PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Wall Mount Advice

ALMOSTsaved
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
I searched for this particular topic and never found anything so if this is a duplicate, I apologize. I have limited room to store my guitars and was considering going the "wall mount" route. Does anyone have any recommendations for durable brands that actually look cool? Also, any suggested height to hang these mounts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nitro Express
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Musicians Friend carries two or more kinds. These hang your guitar by the peghead on the wall for display. If you have a bunch of guitars you might look into putting up a retail type wall like they do in music stores.

ALMOSTsaved
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I actually only have 4 guitars that I want on display. I'm just tired of the floor stands.

Nitro Express
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
I would go with the mounts they sell at musicians friend. You might even be able to pick them up at Guitar Center or another local music shop. They come with the screws and drywall anchors at least mine did.

A retail wall costs some money to put in but what's cool is you can use them to hang shelves, cabinets, or whatever. The guitar holders just clip in and out. It's simular to pegboard but it uses heafty slots instead.

ALMOSTsaved
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Gotcha. Just checked out the Musician's Friend website. The individual mounts look perfect! Thanks for the tip!

jhale667
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Do NOT go with the flimsy cheaper ones...the most durable ones I've ever seen are called "Off the Wall", and they come with stud-mount screws as well as drywall ones. :)

ALMOSTsaved
07-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Cool! Will definitely look for those!

Blackflag
07-31-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't know about you people, but I would not be hanging my guitar from the neck.

indeedido
08-01-2007, 09:02 AM
It is actually the best way to treat your guitar. Takes the pressure off of it. Hanging guitars by their headstocks won't cause any problems. Considering that the average tension from a set of steel strings is well over 100 pounds, the hanging weight of the guitar’s body is insignificant.

If you choose to use stands, I’d recommend using multiple layers of felt or any soft fabric to cover those areas that come in contact with the guitar.

kastco
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Actually, depending where you live the best place for your guitars are in hard cases. Especially this time of the year the east coast is very humid and that reeks havoc on a guitar. Mine all stay in their cases with moisture packets to keep everything as dry as possible. Whatever you do, do not hang your guitars on an outside wall or above any baseboard heating.

Blackflag
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by indeedido
Takes the pressure off of it.

Actually, it puts more stress on it. You'd have to be pushing down on the headstock to relieve the string pressure - so you're doing the opposite by hanging it.

Blackflag
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by kastco
Whatever you do, do not hang your guitars on an outside wall or above any baseboard heating.

Or where a puppy can get at it. Those fuckers chew everything up. :mad:

Diamondjimi
08-01-2007, 07:10 PM
In my last house I had them hanging on the wall like the stores do.
I used a 6' X 18" piece of slat board with individual hangers purchased at my local music shop.
Regardless if you choose this route or the individual mounts the most important tool you'll need for mounting the hangers is a stud finder.

Better safe than sorry !;)

jhale667
08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi

Regardless if you choose this route or the individual mounts the most important tool you'll need for mounting the hangers is a stud finder.

Better safe than sorry !;)

So true! :D

Nitro Express
08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I mounted mine in the studs. I have found drywall anchors to be hit and miss. I live in a dry climate and never had a probleme with any of my hanging guitars and some have been up there for a few years but they get taken down and played every now and then.

I keep my hollowbody guitars in cases though. I used to keep some of my guitars on stands but they get knocked around by kids so I put them higher.

The only problem I can see is if there is an earthquake you guitars will fall off the wall. LOL!