PDA

View Full Version : Pete Townshend throws Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock

Diamondjimi
07-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Controversy at Woodstock
At Woodstock in 1969, Hoffman interrupted The Who's performance to attempt a protest speech against the jailing of John Sinclair of the White Panther Party. He grabbed a microphone and yelled, "I think this is a pile of shit! While John Sinclair rots in prison. . ." The Who's guitarist, Pete Townshend, unhappy with the interruption, cut Hoffman off mid-sentence, shouting, "Back off! Back off my fucking stage!" He then struck Hoffman with his guitar, sending the interloper tumbling offstage, to the approving roar of the crowd. Townshend later said that while he actually agreed with Hoffman on Sinclair's imprisonment, he would have knocked him offstage regardless of the content of his message, given that Hoffman had violated the "sanctity of the stage," i.e., the right of the band to perform uninterrupted by distractions not relevant to the actual show. The incident happened during a camera change and was not captured on film. However, the audio of this event can be heard on the The Who's box set, Thirty Years of Maximum R&B (Disc 2, Track 20, "Abbie Hoffman Incident").

According to Hoffman, in his autobiography, the incident played out like this:

“ If you ever heard about me in connection with the festival it was not for playing Florence Nightingale to the flower children. What you heard was the following: "Oh, him, yeah, didn't he grab the microphone, try to make a speech when Peter Townshend cracked him over the head with his guitar?" I've seen countless references to the incident, even a mammoth mural of the scene. What I've failed to find was a single photo of the incident. Why? Because it didn't really happen.
I grabbed the microphone all right and made a little speech about John Sinclair, who had just been sentenced to ten years in the Michigan State Penitentiary for giving two joints of grass to two undercover cops, and how we should take the strength we had at Woodstock home to free our brothers and sisters in jail. Something like that. Townshend, who had been tuning up, turned around and bumped into me. A nonincident really. Hundreds of photos and miles of film exist depicting the events on that stage, but none of this much-talked about scene.

In "Woodstock Nation", Hoffman mentions the incident, and says he was on a bad LSD trip at the time.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FH_8wnBVA98"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FH_8wnBVA98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ODShowtime
07-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Do you hear how out of tune Pete's guitar is from the beating?

"the next bloke who walks across this stage is gonna get fucking killed. you can laugh but I mean it."

I love it. The whole band was dosed without their consent while they endlessly waited for their time to play. They were PISSED.

katie
07-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Controversy at Woodstock
At Woodstock in 1969, Hoffman interrupted The Who's performance to attempt a protest speech against the jailing of John Sinclair of the White Panther Party. He grabbed a microphone and yelled, "I think this is a pile of shit! While John Sinclair rots in prison. . ." The Who's guitarist, Pete Townshend, unhappy with the interruption, cut Hoffman off mid-sentence, shouting, "Back off! Back off my fucking stage!" He then struck Hoffman with his guitar, sending the interloper tumbling offstage, to the approving roar of the crowd. Townshend later said that while he actually agreed with Hoffman on Sinclair's imprisonment, he would have knocked him offstage regardless of the content of his message, given that Hoffman had violated the "sanctity of the stage," i.e., the right of the band to perform uninterrupted by distractions not relevant to the actual show. The incident happened during a camera change and was not captured on film. However, the audio of this event can be heard on the The Who's box set, Thirty Years of Maximum R&B (Disc 2, Track 20, "Abbie Hoffman Incident").

According to Hoffman, in his autobiography, the incident played out like this:

“ If you ever heard about me in connection with the festival it was not for playing Florence Nightingale to the flower children. What you heard was the following: "Oh, him, yeah, didn't he grab the microphone, try to make a speech when Peter Townshend cracked him over the head with his guitar?" I've seen countless references to the incident, even a mammoth mural of the scene. What I've failed to find was a single photo of the incident. Why? Because it didn't really happen.
I grabbed the microphone all right and made a little speech about John Sinclair, who had just been sentenced to ten years in the Michigan State Penitentiary for giving two joints of grass to two undercover cops, and how we should take the strength we had at Woodstock home to free our brothers and sisters in jail. Something like that. Townshend, who had been tuning up, turned around and bumped into me. A nonincident really. Hundreds of photos and miles of film exist depicting the events on that stage, but none of this much-talked about scene.

In "Woodstock Nation", Hoffman mentions the incident, and says he was on a bad LSD trip at the time.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FH_8wnBVA98"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FH_8wnBVA98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thanks for the cut n paste (with no input from youraelf) history lesson that we never asked for and already knew. :D

Jérôme Frenchise
07-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by katie
Thanks for the cut n paste (with no input from youraelf) history lesson that we never asked for and already knew. :D

Well, I didn't. :cool:

That guy chose the wrong act for his intervention, BTW. He should have interrupted Jefferson Airplane or John Sebastian. Maybe he was just too stoned to realize the Who were on stage.

Hardrock69
07-22-2007, 02:56 AM

Nobody is asking for your irrational crap here right now, and yes we already know you are a fucktarded troll.

Not everyone knows about the Woodstock incident.
DJ is providing valuable content that actually adds value to these forums.

Unlike you, who simply detract from these forums with your constant, juvenile rubbish.

philouze
07-22-2007, 06:41 AM
(singing the Terry Jones song) Never be rude to a lady ...

I already knew that story, only cuz I've been a long long time WHO fan.
Also, on the bootleg WHOodstock DVD, you can see how pissed Pete is. Too bad the cameras weren't running..

Do you think it's alright...?

katie
07-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Nobody is asking for your irrational crap here right now, and yes we already know you are a fucktarded troll.

Not everyone knows about the Woodstock incident.
DJ is providing valuable content that actually adds value to these forums.

Unlike you, who simply detract from these forums with your constant, juvenile rubbish.

get back in your pram limpcock.
i was only joking

silly boy

Hardrock69
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
According to you, you are always 'only joking'.

STFU.

Silly Kunt

katie
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
According to you, you are always 'only joking'.

STFU.

Silly Kunt

Take the joke

muppet:D

Diamondjimi
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I smell fish !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/katietroll.jpg

katie
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
cool!

Hardrock69
07-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Take the joke

You are the joke.

katie
07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Limpcock69 I admire the way you continually stick up for your fudge packing bum boy bandit diamondthingy.

Does he/she know you feel this way?

Each to their own

I think you two army queers are COOL!

Nitro Express
07-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Well, I didn't. :cool:

That guy chose the wrong act for his intervention, BTW. He should have interrupted Jefferson Airplane or John Sebastian. Maybe he was just too stoned to realize the Who were on stage.

I don't know. Grace Slick was a gun toting tough woman. She might have blasted the guy off the stage. But fuck, if were loaded and pissed, I would have given the fucker the old boot off the edge of that big 10 foot stage into the wood fence and stoned roadies.