Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is America turning left?

Aug 9th 2007
    From The Economist print edition

Probably—but not in the way many foreigners (and some Americans) hope

FOR George Bush, the presidency is becoming a tragic tale of unintended consequences. In foreign policy, the man who sought to transform Iraq, the Middle East and America's reputation has indeed had revolutionary effects, though not the ones he was aiming for. Now something similar seems to be happening in domestic politics. The most conservative president in recent history, a man who sought to turn his victories of 2000 and 2004 into a Republican hegemony, may well end up driving the Western world's most impressive political machine off a cliff.

That machine has put Republicans in the White House in seven of the past ten contests. At times it has seemed as if the Democrats (oddly, given their status as the less Godly party) have had to rely on divine intervention to get elected. Watergate helped Jimmy Carter in 1976, just as the end of the cold war and Ross Perot's disruptive third-party campaign helped Bill Clinton in 1992. Better organised and more intellectually inventive than their “liberal” rivals, American conservatives have controlled the agenda even when they have lost: Mr Clinton is best remembered for balancing the budget and passing welfare reform, both conservative achievements. In a country where one in three people see themselves as conservatives (against one in five as liberals) and where the South and West have grown far more quickly than the liberal north-east, it is easy to see why Mr Bush and his strategist, Karl Rove, dreamed of banishing Democrats from power for a generation.

Now they would settle for a lot less. Having recaptured Congress last year, the Democrats are on course to retake the presidency in 2008. Only one Republican, Rudy Giuliani, looks competitive in the polls, and his campaign is less slick than those of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Voters now favour generic Democratic candidates over Republican ones by wide margins. Democrats are more trusted even on traditional conservative issues, such as national security, and they have opened up a wide gap among the young, among independents and among Latinos (see article).

For this, he is not guilty

The easy scapegoat is Mr Bush himself. During his presidency, the words Katrina, Rumsfeld, Abramoff, Guantánamo and Libby have become shorthand for incompetence, cronyism or extremism. Indeed, the failings of Mr Bush's coterie are oddly reassuring for some conservatives: once he has gone, they can regroup, as they did after his father was ousted in 1992.

Yet this President Bush is not a good scapegoat. Rather than betraying the right, he has given it virtually everything it craved, from humongous tax cuts to conservative judges. Many of the worst errors were championed by conservative constituencies. Some of the arrogance in foreign policy stems from the armchair warriors of neoconservatism; the ill-fated attempt to “save” the life of the severely brain-damaged Terri Schiavo was driven by the Christian right. Even Mr Bush's apparently oxymoronic trust in “big-government conservatism” is shared in practice by most Republicans in Congress.

From this perspective, the worrying parallel for the right is not 1992 but the liberal overreach of the 1960s. By embracing leftish causes that were too extreme for the American mainstream—from unfettered abortion to affirmative action—the Democrats cast themselves into the political wilderness. Now the American people seem to be reacting to conservative over-reach by turning left. More want universal health insurance; more distrust force as a way to bring about peace; more like greenery; ever more dislike intolerance on social issues.

Be careful what you wish for

So some sort of shift seems to be under way. Would it be a change for the better? The Economist has never made any secret of its preference for the Republican Party's individualistic “western” wing rather than the moralistic “southern” one that Mr Bush has come to typify. It is hard to imagine Ronald Reagan sponsoring a federal amendment banning gay marriage or limiting federal funding for stem-cell research. Yet Mr Bush's departure hardly guarantees a move back to the centre. Social liberals like Mr Giuliani and Arnold Schwarzenegger are in a minority on the right. On the one issue where Mr Bush fought the intolerant wing of his party, immigration, the nativists won—and perhaps lost the Latino vote for a generation.

In terms of foreign policy, America's allies, especially in Europe, would also be unwise to start celebrating, for two reasons. First, some of the changes that would stem from a more Democratic America would be unwelcome. The Democrats are moving to the left not just on health care, but also on trade; and a more protectionist America would soon make the world's poor regret Mr Bush's passing. Similarly, many Europeans may yearn for a less interventionist America; but an isolationist superpower could be much more frightening.

Second, America, even if it shifts to the left, will still be a conservative force on the international stage. Mrs Clinton might be portrayed as a communist on talk radio in Kansas, but set her alongside France's Nicolas Sarkozy, Germany's Angela Merkel, Britain's David Cameron or any other supposed European conservative, and on virtually every significant issue Mrs Clinton is the more right-wing. She also mentions God more often than the average European bishop. As for foreign policy, the main Democratic candidates are equally staunch in their support of Israel; none of them has ruled out attacking Iran; Mr Obama might take a shot at Pakistan; and few of them want to cede power to multilateral organisations.

One finding that stands out in the polls is that most Americans distrust government strongly. Forty years ago they turned against a leftish elite trying to boss them around; now they have had to endure a right-wing version. In democracies political revolutions usually become obvious only in retrospect. In 1968, with America stuck in another bruising war, few liberals saw Richard Nixon's southern strategy as part of a long-term turn to the right. All that was clear then was that most Americans urgently wanted a change of direction. That is also true today.

Copyright © 2007 The Economist Newspaper and The Economist Group. All rights reserved.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Spot on...

Comment

• WACF
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Good article.

You could superimpose it overtop of many democracies around the world.

It is all part of the curve....

Comment

• TongueNGroove
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2004

Well, you've got the House AND Senate. However, but choosing a female communist to run as the Democratic presidential nominee you won't have the presidency. But I am sure you will get your wish and more taxes and bigger government laws will be passed.
        -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TongueNGroove
          Well, you've got the House AND Senate. However, but choosing a female communist to run as the Democratic presidential nominee you won't have the presidency. But I am sure you will get your wish and more taxes and bigger government laws will be passed.
          Hillary's not a communist, she's a corporatist.

And I'd rather spend eternity in Heaven than vote for her.
          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Well, you've got the House AND Senate. However, but choosing a female communist to run as the Democratic presidential nominee you won't have the presidency. [...]
            ... Wait... I'll show you a couple of odd froggie specimen... If Hillary Clinton is a communist, I wonder what these two are, really.

Marie-George Buffet, leader of the "PCF" (French communist party:

Arlette Laguiller, leader of the "LCR" (revolutionary communist league):

OK, those 2 will never be in power, but trust me, you're kind of lucky in comparison, aren't you?
            Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 08-12-2007, 03:24 PM.
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I call them all Republicrats. Republican or Democrat, it's all about the special intrest money in Washington.

I say we make Senators and Congressmen stay in their home states and vote on bills electronically instead of being in Washington. This would make it harder for lobbiest to bribe our elected officials.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                I call them all Republicrats. Republican or Democrat, it's all about the special intrest money in Washington.

I say we make Senators and Congressmen stay in their home states and vote on bills electronically instead of being in Washington. This would make it harder for lobbiest to bribe our elected officials.
                Well in Wyoming it would. You only have 2 senators and one congressman to watch, and a lot less witnesses around if you have to shoot a lobbyist.
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm guessing you didn't read the article, and you have nothing but parroted right wing extremist cliches to say.

Boring...

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                    ... Wait... I'll show you a couple of odd froggie specimen... If Hillary Clinton is a communist, I wonder what these two are, really.

Marie-George Buffet, leader of the "PCF" (French communist party:

Arlette Laguiller, leader of the "LCR" (revolutionary communist league):

OK, those 2 will never be in power, but trust me, you're kind of lucky in comparison, aren't you?
                    Well I guess it is true! Communist women regardless of country are all ugly dykes.

Comment

• bluemustard
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2006

I'm moving to Bogota.
                      I'll have a good view seeing Americans sending their stolen and fucked up country to hell.

I'll also be making this world a better place even though it might be helping one unpriveledge child at a time.I'm gonna teach them how to shred and paint.
                      Better than talking shit on this board..and if I'm lucky I might see Van Halen in Amsterdam before I leave.
                      Aloha motherfuckers!
                      It was fun.

Comment

• bluemustard
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2006

I've visited every fuckin' board of all my idols and it's just sad.
                        I mean I can take a laugh while drinking a beer but a normal conversation isn't possible.
                        People just shit on eachother left and right when it comes to discussin'the war.
                        I can't take it anymore..lol

2007 and we're still killing babies and selling arms.
                        It's just corporate sick mafia shit.
                        Some politician in the netherlands wants to bann the Koran..LOL.
                        Ban the fucking bible while ur at it uh?Anywhoo..why bann if you can download it..The news is bullshit!!!!!
                        This world is sick.
                        But being nice ,making music and helping ur neighbor ain't over yet thank gods.
                        Enjoy this life..cause sometimes it can be sweet.

Hail Frank Zappa,Bill Hicks,David Cross and Lenny Bruce!!
                        Good Americans!

Comment

• Combat Ready
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express

This is true---Time to vote libertarian. Sadly---most in this country couldn't stand the freedom though.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The libertarian fairy tale won't work in this country. Corporations have too much control as it is. Privatizing everything would only lead to COMPLETE fascism.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Combat Ready
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                              The libertarian fairy tale won't work in this country. Corporations have too much control as it is. Privatizing everything would only lead to COMPLETE fascism.

Yes--as stated, most couldn't stand the freedom and all it has to offer. Sadly, we're heading down the opposite path...ie...Big Government and all it has to offer.

I'd rather take my chances with "complete freedom"---but it aint gonna' happen anytime soon.

We could probably agree on the latter point.

Comment

Working...