PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back

DeadOrAlive
07-14-2007, 06:12 AM
I just spent about 3 hours watching guitar solo after guitar solo from various artists.

I watched the best, including Steve Morse, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, with a never ending list.

To my disappointment, these gutiarists are all great, but grew bored a little from time to time.

As soon as Eddie Van Halen took the plate, nobody sounds better nor is more entertaining to watch play the guitar quite like him. The sounds he generates, the motions of his fingers, all so smooth but incredibly entertaining to watch.

You never know what he'll do, what innovative technique he'll perform. From the introduction of Mean Streets to the flat-out artistic Cathedral, Eddie reaches all realms of the guitar world, using tapping techniques and crescendos/descrescendos.

Edward Van Halen is by far the best sounding and the most entertaining to watch play the guitar. I remember going back three years wanting to play guitar like him. Now I can do some of his tricks. It's totally radical.

Eddie wrote some of the most memorable licks. He is a guitar god and a guitar hero. Too bad he's slipping on his act these days.

Ed probably has one of the widest ranges of moods in his solos, which always caught my attention. He's number one on my list dudes.

philouze
07-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Jimi, Ed and Vai are fucking Gods to me. And when I say Ed, I mean 74-84..

Eddie's Booze
07-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I just spent about 3 hours watching guitar solo after guitar solo from various artists.

I watched the best, including Steve Morse, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, with a never ending list.

To my disappointment, these gutiarists are all great, but grew bored a little from time to time.

As soon as Eddie Van Halen took the plate, nobody sounds better nor is more entertaining to watch play the guitar quite like him. The sounds he generates, the motions of his fingers, all so smooth but incredibly entertaining to watch.

You never know what he'll do, what innovative technique he'll perform. From the introduction of Mean Streets to the flat-out artistic Cathedral, Eddie reaches all realms of the guitar world, using tapping techniques and crescendos/descrescendos.

Edward Van Halen is by far the best sounding and the most entertaining to watch play the guitar. I remember going back three years wanting to play guitar like him. Now I can do some of his tricks. It's totally radical.

Eddie wrote some of the most memorable licks. He is a guitar god and a guitar hero. Too bad he's slipping on his act these days.

Ed probably has one of the widest ranges of moods in his solos, which always caught my attention. He's number one on my list dudes.

Slipping???? He lost the fucking plot over 20 years ago...

:mad:

letsrock
07-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Watch Zakk below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jI41KbedP4

letsrock
07-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Looks like thor playing guitar. Love it.

VanHalener
07-15-2007, 12:59 PM
:killer: :killer: :rockit2: :rockit2: Zakk :rockit2: :rockit2: :killer: :killer:

That was righteous!!!!!!!!!!

Love the dose of EVH he threw in there.:killer:

Eddie Van Halen is King, but DAMN there are some great guitarists walking the earth!

binnie
07-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

I think that adequately captures my feelings when I first got into Van Halen: the energy from Ed was unlike anything I've ever heard or felt, and still is when I put on the six pack.

Magic is the only word

Eddie's Booze
07-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
Watch Zakk below.

this is really good guitar playing....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67uVNeNBVHQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67uVNeNBVHQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

;)

chi-town324
07-15-2007, 02:39 PM
EVH...in a class all by himself

thome
07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Watch Zakk below.

Damn, Rarely will I let a ciggy burn away, like I be hipmotize.

LstLkly2Succeed
07-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Watch Zakk below.

I love the look on the people in the crowd's faces as they proceeded to get melted off by zakk. I still think that, back in his prime, no one compared to EVH, even just in terms of energy he was amazing, nevermind skill.

MUSICMANN
07-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Zakk sounds like shit. Just because you can run sclaes at a million miles and hr, doesn't mean you are great. I compare his sound to a cat pissing on a hotwire. Ed played fast but with a touch and feeling. The only other players that had that, was Hendrix and Vaughn.

Why do so many younger players think that playing at light speed means great. Playing fast for fast sake doesn't equal to being a really great player it's just playing fast.

Hendrix changed the way the whole world played guitar, then Ed did the same thing when VH hit the seen. No other guitar players have come out since, to do that.

DeadOrAlive
07-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Magic is the only word

Perfectly stated.

Antman
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Yngwie sucks.

ELVIS
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MUSICMANN

Hendrix changed the way the whole world played guitar, then Ed did the same thing when VH hit the seen. No other guitar players have come out since, to do that.

Yngwie did...

ELVIS
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Zakk was better in High School...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgA-MGBsb9M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgA-MGBsb9M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Eddie's Booze
07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Zakk was better in High School...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgA-MGBsb9M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgA-MGBsb9M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Compared to Yngwie.....he is a beginner.

:)

donanger1
07-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Take the 5 seconds to care and spell Stevie's last name RIGHT! It's Vaughan. Get it right.

Mike-DLR
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
eddie is the king....watching him back in '04 (to this day i regret seeing sammy :( ) his fuckin 20 minute solo was insane...sure he mighta been wasted, but when eddies on, hes truly the best

DLRdelight!
07-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
this is really good guitar playing....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67uVNeNBVHQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67uVNeNBVHQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

;)

yeah i see what you mean but the vibe that ed throws out just seems so real. his emotions really do come out of his guitar and i think that is what makes someone great to watch. there are many guitarists that do too much for show. ed on the other hand was just himself

Redballjets88
07-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Yngwie did...

no.

TOM_5150
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MUSICMANN
Zakk sounds like shit. Just because you can run sclaes at a million miles and hr, doesn't mean you are great. I compare his sound to a cat pissing on a hotwire. Ed played fast but with a touch and feeling. The only other players that had that, was Hendrix and Vaughn.

Why do so many younger players think that playing at light speed means great. Playing fast for fast sake doesn't equal to being a really great player it's just playing fast.

Right on!

ELVIS
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
no.

Yes he did, you idiot!

You're 19 years old, how would you even know ??

When Yngwie came out, people all but forgot about Edward at least for several years...

Read comments from people like Paul Gilbert and Brad Gillis who cite Yngwie as major influences...

Everyone was immediately into the neo-classical aproach to the electric guitar and heavy metal...

ELVIS
07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Approach, even...

:D

jhale667
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
no.

WRONG again, dude. Yngwie has been the only true innovator to come along since EVH...

Though if you ask me, Rhoads was pioneering the neoclassical thing before his untimely death. :(

binnie
07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm a big Zakk fan, but he' verging into self-parody. He does the same thing over and over, and has been playing pretty much the same solo at Ozzy gigs from 20 years now.

He's had some fantastic moments, "No Rest...", "Pride and Glory" and several of the BLS albums, but he's just not in the same ball park as Ed.

Or Randy for that matter.

ELVIS
07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Or any of the top players, but Zakk is entertaining to watch when you're standing in front of him and he's nailing the Randy solos better than Randy ever did live...

ELVIS
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I would have liked to see Yngwie do a tour or an album with Ozzy, or better yet, with Dio...

Had one of those options happened, Yngwie would be more of a household name...

I think even so, if he had kept Jeff Scott Soto throughout the years...

Grate chemistry there...

kamaboko
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Yngwie blew his load on the first Alacatraz album. I saw him on that tour. The show was great for the first coupe of songs, but then his crap got old. It was like a two hour solo.

hideyoursheep
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes he did, you idiot!

You're 19 years old, how would you even know ??

When Yngwie came out, people all but forgot about Edward at least for several years...

Read comments from people like Paul Gilbert and Brad Gillis who cite Yngwie as major influences...

Everyone was immediately into the neo-classical aproach to the electric guitar and heavy metal...

You're on dog food!

When Wankvie came out no one gave a shit! Not until Rhodes died, anyway. Then there was this idea that classical guitar could be injected into *cough* Rock n Roll and be en vogue. The reason these guys never really caught on, except for with other guitar players, is because the songs were gag-nasty. Then they would crowbar the wankage in the middle, and you lame assed guitar god wanna be's would sniff the stink from their foreskins.

Yeah, Wankvie's good, but not original. Nor is he exciting.
Gilbert? That Racer X cat? Please! Gillis? The Night Ranger/ Rhoads substitute wanker? You think if he were that good, Ozzy would want to keep him. The world couldn't wait for his Academy Award winning performance in the "Sister Christian" video for Best Dramatic Overacting Performance With a Guitar.:rolleyes:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BlenkHS-Tp4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BlenkHS-Tp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Ozzy did want to keep Gillis...

DR CHIP
07-31-2007, 09:23 PM
You can always tell those who either have no clue or don't play guitar....

Anyone who doesn't know that Yngwie stood the guitar world on its head just wasn't living at the time....period

hideyoursheep
07-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
You can always tell those who either have no clue or don't play guitar....

Anyone who doesn't know that Yngwie stood the guitar world on its head just wasn't living at the time....period :rolleyes:

hideyoursheep
07-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Ozzy did want to keep Gillis...

So then, what happened?

ELVIS
07-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Brad Gillis had already signed a contract with Night Ranger prior to Ozzy asking him to stay permanently..

jhale667
07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep
You're on dog food!

When Wankvie came out no one gave a shit! Not until Rhodes died, anyway.

Dude, the first Steeler album didn't come out until the year AFTER Randy died....pretty sure his Guitar Player Spotlight bit wasn't even 'til 83...

And, much like Redballs...you're WRONG. :D

As for the "guitar god wannabe" crack... Yeah, I'm sure YOU can shred us all under the table....:rolleyes: Jealous 'cause you never nailed "Eruption", perhaps?

kamaboko
07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I think it's a good thing Ozzy didn't get Gillis. Gillis was good with NR, but he's not a song writer. This seems pretty evident with his solo work. Hear for your self:

http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Brad-Gillis/dp/B00005ABXD/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-6223091-8640927?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185937808&sr=1-2

ELVIS
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Dude, the first Steeler album didn't come out until the year AFTER Randy died....pretty sure his Guitar Player Spotlight bit wasn't even 'til 83.

Actually it was in 82 and I believe Mike Varney brought Yngwie to the States after seeing his spotlight in Guitar Player magazine...

Yngwie was the first real guitar shredder but he had much more than that to offer as stated in this Wikipedia quote...

"Malmsteen broke new ground and contributed to the evolution of modern rock guitar, particularly with his embracing of modal progressions and classically-influenced techniques not widely used in rock music. He is often credited, along with Randy Rhoads, with increasing the popularity of the neoclassical heavy metal genre and inspiring a new generation of electric guitarists including Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, Jason Becker, and Tony MacAlpine."

binnie
08-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Out of interest, when did Steve Vai hit the music scene: wasn't he working with Zappa about the same time that Malmsteen came around?

Is there a direct link/ influence between the two?

I'm curious...

hideyoursheep
08-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Dude, the first Steeler album didn't come out until the year AFTER Randy died....pretty sure his Guitar Player Spotlight bit wasn't even 'til 83...

And, much like Redballs...you're WRONG. :D

As for the "guitar god wannabe" crack... Yeah, I'm sure YOU can shred us all under the table....:rolleyes: Jealous 'cause you never nailed "Eruption", perhaps?

What did I say that was wrong?

And the "guitar god wannabe" blast is dead on. I don't get "jealous". That's EGO, and noone should have one. It's Rock N Roll, for fuck sakes. No matter how well you can copy someone else's style, or play a certain song, for every strenght, there's a weakness. Wankvie's strenght is shredding neoclassical leads. That's where it ends. Chuck Berry is a better rocker than he is.

Never "nailed" Eruption?
I "nailed" all of them. All the solos Ed did, I did. We probably all did.
But we didn't invent them, so who gives a shit?

Oh, Jeezus. You like Yngvie. I get it. He hardly turned the world on it's ear, however.