PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard "Operator"?

Ellyllions
08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.myspace.com/operatormusic

New band out of Los Angeles.

FORD
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
So Soundgarden DID get back together? But why did they change their name? :confused:

Ellyllions
08-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I HATE Audioslave.

But I loved Soundgarden. I won't deny the Chris Cornell sound-a-like, and the music behind the vocals is kicking ass.

Redballjets88
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
they're the same as anyone else in that genre.

VanHalener
08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Sounded familiar, but playing it cranked made that ok.

Love the album cover.
http://i12.tinypic.com/5ykrz82.jpg

Ellyllions
08-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
they're the same as anyone else in that genre.

What genre would you say that is?

Rock?

Redballjets88
08-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
What genre would you say that is?

Rock?

for lack of a better word shit wannabe metal.

DrMaddVibe
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Great find!

I'll be looking forward to seeing them tour around here.

binnie
08-06-2007, 03:22 AM
I dug that.

Definite Soungarden influence, but there are far worse bands to be influenced by.

Cheers Elly :)

Ellyllions
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
for lack of a better word shit wannabe metal.

shit wannabe metal?

So tell me, what do you consider to be real metal?

Just to be fair, I'm 36 years old so I've experienced where most of today's metal "came from" or were inspired by. You're 19, on a Van Halen board, which is considered NOT to be "metal" per se, but more "hard rock" or just "rock". Metal in my days were bands like: "Megadeth", "Judas Priest", "Black Sabbath", "WASP", "Slayer", "Sepletura" (sp?), "Iron Maiden".....

Hard Rock in my day were bands like: "Ratt", "Van Halen", "Motley Crue", "Whitesnake", "Dokken"....

And for you at 19 to be looking for a "Metal" band tells me that you're probably talking about bands like: "Disturbed", "Godsmack", "Korn", "Sevendust"...and damn that's all I can think of that our age group (the experienced ones) would consider to be true metal (whether we like their music or not)

But, there is a possibility that you're more akin to bands like: "Atreyu"; "Kill Whitney Dead", "Slipknot", "Norma Jean".

binnie
08-06-2007, 10:17 AM

"Sepletura" (sp?),

Yup: Sepultura.

I believe that it is Portugese for "Grave", but I may be wrong....

Fuckin' awesome band: Chaos AD & Roots are both metal classics, went downhill rapidly after Max left tho'.

Steve Savicki
08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Ahh, I thought this was going to be about Jim Croce's hit song.

Anonymous
08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
"Sepletura" (sp?)

Sepultura, like Binnie said.

Sé-pool-too-ra, to say it with Brazilian accent.

Originally posted by binnie
Yup: Sepultura.

I believe that it is Portugese for "Grave", but I may be wrong....

Fuckin' awesome band: Chaos AD & Roots are both metal classics, went downhill rapidly after Max left tho'.

You're not wrong. It's indeed Grave. Don't forget the Beneath the Remains album. Also very kick ass.

Max also went downhill rapidly after leaving. Soulfly isn't half of what Sepultura was.

Cheers! :bottle;:

binnie
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker

Max also went downhill rapidly after leaving. Soulfly isn't half of what Sepultura was.

True, but Soulfly pisses all over what's left of Sepultura (especially live). I like there first record a lot, but it all becomes a little unfocussed after that....

Beneath the Remains and Arise both kick ass, but I think they really peaked and found their own sound on Chaos AD and Roots: before that they were a really great thrash band, but with Chaos AD they did something no other metal band had done.

Hope all is well dude :)

Redballjets88
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
shit wannabe metal?

So tell me, what do you consider to be real metal?

Just to be fair, I'm 36 years old so I've experienced where most of today's metal "came from" or were inspired by. You're 19, on a Van Halen board, which is considered NOT to be "metal" per se, but more "hard rock" or just "rock". Metal in my days were bands like: "Megadeth", "Judas Priest", "Black Sabbath", "WASP", "Slayer", "Sepletura" (sp?), "Iron Maiden".....

Hard Rock in my day were bands like: "Ratt", "Van Halen", "Motley Crue", "Whitesnake", "Dokken"....

And for you at 19 to be looking for a "Metal" band tells me that you're probably talking about bands like: "Disturbed", "Godsmack", "Korn", "Sevendust"...and damn that's all I can think of that our age group (the experienced ones) would consider to be true metal (whether we like their music or not)

But, there is a possibility that you're more akin to bands like: "Atreyu"; "Kill Whitney Dead", "Slipknot", "Norma Jean".

i dont like atreyu, or slipknot. but norma jean I do like. I HATE disturbed godsmack korn and anything like that. I like grindcore and thrash, along with hardcore.

Ellyllions
08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Like I tell my son, Redballjets...that ain't metal.

That's a new music, your generation made up all on it's own. Us old metal heads call it, "SCREAMO". And to us...it SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!

Lemme guess, you "hardcore" dance too don't ya?
And that's even funnier to watch.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I wouldn't expect "hardcore" folks to understand what metal truly is...and that's why I had to call you out when you used the word "metal".

Redballjets88
08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
i dont hardcore dance for one thats retarded. and It IS metal, just old people refuse to listen to how the music has progressed. Bands started doing growls and screams in the late 80's so you can't say its a new fad. Metal has moved on like everyother kind of music and its heavier and harder than it ever has been.

dont watch this video just push play and listen.

Metal.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6TvhP3EX4E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6TvhP3EX4E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ellyllions
08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
You're wrong.
You can't compare Megadeth with Norma Jean.

You can however, compare Norma Jean with Cradle of Filth....

Growls as you call them, belong to your generation and none before it. In our day you needed to actually be able to sing in order to get a record contract. Especially in Metal and Hard Rock.
Ronnie James Dio
Geoff Tate
Rob Halford
Ozzy....

Not one of our heros would do that unintellgible vomit cough shit you're listening to.

I'm sorry, I get bombarded with that shit every single day by my son. I'm not listening to it by choice.

Redballjets88
08-06-2007, 03:29 PM
it takes talent to have a good scream or growl. and cradle of filth and norma jean are nothing alike.

music evolves....im sorry it isn't 1983 anymore. I would bet that if ozzy was starting off today he would be in this type of music, not Operator (corporate bullshit newmetal shit)

Ellyllions
08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, genius....if you're so "modern" ...

What are you doing on this forum board? Isn't Van Halen a little too "soft" for your screamin' demon?

jharp84
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I HATE Audioslave.

But I loved Soundgarden. I won't deny the Chris Cornell sound-a-like, and the music behind the vocals is kicking ass.

Couldn't agree more! Why can't Cornell RE-UNITE w/ SOUNDGARDEN??

Redballjets88
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, genius....if you're so "modern" ...

What are you doing on this forum board? Isn't Van Halen a little too "soft" for your screamin' demon?

because I enjoy a wide array of music...genius.

timmy pooterbut
08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
im a song writer i only have one song inthat genre
and it makes me cough and hurt
so i dont throw it up that often
but its called kick rocks eat metal

timmy pooterbut
08-06-2007, 09:15 PM
its been a while was dead embryonic cell the albumn title or just an a side song or something
but i thought that had to be them

binnie
08-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Here's my five cents.

"Growling" began in the mid 80s with Chuck Schuldiner and Death: before that, there were a lot of bands that didn't really have a singer, but didn't really growl either, like Bathory or Venom. Basically, all death metal and now screamo bands have been ripping off Schuldiner for 20+ years.

As for Norma Jean sounding like Megadeth, I don't hear it; but I don't think they sound like Cradle of Filth either.

Screamo is essentially a crossover of punk and metal (hardcore as it was termed in the mid 90s with Sick of It All and Biohazard): you take punk arrangements and put metal riffs over the top, add some punk style shouting in the verse, and usually a "melodic" chorous, but not always. And if you look hard enough, there are some bloody good screamo bands out there, but, as with any musical genre, there are hordes of shit bands too. In that respect, nothings really changed since 1983, except for the pants these bands wear.

Is it "metal", who cares? If people like it, people like it. Are Operator "metal", who cares? If it's good music, listen to it. If it isn't, then don't.

When people ask me what type of music I like, I always say "Heavy" rather than "metal": that way the diverse range of bands who come under a "metal" tag, but some don't regard as "metal" can be included - I can incorporate anything from Van Halen to Cannibal Corpse in one term!

Rock on motherfuckers!

Ellyllions
08-07-2007, 09:41 AM
because I enjoy a wide array of music
No you don't. You're very specific as to what music you like. So much so, that since you didn't like "Operator" you couldn't just click away...you had to say something...

...genius.
Why thank you, yes I am.:D

Ellyllions
08-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Great post Binnie!

Although...I've been telling my son that if he would like to see this Screamo thing progress and grow, he'd better hope that it never gets too popular. Cause once the record companies get hold of it and try to mass market it....it's over. It'll die out as quickly as hair metal did.

binnie
08-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Great post Binnie!

Although...I've been telling my son that if he would like to see this Screamo thing progress and grow, he'd better hope that it never gets too popular. Cause once the record companies get hold of it and try to mass market it....it's over. It'll die out as quickly as hair metal did.

Thanks.

Bang on about the record companies: they will polish the production too much, and turn each band into a product rather than allowing them to be themselves. That's what happened with hari metal - the sleaze, and dirt and power all went, and you got shinny polished bands like Slaughter and Pretty Boy Floyd towards the end, basically watered-down pop versions of a genre. Shame.

I can already hear that happening with a lot of the screamo stuff - there are still some good bands out there, but I'll be surprised if it lasts more than five years.

Redballjets88
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Thanks.

Bang on about the record companies: they will polish the production too much, and turn each band into a product rather than allowing them to be themselves. That's what happened with hari metal - the sleaze, and dirt and power all went, and you got shinny polished bands like Slaughter and Pretty Boy Floyd towards the end, basically watered-down pop versions of a genre. Shame.

I can already hear that happening with a lot of the screamo stuff - there are still some good bands out there, but I'll be surprised if it lasts more than five years.

Norma Jean is actually an example of that, I liked their first album with the original singer, then they ditch the singer and do the sing/scream combo songs (true screamo) and now i hate them.

i hate how you guys are calling all of it screamo...screamo is emo with the occasional scream...what i listen to has zero singer because i dont like the two to mix.

elly you can not say i don't like a wide array of music, sure i dont like bands like daughtry, nickleback, and operator, but you will rarely find someone who in one car ride will listen to cannibal corpse, hall and oates, then van halen.