X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Glasgow, Scotland, Today

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A burning car has been rammed into the terminal building of Glasgow Airport in Scotland, heightening terrorism fears with the UK already on alert over the discovery of two cars loaded with explosive materials in London.

Images from Glasgow airport showed the SUV-type vehicle ablaze next to the terminal building.

1 of 3 more photos » Police and witnesses described an SUV-style vehicle in flames being driven at full speed towards the building.

Two people were arrested at the scene, police said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear whether there were any injuries, although unconfirmed witness reports described a man on fire at the scene.

Images showed black smoke and flames rising from the vehicle just outside the building.

Witnesses said the car crashed into security barriers protecting an entrance to the airport's international arrivals terminal.

Jim Manson said he saw a car "with a couple of guys in it trying to push their way into the airport terminal building."

The vehicle "suddenly caught fire" as one of the two -- himself on fire -- tried to open up the back of the car, Manson told British television.

There was then a mini-explosion and the front of the terminal appeared to catch fire.

"Everyone just ran," Manson said. "We're absolutely terrified, you can imagine. The first thing on all our minds was: Is there an accident? Is there a terrorist attack?"

A witness told Sky News that a man had fled from the car as it struck the building and been immediately wrestled to the ground by police.

"The jeep is completely on fire and it exploded not long after. It exploded at the entrance to the terminal," witness Stephen Clarkson told the BBC.

"It may have been an explosion of petrol in the tank because it was not a massive explosion."

Don't miss
    Witnesses tell of airport horror
    Airport authorities said the airport, Scotland's busiest, had been evacuated and all flights suspended.

In London police were examining two cars filled with fuel, gas canisters and nails and studying CCTV footage for clues about the identities of those behind a suspected terrorist plot that could have killed hundreds.

Officers have a "crystal clear" CCTV image of a man "staggering" from the first car after parking it outside a West End nightclub, ABC News in the United States reported. Scotland Yard refused to comment.

New Prime Minister Gordon Brown went to Scotland Yard on Saturday morning for an update on the investigation from senior police.

A Downing Street spokesman told the Press Association: "It was a private meeting. Mr. Brown was briefed on the current security situation and thanked frontline staff."

Meanwhile, police increased patrols across the British capital in the hunt for what they said was a man seen running from one of the cars in the early hours of Friday.

British officials said hundreds of people could have been killed if the devices in the cars had been set off.

The first car was discovered parked near Piccadilly Circus; the second was found about an hour later, less than a kilometer away near Trafalgar Square.

Scotland Yard authorities said they believed the two incidents were connected.

London police said the second car -- containing fuel, gas canisters and nails -- was "clearly linked" to the first explosives-packed car found outside a nightclub on Haymarket.

A "considerable" amount of fuel and gas canisters, along with a "substantial quantity of nails," was found in the blue Mercedes-Benz 280E, said Peter Clarke, Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner.

He said the second device, like the first, was "potentially viable" but was rendered safe by police explosives officers.

"These vehicles are clearly linked," he said.

The first car was discovered about 1:30 a.m. when an ambulance crew called to treat an ill person noticed what appeared to be smoke inside the car and notified authorities.

The car was parked in front of the Tiger Tiger club on Haymarket, and the discovery prompted the closing of several streets until the vehicle was hauled off nine hours later.

"In the car, they found significant quantities of petrol together with a number of gas cylinders," Clarke said. He could not immediately say how much fuel was there.

"I can tell you it was in several large containers," Clarke said. "There were also a large number of nails in the vehicle."

He said explosives officers manually disabled "a potential means of detonation for the gas and the fuel in the vehicle," which preserved crucial forensic evidence for investigators. See photos of the investigation in action »

Clarke said it was too early to determine if the smoke the ambulance crew saw was an indication that the car bomb had been activated but failed to explode.

A cell phone was found as part of the device in the silver car, according to security sources with knowledge of the investigation, although it was not immediately known what role the phone may have played in the device. The sources said the device was apparently set up to be remotely detonated.

Metropolitan Police Counterterrorism Command officers are reviewing closed-circuit security camera video to see if they can determine who parked the car there, Clarke said.

Witness Daniel Weir said he was walking home from work when he noticed police had cordoned off the area around the nightclub and a nearby vehicle.

He snapped several photos, including one that showed a canister labeled "patio gas."

A second Mercedes was given a parking ticket on Cockspur Street at about 2:30 a.m. Friday (0130 GMT), Clarke said.

At about 3:30 a.m., Clarke said, the vehicle was taken to an underground car park at Hyde Park. Security sources earlier told CNN that workers who towed it thought the car smelled of petrol, and became suspicious because of the reports that petrol was among the explosive materials found in the first vehicle.

He called the discovery of the second bomb "troubling," but urged the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious behavior to authorities.
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

terrorist? or just weird happenstance?

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Link?
      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

cnn.com

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Nov 2004

It was either Saddam or Clinton.
          Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's obvious what this shit is all about. This shit is being staged in order to persuade Gordon Brown to be a good little poodle like Blair was.

The timing is painfully obvious. So is the inclusion of Glasgow, as Brown is one of those skirt wearing guys from the north.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The UK is under attack by the Keystone Terrorists...

Comment

• Amity75
                Groupie
                • Jan 2007

Glasgow Airport is 20mins away from my house. Fucking scumbags, today is the 1st day of the kids school summer holidays here and the airport would have been packed with young families. Put these 2 fucktards in a prison cell with a pig carcass.
                http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7...vesiggywx7.jpg

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Amity75
                  Glasgow Airport is 20mins away from my house. Fucking scumbags, today is the 1st day of the kids school summer holidays here and the airport would have been packed with young families. Put these 2 fucktards in a prison cell with a pig carcass.
                  Shit, I don`t know where you are Amity75, but I`m about 25 miles away down on the Ayrshire coast.

I go to Glasgow Airport 4 or 5 times a year to pick up and drop off relatives and this is scarey shit.
                  sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Amity75
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2007

I'm in Bellshill, just off the M8. This thing is scary.

Comment

• Redballjets88
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                      It's obvious what this shit is all about. This shit is being staged in order to persuade Gordon Brown to be a good little poodle like Blair was.

The timing is painfully obvious. So is the inclusion of Glasgow, as Brown is one of those skirt wearing guys from the north.
                      no, it was to pakistani men, not bush and cheney, sorry

Comment

• Amity75
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2007

I'm the same as you badguy, I'm there about half a dozen times a year and have walked through those doors. Good to see the nutjobs waiting on their Benidorm flights held the terrorists down.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Exactly, I was laughing at that earlier at the thought of a terrorist going up against Glasgow folk with a boxcutter.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They jumped out the burning jeep, one of them on fire, and tried to attack a policeman shouting Allah Allah whereupon half a dozen passengers kicked the fuck out of them.

Turns out one had a suicide explosive belt on so pretty brave of people to do that.

And FORD stop being so fucking stupid.

Cheers!

Comment

• Redballjets88
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Exactly, I was laughing at that earlier at the thought of a terrorist going up against Glasgow folk with a boxcutter.
                              haha yeah i used to live down the street from some scots, they are some tough people, they have the blood of william wallace running through them, you dont wanna fuck with that

Comment

Working...