PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard: High N' Dry Vs. Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction

WARF
05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Let's get these two bad ass mofos together?

Which was the better record???

http://www.rocknrollhell.com/defleppard/highndry.jpg

http://www.coverportal.de/cover/audio/g/guns_n_roses_appetite_for_destruction_a.jpg

WARF
05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Oooops... no poll.

Post your thoughts here!

Redballjets88
05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
so a good band vs a pop hair metal crap band..... hm ill go with GnR

WARF
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88

High N' Dry was NOT a pop hair metal album.

It's a great album before Mutt Lange and MTV ruined them.
Did you even listen to that album??

Redballjets88
05-28-2007, 03:43 PM
im sure i have heard it, i just cant stand thme bc they get way too much credit... on vh1 when the do the history of metal thing they give more time and credit to leppard than cvh

Coyote
05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll go with Def Leppard.

I don't skip as many tracks on "High'n'Dry" as I do with "Appetite..."

DeadOrAlive
05-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Is this serious...?

Gn'R.

Redballjets88
05-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Is this serious...?

Gn'R.

thats what i say

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 03:50 PM
ya, I skip more tracks on Appetite.

High N Dry is a great great ROCK album. Appetite is too but I think High N Dry is just cooler, more vintage , old school.

my pick is Def Leppard.

WARF
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I think people fail to remember that Def Leppard with the duo of Pete Willis and Steve Clark (RIP) was one of the greatest Rock N' Roll bands of that ERA.... they took over as the premiere Rock Band in the UK after Bonham died.

PumpedUpMidget
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Guns in a landslide.....just mentioning the other band's name nauseates me.....

DeadOrAlive
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Guns N' Roses is just a nice kick in the ass. Makes any day a good day.

jharp84
05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Love em both! BUT NOT COMPARABLE! 2 different era's and style's of rock n'roll! High N Dry was one the the most UNDERATED ALBUMS of ROCK!!!

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 03:55 PM

looking at some of Axels photos & videos with the band, he had some pretty bad hair doo's ala Poison "Look What The Cat Dragged In", maybe even worse.

to me, that qualifies GnR as a hair metal band. some of the other members had some poofy ones too.

GnR was pop hair metal too. they had very much a pop metal sig in some of their songs.

Redballjets88
05-28-2007, 03:57 PM
gnr had more edge, and i hate the singer for leppard, his name slips my mind somehow

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 03:59 PM
ya, sweet child and patience was harder edged than anything def leppard did.

I like GnR too but lets not pass them off as thrash. GnR had alot of soft songs.

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 04:02 PM
gnr had more edge, and i hate the singer for leppard, his name slips my mind somehow

BTW:if you like Eat'em and Smile , you cant call Def Leppard pop hair metal crap. :)

DR CHIP
05-28-2007, 04:02 PM
GNR in a landslide....

Leppard were good at their time, GNR were monumental at their time....

Leppard made you excited and turn up the radio, GNR ripped your head off....

PumpedUpMidget
05-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
ya, sweet child and patience was harder edged than anything def leppard did.

I like GnR too but lets not pass them off as thrash. GnR had alot of soft songs.

Good point.....The Partridge Family's stuff was more harder edged than anything Def Leppard ever did....

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 04:06 PM
they musy be pretty stupid there in Minnesota.

PumpedUpMidget
05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
No sense of humor?? Lighten up

saint
05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Easy, IŽll go with High N' Dry. I was never to crazy about GnR

Mr Badguy
05-28-2007, 04:51 PM
As much as I like "High n dry", it stole all of it`s best ideas from AC/DC 1979-81 (thanks to Mutt Lange).

"Appetite..." maybe isn`t totally original either but does have attitude.

GnR for me.

FORD
05-28-2007, 05:30 PM
High n Dry is the best album Def Leppard ever did. But I still liked "Appetite" better. That damn slab of plastic got daily airplay on my stereo in the summer of 1988 and probably three times a day on weekends. Of course what else was I gonna play... OU812?? SkyCRAPper??

WARF
05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by FORD
High n Dry is the best album Def Leppard ever did. But I still liked "Appetite" better. That damn slab of plastic got daily airplay on my stereo in the summer of 1988 and probably three times a day on weekends. Of course what else was I gonna play... OU812?? SkyCRAPper??

I was listening to alot of Queenscryche "Operation: Mindcrime", Living Colour "Vivid", ans Maiden 'Seventh son..." album.

88' really sucked though... Guns was kicking everyones ass that year... and that was mostly because there weren't alot of good bands or albums that came out that year.

cMb
05-28-2007, 06:45 PM
High N' Dry in a landslide.

Leppard is a total joke from 'Pyromania' to now. But at the time of this record, they were considered a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal band.

I just listened to 'Let It Go' & 'High N Dry' yesterday. Plenty of attitude in those trax.

Hign N Dry & On Through the Night are prime early 80's metal albums.
Their sell-out to MTV was disgusting to watch tho...

sadaist
05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Def Lep. I even prefer Pyro to anything GnR ever did.

FORD
05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by WARF
I was listening to alot of Queenscryche "Operation: Mindcrime", Living Colour "Vivid", ans Maiden 'Seventh son..." album.

88' really sucked though... Guns was kicking everyones ass that year... and that was mostly because there weren't alot of good bands or albums that came out that year.

Oops, forgot about Living Colour... yeah, I actually got that one early, before they broke on MTV, because I was working with all these metal dudes, some of whom also lived right below me in this Hell-on-earth apartment complex. Had stereo wars with them every weekend, and one week I had to ask "Hey that shit sounds great! Who is that? Living Colour? Cool... gonna have to pick that up."

You remember a band called 24-7 Spyz from the same era? Kinda like Living Color, but more hardcore.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KvBw-JaLnLQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KvBw-JaLnLQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

WARF
05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't remember that.
I did however have to edit my last post calling the band, "In Living Colour" lol.

Terry
05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
As much as I like "High n dry", it stole all of it`s best ideas from AC/DC 1979-81 (thanks to Mutt Lange).

"Appetite..." maybe isn`t totally original either but does have attitude.

GnR for me.

Pretty much nailed it right there.

High N Dry was kinda like AC/DC-lite, in terms of songwriting, production, sound, etc.

Not necessarily a bad thing in a way, and probably the closest Leppard ever really came to being metal, but G N R's Appetite is much better, IMO.

Matt White
05-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Guns N' Fuckin' Roses

Coyote
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM

I don't hear it.
Leppard weren't as deeply entrenched in the "four-on-the-floor" principle as AC/DC.

And, you sure as fuck won't hear AC/DC doing songs like "Bringin' On The Heartbreak"...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
I'll go with Def Leppard.

I don't skip as many tracks on "High'n'Dry" as I do with "Appetite..."

That's like saying you skip tracks on VH 1.... Both are amazing, flawless, records.

Joe Eliiot.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
GnR all the way.

bru87tr
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't hear it.
Leppard weren't as deeply entrenched in the "four-on-the-floor" principle as AC/DC.

And, you sure as fuck won't hear AC/DC doing songs like "Bringin' On The Heartbreak"...

I never got the comparisons.

cause Mutt did both albums ? give me a break.

Coyote
05-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
That's like saying you skip tracks on VH 1.... Both are amazing, flawless, records.

Which I do sometimes. Nothing's flawless. Not even =VH=.

Dan
05-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Guns N' Roses.

BTW...Axl is still a Cunt.

Mr Badguy
05-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I don't hear it.

Huh?

I didn`t hear all of those big powerchords like "You got me runnin`" or "Another hit and run" on their debut.

Rick Allen`s drumming is pretty different as well, less fancy stuff like "Rock brigade" and more no frills ala Phil Rudd.

And "High n Dry (Saturday night)" is probably the biggest rip off of "Highway to hell" you`ll ever hear.

Go listen to them back to back and tell me I`m wrong.

binnie
05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Guns N Roses all the way.

Not even a contest as far as my ears are concerned...

These are great threads WARF...

bru87tr
05-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Huh?

I didn`t hear all of those big powerchords like "You got me runnin`" or "Another hit and run" on their debut.

Rick Allen`s drumming is pretty different as well, less fancy stuff like "Rock brigade" and more no frills ala Phil Rudd.

And "High n Dry (Saturday night)" is probably the biggest rip off of "Highway to hell" you`ll ever hear.

dont hear it.

you should go back to comparing nickleback songs....lol

Mr Badguy
05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
dont hear it.

you should go back to comparing nickleback songs....lol

I suppose Krokus and Jackyl don`t sound like AC/DC to you either?

What is nickelback?

SparkieD
05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Although I think GnR used up all they had on this one disc, I'll go with Appetite. At least they had something to use up. Def Leppard is given way too much credit for metal. Any credit at all is undeserved.

Terry
05-29-2007, 09:37 AM

What is nickelback?

heh heh...Krokus

Terry
05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SparkieD
Although I think GnR used up all they had on this one disc, I'll go with Appetite. At least they had something to use up. Def Leppard is given way too much credit for metal. Any credit at all is undeserved.

There's a LOT of bands who get lumped in with 'metal' by many, who, to me, had little to nothing to do with metal:

Def Leppard
Poison
Warrant
Bon Jovi
Winger
Slaughter

Not really a comment on those bands sucking or not, but none of 'em are metal to me.

bru87tr
05-29-2007, 10:06 AM
thats why its called "pop" metal.

it doesnt fit in with classic rock...etc

Coyote
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM

I just don't fucking hear it.

Terry
05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
thats why its called "pop" metal.

it doesnt fit in with classic rock...etc

Yeah, still pissed me off, though, more so twenty years ago when someone would ask you what you were into, you'd say 'metal' and then the person would say, "You mean, like, Cinderella?" "NO, not like FUCKING Cinderella!"

Same lines as being a Van Halen fan after the 1985 split, then having to clarify which lineup you weren't talking about when you said you were a fan.

bru87tr
05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
wow, you need to chill terry.

its music.

Padre Atilio
05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I would even prefer Living Colour over Def lep. and GnR. They never did a bad album.

SparkieD
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Yeah, still pissed me off, though, more so twenty years ago when someone would ask you what you were into, you'd say 'metal' and then the person would say, "You mean, like, Cinderella?" "NO, not like FUCKING Cinderella!"

Geez, that shit pisses me off to this day. How the fuck can bands like that be lumped in with bands like, for instance, Slayer?

People tend to really think of bands like Cinderella, Winger, Warrant, etc. if you are a girl who is into metal.

cMb
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
You guys don't consider 'On Through The Night' to be a metal album?
Sure, it's not Slayer, but not a lot of bands compare to Slayer...

Bludgeon Riffola!

cMb
05-29-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.photofeatures.com/defleppard/images/prevs/d17011a.jpg

ODShowtime
05-29-2007, 08:32 PM
appetite is a much better album

SparkieD
05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by cMb
http://www.photofeatures.com/defleppard/images/prevs/d17011a.jpg

Is this supposed to convince us that they were metal? All I can say is Ewwwwwwwwwww:p

cMb
05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Aw, c'mon! It was 1980!
Who didn't look stupid in 1980? :p

This look is pretty typical of NWOBHM, maybe just a little 'perm' heavy tho...LOL

Terry
05-29-2007, 09:45 PM
wow, you need to chill terry.

its music.

Yeah, well, perhaps.

Maybe I'll relax by listening to some metal...where's that Bon Jovi cd?;)

rustoffa
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM

What is nickelback?

Rick Rubin dug deep into Lange's handbook on the production of The Cult's "Electric." That Love Removal Machine song had goths' throwing themselves into freshly-dug graves! Fucking blatant AC/DC riffola rip-off right there.
:rolleyes:

WACF
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
I am with Mr. Badguy here.

I have always heard the similarities.

Tiki-Tom
05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Geez, Appetite bitch slaps "anything" Def ever put out. Granted, like my better half always says, They "G&R" blew their load on that record. Still, If you gotta expend your talent on one record those guys did one hell of a job.

As for Def, The first couple of discs they released I could take or leave. Some fairly decent tunes on there, no doubt. Still, anything from Pyro and especially onward make me cringe. If I want to hear cheerleaders Ill just watch the damn game on the tube with much better visuals to go with the cheers, Fuck............:mad:

GreenBayLA
06-02-2007, 01:34 AM
I can't really choose, both are great for different reasons. High N Dry is rock solid but Appetite is raw.

tajmahal
07-03-2007, 09:46 AM
AFD is better than High n' Dry.

AFD vs. Pyromania is very close.

DeadMan1984
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
High N Dry is one of my favorite albums ever so I'll go with that.

binnie
07-04-2007, 02:57 AM
I'm surprised at how much love there is for Def Leppard, they're really seen as a joke band in the UK.

I don't mind High n Dry, but I wouldn't write home about it....

Mr Badguy
07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I'm surprised at how much love there is for Def Leppard, they're really seen as a joke band in the UK.

Apparently the Germans have a hard on for Saxon, and while they made some outstanding album in the early 80`s, I can`t help but think of their guitarist wearing that wig, the moustaches, the spandex and all of the other goofy shit they ever did.

binnie
07-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Apparently the Germans have a hard on for Saxon, and while they made some outstanding album in the early 80`s, I can`t help but think of their guitarist wearing that wig, the moustaches, the spandex and all of the other goofy shit they ever did.

Did you see that Harvey Goldsmith programme where he tried to revive Saxon's career? God that was funny!

They made some killer albums in the early 80s, and I've also enjoyed their last three studio albums, which are great metal.

But when they tried to go all LA it went tits up. Very difficult to be glamourous when you're from Barnsley!

Dave's Bitch
09-18-2007, 06:36 PM
GUNS N FUCKING ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

(i do love high n dry though)