PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Speaking Out on Iraq

Steve Savicki
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
The events of last week demonstrate to all of us that we still have miles to go to win the struggle to force a new direction for our policy in Iraq.

Unfortunately, at a time when direct talk is so vital, there is still an effort to marginalize those who speak out against the policy of the Bush White House and the GOP.

A few weeks ago, the very effective grassroots veterans organization VoteVets released a series of ads featuring retired military leaders speaking out about the broken policy in Iraq. One of them, General John Batiste, spoke forcefully about Bush's "failed strategy that is breaking our great Army."

The price of speaking out? General Batiste was fired from his job at CBS.

Now, there are other retired military members voicing support for the policy of George Bush, and none of them have been fired for it.

This is another in a long line of attempts to make speaking out costly to those who do it, from the Dixie Chicks being pulled from radio play lists to the savage attacks on Jack Murtha -- the smear of Matt Dowd after he spoke out against his old boss -- or the way in which retired military leaders who dared call for Don Rumsfeld's resignation were dismissed and even attacked as disloyal, painted as threats to civilian control of the armed forces. That is cheap and it is shameful.

At a time when the administration cannot let go of the myths and outright lies it broadcast in the rush to war in Iraq, those who know better must speak out.

I know from experience how hard it can be to speak out against a war when there are many powerful forces trying to silence you. But I also know how important speaking out can be -- especially when it comes from those who know what it means to wear the uniform of our country. We need more truth about Iraq, not silenced voices.

If we stand together and speak with many strong voices, all calling for a new direction in Iraq, we will bring change.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

<i>Freedom's on the line...</i>

hideyoursheep
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
:sleepy:

jhale667
05-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
:sleepy:

Yeah, ignoring the truth usually works...;)

fryingdutchman
05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
The price of speaking out? General Batiste was fired from his job at CBS.[/u]

First of all, General Batiste was likely just a "consultant" who was paid a stipend from CBS on an "as-needed" basis.

So stop painting it like this man's "career" was destroyed.

Now, there are other retired military members voicing support for the policy of George Bush, and none of them have been fired for it.

Ummmm....if they're retired, then they have nothing to be fired from!

Sincerely,

John Kerry

<i>Irrelevant dipshit...</i>

fryingdutchman
05-31-2007, 06:34 PM
The liberal media in this country is certainly not going to fire somebody just because they made controversial comments against the war.

In fact, if anything, the person making the comments will get even MORE "face time."

Controversy=ratings. Just ask Rosie O'Donnell.

What proof does John Kerry have that this is the sole reason that General Batiste was fired?

fryingdutchman
05-31-2007, 06:36 PM
By the way, Steve...

Why are you posting in the forum that you wanted "shitcanned?"

Hopefully Lounge will lock this thread as well...