• Show
Clear All
  • Hyman Roth
    Veteran
    • Nov 2006

Holy Shit - interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River

By PATRICK CONDON, Associated Press Writer
    10 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS - The entire span of an interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.

The Interstate 35W bridge, which stretches between Minneapolis and St. Paul, was in the midst of being repaired when it broke into several huge sections.

The Homeland Security Department had received no indications Wednesday night that the collapse was related to an act of terrorism, department spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington.

"We continue to monitor the situation. At this time, there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism," Knocke said.

It was not clear how many people were injured. WCCO-AM reported that one body was seen being pulled from the area, covered with a blue sheet.

A burning truck and a school bus clung to one slanted slab, while at least eight cars and a truck were submerged in the river.

The bus had just crossed the bridge before it crumpled into pieces, and broadcast reports indicated the children on the bus exited out the back door.

Ramon Houge told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he was on his way home from work on the bridge when heard a rumbling noise, saw the ground collapse and cars go down.

Traffic was bumper to bumper and hundreds of people would have been involved, he said. He said cars backed up as best they could and he parked in a construction zone and was finally able to turn around and drive off the bridge. "It didn't seem like it was real," he said.

Dozens of vehicles were scattered and stacked on top of each other amid the rubble. Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no official word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.

Gregory Wernick Sr., Rockford, Ill., drove over the bridge shortly before the collapse. He stopped to get a drink nearby and heard commotion so he went back.

"I figure I crossed about 10 minutes before it happened," he said. "That's just too close to call."

He was standing about 200 feet away on top of a parking ramp with large group of people.

"I've never seen anything like this," he said.

The Homeland Security Department had received no indications Wednesday night that the collapse was an act of terrorism, department spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington.

"We continue to monitor the situation. At this time, there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism," Knocke said.

The arched bridge, which was built in 1967, rises about 64 feet above the river. Workers have been repairing the 40-year-old bridge's surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the interstate, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported on its Web site."

Last edited by Hyman Roth; 08-01-2007, 09:26 PM.
    Trollidillo-T
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is what happens when a government wastes all of its money on a useless war, and does not support THIS country's infrastructure. Interstate highways are a FEDERAL responsibility, and roads and bridges are falling apart all over the country. Remember the overpass that collapsed in the Bay Area a few months back.

And states don't have the money either. In this state, you can blame that on one Republican ASSHOLE named Tim Eyman, who puts ballot initiatives out on the basis of appealing to people's greed, without bothering to explain what actually happens when you take neccessary funds away from the government.

This is what happens, Tim. This is what happens, Chimpy. This is what happens, braindead Repukes.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hyman Roth
      Veteran
      • Nov 2006

What's scary is that may be the best case scenario.
      Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Hyman Roth
        Veteran
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by FORD
        ...Tim Eyman...
        Damn and I thought voters in my state were dumb:

"Eyman was born in 1966.... He graduated in 1988 from Washington State University in Business, where he was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and was on the wrestling team. ...He owns a small business in Mukilteo, Washington, selling fraternity and sorority-branded watches."

He's been a busy little repuke, hasn't he? Looks like he got caught with his dick in his hand using donations made to his PAC to pay himself a salary...
        Trollidillo-T

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Pawlenty Takes Low Road on Transportation Issues
          “Governor’s Record Full of More Potholes than a Minnesota Road in Spring”

Minnetonka –“Today’s photo-op staged by Governor Pawlenty announcing the newly constructed lanes on 494 will not be enough to change the minds of Minnesotans who are driving on some of the worst roads the state has had in decades,” said Dave Foster, chair of Alliance for a Better Minnesota.

“Pawlenty’s record on transportation is full of more potholes than a Minnesota road in the spring. Not only has he consistently and deliberately underfunded our roads, the federal government investigated the role a Pawlenty donor had in getting funds meant for a minority-owned firm.

“He is holding this ‘official government’ press conference today because he knows he is in trouble on this important campaign issue.”

Below is Pawlenty’s record on transportation:

Existing Roads in Worst Condition in Decades, Tight Finances Delay Highway Construction: The state's decision to build with borrowed money and expected federal funding has led to deteriorating roadways. Existing roads are now in their worst condition in decades, according to the state Department of Transportation. The agency's cash balance dwindled from a $155 million surplus in 2002 to a deficit of $60 million before officials were legally required to get back in the black. According to the Star Tribune, tight finances are starting to delay highway construction, even on projects already underway. (Star Tribune, 7/4/06)

Governor Cut $20 Million In Road-Building Money: In 2003, Pawlenty used his emergency budget-cutting authority to cut $20 million in road-building money. (Associated Press, 2/7/03)

Pawlenty 2005 Transportation Plan Relied On Borrowing $4.5 Billion: In 2005, Pawlenty proposed a 10-year, $7.5 billion transportation package. The plan called for $2.65 billion by dedicating 100 percent of the motor vehicle sales tax (MVST) to transportation and $4.5 billion of borrowing to accelerate construction of major highway projects. Democratic lawmakers criticized Pawlenty’s reliance on borrowing to pay for road projects rather than looking for ways to raise more revenue. Pawlenty’s plan did not advance in the House or Senate. (The Legal Ledger, 1/24/05; Saint Paul Pioneer Press, 12/23/04; Star Tribune, 5/13/05)

Vetoed Transportation Bill: In 2005, Pawlenty vetoed a transportation finance bill that would have provided $7.8 billion over 10 years for roads, buses and passenger trains. (St. Paul Pioneer Press, 5/20/05)

Pawlenty Promised $2 Billion For Transportation In 2002 Campaign, Later Backed Down: During the 2002 campaign, Pawlenty promised $2 billion for transportation. He later said he lowered the amount in the face of the $4.2 billion deficit, proposing a $1 billion plan in 2003. (Star Tribune, 3/15/03)

Pawlenty 2004-05 Budget Proposal Did Little For Local Roads & Transit: In 2003,Pawlenty conceded that his proposed 2004-05 budget proposal for transportation did little for local roads and transit. Pawlenty proposed an overall 11 percent cut in transportation funding with a 64 percent drop in state general fund money. (St. Paul Pioneer Press, 5/24/03; Star Tribune, 2/19/03)

Plan to have Firms Front Money for Construction of Crosstown Delays Project, Makes Project More Costly: In order to start construction of the Crosstown Project in August, Minnesota for the first time called on firms to front the state up to $96 million until full federal funding was available in 2008. No contractors bid for the job because the project appeared more expensive than the state's $250 million estimate. Considering the 10 percent to 20 percent inflation in construction, the delay means the construction could now cost $300 million. (Pioneer Press, 6/17/06, Pioneer Press, 9/2/06)

MN Department of Transportation Came Under Federal Investigation for Alleged Special Treatment of a Pawlenty Donor: In 2004, the Minnesota Department of Transportation was under federal investigation to determine if it broke the law when it signed a $135 million construction deal on Interstate 494. The Department of Transportation had chosen a company called Granite/McCrossan to complete the work. However, transportation staff later found problems with some of the minority sub-contractors that Granite/McCrossan had hired, including Lee Sontoya. In two cases, including the I-494 project, Rainbow Incorporated, a white-owned company and L&S, a certified minority-owned business owned by Sontoya, submitted identical bids faxed from Rainbow Incorporated by Mike DeBuhr, the division manager for Rainbow. The companies said they had not done anything wrong, and that Rainbow serves as a mentor to L&S, a relationship approved by the Department of Transportation. No additional information is available regarding the status of the federal investigation. In the 2006 campaign finance report just filed, it showed employees of C.S. McCrossan and Rainbow Inc. contributed to the Pawlenty reelection campaign in 2006. (WCCO TV 11/16/04; http://wcco.com/iteam/local_story_321110403.html, http://www.cfbreport.state.mn.us/pdf...in/A/15475.pdf)

####

The Alliance for a Better Minnesota represents over 500,000 Minnesotans – from industrial and health care workers to steelworkers and conservationists, parents, property owners and working families.
          Prepared and paid for by the Alliance for a Better Minnesota, P.O. Box 14732, Minneapolis, MN 55414

Last Updated on Friday, September 08, 2006

Link
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Sammy Hagar's tour bus rolled over and the bridge couldn't take the wieght.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Sammy Hagar's tour bus rolled over and the bridge couldn't take the wieght.
              I dare you to go post that at Links.

They aren't even open to posts about the REALITY of this tragedy, let alone Hagar jokes.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• TongueNGroove
                Head Fluffer
                • Apr 2004

Bush did it.

Seriously though, I saw that tonight and was seriously wrought by the devastation that occurred there. I mean, when I drive over a bridge the last thing In my mind is that it could collapse at any second.

I feel bad for those people. The last I heard there were at least 6 dead, but judging by the amount of cars, I would think it would be higher than that.
                -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

What's Links? If you mean links of sausage I'm sure Bass Player and Sam I Am are already there.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

They should make a new version of Scooby Doo were Bass Player is Shaggy and Sam is Scooby. They can eat these big sandwiches and fuck each other .

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by TongueNGroove
                      Bush did it.

Seriously though, I saw that tonight and was seriously wrought by the devastation that occurred there. I mean, when I drive over a bridge the last thing In my mind is that it could collapse at any second.

I feel bad for those people. The last I heard there were at least 6 dead, but judging by the amount of cars, I would think it would be higher than that.
                      There's always been the bridges that have failed due to poor design but this bridge has been there since 1967. Obviousely it's structural steep failure. The wieght of the road surface is more than the cars. All there has to be is some corrosion in key stress areas to where the structure is compromised and down it will come. It's probably been a ticking time bomb for years.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I've been hearing about unsafe bridges in the US my whole life. We had a bridge where I used to live that nobody did anything about until it obviousely became scary. Why? Tearing the bridge down messes up the commute and politicians don't like to piss people off. Plus, new bridges cost money.

It makes you wonder how many more time bombs we have. The East River bridges in New York City have been pointed to for years. They are over salt water, old, and poorly maintained for years.

In winter areas, the road salt seeps into the bridge and weakens reinforcement bar in concrete and corrodes the structural steel.

One thing for sure. It will happen again somewhere.

Comment

• frets5150
                          Commando
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          This is what happens when a government wastes all of its money on a useless war, and does not support THIS country's infrastructure. Interstate highways are a FEDERAL responsibility, and roads and bridges are falling apart all over the country. Remember the overpass that collapsed in the Bay Area a few months back.

And states don't have the money either. In this state, you can blame that on one Republican ASSHOLE named Tim Eyman, who puts ballot initiatives out on the basis of appealing to people's greed, without bothering to explain what actually happens when you take neccessary funds away from the government.

This is what happens, Tim. This is what happens, Chimpy. This is what happens, braindead Repukes.

Well Fuckin Said

And I love how the media is saying it does not appear to be a Terrorist attack.Every Fuckin thing that happends is a possible Terrorist attack

Like the Bonus features after 911inplanesite and if you seen it you know what i am talking about.

Terrorist Terrorist Terrorist Terrorist Terrorist Terrorist

Trying to brainwash people.

Comment

• Hyman Roth
                            Veteran
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            I've been hearing about unsafe bridges in the US my whole life....
                            Engineering-types, help me out here....of course roads and bridges have to be maintained, but if you design and build a bridge like this, shouldn't it have the integrity to, like, not collapse during rush hour for at least longer than 40 or 50 years? I mean, they built the pyramids a long time ago too, but...
                            Last edited by Hyman Roth; 08-02-2007, 04:43 AM.
                            Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hyman Roth
                              Engineering-types, help me out here....of course roads and bridges have to be maintained, but if you design and build a bridge like this, shouldn't it have the integrity to, like, not collapse during rush hour for at least longer than 40 or 50 years? I mean, they built the pyramids a long time ago too, but...
                              Not really. They had to tear a concrete bridge out in Idaho because the road salt had ate away too much reinforcement bar. I will never forget crossing a bridge in Syracuse, NY that had huge gaping holes in it and you could see the railroads tracks under neath. It was like fucking swiss cheese.

Some bridges are constant maintenance. The Golden Gate has had painters on it painting the whole time since it was built.

Comment

Working...