X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddie78
    Head Fluffer
    • Nov 2004

God Bless Edward Van Halen!

Without his talent & brilliance, this board would not exist.
    It baffles me how little respect is shown to the man that gave you all your favorite albums & redefined the guitar in a hard rock context.
    Ed created the entire foundation, he wrote the songs.
    It all started with Edward, not Dave, not Al, not Michael Anthony.
    Would Jim Dandy, i mean David Lee Roth, (just kidding, folks) have a career without ED?
    Doubtful.
    For Dave to be entertaining, he needed some actual songs to back up the atttude.
    Dave was the icing on the cake from 78-84, but Ed was/is the whole fucking cake.
    Am i wrong, am i somehow misguided?
    Enlighten me.
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i love him from 78-84 but since then he has been a total dick
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: God Bless Edward Van Halen!

Originally posted by eddie78

Am i wrong, am i somehow misguided?
      Yes you are.

You're wrong because you think it was all Eddie. Without David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen probably would have never left Pasadena.

Why? clearly talent isn't the issue. But motivation is. And without DLR, Eddie's motivation has gone from steadily downhill (with Van Hagar) and into the toilet since the 1996 fiasco.

David Lee Roth is the only one who can light a fire under Eddie's ass. And I'm hoping enough of that fire will return to bring us a 7th Van HALEN album that will be worthy of the first four and better than 5 or 6. (let alone all that other shit)
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
        Veteran
        • Apr 2004

Wow, another new Guy!
        http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
        Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
        Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2004

Re: God Bless Edward Van Halen!

Dave was the icing on the cake from 78-84, but Ed was/is the whole fucking cake.
          simple question :
          if ed was/is the whole cake, why Van Hagar sounds so crappy then, hmm ?

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Re: Re: God Bless Edward Van Halen!

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
            simple question :
            Who is Sammy Hagar?
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
              Commando
              • Mar 2003

Who is Sammy Hagar?
              David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..
              "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• jgdrag
                Sniper
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
                simple question :
                see Steve Vai or Yngwie Malsteen

Comment

• eddie78
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Nov 2004

Malmsteen, not malsteen.
                  Neither Vai nor Yngwie can write an actual song people want to listen to.
                  Ed's brilliance lied within the fact he had ferocious technique & skill, but exceptional songwriting chops as well.
                  Vai utilized his infamous 12 hour a day guitar workout, while Eddie just played.
                  Listen to something like the intro to "Hear about it later," and how the melodys are later intricately weaved throughout the heavier sections of the song. Listen to how each overdub adds to the other guitar lines, instead of having no clear function.
                  Listen to his tone!
                  No one came close to the talent Edward had at his disposal.

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2006

Ed takes a lot of shit because he is a dick, he can't get along with anyone and he let Sammy Hagar join the band. Anyone who lets Sammy Hagar join their band deserves all of the shit that they get.
                    And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• eddie78
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Nov 2004

Interesting point.
                      Believe me, i felt like someone kicked me in the balls the day i heard the new single from 5150 on the radio.
                      After purchasing the cassette of VH mach II, i cursed Ed for letting Sammy castarate his sound with his cheesy high pitched wails & sing alongs.
                      But there is such a thing as perspective.
                      We all agree that 78-84 was what VH was all about.
                      I don't see the logic in shitting all over a guy who created at least 85 percent of what is heard on those records.

Comment

• Redballjets88
                        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i dont know about 85%....first off guitar is 25% of sound and he did write a lot of the bass lines so 40% at most. and although eddie had a lot to do with the sound Dave brought the attitude and charisma. when the band first hit the LA scene i n the mid 70's club owners called dave Van b/c they thought HE was Van Halen
                        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2006

I don't see the logic in shitting all over a guy who created at least 85 percent of what is heard on those records.
                          Most people don't shit on Ed for his music, his creativity, innovation and contribution to rock and rock guitar. The "shittng on" that he gets is something that he brought upon himself because of his behavior and also his treatment of people. Ed has done his share of "shitting on" people too. You are mixing up Ed the musician with Ed the person.
                          And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Malmsteen, not malsteen.
                            No it is FATsteen.

Ed's brilliance lied within the fact he had ferocious technique & skill, but exceptional songwriting chops as well.
                            No.

If he had been left alone to pursue a solo career, without the assistance of Uncle Dave and TED TEMPLEMAN, he would be in the same boat as Vai and Ygor.

Simply being a shredder does not mean you are a songwriter. I have known too many shred guys who could play amazing stuff, but could not songwrite their way out of their own ballsack.

Listen to something like the intro to "Hear about it later," and how the melodys are later intricately weaved throughout the heavier sections of the song. Listen to how each overdub adds to the other guitar lines, instead of having no clear function.
                            Blame Ted Templeman for that. He was the record producer, not spEd.

spEd could not produce a decent album to save his life.

No one came close to the talent Edward had at his disposal.
                            While I admire your enthusiasm, and I agree he has talent, I know of several axemeisters who easily surpass anything he has ever done as far as overall impact on rock music.

1. Originally he was 1/4 of the band. There were 3 other guys besides him.

2. Ted Templeman was person #5.

3. Don Landee (or whatever main engineer in the studio) was person #6.

4. The Mastering Engineer was person #7.

So at best, spEd was responsible for 1/7th of the what is heard on those records.

As I said before, sure he had talent, but one talented person alone doth not a great record make.

It takes a team to create a great record.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• thome
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2005

Then Properly Corrected by thome.

Neither Ed, Post Roth, nor Sammy Hagar ,can write an actual song people want to listen to.
                              Ed's brilliance lied within the fact he had ferocious technique & skill, with exceptional songwriting chops, when they are corrected and tuned and turned into the music for the ages by, David Lee Roth..The truth, will out....yea' tho..
                              I think correcting someones posts this way is lame, but fun.

After 40 some post you have made some sense.

I beilieve this -Quote- should be plastered nation wide.

Comment

Working...