PDA

View Full Version : Easy metal songs on guitar?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Can anyone recommend me pretty easy-to-learn beginner metal songs for guitar?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-27-2007, 05:08 AM
And if you think you're clever by saying "Smoke on the Water", you're not :D

MAX
07-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Jeesh...

What do you define as "metal" though? :confused:

What about Sab stuff? That's always "easy" IMO. Priest stuff as well as countless others are cool starts.

Several VH tunes are easier than they sound but they're rarely referred to as "metal" you know?

Maybe be a little more specific? :cool:

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Well, Priest is definitely metal.

Sabbath is always great.

Megadeth's Reckoning Day sounds pretty easy.

kentuckyklira
07-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, if you like Megadeth then Symphony of Destruction is pretty easy. Judas Priest - Breaking the Law is as easy as can be. Most Saxon tunes from Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm of the Law are damn easy. ManOWar´s first album isn´t gonna make you tear any ligaments in your fingers either.

Hardrock69
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Uhh...a truly simple buncha tunes to learn (though more hard rock than metal) would be anything on Ted Nugent's first solo album.

Though perhaps not 'metal' enough for ya, they are great for learning purposes.

Priest and Sabbath are VERY easy.

If you can play a barre chord, you can play numerous tunes by them.

The rhythm parts anyway.

Breaking The Law. Can't get much easier than that.

Or War Pigs. Or Paranoid.

kastco
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Back in Black by AC/DC is pretty simple. As a beginner I would check out some of the TAB sites. Playing or actually learning by tab is really the easiest way to learn a song. From there it is really practice, practice, practice. I've been playing for a pretty long time and I still pick up my guitar and practice for at least 30 minutes a day. Also learn your rock/blues scale since most solos are built around this scale and by learning it you will be well on your way to playing lead. Good luck and remember to practice.

cdwillis
07-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Crazy Train by Ozzy

Don Corleone
07-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Solo aside - Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.

rocknrolldork
07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
The stuff on Highway to Hell is easy and fun as shit to play.

Heading to the Highway by Priest.

All Motley Crue.

Some of the Faith No More stuff is pretty simple.

Seek and Destroy and Whiplash by Metallica are fast but the riffs are pretty easy.

Redballjets88
07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
since i started attempting guitar it has really given me a new apprecition for eddie, his riffs are so much more complicated than other of the genre, I could learn all of Mick Mars stuff (solo's aside) fairly easily, but just playing ed's shit is a whole different league.

tajmahal
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
I have played the guitar once in my life and I learned Asia's Heat of the Moment very easily, but I do know how to read music.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I will try all of these out and let you know how it went!

Redballjets88
07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
yeah heat of the moment is hella easy, i just learned in 5 minutes and have been rocking out since.

Panamark
07-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by cdwillis
Crazy Train by Ozzy

Dude ! You must have had your shit happening
very early. Must admit I couldnt play that one
in the beginning...

Agree with a lot of the Priest/Sabbath numbers...
But dont forget, just because the chords or
notes are fairly simple, and not played at
a million miles an hour, you still need
to play them well !
A lot of those old metal songs may be a simple
E to D, chord change, but will have a unique
feel or rhytym for that song. Dont forget the
feel !!

Redballjets88
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
ok i have a chord chart in my room and i have no fucking clue how it is possible to play F i cant make one finger hits all those notes while the other three fingers holding others.

Panamark
07-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Dude, thats probably the hardest barre chord,
try it up the neck until you can cleanly strum
the entire chord. Then when you have mastered
that, move back to the first fret. The first position
F chord takes a lot more strength in your index
finger, but the same chord at the third (G) or even
fifth (A) fret is a lot easier to play..
Its good to master the barre chord...
Once you have, you have a world of variation
at your fingers..

*However*
If you want to cheat, just play the top two
strings :)
(As in the two thickest strings E & A) as these two
notes are common to both minor and major
versions of the chords, and many metal
guitarists use just these two finger chords in rock..

Nitro Express
07-27-2007, 09:40 PM
The first songs I learned were Led Zeppelin ones. Whole Lotta Love is a great first song to learn because it helps get your fingers into shape and you can get a feel for soloing as well. Rythum, soloing, and getting in the raunchy groove in time. You can't beat it for a beginers rock song in my book. I still love to crank the amp and put it out.

smaz
07-27-2007, 10:00 PM
www.learnlicks.com

Just reading through a magazine I bought a while ago, noticed that. Think youtube for musicians, basically seems like people explaining & demonstrating various techniques & I believe some songs in there too. Not had a proper look, 3am here.... :)

Hardrock69
07-28-2007, 12:48 AM
An F is not a barre chord. Meaning he is talking about a proper F chord.

Man that one was a bitch. Took me a few months to train my fingers to make one.

Redballjets88
07-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

yeah its a bitch, especially on my shitty acoustic. I tried today on an electric it was a little easier, i still don't quite have it. Thanks Hardrock and Panamark for the tips.

Nitro Express
07-28-2007, 01:37 AM

The real bitch is that is one of the first chords you do lean and begining guitarist typically try to play it on a piece of shit that isn't set up right. I leaned guitar on a horrible Yamaha accoustic. Rule number one is beginers need a good guitar. Not an expensive one but one that is not a piece of shit and set up propperly.

Nitro Express
07-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Everyone seems to say not to learn on an electric guitar. Maybe in the old days it was cheaper to go accoustic but not now. An OLP and a little $80 practice amp would do the trick. Electrics typically have lower action and lighter guage strings. I wish I would have learned on my 72 Strat with .009 guage strings on it with the wammy blocked to make tuning easier. That 7.5 radius neck is the cat's meow for chords, you can play F chords all day on one.

Redballjets88
07-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Novody's fool is really easy for a power ballad. 18 and life is a bit tougher but if you wanna make the panties drop...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-28-2007, 02:40 AM
I Remember You is a cool one, too.

I'm working on that one now.

Panamark
07-28-2007, 03:17 AM

Correct, but reading his description
" i cant make one finger hits all those notes while the other three fingers holding others."
He is clearly referring to attempting to play an F Barre Chord..

The first posistion F you refer to is a bugger for sure !
And you dont get to play the actual root note on the
E string.. (Unless you have a long thumb !)

katie
07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
I Remember You is a cool one, too.

I'm working on that one now.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/55/51/22855155.jpg

Looking good MERRYKISSMASS2U

Eddie's Booze
08-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Everyone seems to say not to learn on an electric guitar. Maybe in the old days it was cheaper to go accoustic but not now. An OLP and a little $80 practice amp would do the trick. Electrics typically have lower action and lighter guage strings. I wish I would have learned on my 72 Strat with .009 guage strings on it with the wammy blocked to make tuning easier. That 7.5 radius neck is the cat's meow for chords, you can play F chords all day on one.

a '72 Strat what Color and what type of fingerboard???

Those old Strats almost feel as nice as the best pussy you're ever had :)

svrwthr
08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Dudes and dudettes. I don't play any instrument but I place my money on any AC/DC song to be the easiest to play. :D

Dave's Bitch
08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
three of the most simple but great sounding songs i know are "And the bands played on"Denim and Leather" and "747" by Saxon.There is like 3 riffs in each song.Also "The thin red line" is pretty cool.

If you are looking for pretty easy but heavy as fuck stuff,try "Subsitute Creature" by Municiple Waste.Its pretty quick but simple amd with a good amount of distortion it sounds awesome

As far as stuff like Megadeth.Most all of the later stuff isnt too taxing."Return to hanger" being the easyest that comes to mind,even the solo is simple.Solo aside "Sweating Bullets","symphony of Destruction" and "Peace Sells" are simple

Hope this helps a lil'

Love and Bruises, DB ;)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't know much about guitar, but Megadeth's Liar sounds pretty easy...

Matt White
08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
DEVIL'S CHILD by PRIEST

SIN CITY by AC/DC

STRUTTER by KISS

Panamark
08-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Smoke on the water ?? lol...

But does anyone actually know the verse chords ?????

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-11-2007, 10:59 AM
My guitar coach and I are working on Judas Priest's 'Painkiller'.

Next week: Detroit Rock City by KISS.

sadaist
08-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Can anyone recommend me pretty easy-to-learn beginner metal songs for guitar?

Pretty much anything from Anthrax - Spreading The Disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreading_the_Disease

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I love that record.... I think I will try "Madhouse"

sadaist
08-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Good choice. Medusa and A.I.R. are pretty fun and kick ass too.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Right now, I am playing my fingers raw with the new version of Garageband that came out!

When I get my version of the main riff of Painkiller perfect, I'll post it here so you guys can rip it apart :p

sadaist
08-12-2007, 01:09 AM
I love that record.... I think I will try "Madhouse"

Merry, thanks for starting this thread. I haven't thought of that Anthrax tape in a long time. I was listening today after our earlier posts. Fucking kick ass album. Sometimes I get so caught up in just a few bands that I tend to forget about the others.

Panamark
08-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Pretty much anything from Anthrax - Spreading The Disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreading_the_Disease

I gotta get that album again. Its a classic..
Ive still got the original cassette here ! lol...

Some great songs on that one..

sadaist
08-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I gotta get that album again. Its a classic..
Ive still got the original cassette here ! lol...

Some great songs on that one..

I have it all in mp3. Is there a way I can upload it somewhere for you to download?

hideyoursheep
08-12-2007, 11:48 AM
My guitar coach and I are working on Judas Priest's 'Painkiller'.

Next week: Detroit Rock City by KISS.
You have an instructor? Cool!

Painkiller is badass.

You could do it old school and plug in all KISS and early Ted..

My first was "Dog Eat Dog".

Once you recognize that root note in any song, the sky's the limit. You're off to the races!

Then you'll hear every note and be able to track it down with your fingers.

This gives me an idea for a thread.....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I learned how to do the intro to Master of Puppets.... sounds killer.

Casemeister
08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
ok i have a chord chart in my room and i have no fucking clue how it is possible to play F i cant make one finger hits all those notes while the other three fingers holding others.

I do it with my thumb playing the low E string. I learned to play country songs before any others, and using one's thumb for chords is common in country. Ed does it, too.

With that said, learn it the right way and THEN "cheat" if you want to later on. I remember I took a few guitar lessons when I was younger. Frankly, it put me off playing the guitar. Entire lessons on how my thumb should be straight up on the back of the neck, etc. I kinda wish I had that technique now, but what was the use of perfect technique if I never wanted to use it?

In a way I'm contradicting myself by saying learn it the hard way and then do it the easy way, since I did the opposite, but hey... as long as it's a challenge that's (eventually) within your grasp, don't give up on it.

Casemeister
08-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by hideyoursheep

Once you recognize that root note in any song, the sky's the limit. You're off to the races!

Then you'll hear every note and be able to track it down with your fingers.

Damn straight. Once I started being able to really hear changes, I knew I was well and truly on my way. Funnily enough, I recently found that after not learning many new songs for a while, my ear wasn't as good as it used to be. In the last few months I've learned more songs (and more accurately) than ever, and my ear is therefore better than ever. It's a skill you have to keep up, but once you've got it, you'll always at least have a basic ability to pick out progressions and whatnot.

I remember noticing that most of the Waylon Jennings songs I was learning had the same "groups" of chords in them. I didn't know what a key was, honestly. I just thought, "E, A, and B" seem to go really well together. Then, "Huh, A, D, and E, too..." When I kinda learned what a key was, things started to make more sense... :D Ahhh... memories.