PDA

View Full Version : Dave's 5150 head

indeedido
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't think I'm buying this story. Can't see Dave's band using these in '97 or now. 1959 plexi all the way.

From ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-Amplifier-Head_W0QQitemZ160131160428QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10171 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DAvid Lee Roth's Head!!! This Peavey 5150 toured with Dave for about 6 months about ten years ago.

Dave bought 8 full stacks and used only #1 and #2 stacks and this was the #1 Head. Auction is for head only. The tech changed out the tubes and I dont know what they are but they are awesome.

Setting's that were used on the tour are dotted on the front faceplate.

Dave was not with Eddie of course so he had the 5150 taken off under the grill so he wouldnt advertise for him.

Dave had ten different amps to try out for the tour and just loved the 5150 sound so he bought 8 stacks. 6 were for show. This was the #1 used.

Own a piece of Rock n Roll history!!! Daves Head!!!

BrownSound1
06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Well I know for a FACT that a few of Dave's guitarists have used 5150s, but not by choice. Terry Kilgore used 'em. Bart Walsh used 'em..so ten years ago these were probably Bart's.

Note: I can't remember if Brian Young used them or Marshall TSLs or DSLs. He now endorses Mojave amplifiers...a much more Plexi based amp.

Guitar Shark
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Well I know for a FACT that a few of Dave's guitarists have used 5150s, but not by choice.

Yo BS1... just curious what you mean by "not by choice"... are you suggesting that Dave required them to use 5150s or did you mean something different?

ELVIS
06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Hell no, thiat's a bunch of crap!

(Not you, counselor...;))

Someone else posted this crap tha last time this fool tried to rip someone off with that amp...

At that time I sent him a very nice email (LMAO) and I never recieved a reply...

:elvis:

ELVIS
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
I can't remember if Brian Young used them or Marshall TSLs or DSLs. He now endorses Mojave amplifiers...a much more Plexi based amp.

And he still probably sounds like crap...

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that, but he was NEVER worthy of David Lee Roth...

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
I think it's BS. Dave pretty much let's his guitarists choose what they want to use. If he doen't dig you at the audition he isn't interested. Dave never struck me as knowing much about guitar gear.

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 12:52 AM
I read an interview with James Brown who designed the 5150 series of amplifiers. He also designed the Joe Satriani amp.

He said what Ed wanted was balls to the wall to where you would have to dial back the gain. Mr. Brown said they were always tweaking the 5150 and there were many versions of it that never made it to market. They came up with a good crunch sound and decided to put that in the 5150 combo. That is where you can get some warmth out of a 5150 and I've heard big fans of Marshalls get a good tone happening with a 5150 combo. The circuit in that amp is tottaly different than the 5150 head.

Mr. Brown said they voiced the amps to Ed's ear and the combo was tweaked and voiced right at 5150 over a period of sevral months.

That amp can do classic VH pretty good as can the new Fender 5150 III. The secret is to stay out of the high gain channel and be in the crunch channel. I never used the clean channel anyways so I always had the crunch button pushed in.

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 12:56 AM
One reason the Peavey 5150 was never warmed up was Peavey was selling them to death metal guitar players more than the aging Van Halen fans. Eddie and Hartley Peavey had big go arounds on using 25 watt speakers because Hartley values reliability but Ed couldn't get his tone. Ed was pushing everything to the edge. Speakers, tubes, transformers. He sound is partly equipment ready to blow. Now how do you replicate that in something reliable? Kind of hard.

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
The person who can get great tone out of 5150's is Ted Nugent. He sounds better through those than his Fender Dual Showmans.

ELVIS
06-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I was looking for a good example of Ted's 5150 tone but I found this instead...

Too bad the sound sucks...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NNCAIGekXk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NNCAIGekXk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 03:41 AM
The best place to hear his tone is on the Full Frontal Nugity DVD. He's on top of his game and has a great band.

Nitro Express
06-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Not the best recording but the buzziness of the 5150 everyone hates is gone in Ted's sound. He uses stock Gibson guitars with the original pickups and he's playing stuff from the late 50's and 60's.

I have found 5150's are at their best with weaker humbuckers. The amp hates Strats and is deffinately a humbucker amp and likes old aged PAF styled pickups. The amp warms up and has a set of balls like you wouldn't believe. Is it an old Marshall? No.

Eddie's Booze
06-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
One reason the Peavey 5150 was never warmed up was Peavey was selling them to death metal guitar players more than the aging Van Halen fans. Eddie and Hartley Peavey had big go arounds on using 25 watt speakers because Hartley values reliability but Ed couldn't get his tone. Ed was pushing everything to the edge. Speakers, tubes, transformers. He sound is partly equipment ready to blow. Now how do you replicate that in something reliable? Kind of hard.

Easy....

http://web.telia.com/~u31704277/images/soldano3.jpg

:D

BrownSound1
06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Yo BS1... just curious what you mean by "not by choice"... are you suggesting that Dave required them to use 5150s or did you mean something different?

That's EXACTLY what I meant.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
That's EXACTLY what I meant.

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Guitar Shark
06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

LMFAO...

:p

rocknrolldork
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I read in a Brian Young interview that at least for awhile he did indeed have some 5150 heads he used with Dave. I'll see if I can find that link and post it here.

WelshJon
07-04-2007, 09:46 AM
The person who can get great tone out of 5150's is Ted Nugent. He sounds better through those than his Fender Dual Showmans.

If people can't get good tone out of an amp like a 5150 it's in their fingers, not the amp!!!

I've had a 5150 for 14 or so years and it's always sounded spot on.
As recently as last Friday night I had comments about its sound such as "OMG, I was going to buy a dual rec, but now I'm going to get one of those!!"

As for fizzy sounding, you've gotta get it up past 7 (power brake, multi fx in the loop to keep volume at bearable levels).
Smooth tone all the way :D

Nitro Express
07-05-2007, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Easy....

http://web.telia.com/~u31704277/images/soldano3.jpg

:D

I'm a huge fan of Mike Soldano. That's one cat I would love to talk cars and amps with! He company builds top notch stuff quality wise and he knows his shit. He was probably the first guy in the industry that stated you can get close to power tube saturation in the pre-amp if it's voiced right.

Nitro Express
07-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by WelshJon
If people can't get good tone out of an amp like a 5150 it's in their fingers, not the amp!!!

I've had a 5150 for 14 or so years and it's always sounded spot on.
As recently as last Friday night I had comments about its sound such as "OMG, I was going to buy a dual rec, but now I'm going to get one of those!!"

As for fizzy sounding, you've gotta get it up past 7 (power brake, multi fx in the loop to keep volume at bearable levels).
Smooth tone all the way :D

Exactly! Plus every knob really does something! It's not like an old Fender Bassman where you can turn the EQ knobs all over the place and they change the sound a little. One degree of a tweak on a 5150 will tottaly change the sound from great to awful. You have to dial in your amp and YES! run her hard!

I tell you though, my 5150 II is the most reliable amp I've ever owned. It's never let me down, she fires up and does her job and tubes seem to last forever in them.

rocknrolldork
07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Exactly! Plus every knob really does something! It's not like an old Fender Bassman where you can turn the EQ knobs all over the place and they change the sound a little. One degree of a tweak on a 5150 will tottaly change the sound from great to awful. You have to dial in your amp and YES! run her hard!

I tell you though, my 5150 II is the most reliable amp I've ever owned. It's never let me down, she fires up and does her job and tubes seem to last forever in them.

As far as reliability goes... Peavey's have always been tanks that run forever. I had a Renown that I beat the living shit out of nightly for years and it kept on ticking. I'm sure it's still being cranked by some kid in Southern IN/Northern KY. I still have an old ass small Peavey practice amp my kids use at times. Peavey PA stuff lasts forever too. The T-40 bass and T-60 guitars are awesome too.

Peavey has really upped their game in the past few years. It used to be that their stuff was just affordable and reliable. All of their amps have always been a little different to dial in the tone. A miniscule move of a knob can really scratch your tone. And they have always had great multiple mid adjustment options. It seems like ever since Hartley Peavey figured out tube amps are where it's really at, he totally stepped up his game. The Classic 50 with 1, 2 or 4 speakers, is a great amp. The only thing I don't care for on the 5150 I & II is that there is no pure clean channel. The tone is there, it's just not clean enough for my taste.

Eddie's Booze
07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm a huge fan of Mike Soldano. That's one cat I would love to talk cars and amps with! He company builds top notch stuff quality wise and he knows his shit. He was probably the first guy in the industry that stated you can get close to power tube saturation in the pre-amp if it's voiced right.

Soldano make amazing sounding amps. Mine is a 1996 Hot Rod 50+. I bought it used back in 2000 for 1200 pounds(in England) about $2400(with a flightcase for it).

Before that I had a 5150, I just could get a good sound out of it and it was buzzy as hell too.....

So I pissed off the guy in the shop where I bought it and said to him.......I want a decent sounding Amp....

Well he said to me "I have a used soldano here, come and check it out.....".

I go to the store a couple of days later and tried it for like 5 minutes.....it had to be mine.

It has the real old Vintage Fender/Marshall/Hiwatt sound right up to "Ultra High Gain".

I really like Eddie's Classic tone and Yngwie's tone and it has that.

Don't get me wrong the 5150 is a good amp for some people, just like a Marshall/fender/Mesaboogie is for other people.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS ALL ABOUT DOING GREAT SOUNDING GUITAR PLAYING(not just what toys you have).

Honestly a great guitar player can make the worst gear sound like $1,000,000.

right or wrong?

;)

Nitro Express
07-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I really don't care for the original 5150. I like the 5150 II. Less noisey (mine is very quiet but then I had a choke added and the filter caps replaced with bigger ones.). Smoother sound. You can go from vintage classic tone to modern high gain.

Nitro Express
07-06-2007, 02:56 AM
I've heard some good tones out of the cheapest gear. So yeah, a shit player is still going to sound like shit through a $10,000 vintage plexi.