PDA

View Full Version : Beer Brewed With 3,000-year-old recipe

Hardrock69
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Found out about this on the History Channel show "Modern Marvels", when they had a special on the history of BEER!

His golden touch may have conferred fabulous wealth on King Midas, but he nearly starved to death when even his food and drink were converted into the precious metal. The well-known legend is based on an actual ruler of the ancient kingdom of Phrygia in central Turkey around 700 B.C. Under a huge mound at the capital of Gordion, a University of Pennsylvania Museum expedition in 1957 excavated an intact burial chamber which likely belonged to King Midas himself. The body of a 60-year-old male was laid out in state on a thick pile of purple and blue-dyed textiles inside a unique log coffin.

Most remarkably, the tomb held the largest Iron Age drinking set ever found--157 vessels, including a ram-headed and lion-headed situla--for preparing, serving, drinking and libating a special beverage at the funerary feast of the king. The secrets of the beverage were revealed by the new methods of Molecular Archaeology. Dr. Patrick McGovern of the Museum discovered that the residues inside the vessels belonged to a "Phrygian cocktail," which combined grape wine, barley beer and honey mead. Starting with the ancient chemical evidence, Dogfish Head Brewery "re-created" a marvelous golden elixir, truly touched by King Midas.

Midas Touch Golden Elixir

Availability: Limited monthly release, Year-Round

This recipe is the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! Our recipe showcases the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey & saffron found in the drinking vessels in King Midas' tomb! Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

9.0% abv

20 ibu

Calorie content (per 12-ounce serving): approx. 307

Tasting Notes: Honey, saffron, papaya, melon, biscuity, succulent.

Food pairing recomendations: Pan-Asian dishes, risotto, curries, baked fish and chicken.

Glass recommendation: White Wine

Comparable wine style: Sauterne Champagne

Dogfish Wins Silver and Bronze at World Beer Cup

Type: Trophy List

Start Date: 4/14/2006

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery wins two medals in international beer competition

Seattle, WA " 4/14/06 -Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, DE) recently claimed silver and bronze medals in the Brewers Association (BA) World Beer Cup® 2006, a global beer competition that evaluates beers from around the world and recognizes the most outstanding beers being produced in the world today.

Gold, silver and bronze medals in the competition's 85 beer-style categories were awarded April 14, 2006 during the World Beer Cup Gala Awards Ceremony and Dinner at the Washington State Convention & Trade Center in Seattle, Wash., U.S.A.

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery was awarded a silver medal in the Specialty Honey Lager or Ale category for it's Midas Touch Golden Elixir. The beer recipe is based on residue found in King Midas' tomb. The Dogfish recreation of the recipe showcases the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey & saffron found in the tomb's drinking vessels Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, the Midas Touch is a smooth, dry ale that pleases the Chardonnay or India Pale Ale drinker alike.

http://www.dogfish.com/media/beverage/medium/Power.jpg

rocknrolldork
07-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Sounds like it might be worth trying. I wonder if they sell it in Indiana?

FORD
07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I can find some Dogfish brews locally (at a Chevron station, of all places). I might have to check in and see if they got this one.

Looks like it might be a great addition to the FORD Beercyclopedia.....

Hardrock69
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Obviously I am curious, and I plan on checking into it's availability as well.

Whoda thought back then that 2,700 years later yer average joe could swill beer that at the time was made for kings?
:D

DeadOrAlive
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Hardrock... Always brings the coolest news to the ARMY. :D

ODShowtime
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
My buddy played some gigs at the Dogfish Head brewery in Rehobeth, DE (yeah, I know about rehobeth) and I knocked back a few of these bad boys. You have to be careful with this stuff. It's EXCELLENT, and VERY powerful. It will fuck you up.

I know I've drank it there once or twice, and I think I had it once in Tampa from the bottle. Yeah, looking at that picture of the bottle, I bought a 4-pack once.

FORD, you should try it, it's really unique, and like I said it will FUCK you up.

The brewery is great and has excellent food BTW. Real close to the beach too.

good times.

Viking
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Fuck, I didn't know Rehoboth had a brewery. That was an old weekend spot for me. Sun, sand, and major beavage in thongs. Sheeee-it, I gotta make an O.C./Dewey/Rehoboth reconnnioter the next time I'm back in town. :killer: :killer: :killer:

TAKIN WHISKEY
07-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
Sounds like it might be worth trying. I wonder if they sell it in Indiana?

I'll let you know tomorrow.

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok it's tomorrow. Yes they do sell it in Indy. 96th street just behind The Cladagh Irish Pub. Place is called The Hop Shop. There were only two 4 packs at the store so I only took one of them. I left one for you brother. The 4 pack was $13 and some change. The guy working there said it is hard to get and everyone he has talked to said it's good shit. I will try mine tonight.

ODShowtime
08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Fuck, I didn't know Rehoboth had a brewery. That was an old weekend spot for me. Sun, sand, and major beavage in thongs. Sheeee-it, I gotta make an O.C./Dewey/Rehoboth reconnnioter the next time I'm back in town. :killer: :killer: :killer:

That town actually has the first bar I ever went to. My fake ID testing ground. Man I got shit faced that night. I threw up over someone's balconey, and in my intoxicated state, I decided to aim for the little square below me... which happened to be the air conditioner. :eek:

rocknrolldork
08-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by TAKIN WHISKEY
Ok it's tomorrow. Yes they do sell it in Indy. 96th street just behind The Cladagh Irish Pub. Place is called The Hop Shop. There were only two 4 packs at the store so I only took one of them. I left one for you brother. The 4 pack was $13 and some change. The guy working there said it is hard to get and everyone he has talked to said it's good shit. I will try mine tonight.

Kickass. I found some at the Elite Beverages at Pendleton Pike & German Church too. Didn't get to drink it last night but I am tonight.

Thanks for the heads up about the northside store!

Hardrock69
08-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I have yet to even look around here, but I am sure it will be available someplace.

rocknrolldork
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I have yet to even look around here, but I am sure it will be available someplace.

Not sure where you are located but here is a link to their distributorship map: http://www.dogfish.com/spirits/distributors.htm

Antman
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Sounds good. Gotta find me some.

Hardrock69
08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the link, dork!
:cool:

Hardrock69
08-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Shit.....the only distributors for this are located in Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware.
:mad:

That does not mean that I can't find it here locally though.

Nitro Express
08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Cool. What's it called? Mummy Piss?

Redballjets88
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Cool. What's it called? Mummy Piss?

thats actually the recipe for Keystone

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey Kemosabe! This shit will take you to the spirit world.

ODShowtime
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
thats actually the recipe for Keystone

good work. That's your #1 post here so far.

thome
08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
You should know your liquor store owner as you should know your mechanic.

I order speciality beers all the time from out of state ditributors if it
is available anywhere they can order it for you, costs a little more but if it is what you want so be it.If it sells they will stock it.

I was wondering about the test they did on these jugs in the tomb
what if he had wine in the same jug and beer the next night .

Or what if he just liked beer with some wine and honey mixed in.

It is all to complicated to be sure.

I saw a special on TV of a tribe in the amazon who ferment crushed roots with spit and the people got blasted, partied around a fire .

Exactly like that scene in Medicine Man .

I would probably pass on that but I will try this beer you have mentioned, thanks.

Hardrock69
08-04-2007, 04:11 AM
That was why I was not too pissed off about no distributors in my state....I figured they could order anything I wanted.

Except Absinthe lol.

thome
08-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
That was why I was not too pissed off about no distributors in my state....I figured they could order anything I wanted.

Except Absinthe lol.

http://members.tripod.com/~witches_web/html/absynthe.htm

I can't rmember where I was but a couple years ago I found a site where you could order it over the net and it was the real deal.

From what I remember it was legal or at least alot of the ability to be
traced if you order it for private use .Something like you can own it
here in the states just you cannot sell it .

I thought ok cool, maybe some day and the I moved onto whatever topic I was originally looking for, you know net surfing and links.

I may have originally been looking for Roofing Shingle prices and somehow ended up at Ancient Booze.

http://forums.gamebattles.com/t/130785.html

Roth On

thome
08-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by thome
http://members.tripod.com/~witches_web/html/absynthe.htm

I can't rmember where I was but a couple years ago I found a site where you could order it over the net and it was the real deal.

From what I remember it was legal or at least alot of the ability to be
traced if you order it for private use .Something like you can own it
here in the states just you cannot sell it .

I thought ok cool, maybe some day and the I moved onto whatever topic I was originally looking for, you know net surfing and links.

I may have originally been looking for Roofing Shingle prices and somehow ended up at Ancient Booze.

http://forums.gamebattles.com/t/130785.html

Roth On

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/index.php/language/en

I wonder if they would sell that lamp ......freekin cool.
http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/faq.html

Damn the NET! I am already confused again with TO MUCH INPUT!!