PDA

View Full Version : Bass Player aka Michael Anthony can't get a fucking break.

Nitro Express
08-04-2007, 12:30 AM
This was posted at Talkbass.com:

Okay people....I've only seen one person name Michael Anthony of Van Halen as being overrated. I have to disagree...in my mind, he's not overrated. Just horribly bad at bass! Groove? I don't think he knows the meaning of the word. Feel? Only if you believe building a bass after your favorite bar room poison and beating the poor thing up to get fans to cheer counts!!! What is this?

I remember when For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge came out, he talked about the bassline on "Poundcake" which is steady 16th notes played through the entire song like he is the only bassist out there who can play it! Or write something like that! Hard to play? Perhaps it's hard to play fast 16th notes for 4 minutes, but is that a good bass line? Does it have a groove? Did he mix it up? Did he add any melody or harmony? Couldn't you have done the exact same thing (excuse me for this) on a keyboard?

The guy is just a horrible bass player. To ever consider him as good, let alone great, is something that noone should ever do...and he must stop doing it himself!!!

Nitro Express
08-04-2007, 12:31 AM
If Mike plays like he fucks, Sammy is getting fast 16th notes in the ass for 4 minutes.

Hardrock69
08-04-2007, 03:54 AM
LMFAO!!!
:D

He CAN'T get a break, can he?
;)

Nitro Express
08-04-2007, 06:57 PM
He's proof that nice guys really do finish last.

Diamondjimi
08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
This was posted at Talkbass.com:

I remember when For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge came out, he talked about the bassline on "Poundcake" which is steady 16th notes played through the entire song like he is the only bassist out there who can play it! Or write something like that! Hard to play? Perhaps it's hard to play fast 16th notes for 4 minutes, but is that a good bass line? Does it have a groove? Did he mix it up? Did he add any melody or harmony?

It's probably the only tune Ed let him record on the the whole album.

sadaist
08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Sure there are a lot of bass players that are better then Anthony. Hell, even my sister is better than he is. But the simple truth is...

YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THE ORIGINAL RECIPE!

Dave Roth
08-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Sure there are a lot of bass players that are better then Anthony. Hell, even my sister is better than he is. But the simple truth is...

I'll have a beer to that, the original recipe is always the best!

TongueNGroove
08-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Van halen is built around EVH, not the bass player. Trust me, if EVH wanted some funky Bass lines they would be in there even if he had to play them himself on the album and then get a new bass player to tour with.

The Bass lines are bare minimum because that is what EDDIE wants. He wants the drums and bass to be a solid backing to his solo skills and nothing more. It isn't Anthony's fault there aren't any stand out bass parts on a Van Halen tune. I am sure Mike could bust out some slap and funk bass if he wanted to and was allowed to.

Hummarstra
08-08-2007, 03:44 AM
I love Mike's playing. I don't care what a bunch of bass geeks say on the web, Fuck em.

Nitro Express
08-08-2007, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by sadaist

Yup. Dave Roth said Mike was good with tools and built the band's original lighting rig out of lumber, lights, and Radio Shack parts they had pilfered.

Nitro Express
08-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
Van halen is built around EVH, not the bass player. Trust me, if EVH wanted some funky Bass lines they would be in there even if he had to play them himself on the album and then get a new bass player to tour with.

The Bass lines are bare minimum because that is what EDDIE wants. He wants the drums and bass to be a solid backing to his solo skills and nothing more. It isn't Anthony's fault there aren't any stand out bass parts on a Van Halen tune. I am sure Mike could bust out some slap and funk bass if he wanted to and was allowed to.

Gee wiz. Mike had his own solo splot while the rest of the band got blowjobs below the stage. They must have been having fun down there because Mike's solos was too damn long. If he was such a great player, there he is up on the big VH stage all by himself. All he could do was hop around and throw the thing.

I'm just laughing because Eddie comes out now and says the dude has been freeloading for years and didn't add anything to the band. LOL! But Ed should be one to speak, the fucking drunk.

Casemeister
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd say most REAL bassists who understand the VH sound would know that Mike's playing was simple because it needed to be.

Do you think Ed's playing would stand out as much if Mike had been shredding away on the bass? No. There's an old interview where Ed even says the same thing.

IMO, any bassist who claims Mike sucks or can't play is just ignorant or biased. The guy has been an extremely tasteful player for 30 years. He understands his role in Van Halen. Or understood, I guess, might be more accurate since Wolfgang is now playing bass...

VH's rhythm section was always rock steady. Without that steady foundation, we probably wouldn't have had quite as many classic EVH solos, I suspect...

Hyman Roth
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jo-V7gMdCbQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jo-V7gMdCbQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Vinnie Velvet
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I like this thread.

I often think how much better CVH songs would be if there was a bass player who could lay down some better grooves or contribute more to the songwriting (a la Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, etc.)

Then again, maybe less was better in terms of the songs.

But listen back on CVH albums and there is so much more potential there for better bass playing. Maybe more opportunity for Ed to weave in and out of sections in a song.

Aside from MA's phenomenal, ground-breaking, background vocals (LOL!!) the guy is a hack. He probably knows it too. Luckiest hack of all time, I think.

Hyman Roth
08-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
I like this thread.

I often think how much better CVH songs would be if there was a bass player who could lay down some better grooves or contribute more to the songwriting (a la Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, etc.)

Then again, maybe less was better in terms of the songs.

But listen back on CVH albums and there is so much more potential there for better bass playing. Maybe more opportunity for Ed to weave in and out of sections in a song.

Aside from MA's phenomenal, ground-breaking, background vocals (LOL!!) the guy is a hack. He probably knows it too. Luckiest hack of all time, I think.

http://e.photos.cx/24karatcrap-25c.jpg

Vinnie Velvet
08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
http://e.photos.cx/24karatcrap-25c.jpg

:D

lonnieg5
08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm with Hyman. You guys who are bashing Mike are just trying to convince yourselves it's gonna be CVH without him... and it's not.

If he was part of the reunion you'd all be 10 times more excited about it, admit it. And the torch would be burning like a mother come Monday.

Vinnie Velvet
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
LOL!!

http://www.concertlivewire.com/jpegs/gigs/michael.jpg

Vinnie Velvet
08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by lonnieg5
I'm with Hyman. You guys who are bashing Mike are just trying to convince yourselves it's gonna be CVH without him... and it's not.

If he was part of the reunion you'd all be 10 times more excited about it, admit it. And the torch would be burning like a mother come Monday.

Who fucking cares.

I have been bashing Mike since, oh....1984! He has always been the butt of jokes. :D

I admit, it would've been more 'complete' for a CVH reunion if he was there --- just for the 'original band' aspect of it.

If not, who cares. Its not like its 1982 or 84 for that matter either.

I don't take this whole thing very seriously.

If this thing with Wolfie sounds like shit, I'd be the first to say so.

tjvhou812
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
does it seem cold in here to you

Mike Sobolewski
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I can't play anything too difficult on the bass because my fingers are too short. My main contribution to VH was my background vocals. I had to do a live "bass solo" so the band could get head and to give the fans a chance to use the bathrrom.

katie
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Mike Sobolewski
I can't play anything too difficult on the bass because my fingers are too short. My main contribution to VH was my background vocals. I had to do a live "bass solo" so the band could get head and to give the fans a chance to use the bathrrom.

Hi Mikey!
Tough break on the fingers...
How are you getting on with your new hair plugs?

Mike Sobolewski
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by katie
Hi Mikey!
Tough break on the fingers...
How are you getting on with your new hair plugs?

I have been using hair plugs since high school.

Nitro Express
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
LOL!!

http://www.concertlivewire.com/jpegs/gigs/michael.jpg

Sam must be using a studded condom.

moose
08-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Sam must be using a studded condom.

Good one!!
Oh that was fuckin funny!

northern boy
08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
What gets me about this thread is 5 or 6 months ago so many on here were supporting Mike and his not being involved in any reunioun. Now very seldom do you read anything positive thing about him. I'm with Hyman on this as well I think Mike is a great bass player, however just overshadowed by Ed's greatness.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Casemeister
I'd say most REAL bassists who understand the VH sound would know that Mike's playing was simple because it needed to be.

Do you think Ed's playing would stand out as much if Mike had been shredding away on the bass? No. There's an old interview where Ed even says the same thing.

IMO, any bassist who claims Mike sucks or can't play is just ignorant or biased. The guy has been an extremely tasteful player for 30 years. He understands his role in Van Halen. Or understood, I guess, might be more accurate since Wolfgang is now playing bass...

VH's rhythm section was always rock steady. Without that steady foundation, we probably wouldn't have had quite as many classic EVH solos, I suspect...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/4/2/f42a8f007b219dfd972d9a8ddbaaeaab.jpg

PlexiBrown
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I think Mike is a great bass player

Mike is a capable rock bassist. He is nowhere near being a great bassist.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
does it seem cold in here to you

Yeah bro...

Anything left in that bottle?

Diamondjimi
08-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove

Gotta agree with ya there. Bassplayer did exactly what Ed told him to...

"Shut up,sitdown,and do as your told!"

With Ed's Load playing bass I doubt he'll have a problem keeping him in line either...

Nitro Express
08-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Wolfie is going to wear the pants because if dad gets too bossy the kid can always hide the Smoking Loon.

Nitro Express
08-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Playing the bass is one thing but siding with Sammy during the divorce is pretty damn lame.

katie
08-09-2007, 05:02 AM

Hi Mikey!

So what's your take on not being asked to do the VH tour.

Nickdfresh
08-09-2007, 07:33 AM

http://www.christithomas.com/images/troll.jpg

(gay troll™ symbol)