PDA

View Full Version : 5150?...Did Dave record any of the songs?

ROTHisGOD
08-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Did Dave record any songs for the 5150 album before "quitting"?I had heard that he had already started writing and recording on the 5150 that Hammy eventually finished...

VAiN
08-12-2007, 02:39 AM
There are rumors that he did do a song or 2... one is 'Eat Thy Neighbor'... but we'll never know.

Dave2007
08-12-2007, 02:51 AM
rent the movie the wild life,ed did the sountrack and if you listen carefully you will hear songs that made it onto spambolina vh records-but the movie music version is much much cooler and written with Dave in mind as the singer you can feel it. this might be as close as you can get to hearing what the band were working on when the split happened.-there are also some great tunes in there they should record now with Dave.hopefully this will all be put on a Vanthology someday.hope this kinda answered your question see ya at Giants Stadium(dont squirt Dave with water he'll fuck your girlfriend after the show)

ROTHisGOD
08-12-2007, 05:06 AM
I would gladly let Dave fuck my girlfriend...Not My Wife!

Nickdfresh
08-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by VAiN
There are rumors that he did do a song or 2... one is 'Eat Thy Neighbor'... but we'll never know.

To the tune of "Summer Nights" supposedly...

delta5150
08-12-2007, 02:41 PM
In his biography he mentions writing had started before he left but there were many disputes.

He goes on and says that HALF the album had been wrtitten before the split, I put my had in the fire and say "Good enough" had been written with dave for sure - sounds more like CVH than any song on 5150.

Apparently "Summer nights" was written in a day or two with Sam the cheesemaker in mind, he came in and sang on it and they were impressed...weird

I'll definitely rent out "The Wild life" thanks for the tip Dave2007, up to now I had only listened to "Donut city" which is quite neat

ROTHisGOD
08-25-2007, 11:46 AM
???

jharp84
08-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Dave2007
rent the movie the wild life,ed did the sountrack and if you listen carefully you will hear songs that made it onto spambolina vh records-but the movie music version is much much cooler and written with Dave in mind as the singer you can feel it. this might be as close as you can get to hearing what the band were working on when the split happened.-there are also some great tunes in there they should record now with Dave.hopefully this will all be put on a Vanthology someday.hope this kinda answered your question see ya at Giants Stadium(dont squirt Dave with water he'll fuck your girlfriend after the show)

In the "Wild Life" , technically a sequel to "Fast Times at Ridgement High", the soundtrack instrumental music is awesome as Eddie still has the CVH "Brown Sound" in this movie STILL NOT OUT ON DVD YET???? You will hear jump part two(end credits) many awesome jams and the fact that he uses the "ripley stereo guitar used on "top jimmy" on some jams!!

indeedido
08-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I have an old Guitar World interview with Ed from Sept 1986.

He says they had Good Enough and Summer Nights worked up with Dave.

I'd love to hear both of those with Dave.

indeedido
08-25-2007, 04:54 PM
In fact too, there is a funny quote from Ed. He basically says Dave has always hated Sammy, even before he was in the band....

EVH: "The thing is, Dave has always hated Sammy. I never understood why. We did some shows together- the Oklahoma Jam, and Anaheim Stadium with Black Sabbath and Sammy Hagar- and I always went over and said hi to Sammy because I dug him from his Montrose days. And Dave would always talk shit about him: "Ahhh, that little mother, he ain't got nothin' on me." And I'd wonder, Where's that even coming from? Why the animosity? And what Dave says is true- they never even met. "

FORD
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
"Good Enough" is one of the riffs you hear in "The Wild Life" (just saw it again the other night....it's currently in the "free" batch of "on demand" movies on Comcast digital, if you want to see it.)

So obviously this song was in the works before Van HALEN split.

Assuming the tempo of this song, as it ended up on 5150, and that Dave was writing the same set of lyrics that eventually ended up on Eat Em and Smile, the song could have been an early version of "Yankee Rose", possibly.

And the music for "Summer Nights" was definitely finished. Even Hagar admits that. He claimed that his "audition" for the band was to improvise a lyric over that music, which already existed.

On the other hand, the first song Van Hagar actually wrote themselves......

"Cheese Comes Walking In"

they should have quit right there....

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-25-2007, 05:19 PM
They may have never met, but Dave DID do a solid on behalf of Sammy.

While Dave was creating the Crazy From the Heat EP he was in the studio with producer Ted Templeman, and a phone call came in for Ted. Turns out it was Sammy, and he's distraught. Templeman had produced the latest Sammy album and it turns out MTV is refusing to air the lead off single/video because it contains the word...either "ass" or "shit", probably the former.

Anyhow, Sammy is very upset and he's begging Ted to come up with some sort of solution, to rerecord the song, or wipe that woprd fromt he vocal mix, ANYTHING, but they've already gone over budget recording the album, so this is a MAJOR problem. Dave gets on the phone, and asks Sammy what the action is in the video at the time the offending word comes up. Sammy explains that in the video's narrative he has been nusted by the police for exceeding the posted speed limit and he's being hauled off to jail. "Okay, that's cool, " Dave tells him, "Just add a bit in there where the police are throwing you into the cell, and link up the action so the door audibly slams shut when the word comes up. All you have to do is remix from the video end, not the album". Sammy went on to do EXACTLY this and "I Can't Drive 55" went onto become - inexplicably - a hit.

Dave only found out that Sammy had used his suggestion when one day Dave was sitting at home and saw the video being aired on MTV. Sammy never called him to offer some compensation for creative input or even thanks for saving his ass in a moment of desperation. Classy guy.

Nickdfresh
08-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I'll be damned!

You know, I watched the "Pop-Up" video for "I Cun't Drive 55" on the ol' VH1CL a couple of years ago...

Full of embarrassing tidbits about Sam, like he was only doing 62MPH when he was stopped and had the idea for the song. And he apparently destroyed the gearbox on that Ferrari because car-boy couldn't shift...

cMb
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Great info, guys.:cool:

chi-town324
08-26-2007, 12:34 AM
i knew about summer nights, but not about good enough...great info!!

ROTHisGOD
08-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Awesome info guys!

indeedido
08-26-2007, 06:17 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qyilQBxSJgs

opening scene. the embedded was disabled

indeedido
08-26-2007, 06:19 PM
VH at about 4:03 into it

indeedido
08-26-2007, 06:23 PM
6:20 rough version of Good Enough

ROTHisGOD
08-26-2007, 11:06 PM
very cool...

ROTH IS VH
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
I hope, actually I know they are NOT going to perform any Hagar songs on this tour. Even if Good Enough or Summer Nights were already done before Dave split they SHOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER doing any other songs other that CVH

IF they did do a Hagar era song I think it would have to be Poundcake. That is the only Hagar era song I admittedly do like. Please dont flame me for that..THANKS!

Dan
08-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by ROTH IS VH
I hope, actually I know they are NOT going to perform any Hagar songs on this tour. Even if Good Enough or Summer Nights were already done before Dave split they SHOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER doing any other songs other that CVH

IF they did do a Hagar era song I think it would have to be Poundcake. That is the only Hagar era song I admittedly do like. Please dont flame me for that..THANKS!

No Van Hagar Songs.

Diamondjimi
08-27-2007, 02:08 AM

BOOO !

http://www.nightfallaz.com/nf_06_man_on_fire.jpg

:D

Dan
08-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Got Em.:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM

The Jews have a great word for you. You're a fuckin' schmuck.

ROTH IS VH
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
BOOO !

http://www.nightfallaz.com/nf_06_man_on_fire.jpg

:D

Originally posted by Dan
Got Em.:D

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE

Hahaha...Damn you guys are sensitive to that shit. I was just replying to some of the comments at the beginning of this thread such as:

Originally posted by indeedido
I have an old Guitar World interview with Ed from Sept 1986.

He says they had Good Enough and Summer Nights worked up with Dave.

I'd love to hear both of those with Dave.

P.S Nice pick of the guy engulfed in flames LMFAO

ROTHisGOD
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Hammy Hagar is nothing,not even a pimple on Diamond Dave's Ass! ....

Mezro
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE

Mezro...LOL...nice one asshole...

Nickdfresh
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I think "putz" also fits him...

light 'em up!
10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by indeedido
He basically says Dave has always hated Sammy, even before he was in the band....

Check out the 1980 Livewire Interview with Shiela Rene. That's the best evidence that Roth has always disliked Hagar.

kenny8
10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by indeedido And Dave would always talk shit about him: "Ahhh, that little mother, he ain't got nothin' on me." And I'd wonder, Where's that even coming from? Why the animosity? And what Dave says is true- they never even met. " [/B]

Why was Ed even curious? Millions of people who have never met Sammy hate him. Are you only allowed to dislike Sammy if you've met him?

I never met Stalin either. Still can't stand the guy though.

...and as for Dave helping Sammy with the audio edit for 55....why bother? I would've thought the offending lyric would've been drowned out by viewers' laughter at the stupidest outfit ever seen in a video clip. Elton John would've turned that yellow jumpsuit down as being "too gay"

Seshmeister
10-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Sammy Hagar wasn't the only shitty thing about 5150...

jharp84
10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
NO Back to the infighting and racist name calling!!~

Nickdfresh
10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I'd give one of your left arms (mine's too important for purposes of whacking-it!) to hear Dave's version of "Summer Nights/Eat Thy Neighbor" or "Good Enough," I bet even the tunes are different...

I'm a little surprised they never surfaced. Then again, I'm not surprised at all - since I bet they're much better...