X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Gibson Ushers in Digital Guitars

BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Digital guitar set to rock and roll
    13:59 AEST Tue May 4 2004

AP - As Gibson Guitar Corp launches a new digital model, company CEO Henry Juszkiewicz can close his eyes and almost hear the music.

"The defining moment will be when a certain lick in a popular song is out there, and it can't be done with anything else but a digital guitar," Juszkiewicz says.

"It only takes one example to really inspire people."

That, Juszkiewicz hopes, will usher in the age of the digital guitar - much the same way as the Beatles and Rolling Stones inspired a generation of young people to pick up a standard electric guitar in the 1960s.

"It opens a whole new palette of possibilities," Juszkiewicz says. "It's a little bit like hearing stereo as opposed to mono."

Juszkiewicz knows guitars. A Harvard MBA who played in garage rock bands, he bought Gibson with two buddies for $US5 million when it was struggling in 1986 and built it into a company with annual sales of $US250 million ($A347.08 million) in 2001. At one point, Gibson had fewer than 60 employees. Today, Juszkiewicz says it has 3,000 worldwide.

In the waiting room of his office at Gibson's Nashville headquarters, the walls are lined with guitars and photos of Sting, Neil Diamond, BB King, Madonna, Hank Williams Jr and Brooks & Dunn. His secretary answers the telephone wearing dark lingerie and black boots.

The advantages of the digital guitar come down to sound and control. For 70 years, the electric guitar pickup has translated string vibrations into an electrical signal fed to an amplifier. The player can control the tone and volume, but output is limited to a mono or stereo signal. The signal itself is noisy by today's standards, and stray frequencies often cause an annoying hum.

"Some of the guitar pickups popular today go back to the 1920s," Juszkiewicz said. "We have not changed a lot in terms of the instrument."

The digital guitar uses computer chips to clean up the signal - Juszkiewicz describes the new sound as traditional but "on steroids."

It also allows the player to control the sound of each string. For example, the guitarist can have a heavy metal crunch on the low strings, medium distortion on the middle strings and a clean sound on the high strings.

"You'll be able to record all these different sounds and textures. It's unbelievable, I think," said Dave Cleveland, a Nashville session guitarist who planned to buy one of the new instruments.

"It's going to revolutionise the whole recording part of guitar playing."

Cleveland said technology already exists to do some of the same things as the digital guitar, but it's bulky, inconvenient and limited.

"With this, you're getting the sound of the pickups and can run analog into a regular guitar amp, plus you can monitor everything through the guitar. It's like having a mini recording studio," he said.
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Fuck hey ?? What do you all think of that ??
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
        His secretary answers the telephone wearing dark lingerie and black boots.

Interesting article.

So is she just wearing dark lingerie or did the reporter get her kit off or what?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

that's my kind of secretary!
          Originally posted by flappo
          i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
          translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

So we are talking about a supposed history making change to guitar pickups, and Sesh is mainly worried about the secretaries lingerie !

LMAO !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

There's always some stooge out there proposing their electromagnetic "string-to-digital" conversion solution as being the best, and I haven't seen any of them produce the claimed results yet.

Digital signal conversion involves a lag-time in the signal chain which is slower then your picking hand PLUS the slowdown of any string response sounds like a bad amp, or one with bad capacitors.

I haven't seen the "new" Gibson digital solution, but they're all pretty much based on the Roland hex pickup model which IMO sucks and is way too slow - I believe it's still a miserable 85millisecond delay, which to the normal untrained, unmusical ear is about the speed you hear a slammed-shut car door in a parking structure echo from the other side of the lot.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Thanks GAR, I didnt know anything about them. That article made it sound exciting. 85 milliseconds is a big delay ! That would be very disconcerting when you are playing..
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                  So we are talking about a supposed history making change to guitar pickups, and Sesh is mainly worried about the secretaries lingerie !

LMAO !
                  The essential difference between being a musician and being a rock guitarist...

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

What if you like both the technology and the lingerie ?
                    Are you like a crossover artist ?? :p
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

FUCK ANYTHING DIGITAL! ANALOG RULES!!!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I tend to Agree ..
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

I agree too, nothing beats a couple cabinets and heads full on.

But you know what I've always wanted?

I wished like a lot of people since the synth guitar systems came out, that you could have just one Universal standard for a MIDI pickup.

I mean, you can interchange the thing from guitar to guitar, its active enough to track the string response fast enough like analog, and until a new system comes out and its an OPEN standard much the way some computer OS's are, its never gonna happen the same way you can just take ONE universal guitar cord and plug into any universal guitar amp.

Its been a standard now that way for analog pickups for over 60 years. You'd think someone would have figured this shit out by now in the digital age. Fucking LAME.

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

MIDI and guitar. Two words that should *NOT* be used in the same sentence..
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I'm against all this bullshit from the start. Just pick up the guitar and play the sum bitch.

Now, back to the lingerie thing......I'll forego calling the office and just drop in on them and offer her a job with a future.

Comment

Working...