X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theicecreamman
    Roadie
    • Jan 2005

Humbuckers

What are some good humbuckers that can help emulate brown sound? I was looking at the Charvel EVH series and it just said custom made humbucker. I know he dipped his humbuckers in hot wax. I have done this and it helps amplify harmonics very well.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Any goog copy of a original PAF humbucker will get your there. I like the Seymour Duncan 59 and Seth Lover.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• kentuckyklira
      Veteran
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Any goog copy of a original PAF humbucker will get your there. I like the Seymour Duncan 59 and Seth Lover.
      Dito. EVH waxed them cos back in the days pick ups tended to be a bit microphonic, and consider that Gibson´s QC was even worse back then than it is now. Shouldn´t be a problem with today´s PAF copies.
      http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

The truth is EVH used sevral different humbuckers over the years. If you look at the Oakland Fair Warning footage Eddie is getting great tone through what looks like a Dimarzio super distortion.

It all depends on the amp you are using. A hot amp like a 5150 or Soldano doesn't like high output humbuckers. They tend to like the weaker vintage humbuckers more. Those amps have so much gain on the front end using a weak artifically aged pickup really warms the tone up.

In the case of Marshalls, it depends on the model of the amp. It's a system. Your pickup has to match the particular amp you are using.

Comment

• kentuckyklira
          Veteran
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The truth is EVH used sevral different humbuckers over the years. If you look at the Oakland Fair Warning footage Eddie is getting great tone through what looks like a Dimarzio super distortion.

It all depends on the amp you are using. A hot amp like a 5150 or Soldano doesn't like high output humbuckers. They tend to like the weaker vintage humbuckers more. Those amps have so much gain on the front end using a weak artifically aged pickup really warms the tone up.

In the case of Marshalls, it depends on the model of the amp. It's a system. Your pickup has to match the particular amp you are using.
          Very true. Back in the late 70s/early 80s people (incl. me) tended to go for higher output pick ups because of all the noise and feedback involved in getting a good high gain sound. Nowadays, the quality of high gain amps and overdrive pedals has risen far enough to get you those sounds with lower output pick ups and little noise and no feedback.

I shiver thinking back about all the trouble we had boosting our old Marshalls without earsplitting feedback and a wall of white noise!
          http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• rustoffa
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Back in the mid-nineties, my electroharmonix deal got pissed on by a dog. Right after that, someone told me that I couldn't even pawn it after that! I explained calmly, (while pointing at some Sears equipment on the shelf) that I really didn't care about pawning talent boosters with that thing loafing around. Then the dipshit tells me he'll trade me his Mustang for the Sears equipment!! I calmy explained that there was already a boat, a car, and a dog in the two car garage....like, "I DON'T NEED ANOTHER CAR!"

He kinda laughed, and asked me about the Danelectro. I calmy explained that the dog seemed to like it, and how the dog probably liked shitty lipstick more than he did!!

Not long after that exchange, this other dipshit lambasted the cuntdition of my old yellow guitar. I calmly explained something like, "you wanted to see it....IT'S FUCKING OLD!!!....WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT??!! JUST FOR THAT? YOU CANT EVEN LOOK AT IT!!!...."

THEN???

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
              Very true. Back in the late 70s/early 80s people (incl. me) tended to go for higher output pick ups because of all the noise and feedback involved in getting a good high gain sound. Nowadays, the quality of high gain amps and overdrive pedals has risen far enough to get you those sounds with lower output pick ups and little noise and no feedback.

I shiver thinking back about all the trouble we had boosting our old Marshalls without earsplitting feedback and a wall of white noise!
              Nothing still sounds like a good guitar/vintage Marshall combination going flat out but you do bring up the reliability and noise nightmares. With the modern amps we have traded some of that great power amp and speaker distortion for reliability and consistancy. I have some vintage amps but what I'm taking to gigs is a modded 5150 II because I know it's going to fire up and work and I'm going to dial in a good tone with my setup. I've installed a choke in the power supply and some bigger filter caps. It gives the amp more reserve power and warms it up. I also bias the power amp tubes on the hot side and run Celestian 25 watt speakers.

What I have is a machine that can crap out very loud vintage rock tone and at a push of the button go high gain if you want.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

I have always liked Bill Lawrence pickups. But maybe that's because my sis was a sales rep for them and I got them at cost...(or free sometimes)
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• theicecreamman
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2005

Thanks for the help

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Hell. If you have some time and money, Stewart-Mac is now selling pickup components and winding machines. Roll your own and see what you get.

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

DiMarzio Evolution pickups kick ass. They are on the pricey side a bit though.

Comment

• theicecreamman
                        Roadie
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
                        DiMarzio Evolution pickups kick ass. They are on the pricey side a bit though.
                        I have the middle, bridge, and neck evos (all in green), but I am using them on a Jem replica. I haven't finished so I still haven't played with them yet.

What about Seymore Duncan
                        78? It's through their custom shop.
                        Last edited by theicecreamman; 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

They do have a warm sound to them. If the pickup has warmth and good harmonic response, then damn, that's it brother!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

They also come in Snot Green, Baby Shit Yellow, and Gay Pink. At least in the 80's they did. LOL!

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by theicecreamman
                              I have the middle, bridge, and neck evos (all in green), but I am using them on a Jem replica. I haven't finished so I still haven't played with them yet.
                              Makes me jealous. That'll make one hell of a guitar dude.

Comment

Working...