PDA

View Full Version : Tour or Album first?

delta5150
07-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Ok! so there's a rumour that a tour will start in September, let's cross our fingers and toes

Anyway, I'd prefer an album of new material, cos if the tour fucks up, there won't be a new album :D

Wawazat
07-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Start an album rumour.

Jérôme Frenchise
07-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Wawazat
Start an album rumour.

Good one. :D

If there ever was an album, it would have to be DOUBLE.
Damn, we've been waiting long enough. :mad:

chi-town324
07-05-2007, 07:47 AM
at this point either one

Wawazat
07-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Good one. :D

If there ever was an album, it would have to be DOUBLE.
Damn, we've been waiting long enough. :mad:

Hey Jérôme :)

CVH's "Physical Graffiti"

about time :mad:

binnie
07-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Tour first, so they all get used to playing together again and feel like a band.

I think that would make the album better, remember they used to record off the studio floor, they would need to be tight and that comes with touring.

As for a double album, no thanks. I'd take 10 killer songs over two discs of slightly lesser material.

tajmahal
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I would certainly have an album first. If they tour first they would need to get along for all 40 dates. Somehow, I doubt they would want to make an album after the tour. A double album is usually a bad idea, because sales are never great for a double album. They should release an album in October of 10-12 songs and another album in May'08 followed by another tour in South America or Europe. If they don't release a studio album they should can any ideas of a 3rd greatest hits instead they should release a live album from the 1984 tour with a special edition limited release double live album.

binnie
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by tajmahal
If they don't release a studio album they should can any ideas of a 3rd greatest hits instead they should release a live album from the 1984 tour with a special edition limited release double live album.

That is definately the truth.

Who the hell is going to buy a third greatest hits?

What do people think about them re-releasing the six pack with demos and unreleashed material? Would that be ripping us off? Or would you all just prefer that kind of stuff in a box-set?

tajmahal
07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I was really mad initially that there was not unreleased matereial or different versions of songs on the remasters. I remember reading on this site that DLR was interested in the Chemical Brothers and utilizing their style in new VH music. This would hae been very interesting to see what they could do to some of the old classics as bonus material on the remasters. I think the reason there was no new music is EVH did not want to release any new material because he would use it for a new album which I can understand. I also think this is the reason why he seems to play the same old riffs whenever he plays live on any oneoff appearances.

07-05-2007, 09:12 AM
If the tour is a success there will be a new studio album released pretty quickly, as the record company will demand it to sustain the buzz. Dave and van halen have at least 7 songs from the 2000/2002 sessions they can dust down. In 1996 they wrote and recorded me wise magic and can`t get this stuff no more, in a few weeks.

devildogou812
07-06-2007, 12:51 AM
YES! Just think what an album full of Me Wise Magic's would sound like. ;0)

LstLkly2Succeed
07-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I'll honestly take the tour anyday. While a new album would be wonderful, I'm one of the people who missed/wasn't alive to see them tour back in the 80's, so I just want that opportunity to see them all together. I'm sure if they manage to all function on the tour the album will be soon to follow anyway.

eddie78
07-06-2007, 01:31 AM
I tend to think this will implode & no record will follow, if they tour first.
Ed & Dave are ruled by their egos & they will not function for an extended period of time.
I am hoping they hit Boston before said implosion, though.
I think a boxset or another best of is far more likely than new material.

Don Corleone
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I know Al had the Oakland footage stabalised sometime ago - I'd like to see that come out as a DVD.

LstLkly2Succeed
07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by eddie78
I tend to think this will implode & no record will follow, if they tour first.
Ed & Dave are ruled by their egos & they will not function for an extended period of time.
I am hoping they hit Boston before said implosion, though.
I think a boxset or another best of is far more likely than new material.

I guess if we're looking at the past, then I got to admit that it's true. But if they were able to mature up enough to get together to tour, maybe they're mature enough to make an album. I think they just sort of need to warm up with the tour, and get the energy back anyway. I mean, if they fight during the making of the album it will never get released and they won't go on tour. That would be terrible.

WACF
07-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Is there enough interest out there for a full album in today's market...from people other than us nut cases?

IMO....they blew their load with the 2 CD best of with Sammy.
You can not make a few more tunes and repackage a Greatest Hits again.

This is what they have to do:

Record a few tracks and make them available online.
Get them out to radio...Terrestial and Satellite(I know XM and I am sure Sirius would be more than happy to record a live in studio set and interview)...do the radio show circuit and a few late shows.

Then tour.

Halen High
07-07-2007, 02:39 AM
There is definately enough interest in a DLR-fronted Van Halen to justify releasing a new album.

VH should put out a new full length studio album to give younger generation rock fans a dose of the CVH sound, but with a new school twist. A catchy, hard-rocking single with a cool video, followed by the album, then tour, is the way to do it.

The Wolfgang factor will also help bring new younger fans to the band, and these fans want a VH album 'of their own', rather than just those from the Classic era.

Halen High
07-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
I know Al had the Oakland footage stabalised sometime ago - I'd like to see that come out as a DVD.

Very interesting. Sounds like they have plans for this down the track. Other than a new album, putting out a DVD of the Oakland shows would also generate new interest in the tour. Would also be pretty fucking cool for us old timers!

But with the Wolfman in the band they really need something new. To make a statement about who they are now, while bringing back the classics to show rock fans what we've been missing since 1984.

Dan
07-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Album First and then Tour.

07-07-2007, 11:32 AM
If this tour is completed and a successful album follows, there may be a resurgance with Dave`s solo material. I would like to see dvd comperlations of Dave`s promo video`s, late 1980`s solo tours with steve vai, and maybe a live album from that period. I`ve seen clips of the stage production and Daves performances, promo videos from the skyscraper period, and it looks amazing. Dave has been on a low budget with everthing since at least the mid 1990`s

Little Lamont
07-07-2007, 11:44 AM
The next thing we'll get from Eddie will probably be another stomp box or some shit.

LstLkly2Succeed
07-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Halen High

The Wolfgang factor will also help bring new younger fans to the band, and these fans want a VH album 'of their own', rather than just those from the Classic era.

I think that this is something that sounds like it may work, but in the long run is just a nice idea. For example, Rush and Meatloaf just put out new albums. Almost none of my friends went rushing out to the stores excited about it, in fact the most I could probably get out of them is "oh yea, I think my dad bought that." In general they're not interested in hearing music by old men at all, no matter how talented and wonderful those old men are. My only friends interested in buying the new albums are the ones that were already fans and at least had some classic albums already. Wolfgang may have some draw, but the average person my age will probably not even hear about the new (theoretical) VH album because they're just not interested in it.

bantonelli
07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Album makes more sense....from a business $$ standpoint as well as a fan standpoint...it would be a win-win situation.....BUT it doesn't look like this is the way things will go down...unless, all the old vaulted material they did with Dave that was never released, finally comes out of the closet and this is what gets used as an album, But then again...it probably won't, unless they are willing to pay royalties to Bassplayer who was involved in those sessions. ???

letsrock
07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
For either of these to work there has to be communication between the camps.

Isnt it funny how VH always had more than one camp.

ThrillsNSpills
07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by binnie
That is definately the truth.

Who the hell is going to buy a third greatest hits?

Email Rhino and tell them.

Because that was in the works to accompany the tour initially.

letsrock
07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Still the fact remains. A tour hasnt been anounced.

Dan
07-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
Still the fact remains. A tour hasnt been anounced.

Maybe in two weeks We might hear some Dates.

Viking
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm a greedy motherfucker who's waited 22 years for this shit: I want both, and I don't care in what order. :killer:

Blackflag
07-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Neither one will happen. The End.

Viking
07-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Ah, the Oracle Of Optimism has spoken. :rolleyes: :D