PDA

View Full Version : 5150 III Specs

Don Corleone
05-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Couldn't get the page to copy, so it'll have to be a link for now

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73485

indeedido
05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow, what a great find! I'm interested to check out the amp when available. Three channels with independant eq controls. That is what the original was missing.

That price better be MSRP. 1299 pounds equals about $2565 US dollars!!

indeedido
05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I notice each channel has a gain. So once again, no dedicated clean channel. Interesting.

indeedido
05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
And available in Germany too for $2155 US.
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/evh-5150-iii-black-p-22735.html

Custom made transformers and special biasing help achieve Edwards fabled Variable AC effect. Hmmmmmm???

So perhaps the sale has started over seas first? I'm definately NOT paying 2 grand for this amp.

rocknrolldork
05-30-2007, 01:44 PM
The guy at Guitarget (Guitar Center) in Indy said he will be able to sell it for $1800.00. I'm going to Chicago to play it first. If I like it I'll wait until Indy gets one and buy it there.

I goofed around with a Variac today during lunch. It really doesn't make that much of a difference and I'm not so sure Ed really used one often if at all. The more I try to get that sound the more I realize it was probably just a jcm800 or 900 being run wide open, studio effects/reverb and studio eq that made it happen on VH1 - Fair Warning.

Nitro Express
05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Ed was trying to use a variac like a hot plate. His sound was just diming everything on that old Marshall. He only used the variac to try and quiet it down. He also lied about how he used the variac to throw people.

Nitro Express
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Four 6L6 tubes so it's a high gain amplifier just like the 5150 and 5150 II. EL-34's sound like ass in a high gain amp. These are all based on Mike Soldano's SLO 100 amp with some different coloring.

I'll bet anything the 5150 III is a 5150 II with a dedicated gain and precense in the crunch channel. Many people don't realize it but you can get damn close to the old VH tone on a 5150 II or 5150 combo crunch channel. It sounds like Eddie has refinded that a bit more.

Nitro Express
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm betting a moderately usuable clean channel. A really great crunch channel. Then a ultra high gain channel that sounds just like a 5150.

So classic VH will be in the crunch channel and the later high gain shit will be in the lead channel.

You can switch to the clean channel to do the clean part of Hot For Teacher and then boom, switch to the crunch channel. My 6505+ has a foot switch where I can do this and that's how I use the clean channel.

jhale667
05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
The more I try to get that sound the more I realize it was probably just a jcm800 or 900 being run wide open

Nope. Think earlier. 1200 series Plexi.

Panamark
05-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Dumb question time..

Is it still made by Peavey ?
Reason I ask is that I know EVH and Peavey
parted ways and Eddie's Frankies are baing manufactured
by Fender...

jhale667
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Dumb question time..

by Fender...

...All the EVH brand stuff is being manufactured by Fender.

hillbillyhell
05-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Dumb question time..

by Fender...

The peavey 6505 is the evh 5150 peavey amp .

Panamark
05-31-2007, 12:03 AM
So Ed's happy for Peavey to make his AMP's, just not
his geetars ?

The specs sound interesting, I guess you could have three
different preset tones of crunch in essence.. (With the
3 channels) The first 5150 I tried, I didnt like,
but I will give this one a go when I see it in the shop..

Ya know, with all the marketing emphasis on CVH gear,
its surprising Eddie didnt strike up a deal with Marshall...

jhale667
05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
So Ed's happy for Peavey to make his AMP's, just not
his geetars ?

The specs sound interesting, I guess you could have three
different preset tones of crunch in essence.. (With the
3 channels) The first 5150 I tried, I didnt like,
but I will give this one a go when I see it in the shop..

Ya know, with all the marketing emphasis on CVH gear,
its surprising Eddie didnt strike up a deal with Marshall...

Repeat - Peavey is NOT making the new one...it's going to be made by Fender...

But yeah, always figured he'd go back to Marshall eventually too....go figure.

As for Tri-channel amps, I still love my Boogie MKIII....:D

Panamark
05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Repeat - Peavey is NOT making the new one...it's going to be made by Fender...

But yeah, always figured he'd go back to Marshall eventually too....go figure.

As for Tri-channel amps, I still love my Boogie MKIII....:D

Sorry mate, I missed your post first time..
Thx for the info...

I wish it was Marshall, but Fender make great AMP's..
This *WILL* be worth trying !!

jhale667
05-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Sorry mate, I missed your post first time..
Thx for the info...

I wish it was Marshall, but Fender make great AMP's..
This *WILL* be worth trying !!

No worries...:D

Here's a European ad I found for it....

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/evh-5150-iii-ivory-p-22736.html

DLRdelight!
05-31-2007, 01:15 AM
ill be looking to try it as well. lets see what it can do

Panamark
05-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
No worries...:D

Here's a European ad I found for it....

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/evh-5150-iii-ivory-p-22736.html

"Makes notes seem to jump out of the guitar and inspires creative, unpredictable playing"

LOL !!!

Man with that kind of review I must have one ! :D

jhale667
05-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!
ill be looking to try it as well. lets see what it can do

I'm gonna check it out as well. The trick will be to resist the urge and NOT play endless CVH riffs, thus becoming the embodiment of the guitar store wanker...:D

Panamark
05-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Man, I hate guitar store wankers !

I try to visit stores when I know it will
be quieter.. I actually prefer the sales dudes
to stay away too.. Theres only one thing worse
than a guitar shop wanker, thats a guitar shop
sales wanker ! You know the one, you ask to try
a guitar or amp and he *has* to play some shit
before handing you the guitar..

I like the shops that have the soundproofed
AMP rooms that you can sit in on your own..
Thats the best !

Nitro Express
05-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I thought the 5150 III sounded real good at NAAM. Very brown and classic sounding. Mike Soldano always said you could get power tube distortion tone out of preamp tubes if the circuit was done right.

I just buy the Peavey 5150 II amps and do a bias mod run Electroharmonix tubes in them and I'm happy. The tubes sound better after the burn in after a few hours of playing.

One problem with Peavey is they factory bias the amp cold to make it more reliable. I talked with a Peavey rep and he told me most 5150 purchasers are punk and metal heads who like the harsh sound but the more classic rock type guys buy a different kind of amp.

I'm just saying increasing the plate voltage draw in a 5150 does wonders. Fine with me. The amps are cheap, available and I know how to make them sound good.

indeedido
05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
The one thing missing from the 5150 III looks like the resonance. I know that is proprietary to peavey, but some other makers have it and call it something else. That is really what gave the original 5150 all that fat bottom end. I like the first two amps and they are differetn tonally. I'm real curious as to how this one will sound.

cdwillis
06-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Without a new album or tour this gear endorsement shit is just a joke. Ed can keep making money off his past all he wants (I don't blame him). But there is no use for new shit if he's not even using it.

You wanna sound like EVH? You're not going to. You wanna try? Get an old Marshall SLP or a Peavey.

WelshJon
06-01-2007, 04:39 AM
I wonder how much this would cost if it didn't have EVH on it?
And just how good it really sounds?
£1300 is steep for a 3 channel head (JCM 2000 TSL is £700 ish, but don't sound that good...)

Don Corleone
06-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Here's the Namm clip with Ed playing through a 5150 III

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
06-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by WelshJon
I wonder how much this would cost if it didn't have EVH on it?
And just how good it really sounds?
£1300 is steep for a 3 channel head (JCM 2000 TSL is £700 ish, but don't sound that good...)

I hope they sell a ton of them so they end up used on Ebay for $400.

Don Corleone
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
It does what it's meant to do, then £1300 ain't gonna a bad price for it.

Nitro Express
06-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by indeedido
The one thing missing from the 5150 III looks like the resonance. I know that is proprietary to peavey, but some other makers have it and call it something else. That is really what gave the original 5150 all that fat bottom end. I like the first two amps and they are differetn tonally. I'm real curious as to how this one will sound.

I love that ressonance control and that is what will warm up a 5150 if you dial it in right. If you are used to older Marshalls and Fenders, a 5150 is a little confusing because you actually have to fine dial your tone in. The knobs do a lot and you actually have to dial things down. I couldn't get a good VH tone out of my Peavey Windsor either until I found you have to crank the bass.

Peavey amps are a little wierd EQ wise. Once you figure it out you can dial in some good tones. Hartley Peavey doesn't follow anyone else, he makes his own rules and I think that's one reason Peavey gear has it's own mojo you have to figure out.

BrownSound1
06-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
The guy at Guitarget (Guitar Center) in Indy said he will be able to sell it for $1800.00. I'm going to Chicago to play it first. If I like it I'll wait until Indy gets one and buy it there.

I goofed around with a Variac today during lunch. It really doesn't make that much of a difference and I'm not so sure Ed really used one often if at all. The more I try to get that sound the more I realize it was probably just a jcm800 or 900 being run wide open, studio effects/reverb and studio eq that made it happen on VH1 - Fair Warning.

Definitely NOT a JCM 900....which are one of the assiest sounding Marshalls of all time...as in sound like ass. Plus those weren't even made during that time.

It's a Superlead, non-master volume. I'd say he went between his Plexis and some metal faced Superleads.

jhale667
06-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you for clearing that up, Sensei! :baaa:

Nitro Express
06-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Marshalls loses me when they try to beef up the pre-amp section. They are the worst company when it comes to that. Their high gain is so thin, lifeless, and unmusical. If I wan' diode clipping I will use a peddle to get it thank you.

The sweetest all around amp is anything basically based on the old Fender Bassman circuit. If you like the sound of EL-34s or 6L6 is up to you. Want it hotter, throw a peddle or two in front. I did that for years with non-master volume amps.

indeedido
06-06-2007, 12:15 PM
$1999.99 at Musicians Friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-5150-III-HD-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481477

This professional all-tube, 100-watt amplifier was developed to meet the exacting specifications of Edward Van Halen, one of the true living legends of rock guitar. The 5150-III amp s flexible feature set allows creation of tones from clean to crunch to full-out distortion, inspiring limitless artistic expression. Truly roadworthy, the EVH amp features no-compromise construction promising peak performance for years to come.

With an ultra high gain preamp design, you get maximum harmonic content. Three individual channels each come with dedicated gain, volume, EQ and presence controls. A custom heavy-duty footswitch with simplified step on the channel you want configuration is lit with color coded LEDs easy to see on a dark stage. The front panel grill features the famous EVH striped motif.

EVH 5150 III HD Guitar Amp Head Features:

Made to Edward Van Halen s exacting specifications.
The exact amp used in the studio and on stage by Edward.
Heavy-duty hardware and construction.
Vertically mounted preamp tubes with premium sockets.
Custom made transformers and special biasing Help achieve Edward s fabled Variable AC affect
Lower-noise preamp circuitry - Less hiss & hum than many ultra-high gain amplifiers
Preamp designed to add extremely high harmonic content - Makes notes seem to jump out of the guitar, and inspires creative, unpredictable playing
Step on what you want footswitch with color-coded LEDs Instantly select any of the three channels with one button push; selection is easily visible on a darkened stage; FX loop can also be selected

EVH 5150 III HD Guitar Amp Head Specifications:

All-tube amplifier with channel switching
Wide range of tones from clean to extremely high-gain overdrive
White pointer knobs
Effects Loop with 1 4 SEND and 1 4 RETURN jacks
Preamp Output
Four-button footswitch with color-coded LEDs; simplified step on the channel you want switching
Impedance selector
Two Speaker outputs
CONTROLS Channel One:
GAIN, LOW, MID, HIGH, VOLUME, CHANNEL SELECT, PRESENCE
Channel Two:
Channel Three:
POWER & STANDBY
IMPEDANCE SELECTOR (4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, or 16 Ohm operation)
COVERING Textured vinyl covering (Black or Ivory)
EVH striped metal grille
WEIGHT 55 lbs (25 kg)
DIMENSIONS Height 10.25 (26 cm)
Width: 29.75 (75.5 cm)
Depth: 11.5 (29.3 cm)
POWER HNDLG. -
TUBES Four 6L6 output tubes
Eight 12AX7 preamp tubes

twonabomber
06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend...

Nitro Express
06-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Funny. My favorite 5150 II had the transformers replaced with custom transformers made specifically for that amp in California and a wide sweep bias adjustment put on.

The 5150 II is basically a two channel amp with high gain and a clean channel with a crunch setting. The crunch setting if your amps is tweaked right will get your into classic VH territory.

It's sounds like Fender really put the features into the 5150 III that mod shops were doing to the 5150 II and 5150 combo. The original 5150 is just a high gain balls to the wall machine. Not my favorite amp but I like a good 5150 II.

I like Peavey's patented ressonance control. Fender does not have that but if the amp is voiced right it might not need it but the ressonance allowed you a real diverse selection of tones from death metal to more classic rock tones.

Looks like an interesting amp. I can't wait to burn through one.

jhale667
06-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend...

;)

http://a.photos.cx/hello1-be6.jpg

Don Corleone
06-10-2007, 07:37 AM
There seems to be a lot of emphasis being made about the ability to get the CVH tone from this amp. Like I said earlier if this amp can do what it say's on the packet - it should be something good.

indeedido
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Found some interesting pics of the inside of the amp..... If I have to pull the chasis out to change the preamp tubes, what a pain that would be. Seems an odd design.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/504584.jpg

indeedido
06-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks like the cab has special designed Celestion Greenbacks....

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/504756.jpg

indeedido
06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm as curious as the rest of you about the tone of this thing, but here is my first complaint before I even get to play one....The on/off and standby switches are on the back. What bullshit

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/502227.jpg

indeedido
06-21-2007, 10:28 PM
for those who like to see the guts.....

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/guts.jpg

indeedido
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Found this interesting for what it is worth. this guy listed one for sale on ebay. Looks like they are MIM. Made in Mexico!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220124556104&rd=1&rd=1

Q: IS THAT - MADE IN MEXICO - ON THE BOX? Jun-25-07
A: I believe it does, but I can't tell for sure because of the stickers. I can't imagine this suprises anyone? Fender’s "state-of-the-art" amplifier manufacturing facility in Ensenada, Mexico. Gracious del la interesto.

Nitro Express
07-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by indeedido
Found some interesting pics of the inside of the amp..... If I have to pull the chasis out to change the preamp tubes, what a pain that would be. Seems an odd design.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/504584.jpg

I liked how Peavey horizontally mounted the preamp tubes under a plate that could be removed without pulling the amp chassis out of the box. On these high gain amps, preamp tubes make a huge differnence in tone and the way Peavey did it you could experiment and tweek it or change a bad tube. Peavey also uses sepparate circuit boards for the pre amp tubes, EQ section, and Power amp. If a board does go bad it can be replaced. Looks like Fender has done a simular thing having everything linked with ribbon wire.

Looks like the standby and power switches are on the back. That sucks. They had to do it to make room for all of the knobs the thing uses. Who in the hell is going to use the clean channel anyways? The 5150II basically put clean and rythum (crunch) together on the same EQ circuit. This eliminated some knobs and allowed the switches to be on the front of the amp. No ressonance control.

I don't know. Looks like a decent amp but I think the price is too high.

Nitro Express
07-03-2007, 04:13 AM
Looks like special EVH ediction 25 watt greenbacks. What's the difference between those and the regular greenbacks? A sticker and the price?