PDA

View Full Version : Honorable Marine to Get 'General' Discharge!

Nickdfresh
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Military Panel Recommends General Discharge for Marine Who Protested War in Uniform
http://northernvirginia.cox.net/cci/apimages/ap-image-6347a65d-91df-435f-b083-9eb5218dca2e.jpg
Marine Corps veteran Adam Kokesh talks with reporters during a news conference in Washington, Friday, June 1, 2007. Kokesh had already received an honorable discharge from active duty before he was photographed in April wearing fatigues - with military insignia removed - during a mock patrol with other veterans protesting the Iraq war. A military panel in Kansas City, Mo., will hold a hearing Monday to decide whether he should be should be discharged from service and, if so, with what type of discharge. (AP Photo/Lawrence Jackson)
06-04-2007 8:30 PM
By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH, Associated Press Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Associated Press) -- A military panel has recommended a general discharge for an Iraq war veteran who wore his uniform during a war protest and later responded with an obscenity to a superior who told him he might have violated military rules.

Marine Cpl. Adam Kokesh participated in the protest in March, clad in a uniform that had his name tag and other insignia removed. After he was identified in a photo caption in The Washington Post, a superior officer sent him a letter saying he might have violated a rule prohibiting troops from wearing uniforms without authorization.

After a hearing Monday before an administrative separation board at the Marine Corps Mobilization Command, the panel decided not to recommend a less-than-honorable discharge, choosing instead the general discharge.

"This is a nonpunitive discharge," said Col. Patrick McCarthy, chief of staff for the mobilization command. "The most stringent discharge that could have been received is other than honorable, and the board chose to raise that up to a general discharge."

If the recommendation is approved, Kokesh would not lose any military benefits. McCarthy said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

thome
06-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't get it the statement was he was already honorably discharged.

How can they redischarge him other than...

This cannot stand lots of dudes wear thier fatigues to work and such
what if they got some paint on thier pants would they be discraceing military property.?

I always considered disrespect to the uniform only reprehensible when
done to the class A or full dress uniform.

he paid for them, he owns them, he wasn't on active duty, wtf.

That's just me.

thome
06-04-2007, 10:15 PM
I think the issue is the treatenig email he sent to his superior officer.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Associated Press) -- A military panel has recommended a general discharge for an Iraq war veteran who wore his uniform during a war protest and later responded with an obscenity to a superior who told him he might have violated military rules.

He sent a threatening email, ??another report??
to someone ,his active duty superior officer and that is verbal assault they could court martial the kid.He will be lucky and thankfull if they don't, if he is smart, they can very easily.

Jag officers need training too.

They said the protest was a theatrical performance, which meant wearing a uniform was not a violation of military rules. The military considered it a political event, at which personnel are not allowed to wear their uniforms without authorization.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/135349.html

click Video

FORD
06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Are fatigues officially considered a uniform if they don't have the required patches and insignias on them?

I can go to a military surplus store and buy fatigues. Obviously that doesn't make me a Marine.

Sounds to me like they're splitting hairs here in an attempt to suppress the fact that there are those currently serving in the military who aren't afraid to say this war is bullshit.

thome
06-04-2007, 11:05 PM
He seems very well coached in the vid maybe he will be the future Sheehan.

Or maybe in 27 years he can run for pres and remame himself john Kerry.

Only the nanes have changed...spooky isn't it.

Honestly the uniform is very important and shouldn't be trreated as
a toy and as i said before if he was in his Class A's i will be more pissed off than if it were fatigues..?(still don't know)

He wore his uniform for three reasons

1. To get extra attention
2.He wanted to make a statement as a soldier
3.He is a proud soldier who loves his country yet has a beef with the higher ups.

DEMON CUNT
06-05-2007, 12:51 AM
This only gives his cause more power. Perhaps he can achive what Sheehan could not.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ApVMr4XcGk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ApVMr4XcGk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DEMON CUNT
06-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by thome

Indeed.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/graphics/photos/notorious_murders/mass/jonestown/5a.jpg

ELVIS
06-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Are fatigues officially considered a uniform if they don't have the required patches and insignias on them?

As far as I know, no...

FORD
06-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
As far as I know, no...

So then, how was he "in uniform"?

Nickdfresh
06-05-2007, 04:23 AM
This guy has the right to free speech. There are a few virulently pro-War service members that use their uniforms to defend a flawed ans failed policy, so what's the problem with a Marine using BDUs any one of us could have picked up at a surplus outlet to make his statement?

Complete, punitive bullshit!

stringfelowhawk
06-05-2007, 04:41 AM
It is only illegal if he were on active duty or active reserves and wearing his uniform with appropriate name and rank insignia. I left 10 months ago after serving over 9 years. I'm not in the reserves and they can't call me up being that I spent over 8 years on active duty. He has done nothing wrong or illegal.

Someone mentioned "splitting hairs" above and they are dead on with that comment. I've seen some truly amazing bullshit pulled while I was in and you wouldn't believe the double standards that can be highlighted whenever the mood strikes the senior NCO's and officers.

knuckleboner
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
he was told it was against the rules to participate in fatigues. and what did he do in response to that? he gave an obscene gesture.

that's not an honorable marine.

he could've definitely disagreed with the command on the use of the fatigues, especially since he did remove all insignia. in fact, if i remember the earlier story correctly, they didn't immediately go after him for a dishonorable discharge; they merely informed him that he had improperly used the fatigues.

but then this dude went the obscenity route. attention grabbing, yes. but at that point, he has to be willing to accept the consequences of his actions.

BITEYOASS
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
THIS IS JUST ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!!!! Especially since this marine will be finished with IRR in less than 2 weeks. The officer who decided to do this is probably an evangelical right-wing goose stepper.

hideyoursheep
06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
he was told it was against the rules to participate in fatigues. and what did he do in response to that? he gave an obscene gesture.

that's not an honorable marine.

but then this dude went the obscenity route. attention grabbing, yes. but at that point, he has to be willing to accept the consequences of his actions.

Against what rules? He was already discharged. HE IS UNTOUCHABLE!

When they start jerking those who have already served around on their discharges AFTER they've ETS'd, that should do wonders for recruitment now, shouldn't it?

Fuck all of them. HE served. HE fought. Those fatigues are HIS! He earnd them and the right to do whatever he wants with them including wipe his ass with them if he so chooses. They're not the flag. They sell them to civilians used and new. I have everything still on mine since 91 except for rank, and no one ever said dick to me about it. Not that I roll around pretending to still be a member,(which he did not) but they are mine, and am still proud of the units, people I served with,etc.

"Improper use"? Lay off the weed. Our forces are improperly used.
""Went the obscenity route"....I'm not touching that one- you live in a goddamned bubble.

AND WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU PRETEND TO KNOW ABOUT WHAT'S HONORABLE FOR ANYONE TO DO EXCEPT YOURSELF? Speaking out against a war he has more insight on than you do? Or because it shines a light on the problems they're having? Dont like discourse?Join the Taliban.

You self-righteous prick.:mad:

hideyoursheep
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Or, you can join the Natl. Guard to avoid the draft , blow off drill, have a wealthy political relative keep you from being activated and deployed, get out early, cover that up and call yourself W.

Are you really Karl Rove?

Only he is dumb enough to repeat that shit.

hideyoursheep
06-06-2007, 10:19 AM
This guy is dead on.

It's really odd that someone in the govt. is even paying attention to him.

Nothing better to do than follow a vet against the war and dream up ways to try and fuck him over 1 last time, all because the truth hurts?

This isn't America anymore.

And whatever the cost of this babysitting this former marine to keep the pressure on him not to speak, I want my fucking money back...

Up armor those shitty Humvees you give to the marines to work with, only 1 out of 6 uparmored on bottom...fuckin stupid.

knuckleboner
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
Against what rules? He was already discharged. HE IS UNTOUCHABLE!

When they start jerking those who have already served around on their discharges AFTER they've ETS'd, that should do wonders for recruitment now, shouldn't it?

dude, i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that he was still in the Individual Ready Reserve. my guess is that means that although he got discharged already, he wasn't 100% fully out of the military. obviously, the authorities thought so, when they warned him. now, is that a correct reading of the military codes of conduct? i don't know. (and i'm guessing, neither do most of us here.) and like i said, i definitely don't mind the guy disputing the military authority if he felt they were not properly applying the miltary code of conduct to him when they told him not to use the fatigues in that manner. and, if there's no official rule on people in the IRR and their uniforms, then i'm all for the rule NOT being applied to this guy.

[/b]

"Improper use"? Lay off the weed. Our forces are improperly used.[/b]

totally irrelevant in the context. IF there is a specific entry in the military code of conduct that states definitively that a uniform is not to be used in that manner by somebody still in the IRR, then it was improper use of the uniform. the decisions to send troops and how they're used is a totally separate issue.

""Went the obscenity route"....I'm not touching that one- you live in a goddamned bubble.

AND WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU PRETEND TO KNOW ABOUT WHAT'S HONORABLE FOR ANYONE TO DO EXCEPT YOURSELF? Speaking out against a war he has more insight on than you do? Or because it shines a light on the problems they're having? Dont like discourse?Join the Taliban.

You self-righteous prick.:mad:

dude, i'm glad you feel passionate about something. just as i have no doubt cpl. kokesh was. but you know what? it doesn't mean that every act taken in furtherance of that goal is honorable.

his speaking out, in fact, had nothing to do with my honorable comment. i have the utmost respect for anybody who gives their sincere, public views on an issue, especially somebody like this guy who has more of an insight than most of us. great.

did i think his removing the insignia and then using the fatigues in his protest was dishonorable? nope. (against military code? eh, again, i don't know for sure. according to some, obviously, it was.) do i think his disagreeing with the military command that told him he was improperly using his uniform? nope, i'm all for that. do i think that saying, "well, fuck you!" (or whatever other obscenity he actually responded with) was dishonorable? yep.

and it doesn't matter how noble the cause is; it doesn't mean that EVERYTHING one does or says related to that cause is equally noble. and i'll be hard pressed to agree that uttering obscenities at people is ever noble.

Red White
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Marine Loses Appeal In Military Protest Case

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- An Iraq war veteran who wore his uniform at a protest lost his appeal Wednesday for a new hearing.

An attorney for Cpl. Adam Kokesh filed the appeal after a military panel that met Monday at the Marine Corps Mobilization Command in Kansas City recommended kicking Kokesh out of the Marines with a general discharge for the uniform infraction and using an obscenity in an e-mail to a superior officerHis civilian attorney, Mike Lebowitz, said the three-member administrative board that heard the case was "improperly convened." He argued that one of its members, Chief Warrant Officer Stephen Turner, isn't considered a commissioned officer for the purpose of serving on panels that decide whether to cut ties with Marines.

He said Marine rules require all such board members to be commissioned officers.

Brig. Gen. Darrell L. Moore, one of two officers who received an e-mail from Kokesh that contained an obscenity, dismissed the appeal, said Gunnery Sgt. Chad Homan. He said Moore is expected to complete his legal review of the board's proceedings and recommendation within the next week.

"He has taken the appeal to be unfounded, and it is his determination to make," Homan said.

The dispute started after Kokesh, a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War, was pictured attending the protest in March in a photograph that ran in The Washington Post.

During the hearing Monday, attorneys for Kokesh argued their client was not subject to military rules because he is a nondrilling, nonpaid member of the Individual Ready Reserve, which consists mainly of those who have left active duty but still have time remaining on their eight-year military obligations.

His service is due to end June 18.

Kokesh said he removed his name tag and military emblems from his uniform, making it clear he was not representing the military. His attorneys also argued the demonstration was "street theater," exempting it from rules barring troops from wearing uniforms at protest activities.

While Lebowitz acknowledged he did not object to Turner's presence on the board during the hearing, he said the decision not to rehear the case is contrary to military regulations.

"I find it unfortunate that Moore has the final say in that decision when he is the one who is in a way directly involved in this case because Adam Kokesh included him in one of his e-mails," he said. "That decision shouldn't be left to General Moore; it should be made by an unbiased individual."

Red White
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Honestly the uniform is very important and shouldn't be trreated as
a toy and as i said before if he was in his Class A's i will be more pissed off than if it were fatigues..?(still don't know)

He wore his uniform for three reasons

1. To get extra attention
2.He wanted to make a statement as a soldier
3.He is a proud soldier who loves his country yet has a beef with the higher ups.

^
3.He seems to be angry at one or two higher -ups.

Sending a email as stated is assualt and you can be arrested for it
that is the issue he put upon himself.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Red White
^

Gee, angry at vindictive assholes? Really?

Sending an e-mail is "assault?"

Bullshit, this guy was fucking railroaded to make the proverbial example...

BITEYOASS
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
^

If two officers think an e-mail with swearing is considered assault, then damn corps is in serious trouble. Hell, it's hard to find someone in any of the squadrons I've been in that didn't swear. We had this GySgt. who sweared every 5 words. LOL

Red White
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Gee, angry at vindictive assholes? Really?

Sending an e-mail is "assault?"

Bullshit, this guy was fucking railroaded to make the proverbial example...

I dig man he can be prosecuted for a email anyone can.

Every GI has a term after service when you are considered a asset and
easily retrainable.
This used to be call Inactive Reserve.

Everyone signs up for 8yrs now(on the books so to speak), active for two or three or four. How ever it is written up.

He is being railroaded.The Military loves to bust the ass of upstarts who
break with the "code of conduct".

Red White
06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
If two officers think an e-mail with swearing is considered assault, then damn corps is in serious trouble. Hell, it's hard to find someone in any of the squadrons I've been in that didn't swear. We had this GySgt. who sweared every 5 words. LOL

He could be court-martialed.Take his rank GI bill home loan ability.
Throw him in jail at Ft. Leavenwoth .

He will be lucky if they don't .

As far as "in trouble" the military doesn't stand for or want independent thinkers.

On the underside of his forearm he has in big bold letters USMC tatooed.

He has disgraced the uniform and will allways wear the tat funny,huh?

hideyoursheep
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
He could be court-martialed.Take his rank GI bill home loan ability.
Throw him in jail at Ft. Leavenwoth .

He will be lucky if they don't .

As far as "in trouble" the military doesn't stand for or want independent thinkers.

On the underside of his forearm he has in big bold letters USMC tatooed.

He has disgraced the uniform and will allways wear the tat funny,huh? :rolleyes:

hideyoursheep
06-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
totally irrelevant in the context. IF there is a specific entry in the military code of conduct that states definitively that a uniform is not to be used in that manner by somebody still in the IRR, then it was improper use of the uniform. the decisions to send troops and how they're used is a totally separate issue.
You've missed MY point. There are more important tasks for military or govt. personnel to do with their time and effort than try to use this man as a fall guy to silence critics of the Iraq conflict-namely veterans of it. Shouldn't there time be used more efficiently by, I don't know, ENDING IT??
Name one Vietnam vet who ever caught shit for wearing his fatigue shirt or whatever during a protest-or any other reason, for that matter.
It is illegal to run around in uniform claiming to be a soldier when you're not, Not illegal to strip your own and wear them whenever you want, ESPECIALLY AFTER ETS. Regardless of IRR status. That only means you're out, but could be called back in case of emergency during a certain amount of time. The longer you remain active, the less you have on IRR, which really means nothing anyway.

and it doesn't matter how noble the cause is; it doesn't mean that EVERYTHING one does or says related to that cause is equally noble. and i'll be hard pressed to agree that uttering obscenities at people is ever noble.

Noble? You want noble, go to a renniscance fair. You never served, did you? If you did, you would know you are going to hear some swear words. Over and over again. Like it or not. Sorry to dissapoint, but there are almost no Oxford grads in the military. If there were, I never seen 'em. And chances are they swore,too. You dont have time to choose your words carefully as to not offend the virgin eared, I know where this guy's coming from. It becomes a habit. A bad one, but it happens. Especially when the "pucker factor" kicks in. This man probably hasn't "unpuckered" yet. Leave him alone.

Bubble.

hideyoursheep
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM

And all this time I thought our forces behaved with "nobility"... :D

Thank you.

knuckleboner
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
You've missed MY point. There are more important tasks for military or govt. personnel to do with their time and effort than try to use this man as a fall guy to silence critics of the Iraq conflict-namely veterans of it. Shouldn't there time be used more efficiently by, I don't know, ENDING IT??

that's like saying that so long as the police still have outstanding murders to investigate, they shouldn't bother with piddly shit like shoplifting.

look, if it's against the rules, it's against the rules.

but here's the important part: officially, they didn't change his discharge status after seeing him improperly (according to them) using the uniform. they notified him. they DID change his discharge status after his obscene response to their notice.

Name one Vietnam vet who ever caught shit for wearing his fatigue shirt or whatever during a protest-or any other reason, for that matter.
It is illegal to run around in uniform claiming to be a soldier when you're not, Not illegal to strip your own and wear them whenever you want, ESPECIALLY AFTER ETS. Regardless of IRR status. That only means you're out, but could be called back in case of emergency during a certain amount of time. The longer you remain active, the less you have on IRR, which really means nothing anyway.

[/b][/quote]

again, i really don't know the rules. but i have to believe that his case fell under an existing regulation. if it didn't, you can bet that THAT (and not some obscenity) would've been his response. showing that the military is trying to enforce things that have absolutely no basis hurts them far more than any amount of "you fucking bastards!" one can yell.

Noble? You want noble, go to a renniscance fair. You never served, did you? If you did, you would know you are going to hear some swear words. Over and over again. Like it or not. Sorry to dissapoint, but there are almost no Oxford grads in the military. If there were, I never seen 'em. And chances are they swore,too. You dont have time to choose your words carefully as to not offend the virgin eared, I know where this guy's coming from. It becomes a habit. A bad one, but it happens. Especially when the "pucker factor" kicks in. This man probably hasn't "unpuckered" yet. Leave him alone.

Bubble.

dude, i don't care what kind of language people use in their day-to-day lives. use whatever you want; not going to offend me, nor do i think you're wrong for using them.

but it's context that matters.

if this same guy had been asked by a 10 year old girl scout if he wanted to buy some tagalongs and he had said, "fuck no," we'd all agree that it was totally out of line. he's more than welcome to decline to buy them, but he shouldn't be cursing at a kid like that. and, mind you, i have no doubt, regardless of how much language he used in the service, he wouldn't have cursed at the kid.

i view it as the same thing here. he had every right to disagree with the authorities who gave him that uniform ruling. but i do not believe that he was just so conditioned from being in the military, that an obscene response was just a natural, unpreventable occurance. it wasn't. he chose the "fuck you," because he was pissed at them and didn't care.

again, sobeit, but it doesn't mean i have to respect that response.

knuckleboner
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM

that's like saying that so long as the police still have outstanding murders to investigate, they shouldn't bother with piddly shit like shoplifting.

look, if it's against the rules, it's against the rules.

but here's the important part: officially, they didn't change his discharge status after seeing him improperly (according to them) using the uniform. they notified him. they DID change his discharge status after his obscene response to their notice.

again, i really don't know the rules. but i have to believe that his case fell under an existing regulation. if it didn't, you can bet that THAT (and not some obscenity) would've been his response. showing that the military is trying to enforce things that have absolutely no basis hurts them far more than any amount of "you fucking bastards!" one can yell.

Bubble.

dude, i don't care what kind of language people use in their day-to-day lives. use whatever you want; not going to offend me, nor do i think you're wrong for using them.

but it's context that matters.

if this same guy had been asked by a 10 year old girl scout if he wanted to buy some tagalongs and he had said, "fuck no," we'd all agree that it was totally out of line. he's more than welcome to decline to buy them, but he shouldn't be cursing at a kid like that. and, mind you, i have no doubt, regardless of how much language he used in the service, he wouldn't have cursed at the kid.

i view it as the same thing here. he had every right to disagree with the authorities who gave him that uniform ruling. but i do not believe that he was just so conditioned from being in the military, that an obscene response was just a natural, unpreventable occurance. it wasn't. he chose the "fuck you," because he was pissed at them and didn't care.

again, sobeit, but it doesn't mean i have to respect that response.

thome
06-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I believe if there wasn't a war going on wasn't a parade with his uniform on and he had sent this email to his superior, he would
have been delt with in the same way.

If he was active he could have recieved a Field Grade court-martial .

This wasnt a staff sgt he cussed out it was a officer.

Let's not loose sight of the instigater /perpetrator

BITEYOASS
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
And all this time I thought our forces behaved with "nobility"... :D

Thank you.

Liberty turns into the backstage of a Van Halen Concert. Only without the illegal drugs. Hell I have my coproral promotion wetdown at a strip club.

hideyoursheep
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Liberty turns into the backstage of a Van Halen Concert. Only without the illegal drugs.

I'm not touching that one.:D

Times were let's say, "different" my first few years.

Ever see a guy make a bowl out of a beer can and pin-on rank?

Or see a guy show up @ 5:00 am PT formation looking for "Mr. Wizard", only to be escorted away by MP's?

WoooHoooo!

BITEYOASS
06-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Ever see a guy make a bowl out of a beer can and pin-on rank?

No, but one time a couple of SNCOs made one of those mini Grolsch kegs into something that looked like paveway fins. I'll make a correction on my last statement, it's a combination of the Backstage of a VH concert and "The Great Santini." Let's see you all get drunk off your ass and get clear headed for work. When I use to drink, I'd have about a half-gallon of water before hitting the sack and then be able to wake up in the morning without a hangover.

hideyoursheep
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Man, I tell ya, changes had to come after the 70's era guys left..

One cook OD'd in his bed-from what, I dunno..but he was graveyard dead.

At a training post used for long range weapons, we were guests in there barracks and we heard a loud "thud" against the building on the 3rd floor..dude tried to hang himself.

One of the guys I went through OSUT with got caught up in trying to make the fast buck as an E-2 and started smuggling from Amsterdam to FRG.

13 years hard labor Leavenworth.

The bowl-rank thing? An E-6 in
16 years with 9 article 15's under his belt.
In on the Cambodia invasion in '70.
Never dressed for class-A inspection and no one fucked with him.
The best platoon Sgt I ever had.
The biggest asshole ever as well.

Some changes were due to say the least. Back in the day, drinking was actually encouraged, if you can believe that. But not in the sandbox, as you know. Everyone had they're game faces on.

Such was life.

Nickdfresh
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
This is a public service announcement with guitars!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nPeWSpB_7w4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nPeWSpB_7w4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pay special attention to number 3 kiddies!