PDA

View Full Version : LED ZEPPELIN: Double-CD Collection, Reissue Of 'The Song Remains The Same' Due In Nov

Diamondjimi
07-27-2007, 01:26 AM
LED ZEPPELIN: Double-CD Collection, Reissue Of 'The Song Remains The Same' Due In November - July 27, 2007

On November 13, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will honor LED ZEPPELIN with the release of "Mothership", a 24-track, two-CD comprehensive collection that spans their illustrious career. All eight of the band's classic studio albums are represented here, with the tracks being personally selected by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones. "Mothership" includes landmark songs such as "Whole Lotta Love", "Immigrant Song", "Kashmir", "Rock And Roll", "Dazed And Confused", "Stairway to Heaven". The set will also include new liner notes. Available at all physical retail outlets and www.ledzeppelin.com, "Mothership" collectible packages will be available in multiple configurations:

* Standard Package – 2-CD set
* Deluxe Edition – 2-CD/ 1-DVD featuring the 90-minute, premiere-version of the "Led Zeppelin" DVD (£12.20 SRP)
* Collector's Edition – 2-CD/1-DVD ultra-deluxe, collectible limited edition
* Vinyl Edition – 4 LPs, high-end, audiophile quality vinyl with collectible memorabilia

"Mothership" Track Listing:

Disc One:

01. Good Times Bad Times
02. Communication Breakdown
03. Dazed And Confused
04. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
05. Whole Lotta Love
06. Ramble On
07. Heartbreaker
08. Immigrant Song
09. Since I've Been Loving You
10. Rock And Roll
11. Black Dog
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. Stairway To Heaven

Disc Two:

01. Song Remains The Same
02. Over The Hills And Far Away
03. D'Yer Maker
04. No Quarter
05. Trampled Under Foot
06. Houses Of The Holy
07. Kashmir
08. Nobody's Fault But Mine
09. Achilles Last Stand
10. In The Evening
11. All My Love

Slated for a simultaneous release, Warner Home Video debuts brand-new DVD editions of "The Song Remains The Same", now for the first time with all 14 songs from the original concert. The DVD features newly remixed and remastered sound, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, and boasts more than 40 minutes of added bonus material, including never-before-released performance footage of "Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Celebration Day"; plus performances of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean"; a rare 1976 BBC interview with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page; vintage TV footage from the Drake Hotel robbery during the New York concert stand; and a Cameron Crowe radio show. The discs will be available as follows:

* Deluxe Edition DVD
* Deluxe Edition HD DVD and Blu-ray
* Limited Collector's Edition – 2-disc set includes collectible vintage T-shirt with original album artwork design, soundtrack CD, lobby cards, reproductions of original premiere invites, tour schedule, and more

"We have revisited 'The Song Remains The Same'," says Jimmy Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on 'How The West Was Won'. When it comes to 'The Song Remains The Same', the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the LED ZEPPELIN wish list."

"The Song Remains The Same" track listing:

Disc One:

01. Rock And Roll
02. Celebration Day
03. Black Dog (including Bring It On Home)*
04. Over The Hills*
05. Misty Mountain Hop*
06. Since I've Been Loving You*
07. No Quarter
08. The Song Remains The Same
09. Rain Song
10. The Ocean*

Disc Two:

01. Dazed And Confused
02. Stairway To Heaven
03. Moby Dick
04. Heartbreaker*
05. Whole Lotta Love

* Not on original soundtrack release

Source
Blabbermouth.net (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=77639)

Discuss.......

philouze
07-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Yet another LZ greatest hits album...
I could be interested in the TSRTS dvd though..

binnie
07-27-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm intrigued by the additional tracks. Jimmy Page really knows how to keep the $$$ rolling in.....

Mr Badguy
07-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Another repackage of "Remasters"?

No thanks.

The DVD and soundtrack should be good, though.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-27-2007, 05:57 AM
This isn't even worth torrenting, IMO.

Coyote
07-27-2007, 06:18 AM
I gotta start looking for the original vinyls someday...

Matt White
07-27-2007, 06:32 AM
BRILLIANT

The DVD is gonna kick ass..........

better than all the pretenders....put together

Nickdfresh
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I'm intrigued by the additional tracks. Jimmy Page really knows how to keep the $$$ rolling in.....

No kidding! I paid like $120 to get their complete remasters a year ago...

I don't have SMTS though, so I may fork over for it. Hell, I may finally go "Blu-Ray" for this!

BrownSound1
07-27-2007, 08:14 AM
TSRTS should have been remastered a long time ago.

Steve Savicki
07-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Those gold audiophile CD companies wished they could have all Zep on CD.
I e-mailed them once, and they told me they couldn't. Not sure if the reason was Page or Atlantic.

Hardrock69
07-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Interesting, though I wonder how original this soundtrack is going to be, considering that a) the original soundtrack and movie were from different performances spread over 3 nights at Madison Square Garden, and b) the original soundtrack was heavily edited, to the point that some songs were composite songs edited together from the different performances to create a single song.

Here is a webasite that examines the creation of both the film and the soundtrack album in great detail:

http://www.simplyled.net/thegardentapes.html

Hardrock69
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Here is an excerpt from the above mentioned page, so you can all get an idea of how much of a cut-and-paste job The Song Remains The Same truly is. This is info about the first two songs of both the film and album - Rock and Roll, and Celebration Day:

"Led Zeppelin would nearly always begin a show with two songs played back to back, a simple but effective way of building on the pre-concert tension. In the American tour of 1973 they went one better, opening the set with a devastating trio of rockers, which probably left the audience in a state of ecstatic shock, wondering whether they could possibly endure this level of excitement for nearly three hours.

It's unfortunate that this opening sequence is not represented in full on "The Song Remains The Same", either in the film or on the album. So what exactly did Pagey give us?

Let's start with the film. The first thing we hear is Bonzo's war cry, "Ok,let's go!", then it's straight into "Rock and Roll". Appropriately enough, this whole song (including Bonzo's opening shout) is from the 27th, the first night. At the end of the song, after Bonzo's drum solo, we hear the three-chord opening to "Celebration Day" - we're still on the 27th here - but then we get the first cut as we're taken straight to the "Bring It On Home" riff used to link "Celebration Day" with "Black Dog".

This riff is from the 29th, as is almost all of "Black Dog". This is an incomplete version, of course, with a substantial section cut from the middle of the song. After the "ah-ah" call and response, as we expect the "Hey baby, oh baby, pretty baby" section, we are instead taken straight to the guitar solo that closes the piece. This gives a rather unbalanced feel to the song, although the brilliance of the guitar work and the spectacularly exciting stage act soon make us forget that. Still on the 29th, then, until near the very end of the song. After the return to the riff and the "beginning of the ending", there are two big chords (C and D) - these, and the last 15 seconds of mayhem, are from the 27th.

Now on to the album. This is a bit more complicated. It starts off with the same Bonzo shout from the 27th, of course, but it's not the same version of "Rock And Roll" that follows, at least not all of it. It's actually in four different parts as follows, with CD timings in brackets:

1. From the beginning of the song to the end of the first verse, just as Robert has finished singing "lonely time" (00:05-01:00) - 28th.
2. From the moment where guitar and bass re-enter to "ah, rock it, rock it" in the last verse (01:00-03:23) - 27th, same as film.
3. From the D chord that follows "ah, rock it, rock it " to the last "lonely" (03:23-03:42) - 28th.
4. From "time" to the end of the drum solo (03:42-03:54) - 27th, same as film."

Steve Savicki
07-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Jimmy Page really knows how to keep the $$$ rolling in.....
So does that place him on the level of Gene Simmons?

Kennedy
07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I wonder if they will print the correct writing credits this time around. Not sure "Plant, Page" will be seen much if done accurately.

Mr Badguy
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Is "The song remains the same" soundtrack still a big deal these days?

"BBC Sessions" and "How the west was won" have a lot of the same tracks and lots of bootlegs are available on the web.

Only the nostalgia factor is what gets people excited about it.

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Some of you people should shut the fuck up, notice how I spelled it out. Zeppelin is fucking great and the Song Remains The Same in SRS has been awaited by many fans for years. If you can't dig Zep, I have to question your opinion on anything rock-n-roll related. NUFF SAID!

ODShowtime
07-27-2007, 06:31 PM
This is mixed news.

I'm actually annoyed by the bullshit greatest hits. In a couple years they'll be up to the WHO in terms of greatest hits collections.

The TSRTS remaster is great news though, although its watered-down because the best parts were released on the DVD. Still, it will be awesome to experience the entire 73 opening set in its full glory in DTS. From Rock and Roll up to SIBLY was just a steamroller.

ODShowtime
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
and here's a better source than blabbermouth
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003617745

jharp84
07-27-2007, 06:38 PM
FUCK the "hits" "let's go across the freeway, have a drink and watch the dvd"!

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
FUCK the "hits" "let's go across the freeway, have a drink and watch the dvd"!

I'm right there with ya brother!

jharp84
07-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Just listened to the Brothers of a feather cd by chris and rich robinson(black crowes) This message to "TAKIN" IT KICKED MAJOR ASS!! Wasn't it the CROWES who did a little ZEP THANG w/PAGY few years back!!!

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
Just listened to the Brothers of a feather cd by chris and rich robinson(black crowes) This message to "TAKIN" IT KICKED MAJOR ASS!! Wasn't it the CROWES who did a little ZEP THANG w/PAGY few years back!!!

Got the first show in America on vhs. It was at the Roseland ballroom in NYC. My wife and I were at the show. I really need to transfer that over to dvd.

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I need to pick the brothers disc up. I haven't been to a record store or Best Buy lately, but when I go I will pick up The Brothers Live disc as well as the new Rush and Velvet Revolver cds too.

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
The show at the Roseland I was refering to ws with Page.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, there's been more reunion rumours and, according to Classic Rock, Plant isn't being as dismissive as he usaully is...they reckon there's some sort of reunion on the way. I'm pretty sure they're releasing all this to fuel those rumours more and cash in on it. Apparently, its more likely than ever before (again). :rolleyes:

Va Beach VH Fan
07-28-2007, 09:00 PM
The soundtrack remix should be excellent....

This is some outstanding detail, reminds me of some of the shit we used to do on the CVH boots !!!!

Originally posted by Hardrock69
Here is an excerpt from the above mentioned page, so you can all get an idea of how much of a cut-and-paste job The Song Remains The Same truly is. This is info about the first two songs of both the film and album - Rock and Roll, and Celebration Day:

"Led Zeppelin would nearly always begin a show with two songs played back to back, a simple but effective way of building on the pre-concert tension. In the American tour of 1973 they went one better, opening the set with a devastating trio of rockers, which probably left the audience in a state of ecstatic shock, wondering whether they could possibly endure this level of excitement for nearly three hours.

It's unfortunate that this opening sequence is not represented in full on "The Song Remains The Same", either in the film or on the album. So what exactly did Pagey give us?

Let's start with the film. The first thing we hear is Bonzo's war cry, "Ok,let's go!", then it's straight into "Rock and Roll". Appropriately enough, this whole song (including Bonzo's opening shout) is from the 27th, the first night. At the end of the song, after Bonzo's drum solo, we hear the three-chord opening to "Celebration Day" - we're still on the 27th here - but then we get the first cut as we're taken straight to the "Bring It On Home" riff used to link "Celebration Day" with "Black Dog".

This riff is from the 29th, as is almost all of "Black Dog". This is an incomplete version, of course, with a substantial section cut from the middle of the song. After the "ah-ah" call and response, as we expect the "Hey baby, oh baby, pretty baby" section, we are instead taken straight to the guitar solo that closes the piece. This gives a rather unbalanced feel to the song, although the brilliance of the guitar work and the spectacularly exciting stage act soon make us forget that. Still on the 29th, then, until near the very end of the song. After the return to the riff and the "beginning of the ending", there are two big chords (C and D) - these, and the last 15 seconds of mayhem, are from the 27th.

Now on to the album. This is a bit more complicated. It starts off with the same Bonzo shout from the 27th, of course, but it's not the same version of "Rock And Roll" that follows, at least not all of it. It's actually in four different parts as follows, with CD timings in brackets:

1. From the beginning of the song to the end of the first verse, just as Robert has finished singing "lonely time" (00:05-01:00) - 28th.
2. From the moment where guitar and bass re-enter to "ah, rock it, rock it" in the last verse (01:00-03:23) - 27th, same as film.
3. From the D chord that follows "ah, rock it, rock it " to the last "lonely" (03:23-03:42) - 28th.
4. From "time" to the end of the drum solo (03:42-03:54) - 27th, same as film."

Jack68
07-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh thank god the rain song is included again.Christ......

Terry
07-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Meh.

Picked up TSRTS dvd and cds the first time they were released.

Can't say I'd bother with just getting an audio reissue of the soundtrack, even if it were remixed and previously unreleased material was added to it.

Might pick up the expanded dvd with the additional concert footage and extras if it is available as a stand-alone item and is under $30.

Upcoming releases like Kissology Volume 2 and the Blade Runner 5 disc set are items I'll definitely get. With this TSRTS proposed re-release, if I don't pick it up (either right away or at all) between the film and soundtrack versions I already have I'm satisfied.