PDA

View Full Version : Rock Honors!

Douglas T.
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Fun stuff!
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lgz4E1Gvmf0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lgz4E1Gvmf0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Douglas T.
05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mguGMIFCHX8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mguGMIFCHX8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Gretchen Wilson NAILED this so good, she could be Ann & Nancy's little sister. And the remaining members of AIC didn't do so bad either.....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RjA_Z6Lniw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RjA_Z6Lniw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Ozzy sounds good on the new song - when he speaks the lyrics rather than singing it still sounds passable - and the band sounds great!!

However, on Bark you can hear Ozzy struggling because he has to sing (althoughI 've heard him sound a lot worse) - Zakk wishes he could play half as well as Jake E Lee though, sounds way too messy and busy in the first minute of the song.

Seeing Ozzy on June 19th and can't fuckin' wait - like DT said a lot of fun!

binnie
05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Gretchen Wilson NAILED this so good, she could be Ann & Nancy's little sister. And the remaining members of AIC didn't do so bad either.....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RjA_Z6Lniw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RjA_Z6Lniw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That sounded like a motherfucker!!!

Awesome!

FORD
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
What I thought was interesting about the Heart segment....both in that tribute and what the Wilson sisters performed themselves is that it was all old school Heart. Nothing from their 1980's corporate rock Van Hagar-ish version of the band.

Thank the Good Lord Jesus for that!!

lesfunk
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Ozzy sounded piped in. Heart Crushed it. Ann Wilson is the shit!

lesfunk
05-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I noticed all theese squealing pinch harmics coming from Zakk's guitar while he played an open G chord during Crazy Train. Piped in Music.

The_KiD
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I agee on Heart. I really enjoyed Gretchen fronting Alice in Chains for the Heart Tribute... Man she was belting it out.

How did ZZ Top sound to everyone.. They sound off to me..

KiD

FORD
05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by The_KiD
I agee on Heart. I really enjoyed Gretchen fronting Alice in Chains for the Heart Tribute... Man she was belting it out.

How did ZZ Top sound to everyone.. They sound off to me..

KiD

Billy was horrible. I don't know if his health is bad or what, but he couldn't sing for shit, and he wasn't playing that great either :(

The_KiD
05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Billy was horrible. I don't know if his health is bad or what, but he couldn't sing for shit, and he wasn't playing that great either :(

Yea, I was pretty disappointed..

KiD

Vinnie Velvet
05-25-2007, 02:52 PM

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That was awesome!

Gretchen nailed it -- and looking hot was not a bad addition either.

Nice to see Nancy up there tearing it up -- she's still hot too!

Douglas T.
05-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That was awesome!

Gretchen nailed it --

Yes ... with her microphone turned up to about 12!

David Lee Rocks
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
What I thought was interesting about the Heart segment....both in that tribute and what the Wilson sisters performed themselves is that it was all old school Heart. Nothing from their 1980's corporate rock Van Hagar-ish version of the band.

Thank the Good Lord Jesus for that!! you know, the last 2 times I saw Heart, that was the way It was, mostly 70s stuff, It was Great!! Im goin to see em next week In Dallas, cant wait!!

The_KiD
05-26-2007, 07:53 AM
What a better show (Performances and Entertaiment) than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.... They should takes notes from VH-1.. I watched it again last night and enjoyed it..

KiD

The_KiD
05-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That was awesome!

Gretchen nailed it -- and looking hot was not a bad addition either.

Nice to see Nancy up there tearing it up -- she's still hot too!

Yea, something about an attractive woman playing a Les Paul very well I might add that does it for me..

I loved this performance... I preferred Gretchen vocals overall out of the three songs..

KiD

Va Beach VH Fan
05-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by The_KiD
Yea, something about an attractive woman playing a Les Paul very well I might add that does it for me..

I loved this performance... I preferred Gretchen vocals overall out of the three songs..

KiD

Still hot at 53 years old.....

Niiiice....

mako_kimura
05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
As much as I don't like Nickelback, their performance of Sharp Dressed Man was actually pretty killer. I loved the guitar tones on that one

Roy Munson
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Nickleback was good. I hate those guys, but at the same time don't mind them. They are an enigma.

Gretchen Wilson kicked ass with Alice. Maybe they should work together on something else? Could you imagine? I love Gretchen. She's got a KILLER voice.

But, Ann Wilson is still the greatest female rock singer of all-time IMO. She doesn't sound any different than she did in the early days. Her voice is that of a goddess.

ZZ Top sounded horrible. Not sure what was going on there. I saw them a couple of years back and they were great. Sounded like shit on this show.

I was pumped that Genesis chose to play "Turn It On Again" as it is my favorite Genesis song. However, I think they transposed it down a couple of keys so Phil could sing it. It sounded "off." Still a great band.

Queens did a hell of a job with the Sabbath tune. I love that band. Josh Homme is one of my fave rock songwriters in recent memory.

Ozzy appeared to be lip-syncing. Very disappointing. His band is fucking INCREDIBLE. Blasko is such a cool bass player. Of course. Mike Bordin is one of the drumming greats. And Zakk is a monster. I loved his tone.

It was also depressing to see so much of Sharon in the Ozzy interview. THEY WERE HONORING OZZY, NOT YOU YOU FUCKING FILTHY BITCH!!!!!!!!

Terry
05-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Yeah, Nickleback was good. I hate those guys, but at the same time don't mind them. They are an enigma.

Gretchen Wilson kicked ass with Alice. Maybe they should work together on something else? Could you imagine? I love Gretchen. She's got a KILLER voice.

But, Ann Wilson is still the greatest female rock singer of all-time IMO. She doesn't sound any different than she did in the early days. Her voice is that of a goddess.

ZZ Top sounded horrible. Not sure what was going on there. I saw them a couple of years back and they were great. Sounded like shit on this show.

I was pumped that Genesis chose to play "Turn It On Again" as it is my favorite Genesis song. However, I think they transposed it down a couple of keys so Phil could sing it. It sounded "off." Still a great band.

Queens did a hell of a job with the Sabbath tune. I love that band. Josh Homme is one of my fave rock songwriters in recent memory.

Ozzy appeared to be lip-syncing. Very disappointing. His band is fucking INCREDIBLE. Blasko is such a cool bass player. Of course. Mike Bordin is one of the drumming greats. And Zakk is a monster. I loved his tone.

It was also depressing to see so much of Sharon in the Ozzy interview. THEY WERE HONORING OZZY, NOT YOU YOU FUCKING FILTHY BITCH!!!!!!!!

Ozzy and Genesis were both tuned down at least a half-step, if not a whole step, from the original recordings. Genesis performed well, but the stuff did sound a bit off in the wrong key.

Ozzy actually sang well, but some of that shit sounded like it was in D flat - if you can't play the tunes the way they were meant to be played, um...don't fucking sing them.

Pussy vocalists who need shit tuned down from the original recordings so they don't have to make an effort. Fuck's sake, most of that Sabbath shit was in D, and now bands covering their tunes are tuning down to C - what the fuck is that shit all about?

Va Beach VH Fan
05-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
I noticed all theese squealing pinch harmics coming from Zakk's guitar while he played an open G chord during Crazy Train.

He does do an awful lot of squealing, doesn't he....

Zakk is to squealing as Brad Gillis is to whammying.....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
I noticed all theese squealing pinch harmics coming from Zakk's guitar while he played an open G chord during Crazy Train. Piped in Music.

Yeah, I can almost predict when he's about to pinch again....

Fucking annoying.

mako_kimura
05-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I did notice that Zakk's hand would be away from his guitar, and suddenly a pinch harmonic would just come out of nowhere. It's more noticable if you go on vh1.com and watch Ozzy do Bark At The Moon

LOS35
05-26-2007, 03:57 PM
If VH had their ish together they could have been there being honored!!
Especialy after that RRHOF debacle!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
I did notice that Zakk's hand would be away from his guitar, and suddenly a pinch harmonic would just come out of nowhere. It's more noticable if you go on vh1.com and watch Ozzy do Bark At The Moon

He's THAT good!

:D

Va Beach VH Fan
05-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Yeah, that's pretty obvious, pretty bush league if you ask me....

Probably why they didn't televise it, although I'd have rather seen Bark at the Moon rather than their lame opening song....

The lyrics sounded like fucking Hagar wrote them.....

mako_kimura
05-26-2007, 10:45 PM
So I take it you don't like the new song?

Va Beach VH Fan
05-27-2007, 10:36 AM
So I take it you don't like the new song?

LOL, what was your first clue....

Nah, I thought it sounded pretty lame, to be honest....

FORD
05-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson

I wasn't surprised to hear "Turn It On". Seemed a logical choice, and it will probably be the opener on their tour. "No Son of Mine" was a surprise though. Of all the songs they could have played, why drag out that depressing downer of a song? Did Collins' dad die recently or something?? :confused:

"Illegal Alien" might have been a better choice, given the current political climate.......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7q1H3VKdp0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7q1H3VKdp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

thome
05-27-2007, 06:11 PM
It would be nice, just once to see Ozzy speaking without Sharon
trying to steal the show.

"Yeah, so your the business end, big DEAL!!!" get off the stage.

He loves her but it is starting to look like he can't be interviewed
without his mommy busting in to finish his sentences .

Everyone rocked. i totally dug the show it really is the best thing we
have rite now for viewing live rock on tv. Reminds me of The Midnight Special.How else are we going to see People who rock and roll...

Videos .........ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTTTT!!! ..... PLEASE

I revel in this show even if ZZ was -off tonight-, we, I ,have no other
venue on the television to see rock and roll live.

-0-

Cult of Roth
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I thought it was a pretty good show overall. I can't really spot all the little details some people are able to see, so it didn't detract anything for me.

Ozzy's new song sounded much better here than on the album version. Still don't really care for it though. Other than Ozzy wobbling around like an old man on stage, the band put on a great show (the wobbling thing was still acceptable too, since Ozzy is an old man now :D)

Definitely puts the RnR HOF show to shame.

svrwthr
05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Nickleback did an awesome job better than the old men but hey, old age. ZZ Top was off a first and gained it back some. twas almost like stage jitters.

I think Genisis sounded the worse same with Keane tributing them, and Robin Williams started the shit with his lame jokes.

Gretchen and AiC to Heart themselves were totally kick ass.

Queens of the Stone Age were tearing my ears apart but did decent tribute. The Oz I truely believe he was lipping new song if you watch it carefully. Hell it was almost like the whole band was piped for that one. Blame it on Sharon. Speaking of which, why the fuck did she get a ring? She isn't the fucking band!.

The Stage, OMFG! I wish I were there. Totally awesome stage show. That alone would have been worth it.

Roy Munson
05-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I wasn't surprised to hear "Turn It On". Seemed a logical choice, and it will probably be the opener on their tour. "No Son of Mine" was a surprise though. Of all the songs they could have played, why drag out that depressing downer of a song? Did Collins' dad die recently or something?? :confused:

"Illegal Alien" might have been a better choice, given the current political climate.......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7q1H3VKdp0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p7q1H3VKdp0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Yeah, "No Son Of Mine" was a real downer. I was hoping for Abacab.

Douglas T.
05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
BuuUmp!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ss5sw678Dk0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ss5sw678Dk0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ellyllions
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Alice with Gretchen kicked ass. But then again I love Alice.

Watching Ozzy speak during the interview, it can't be possible for him sing on stage let alone sing multiple songs. You can barely understand him and he can't keep a train of thought for shit.

Douglas T.
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
People with speach problems often sing better than they speak! mainly because they don't have to think what they are going to say! that is where the trouble begins.

PlexiBrown
05-31-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't handle Zakk Wylde's playing. Massive overkill with the pinched harmonics/vibrato.

Douglas T.
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Zakk will be Zakk! Like asking eddie to stop tappin'!

Ellyllions
05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
It's not a speech problem Ozzy's having. Mel Tillis he's not.

He's having a brain problem.
I hate it for him.

Douglas T.
05-31-2007, 03:43 PM
His brain is causing a speech problem because it's burnt up!

PlexiBrown
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Zakk will be Zakk! Like asking eddie to stop tappin'!

Not exactly the same thing although Eddie got to the point where he was overdoing it with the tapping. That pinched vibrato harmonic thing that Zakk constantly does is worse because it is the same sound over and over.

Douglas T.
05-31-2007, 07:03 PM
True! I just imagine it's a habit he won't soon get over!