X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Classic Rock magazine

Latest edition with Jimbo Lizard King on the cover did a comprehensive review of all the albums released under the name of Van Halen.

The 'Essential Classics' were Van Halen's first album and 1984

'Superior - The Ones That Helped Cement Their Reputation' were the rest of the 6 pack

'Good - Worth Exploring' were 3 of the 4 Van Hagar studio albums

'Avoid' went to Van Halen III.

Balance and RHRN didn't even make the list.

Only gripes I have with the article are the assertions that Van Hagar were as commercially successful as the classic lineup and the twice-made claim that Hagar was a better singer (although the article does at least say that in spite of that, when Dave left the band the spark and magic left with him.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

I remember when they interviewed DAVE a couple of years back.....BRILLIANT

and...they posted the sales of the 6 pack...compared to the van haggis years.......

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Van Hagar, Worth Exploring ??

I'll leave that to the Aliens, thankyou very much !!
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
        Van Hagar, Worth Exploring ??

It's not bad music...it's just not Van HALEN. If you like Journey, Night Ranger, etc... it's not bad. Just don't expect it to sound like Fair Warning.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• tajmahal
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2007

As I have said in the past they should have never called the band Van Halen after DLR, but EVH always said it was his name so he did not want to change it. The funny thing is DLR was the one who suggested calling the band VH. There is no way they would have called the band Van Halen if Patty Smyth joined the band. They should have called it Holland Band with Sammy.

Comment

Foot Soldier
            • Jun 2007

It has been suggested that Dave`s idea to call the band Van halen was a clever ploy, It gave the impression that he was happy being an equal member of the band, and time showed this was never the case(Malcolm Domme 1995).

Comment

• diamondsgirl
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

They should have called it "Rotting Corpses" because thats how offensive it was.

Seriously, I actually think it sounds bad. Hagar's voice is horrible, IMO.
              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

Re: Classic Rock magazine

Originally posted by Terry
                although the article does at least say that in spite of that, when Dave left the band the spark and magic left with him.
                It sure did.
                “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Re: Classic Rock magazine

Originally posted by Terry
                  Latest edition with Jimbo Lizard King on the cover did a comprehensive review of all the albums released under the name of Van Halen.

The 'Essential Classics' were Van Halen's first album and 1984

'Superior - The Ones That Helped Cement Their Reputation' were the rest of the 6 pack

'Good - Worth Exploring' were 3 of the 4 Van Hagar studio albums

'Avoid' went to Van Halen III.

Balance and RHRN didn't even make the list.

Only gripes I have with the article are the assertions that Van Hagar were as commercially successful as the classic lineup and the twice-made claim that Hagar was a better singer (although the article does at least say that in spite of that, when Dave left the band the spark and magic left with him.
                  Ya do remember that there might be people out there who've NEVER heard of 'em?

At least the guy knows his stuff: "And at their best (with Roth) Van Halen ruled."
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by sadaist
                    It's not bad music...it's just not Van HALEN. If you like Journey, Night Ranger, etc... it's not bad. Just don't expect it to sound like Fair Warning.
                    I think that pretty much sums it up. If you like AOR, you'll probably like 5150......
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Oct 2004

I read this about a month ago (you must be a month behind over there).

Love this mag...get it without fail.

There's a hillarious text sent in this month, though.

"Whatever Paul Elliot thinks, Extreme rule and Cherone is a gr8 singer! And Hagar is better than Dave!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOMO ALERT!!
                      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

"Whatever Paul Elliot thinks, Extreme rule and Cherone is a gr8 singer! And Hagar is better than Dave!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOMO ALERT!!
                        I must have missed that!

As if someone would text that in, makes me ashamed to be British!
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...