PDA

View Full Version : RACING CARS... Is That A Sport?

blonddgirl777
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Last week end was the Montréal Grand Prix...

The city beats on exotic cars, trophy wives, Budweiser girls, Champagne, beer, T&A, etc...

Personally, I don't consider that event (or racing a formula 1) a sport...

I know it takes lots of sharpness, testosterone, guts, accuracy, good health... but really, is that considered a sport?

What do you say?

chi-town324
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
of course its a sport

DrMaddVibe
06-12-2007, 09:56 PM
What you saw...yes! That bullshit NASCAR redneck roulette...no!

knuckleboner
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
it's an activity, not a sport.

horse racing, however IS a sport. for the horse. not the jockey...

POJO_Risin
06-13-2007, 10:22 AM
It's a competition...

and competitions aren't necesarily sport...

like the fucking spelling B...

Do you have to be an athlete to drive a car? Being in shape helps...

but nobody's going to confuse Tony "Santa Claus" Stewart as an athlete...

competition...not a sport...

ALinChainz
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
"Ok dudes, I have the perfect strategy for today's race ... now listen close ... LEFT!"

BITEYOASS
06-13-2007, 12:02 PM
If it envolves off-road racing, dirt tracks, demolition derby or monster trucks. Then they are motor sports IMO.

PlexiBrown
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
RACING CARS... Is That A Sport?

No, and neither is golf, bowling or shooting pool. ESPN thinks everything is a sport. They actually have "professional eating". Pretty soon playing pinball will be considered a sport.

thome
06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok, here is the scoop, lay it down upon the masses, thome !

Yea Tho: If it has a odds spreadsheet and a book is offered up.

Tis, a sport then. Even if it is competition fukking.

So let it be written,yea tho, so let it be done.

chi-town324
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
No, and neither is golf, bowling or shooting pool. ESPN thinks everything is a sport. They actually have "professional eating". Pretty soon playing pinball will be considered a sport. Golf not a sport? CMON

Dan
06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
No.

VanHalener
06-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Pretty soon playing pinball will be considered a sport.:lol: Where do I sign up?

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
...they are motor sports IMO.
I agree

BITEYOASS
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Seriously who the fuck would stop a monotonous 200 lap oval track race due to rain? Is it fuckin baseball or something. Gimmie dirt, crashes, shitty weather and some demolition, then you got yourself a fuckin race.

BITEYOASS
06-14-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd give my left nut to go to the Baja 1000.

m_dixon1984
06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
It's as much a sport as baseball, in my opinion. Being in great shape and athletic by nature are a sure bonus but having natural talent can make up for shortcomings in those areas. Same with racing. The general rule of thumb is that a person in fantastic physical conditioning will be able to withstand the grueling 2+ hours in a hot cockpit while being subjected to high G forces. Natural talent can make up for being in shape but being athletic can sure help.

I also think auto racing meets the definition of sport:

sport (GAME) Show phonetics
noun
1 [C] a game, competition or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job.

M

blonddgirl777
06-17-2007, 12:26 AM
No, and neither is golf, ...

Certainly NOT!!!

When I hear those baby boomers saying "Golf is such a great sport... it makes you walk..." :rolleyes:

Gimme a break!
You want sport; get off your ass and MOVE! ;)

blonddgirl777
06-17-2007, 12:28 AM
... ESPN thinks everything is a sport. They actually have "professional eating"...

Invented by fat people as an excuse... to be fat :confused:

Only in America... :o
L.O.L.

Nitro Express
06-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Last week end was the Montréal Grand Prix...

The city beats on exotic cars, trophy wives, Budweiser girls, Champagne, beer, T&A, etc...

Personally, I don't consider that event (or racing a formula 1) a sport...

I know it takes lots of sharpness, testosterone, guts, accuracy, good health... but really, is that considered a sport?

What do you say?

You would be amazed at the physical stamina required to drive a race car. It's not going down the interstate on cruise control by any means. In a Daytona stock car or an Indy car they are pulling some seriouse G forces where the blood is constantly being pulled down from your brain. The drivers actually workout so their cardiovascular system is in tip top condition.

I would say race car driving is way more physical than playing PGA golf and that is considered a sport so is curling.

Redballjets88
06-17-2007, 04:01 AM
yeah and the constant turning kills the arms, plus racing injuries are serious shit

blonddgirl777
06-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
You would be amazed at the physical stamina required to drive a race car. It's not going down the interstate on cruise control by any means. In a Daytona stock car or an Indy car they are pulling some seriouse G forces where the blood is constantly being pulled down from your brain. The drivers actually workout so their cardiovascular system is in tip top condition...

That's what "they" say... :rolleyes: :o

blonddgirl777
06-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
... racing injuries are serious shit

Have you seen THE crash :confused:

Pretty bad... but amazingly, the driver got off with only a twisted ankle! :eek:

blonddgirl777
06-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
... curling.

Whaaaat is that :confused: :rolleyes:

bastardog
06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Is a motor sport.

blonddgirl777
06-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by bastardog
Is a motor sport.

There ya go!

We can close this thread now... ;)

chi-town324
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
thank god!

blonddgirl777
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
No... Thank bastardog!

Redballjets88
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
so hows heavy MTL this time of year?

blonddgirl777
06-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
so hows heavy MTL this time of year?

Hot, Hot, Hot!

June 24th is Quebecer's day... a 3 day week-end AND an excuse (as if we needed one) to get drunk!

On July, 10th "TOOL" will be in concert... cant wait!

DLRDUDE
06-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Whaaaat is that :confused: :rolleyes:

Fuckin stupid that's what Curling is
It's like a big shuffleboard game where one person pushes a big disc and there are two people scuffing the surface trying to guide it to a target and knock the other teams disc out of the way.

FUCK! I'm embarrassed for even knowing that shit. It's an olympic sport at that

blonddgirl777
06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DLRDUDE
... FUCK! I'm embarrassed for even knowing that shit. It's an olympic sport at that

L.O.L... you should be!

I am not familiar at all with that "sport" :cool: because it is really not popular among the French Canadians...

But I remember seing it sometimes on TV, as a kid (about 4-5 yrs old) and being scared of it!
The way they moved was too weird for me... I remember wondering; "Why are they brooming that ice at 100 miles/hour?"

That sport is very, very W.A.S.P.!

Formule 1 is very, very... French! :cool:

BITEYOASS
06-28-2007, 11:27 AM
L.O.L... you should be!

I am not familiar at all with that "sport" :cool: because it is really not popular among the French Canadians...

But I remember seing it sometimes on TV, as a kid (about 4-5 yrs old) and being scared of it!
The way they moved was too weird for me... I remember wondering; "Why are they brooming that ice at 100 miles/hour?"

That sport is very, very W.A.S.P.!

Or very anglophone as you would probably say. Ontario has a lot of those curling clubs as well as in the arctic provinces. Most of the clubs in the US are in Minnesota (where the national team is BTW), Wisconsin and Michigan. The oldest one in the US believe it or not is the Detroit Curling club.

blonddgirl777
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Or very anglophone as you would probably say. Ontario has a lot of those curling clubs as well as in the arctic provinces. Most of the clubs in the US are in Minnesota (where the national team is BTW), Wisconsin and Michigan. The oldest one in the US believe it or not is the Detroit Curling club.

Hmmm... you know awfully a lot about that sport!
L.O.L.

BITEYOASS
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I like to watch the rather dull sports in the winter olympics sometimes. As well as the absolutely dangerous ones. :D

BITEYOASS
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Hmmm... you know awfully a lot about that sport!
L.O.L.

Of course, it was founded in Scotland and I'm part scottish. Heck I probably have some distant relatives in the Toronto area since my Great Grandmother and her parents were seperated from the rest of the family and wound up in Chicago.

Yeah, I know your gonna say that the scottish are so boring that they make the English seem like party animals.

On a side note, those curling stones are fuckin dangerous! They could land on your foot or break the ice. Plus if you ever watch the Beatles movie "Help!", then you'll realize the danger involved in Curling! LOL :D

blonddgirl777
06-30-2007, 01:14 AM
... those curling stones are fuckin dangerous! They could land on your foot or break the ice. Plus if you ever watch the Beatles movie "Help!", then you'll realize the danger involved in Curling! LOL :D

See... THAT's why I was scared of it, as a kid! :eek: