bruce celebrated his 64th birthday on Monday, May 14th, he decided to give his fans a present -- it looks like the band will reunite again this year. Bruce, singer-guitarist Eric Clapton, and drummer Ginger Baker reconvened in 2005 for shows in London and New York City, but the old issues -- especially between Bruce and Baker -- flared up, and there was serious doubt they would ever work together again. But during an interview yesterday with morning hosts JJ & Lynne at WCSX-FM in Detroit, Bruce said the trio is looking at a different kind of collaboration: "There is some talk about us getting together again later this year, which I can't really say too much about. It's not a commercial thing, but we may get together for something."

Whatever the project is, it might have come together in the last few days. In an interview published in the Scotland On Sunday newspaper this weekend, Bruce said, "I don't think we'll do another reunion because none of us want to do it. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but at the moment, none of us are in love with the idea."

Cream broke up in November 1968, and before the 2005 dates, their only reunion was at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1993.

Maybe President Gore called Clapton and talked him into it??

Hardrock69
05-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey we are fortunate they did the gigs in 2005 as it is.

Anything else is icing on the cake!
:D

Terry
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Suppose it would be more shocking had a reunion not already happened so recently.

FORD
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Cream Bassist Says Reunion in the Works
By ALAN ROBINSON, Associated Press Writer

Thu May 24, 3:29 PM

LONDON - Jack Bruce says Cream is once again rising to the top. The bassist for the legendary rock group told The Associated Press on Thursday that he agreed recently to play an unspecified show or shows later this year with guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker.

Bruce would not say when the reunion would occur, but that it would not be the seven-continent Live Earth shows on July 7: "It's a bit later than that."

Bruce recently told the Scotsman newspaper there was no chance the band would reunite because of long-standing tension between him and Baker.

"Then, the next day, it came up we're doing something if I wanted to. Obviously, I'm not going to be the one to say no," Bruce told the AP during an appearance at the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp.

Representatives for Clapton and Baker have not confirmed the reunion.

Infighting and ego clashes between Baker and Bruce go back decades, with Baker once firing his drum sticks at Bruce during a show and Bruce upending Baker's drum kit.

Clapton persuaded Bruce and Baker to reunite in 2005 after a 37-year split. But the ill will resurfaced, with Baker accusing Bruce of turning up his bass to deafening levels during a Madison Square Garden show, and Clapton appeared uncomfortable on stage.

However, Bruce played those 2005 shows about a year after receiving a liver transplant that kept him alive. He hopes another Cream reunion would be less physically and mentally stressful.

"I hadn't recovered properly yet, so I found it quite difficult," Bruce said. "Now I'm completely recovered so I would enjoy it more."

Bruce made an infrequent performance Thursday, playing Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" and "White Room" with former Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick, Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke and Queen keyboardist Spike Edney before about 75 spectators at the Fantasy Camp. Bruce also played Cream songs with the camp's amateur bands, composed of about 50 rock fans who paid upward of $15,000 each for the privilege.

binnie
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Anyone lucky enough to see them on the reunion gigs?

I heard Clapton was disappointing, is that true?

FORD
05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Anyone lucky enough to see them on the reunion gigs?

I heard Clapton was disappointing, is that true?

From what I've seen from the DVD, they were all disappointing - if you compared them by 1967 standards.

But for three guys in their 60's, two of whom are half dead, they weren't bad at all.

If Bruce is in better shape, it could only improve their performance. Haven't heard anything about Ginger's health recently.

Hardrock69
05-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I would say they were good, and Clapton actually burned on a few songs.

Matt White
05-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by FORD
From what I've seen from the DVD, they were all disappointing - if you compared them by 1967 standards.

But for three guys in their 60's, two of whom are half dead, they weren't bad at all.

Exactly, exactly

ANY old band...is going to seem weak compared to what they were in their youth.......

Seeing PAGE & PLANT wasn't like seeing ZEPPELIN...but...it's as close as it gets....