PDA

View Full Version : The Sinner Swings

Apocalypso
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
My first post here. Joined a few days ago after lurking off and on for years, but recently several regulars here have contacted me privately saying I should start posting here so here the fuck I am. Some of you might know me (or hate me) from VH Links or even the VHML dating back to 1995 during the Cornell days as either "Partyslammer" or simply "T.B." My first VH show (my first live band in fact) was in '77 about a year before the 1st album was released and I've seen them every tour, '78 up to '04 with the exception of the Monsters of Rock tour in '88.

Anyway, I always figured when introducing myself, I'd better bring a motherfucking gift or something. Here's a YouTube video I slapped together several months back, "Sinners Swing" live from 6/21/81:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5EiNP35Kk

Here's my complete list of YouTube videos with more Van Halen as well as other bands I'm into:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Partyslammer&p=r

Anyway, I hope I can piss half as many of you off as I have on VH Links.

T.B.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I really dug that Sinners Swing clip, even though it's not the entire song onstage in the vid. Good job.

I for one have no use for the VHlinks. Others might.

Heres one for you.

:gulp:

I don't drink, so you can have mine, too!
:gulp:
Roth ON!!

chi-town324
08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the board ! any CVH fan is a friend of mine!

Jimmy4vh
08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Nice to see you over here, too!

Antman
08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Nice job and welcome bro.

Apocalypso
08-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Antman
Nice job and welcome bro.

Thanks guys, good to be here.

T.B.

Hardrock69
08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Apocalypso

Ah so you want to piss one of us off, eh?

Well.......FUCK YOU! PISS OFF!!!
http://i17.tinypic.com/52nxxm0.jpg

Ok, now that THAT is out of the way, welcome to here!
:cool:

DLRdelight!
08-03-2007, 12:30 AM
welcome to the army

FORD
08-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the jungle, Apocolypso!

Geez, another defector from Links..... been a lot of those lately. Wonder why?

Heavy handed moderating from a certain goat-fucker, maybe??

binnie
08-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Welcome, sounds like you really know you're shit!

Which tour was best, in your opinion?

Apocalypso
08-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Welcome, sounds like you really know you're shit!

Which tour was best, in your opinion?

Oh the 2004 reunion tour with Sammy of course.............

HA! Fuckin' with ya.

Seriously, I'd have to say the '81 tour by a very slight margin over the '80 tour. Main reasons being I saw 2 shows on the '81 tour (6/20 & 6/21/81 -LA Forum) and I recorded the 21st, which is the source for the widely circulated bootleg so that one's always fresh in my memory. Pretty much the same show both nights but this was pretty much the peak of the band - great setlist, everyone playing at the top of their game. Although I had shitty nosebleed seats for the 20th, I had excellent floor seats for the 21st.

The 1980 show was at the LA Sports Arena (9/20/80) and I had floor seats in the first section right behind McKenzie Philips(sp?) and her friend/drug dealer (they were both looking really fucked up) probably through Valery whom Eddie was dating back then (although I don't think anyone knew it at the time). That show was a lot looser than the '81 shows and the one thing that really stuck out was the different version of "Runnin' With The Devil" the played with the drum intro and that "Bright Lights, Big City" blues jam. The stage production was a huge step up from the previous tours and it was kinda cool seeing these guys had really hit the big league.

Here's a list of all the Van Halen shows I've seen so far:

Pre 1st album
Van Halen – January ?, 1977 – Golden Bear Club, Huntington Beach, CA

VH1 Tour
Van Halen – July 9, 1978 – Long Beach Arena, CA

VHII Tour
Van Halen (Callifornia World Music Festival) - April 8, 1979 – LA Coliseum, CA

Van Halen – Oct 10, 1979 - LA Forum, CA

WACF Tour
Van Halen – Sept 20, 1980 – LA Sports Arena, CA

Fair Warning Tour
Van Halen – June 20, 1981 – LA Forum, CA

Van Halen – June 21, 1981 – LA Forum, CA (taped)

Diver Down Tour
Van Halen – Sept 10, 1982 – LA Forum, CA

Van Halen – Sept 12, 1982 – LA Forum, CA

Van Halen (US Festival) - May 29, ’83 – Devore, CA (taped)

1984 Tour
Van Halen – May 13, 1984 – LA Forum, CA

5150 Tour
Van Halen – July 2, 1986 – LA Forum, CA

Roth Solo EEAS Tour
David Lee Roth – Dec 19, 1986 - LA Forum, CA

Roth Solo Skyscraper Tour
David Lee Roth – June 11, 1988 – Irvine Meadows, CA

FUCK Tour
Van Halen - Sept 10, 1991 - Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa, CA

RHRN Tour
Van Halen – August 29, 1993 – Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa, CA

Balance Tour
Van Halen – April 5, 1995 – LA Forum, CA

VH3 Tour
Van Halen – July 4, 1986 – Blockbuster Pavilion, Devore, CA

Van Halen – Oct 3, 1998 – Las Vegas Hard Rock Hotel, NV

Roth/Hagar Tour
David Lee Roth / Sammy Hagar – June 22, 2002 Blockbuster Pavilion, Devore, CA

2004 Hagar Reunion Tour
Van Halen – August 16, 2004 – Pond, Anaheim, CA

Van Halen – August 19, 2004 – Staples Arena, LA, CA

T.B.

binnie
08-03-2007, 03:57 AM
I have to say I am incredably jealous!

Dude, you've caught all the tours I wish I'd been able to (not being born made it somewhat of a problem)!

I am especially envious about the US Fest!

Apocalypso
08-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Welcome to the jungle, Apocolypso!

Geez, another defector from Links..... been a lot of those lately. Wonder why?

Heavy handed moderating from a certain goat-fucker, maybe??

Nahh, I'm not "defecting" or anything like that and I'm not into playing sides (or sites) against each other. I'm just looking for other boards to actively bs about the band leading up to the tour.

T.B.

Apocalypso
08-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I have to say I am incredably jealous!

Dude, you've caught all the tours I wish I'd been able to (not being born made it somewhat of a problem)!

I am especially envious about the US Fest!

In the next few days, I gotta pull a big long review of the 3 days there that I wrote up years ago for the VHML and post it here. The other thing I gotta do is encode off my original cassettes the recording of VH's set I did that night and maybe upload or post a snippet or two. I've never really circulated it beyond a couple traders I met on Usenet years ago because my friends and I were so drunk and fried from the whole day by the time VH came on, we ruined the recording by talking really loud through big chunks of the set.

T.B.

MAX
08-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Nahh, I'm not "defecting" or anything like that and I'm not into playing sides (or sites) against each other. I'm just looking for other boards to actively bs about the band leading up to the tour.

T.B.

'ello Apocalypso!!!

'Tis great to see you here. :cool:

I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts over yonder. Anyhoo, you'll be a great addition here IMO. :hitch:

Again, welcome aboard. :killer:

Diamondjimi
08-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Welcome aboard , don't forget your helmet !;)

diamondsgirl
08-04-2007, 01:39 PM
My first post here. Joined a few days ago after lurking off and on for years, but recently several regulars here have contacted me privately saying I should start posting here so here the fuck I am. Some of you might know me (or hate me) from VH Links or even the VHML dating back to 1995 during the Cornell days as either "Partyslammer" or simply "T.B." My first VH show (my first live band in fact) was in '77 about a year before the 1st album was released and I've seen them every tour, '78 up to '04 with the exception of the Monsters of Rock tour in '88.

Anyway, I always figured when introducing myself, I'd better bring a motherfucking gift or something. Here's a YouTube video I slapped together several months back, "Sinners Swing" live from 6/21/81:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5EiNP35Kk

Here's my complete list of YouTube videos with more Van Halen as well as other bands I'm into:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Partyslammer&p=r

T.B.

you saw them in 77?? Very nice. I was too young, and mommy wouldn't let me go to a show until '81. :(

So, welcome (back). I now pronounce you "Army Scum" :D

(not sure if you read that thread over at the links) :p

jk anyway

as you know, both sites have some very cool people at them, but this is the place to be when you want to just talk Roth with like-minded people

unless of course, you're discussing the "could be" tour and then you have a mixed bag here too

so, question #1...are you going to attend a show? :confused:

diamondsgirl
08-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice video, A.

That song sounds soooo gooood live! :cool:

diamondsgirl
08-04-2007, 07:49 PM
and thank you for this...I pulled it off your favorites...its one of my favorites too....

I so wish I were Dave's harmonica :cool:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/__9eCmTupSY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/__9eCmTupSY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

chi-town324
08-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Nice work dude....a true fan for sure...looking forward to your input

Apocalypso
08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
you saw them in 77?? Very nice. I was too young, and mommy wouldn't let me go to a show until '81. :(

So, welcome (back). I now pronounce you "Army Scum" :D

(not sure if you read that thread over at the links) :p

jk anyway

as you know, both sites have some very cool people at them, but this is the place to be when you want to just talk Roth with like-minded people

unless of course, you're discussing the "could be" tour and then you have a mixed bag here too

so, question #1...are you going to attend a show? :confused:

Sure, even if the tour turns out to be a total trainwreck for whatever reasons, I'll check 'em out. I knoiw a lot of poeple are pissing and moaning about the fact that Mike isn't involved and the circumstances he's been booted out of the band, and honestly, I agree Mike being kicked out is bullshit but so what? It's outta my control so why whine about it? I saw 'em with Hagar and Cherone - at least this tour will have a good setlist.

T.B.

Nickdfresh
08-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks bro. Best recent thread title in a while BTW...

Excellent work. Oh to have this in the technicolor beauty of a studio released proshot...:(

MAX
08-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
I now pronounce you "Army Scum" :D

(not sure if you read that thread over at the links)

Yeah, that "Army Scum" comment sure was nice wasn't it? :mad: Especially coming from a certain someone who posted here on a regular basis and (at least to my knowledge) never had a beef with anyone on this site. :rolleyes:

Anyway, who cares? lol

Apocalypso
08-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Yeah, that "Army Scum" comment sure was nice wasn't it? :mad: Especially coming from a certain someone who posted here on a regular basis and (at least to my knowledge) never had a beef with anyone on this site. :rolleyes:

Anyway, who cares? lol

Ahhh, I don't think she meant anything by it. I think she's referring to something one of those overly thin skinned Linktards posted in regards to the "Roth Army" ruining threads or some such whining.

And even if she called me a mutant pig fucker from Detroit, it's all cool and the funnier the insult, the better, imo.

Trust me, anyone who's familiar with my history in VHL knows I can give as good as I take.

T.B.

MAX
08-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Ahhh, I don't think she meant anything by it. I think she's referring to something one of those overly thin skinned Linktards posted in regards to the "Roth Army" ruining threads or some such whining.

And even if she called me a mutant pig fucker from Detroit, it's all cool and the funnier the insult, the better, imo.

Trust me, anyone who's familiar with my history in VHL knows I can give as good as I take.

T.B.

Who do you mean by "she?" :confused: If you're referring to DG, I was agreeing with her. DG and I know each other just a little bit. lol ;)

No, both DG and I were referring to the poster formerly known as EVH FANATIC who originally made that "Army Scum" comment.

TAKIN WHISKEY
08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Welcome dude. Sammy and Gary both suck big time. But, none the less, Welcome!

08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Fuck Mike, Eddie, Alex and Dave on stage together. I`ll buy that!
I thought it was over for Dave in 2004, when he was doing small, half filled club gigs, in England. Maybe this period, broke the cammels back.