PDA

View Full Version : Poison - Native Tongue

WARF
05-27-2007, 06:53 PM
I've been a lukewarm fan of this band since the 80's. I never really cared for them too much, but I think they were alot better than most of the other hair bands from this era... anyways... I saw the poison thread posted earlier and decided to start a thread about them.

Native Tongue is by far their best album to date. Is it me, or is Ritchie Kotzen not a kickass guitarist? C.C. Deville is completely inferior to him. I thought Ritchie added alot depth to a one dimensional band. Kotzen's bluesy sound compliments Brett Michaels voice and his style of singin'. IMO, this album was another victim of the grunge era taking over in the early 90's. "The Scream" "Bastard Son of a thousand blues" and "blind faith" are some of my faves to mention... Am I the only person who bought this album?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Am I the only person who bought this album?

At least the only one on this website...

Gringo
05-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I totally dig this album! I only have this one of all the Poison albums, and i probably won't buy any of the other ones either. Richie Kotzen made Poison actually sound good on this album. His singing as well makes Brett Michaels sound like a amateur in comparison...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Gringo
His singing as well makes Brett Michaels sound like a amateur in comparison...

It sure was never a formidable task in the first place.

DrMaddVibe
05-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I won a contest to see a Pauly Shore movie on WRIF...The limo pulls up and CC is in the back trashed out of his skull drunk...talking shit the whole time. We pull up to the theater and get out, he face plants and stays there for about 2 minutes. I thought he was out cold.

Never really cared for Poison, and after seeing that assclown in person there's no way i would. I put them right up there with Winger and Bon Jovi. Utter shit bands that got airplay they didn't deserve.

Tiki-Tom
05-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I think the surgeon forgot which end he was working on.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiSCRFpGGEsBCEGjzbkF/SIG=1292ta69f/EXP=1180407298/**http%3A//server6.uploadit.org/files/anahamkarah-wig.jpg

Diamondjimi
05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiSCRFpGGEsBCEGjzbkF/SIG=1292ta69f/EXP=1180407298/**http%3A//server6.uploadit.org/files/anahamkarah-wig.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diamondjimi
05-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Never really cared for Poison, and after seeing that assclown in person there's no way i would. I put them right up there with Winger and Bon Jovi. Utter shit bands that got airplay they didn't deserve.

Exactly !

UTTER SHITE !

Cato
05-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Am I the only person who bought this album?
I bought it too. it's grate. I like all songs on it.
the sad thing is that it's Poison's album.

SA ME WHO
05-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Grate call WARF!!!!

I know I'm in the minority, what with owning just about everything in the Poison catalog, but, I agree wholeheartedly. Native Tongue is so far ahead of anything Poison ever did, it's ridiculous! (The only Poison boots worth owning are from the Native Tongue tour and the 7 Days Live DVD with Poison playing at the Hammersmith Apollo in London is awesome.)

I'll even go one step further in that saying Poison's best work are both non-CC discs. My second favorite album is Crack A Smile and More. Blues Saraceno brought more to the band than CC ever has.

Again, don't get me wrong. I like a lot of their material, CC or not. But, their best is the stuff without CC.

binnie
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I'd have to disagree.

Poison was a party band: good time, fun and lighthearted music.

They tried to take themselves too seriously on "Native Tongue", and when you've written a song called "Un-Skinny bop", you just can't expect credibility.

However, "Stand" was a very, very strong track.

SA ME WHO
05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I'd have to disagree.

Poison was a party band: good time, fun and lighthearted music.

They tried to take themselves too seriously on "Native Tongue", and when you've written a song called "Un-Skinny bop", you just can't expect credibility.

However, "Stand" was a very, very strong track.

I agree about their party band persona. Hence, the reason I like music from their entire catalogue. And those party days (and even the ones now at their shows) are great memories.

However, I think musically, Native Tongue was far superior. They may have lost the "essence" of what they, as a band, were about previously, but that departure marks a signature sound that I, for one, would have been interested in seeing continue. (Damn grunge........... and Ritchie buggering Rikki's ex!)

And, Stand is the only track on the album I can't stand. (I can't explain it either. Everyone I've ever told that to is like "WTF?")

Little Lamont
05-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Real good record. The Seven Days Live DVD came from that tour.

Mr Badguy
05-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Nah, "Look what the cat dragged in" was always their best.

At least on that they knew their limitations.

I can take Henry Rollins getting all serious but not Bret Michaels.

Mr. Vengeance
05-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I liked Poison on album. Hated them live. This release never did much for me at all. It was the classic case of a band that had average talent, and were known for fun tunes, trying to "grow" and get rid of the party image. The result was a dull album.

Tiki-Tom
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I hate to say that "Look What the Cat Dragged In" had a couple o' catchy tunes on there. Very simple, but undeniably catchy. They went as far as they could on that record, and that wasn't very far. We should just title their output afterward "Look What the Cat Shit Out"......

binnie
05-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Nah, "Look what the cat dragged in" was always their best.

At least on that they knew their limitations.

I can take Henry Rollins getting all serious but not Bret Michaels.

That's pretty much on the money as far as I'm concerned...

SparkieD
05-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Baby, I think he worked on the end that needed the most improvement.

Seshmeister
05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I hate to say that "Look What the Cat Dragged In" had a couple o' catchy tunes on there. Very simple, but undeniably catchy. They went as far as they could on that record, and that wasn't very far. We should just title their output afterward "Look What the Cat Shit Out"......

:D