"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time. "
    George S. Patton
    "Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot."
    Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)
  • Wallyg
    Groupie
    • Aug 2005

My Fellow Americans:

Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our Allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far.

And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer:

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest -- until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas, whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them -- help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.

Many people have urged that I call the nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.

Give us strength, too -- strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.

And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.

And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade. Let not the keeness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment -- let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogances. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace -- a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

Thy will be done, Almighty God.

Amen.

Franklin D. Roosevelt - June 6, 1944
    "Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time. "
    George S. Patton
    "Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot."
    Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

No Doubt..

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDecLiA_Qbw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDecLiA_Qbw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

(BTW..was this speech real..or just produced by a movie?)
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
        it was not a real speech, but a large portion of it, overall, was cobbled together from various speeches the real patton gave.

[i] but it IS a great scene. one of the best motivational scenes in a movie, ever. up there with gibson in braveheart and pacino in any given sunday. (ok, i DO like the any given sunday, but patton's definitely better)

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'd like to correct the title here, it wasn't just important to "our" country...

Army photographer Robert Capa took some compelling pics of the carnage on "bloody Omaha Beach," the most difficult of the six landing beaches. Unfortunately, most were lost before they could be developed...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
            No Doubt..

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDecLiA_Qbw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YDecLiA_Qbw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It's was for the film. And Patton had almost nothing to do with D-Day, other than serving as a decoy by commanding a phantom/phony army that was to fool the Germans into thinking we were landing at a different set of much more heavily defended beaches in the Pali de Calais area of France (instead of Normany)...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And it was much more like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-ZaMsYL1Uo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-ZaMsYL1Uo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Actually, it was much bloodier and on a larger scale, but still a pretty good taste of hell...

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                Sniper
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wallyg
                My Fellow Americans:

Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our Allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far.

And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer:

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest -- until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas, whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them -- help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.

Many people have urged that I call the nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.

Give us strength, too -- strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.

And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.

And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade. Let not the keeness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment -- let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogances. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace -- a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

Thy will be done, Almighty God.

Amen.

Franklin D. Roosevelt - June 6, 1944

Beautiful!!! He was a reflection of our country that WAS deeply religious. If he was our president today, he would be labeled a war mongering religious nut.
                https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ODShowtime
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

The whole thing truly boggles the mind.

Nick, that scene made a pretty big impression on me the first time I saw it back in the day.

There's a reason why they tried to send mostly green troops on that mission.
                  gnaw on it

Comment

• ODShowtime
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    If he was our president today, he would be labeled a war mongering religious nut.
                    false
                    gnaw on it

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Beautiful!!! He was a reflection of our country that WAS deeply religious. If he was our president today, he would be labeled a war mongering religious nut.
                      FDR was anything but "deeply religious," and how could a guy leading a nation that was attacked, then had war declared upon it, be called a "warmonger?" Though some extreme conservative isolationists may have tried...

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                        Sniper
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        FDR was anything but "deeply religious," and how could a guy leading a nation that was attacked, then had war declared upon it, be called a "warmonger?" Though some extreme conservative isolationists may have tried...
                        You're right Nick, about FDR being religious. I forgot that he was a Freemason. I also forgot that he let Japan bomb us, and he took us to war with Germany, a country that never did nothing to us. I stand corrected. Happy Birthday!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You're right Nick, about FDR being religious. I forgot that he was a Freemason.

Freemasons are a religion now?

I also forgot that he let Japan bomb us,
                          Oh, so now the guy you were so dewy over that you were wanking to his speech, because he threw out God in it a couple of times, is now a cynical "inside job" bastard that just "let the Japanese bomb us?."

Yeah, um, okay...

and he took us to war with Germany, a country that never did nothing to us. I stand corrected. Happy Birthday!
                          Yeah super-genius, the Germans never did anything to us BUT FUCKING DECLARE WAR ON US AFTER PEARL HARBOR!

Yeah, those innocent, sweet Nazis...

Another dolt falls flat on his face with the "The War on Terra' is just like WWII" fraudanalogy...

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

he took us to war with Germany, a country that never did nothing to us.
                            Germany declared war on us AFTER Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.

Plus, by this point the combined forces of these two (plus the Italians, at least in theory) constituted an ACTUAL threat to the United States.

As opposed to ANY war after WWII, where not a single one of those countries ever were a threat to the US at all.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                              Sniper
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              Freemasons are a religion now?

Oh, so now the guy you were so dewy over that you were wanking to his speech, because he threw out God in it a couple of times, is now a cynical "inside job" bastard that just "let the Japanese bomb us?."

Yeah, um, okay...

Yeah super-genius, the Germans never did anything to us BUT FUCKING DECLARE WAR ON US AFTER PEARL HARBOR!

Yeah, those innocent, sweet Nazis...

Another dolt falls flat on his face with the "The War on Terra' is just like WWII" fraudanalogy...
                              in 1993, Bin Laden declared a "Fatwah" or a "Holy War" on us after the the first WTC bombing, GENIUS! That was way before we went to Iraq.

I can't wait until the 2008 election. I hope a Democrat wins. That way we all can come together and win this war on terror. You guys will never give Bush the benefit of the doubt, like the way you'll give a Democrat. The reason the Democrat's have not cut of the funds for the war, is because they know we are in a war on terror. Just like the Republicans pander to their base, the Democrats do as well. There is no way they can get million dollar donations from liberal billionaires, like George Soros, Peter Lewis and 95% of Hollyweird by supporting this war. I don't know what's in the water you guys drink, but your partisan stuff gets us nowhere. Were you liberals this mad when Clinton/Gore attacked a sovereign nation like Kosovo? No WMD'S, they never attacked us, and we went against the UN. I was for that military action too! But I don't remember Barbra Streissand and Danny Glover criticizing Clinton/Gore for killing the Red Cross workers, bombing the Chinese Embassy and killing 1,000's of "innocent Serbs." We can't pick and choose what war we support. Glad I'm from a military familiy that believes in both parties. You should try being a fair minded guy. or do you want to end up like FORD? GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!

Comment

Working...