PDA

View Full Version : This is the year Phillies fans! (For our 10,000th loss...)

fryingdutchman
06-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Ahhh....the Philadelphia Phillies.

My team...who I've followed since I was playing tee-ball. The team I screamed myself hoarse for in 1980 when they won it all.

The team that had Mike Schmidt, who I idolized to the point that I cut out self-adhesive number "20's" to put on my batting helmet so it looked just like the one he wore.

A team that has seen legendary players come and go...and a team that has placed its fair share of players into the pantheon of greatness in Cooperstown.

And yet, they now stand on the precipice of a dubious milestone.

10,000 losses in franchise history. A blurb from earthimes.org:

PHILADELPHIA, June 12 Fans of the Philadelphia Phillies are bracing for an approaching milestone -- the team is 14 losses from being the first to amass 10,000 losses.

The team, which only took home one World Series title in its history -- in 1980 -- has lost more games than any other team in professional sports during its 125 years of operation, the Elias Sports Bureau said, and is rapidly approaching the 10,000-loss mark, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"I didn't know this until a week ago," Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel said Monday. "It means they have had a team here a long time. I don't think we need to celebrate it, though." The Phillies have a long, if uncelebrated, history of losing benchmarks: the team lost at least 103 games each year from 1938 to 1942 and in 1962 the team held a 6 1/2- game lead in the National League before it lost the pennant by losing 10 of its final 12 games.

"We might be first to 10,000, but we are first in something," Glen Macnow, a host at WIP-AM in Philadelphia and the co-author of "The Great Philadelphia Fan Book," said in the Times article.

So there you have it. Sickening....saddening....MADDENING!

Charlie Manuel is a fucking idiot. He's been the manager for how many seasons now? And he "didn't know this until a week ago"????

Other teams with a history equal in duration to the Phillies aren't even close to 10,000 losses.

Any other frustrated, suffering Phillies fans out there?

What do you think?

sacreen
06-13-2007, 08:09 AM
It seems all the Philly teams suck anymore. When it comes down to the wire, they choke.

BITEYOASS
06-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Guess the Tigers are gonna help you taste the bitterness today! LOL But hey, at least your not the Cubs.

Antman
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
They won today 8-4. One more loss and they make history.

fryingdutchman
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
This is the way they'll open the 2nd half of the season....

fryingdutchman
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh...and completely unrelated...

Ryan Howard sucked moose cock at the homerun derby.

I'm not diggin' his sophomore slump.

chi-town324
07-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Ryan Howard will still jack out close to 50 HR'S

fryingdutchman
07-16-2007, 05:47 AM
And there you have it!!!

10,000 losses....courtesy of the St. Louis Cardinals.

FUCK SCOTT ROLEN!

:D

At least it's over with now, and Adam Eaton gets the distinction of being the asterisk in the annals of sports history as the starting pitcher for their 10,000th loss.

Of course, I think I'd rather have an asterisk for that than the one that Bonds should be getting....

Redballjets88
07-16-2007, 05:59 AM
bonds should be stopped at 754 no matter how many homeruns he hits after that mark for punishment for cheating

Redballjets88
07-16-2007, 06:00 AM
i hate how people are calling him the best ever and such. 7 years ago no one cared about him. he was barry bonds the guy that can steal bases and hits a decent amount of hrs a yr. then he roided up a bit more and hit 70 homers in a yr so now he is the best ever.

Mr. Vengeance
07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm so sick of hearing about it as a fan...I'm glad we just got past it.

I'm sure that the Philapologists will blame Bobby Abreu for the 10,000 losses too....