X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

VH Fools through a stock Epiphone amp and a Weber attentuator

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Nice..have you heard one of those amps with the Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade? Unfuckingbelievable. Sounds like that or better even without the attenuator...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

No. I put Mercury Magnetics transformers in my 5150 II and one of their chokes in the power supply. Warmed it right up and made the amp a keeper!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
        Nice..have you heard one of those amps with the Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade? Unfuckingbelievable. Sounds like that or better even without the attenuator...
        Build a little isolation boot and mike the speaker and run it to the PA board and there ya go! LOL! Even the cheap stock transformers are getting the vibe. It screams!

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

That was... GREAT. What is this tank??

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

It's a tottaly stock Epiphone tube Jr. amp with a Weber 25W attentionator running between the output transformer and 8" speaker. A Fulltone OCD peddle is being used to increase the harmonics and dynamics of the tone. The overdrive is completely off and a Marshall digital delay is being used.

Basically the distortion is the amp and the speaker. The peddles are just shaping the sound.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Here's the same dude playing through a 1987 plexi reissue with a master volume added. No resistive load being used this time. Just the Fulltone OCD peddle and Marshall digital delay peddle.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Here's the same dude playing through a 1987 plexi reissue with a master volume added. No resistive load being used this time. Just the Fulltone OCD peddle and Marshall digital delay peddle.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                  Veteran
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

That's not bad.... not bad at all.
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2007

No. I put Mercury Magnetics transformers in my 5150 II and one of their chokes in the power supply. Warmed it right up and made the amp a keeper!
                    Mercury transformers are what soldano use....

How much did it cost you?
                    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
                      Mercury transformers are what soldano use....

How much did it cost you?
                      Around $500 for both transformers and the choke. I picked the amp up for around $500. I also put a wide sweep bias pot in. What all this does is take the harshness out of the amp and smooths it up. A lot of people think the crunch channel is a Marshall. It is not. The voicing is stock Peavey but the bias is hotter, the power supply has more reserve power than before and Mercury Magnetics transformers are the best available. They smooth things up.

I've been running my amp hard for two years and no breakdowns of any kind. I don't use anykind of hotplate either. It's sounds good at low and high volumes now. You can practice in your bedroom with it and slap the audience good in the club with it. Very versitile and reliable.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I only got to play a Soldano SLO 100 in a music store. It would be interesting to have one on hand and compare it to my modded 5150 II. I know Mike Soldano uses top notch components and he knows his shit about tube amps. Not too many people making quality transformers now. They require special steel and you have to have it made in special runs. I know the guys who started Matchless had a real nighmare time hunting down good core steel for their transformers.

The Peavey transformers are fine but I would deffinately still get a Mercury Magnetics choke and put it in the power supply. It really helps the amp when the power amp starts sucking juice.

I would do a choke mod and a wide sweep bias pot mod first. Then if you want to spend $400 for a little more smoothness, flip for the transformers. If you are trying to get a browner tone you need those.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

But fuck, buy a Epiphone head for $100. Get the Mercury Magnetics upgrade kit for $250. Run a good speaker cabinet with a Webber attenuator and run the line out from that to the PA or mike the cab or do both and mix the signals.

I think those little cheap amps sound better than some of the big high powered stuff. Dime the fucker and use what ever coloration you want peddle wise.

I wish this shit was available when I was in high school.

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2007

Around $500 for both transformers and the choke. I picked the amp up for around $500. I also put a wide sweep bias pot in. What all this does is take the harshness out of the amp and smooths it up. A lot of people think the crunch channel is a Marshall. It is not. The voicing is stock Peavey but the bias is hotter, the power supply has more reserve power than before and Mercury Magnetics transformers are the best available. They smooth things up.

I've been running my amp hard for two years and no breakdowns of any kind. I don't use anykind of hotplate either. It's sounds good at low and high volumes now. You can practice in your bedroom with it and slap the audience good in the club with it. Very versitile and reliable.
                            $1000 for the Amp and the Mercury transformers is a fucking steal, man. Those Mercury transformers are really quiet(no line noise).

Perhaps you already know this but Mike Soldano never pushes any of the components in his amps past their capacity either.

My soldano is 11 years old now.....no problems with it....original tubes.

Ultra reliable. Reliability is something ALOT of people overlook with tube Amps.
                            http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Atomic Punk

Comment

Working...