X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antman
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

My take on the bassplayer situation

Am I upset that MA is not with them? A little I guess, but life goes on. Mike's gone for reasons we may never know. So maybe we'll never see a full reunion. Most of us never thought we'd see this day either. I don't feel sorry for Mike. Is it fucked up that he's been erased from the album covers on the website? Yea. You can't just erase 25 years. But whatever. If I lost my job tomorow, I'd have to get my ass a new one pretty damn quick. I don't have millions in the bank, endorsements, a hot sauce line, or royalties streaming in. Nor do I have the luxury of doing nothing and not worry about paying my bills. Maybe Mike got fucked by taking less money, not playing on albums, etc. But he accepted those terms. It was Mike who sided with Sammy all those years. It was Mike who was never happy with Dave and didn't want to tour with him again. Bottom line is Mike's gone and probably not coming back. You deal with it and life goes on. If he really wanted to be part of VH, he probably would be, but in the end, I guess he really didn't. His loss. See yous at the shows.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.
  • squib
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

If the former bass players image gets taken off actual albums I might have a problem. We are talking about decorative edges on a website, which purpose is to keep fans informed about CURRENT events. It may be more normal to have a website that documents an entire career, but so what for normal. This sites intent right now is to cleary promote the current actvities and thats what it is doing. Anyone who is that upset shouldn't go to a concert, buy a tshirt, go to van-halen.com, or come here for that matter. No way on earth would I want to trade a one time reunion tour with Mike and then no future, for the current lineup and the possibility of new music to come. What was that Dave said about Elvis'??? I agree ROTH ON

Comment

• Rocktoven
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Aug 2007

It was Mike who was never happy with Dave and didn't want to tour with him again.
      I have to disagree with that.

Mike made a statement on his myspace that he wanted in but wasn't allowed in....

Comment

• light 'em up!
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2004

Re: My take on the bassplayer situation

Originally posted by Antman
        I don't feel sorry for Mike.
        Why should we feel sorry for Mike? Looks like he got a pretty sweet deal too.

"I've put a little thing together with Sammy's guitarist Vic, and J.D. on drums. We call it "The Mad Anthony Express", and we'll be opening up the show with some EARLY VH stuff. I'm doing the lead singing, and we've been having a blast with this!!"

-MA

Comment

• jcook11
          Commando
          • Sep 2004

I heard an interview with mike on 95.5 KLOS a couple months ago and FUCK HIM! "roy this" and "roy that" I'm sure that hot sauce thing will work out well and he can always call his retarded hillbilly friend for reaffirmation.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Mike who?
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

As soon as I saw the classic VH logo and nothing around to remind me of Sam, I saw God and it was good.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• eddie78
                Head Fluffer
                • Nov 2004

Love the new VH, wish Mike well....but erasing him from a couple albums is pretty damn cold.
                Is Sharon Osbourne managing the boys now??
                "That Michael Anthony is a right wanker...ozzy we must kill Michael anthony, bloody arse that he is!"

Comment

• Oxford
                  Roadie
                  • Jun 2004

Bottomline I think now I do blame Michael along Ray Dannials for totally ruining the 96 world tour that would have been mega as far as the songs and the album that would have followed.The bottomline it just made it that much easier for Dave to accept Eddie decisions that Michael would no longer be a member of the band.I think Michael totally shot himself in the foot opening his mouth and talking to much shit and spreading his love for his cheese man Sammy.It just didn't connect the puzzle.He totally screwed up in my mind.No matter how good of a guy he is to his fans.It the behind the scenes that we don't see.
                  Oxford

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Who cares what's behind the scenes ??

Michael has said plenty of good things about both Dave and Edward countless times...

He was ready to go, he said so himself...

Nice post though, Antman...

Comment

• delta5150
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Oct 2005

I think Michael wanted to be part of this reunion, He's an easy-going guy and I don't think he hated Dave as much as people say, I haven't seen any hard evidence, so bring it forward.

In the burn magazine interview, he seemed sad and frustrated when they were close to finishing an album in 2000 but things fell apart. He didn't express hate just said that Dave's ego got in the way, it's only a criticism

Remember Mike didn't have much of a say in the band, so I don't think he really influenced the fiasco in 1996 - as some people have quoted, 1996 fiasco was between Ed and Dave period

But let's be honest he's been treated harshly, VERY HARSLY by Ed, and Ed's hatred towards him has been taken to another level after entering www.van-halen.com

LIke him or not,

I think it's unprofessional and cold to see Mikey taken off the cover of the VH I, that's unacceptable under any circumstances, I'm a bit pissed off about it, that's degrading.

You cant' erase someone's contribution like that and it's moronic. If you buy that album wherever, you'll find him on the cover, unless from now on, the album will be sold without his image (weird!) They should't be able to get away with that. That's a blatant backstab (one of many)

To put it bluntly Mikey has been a punchbag for Ed all these years

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Wolfie on bass, no doubt he'll make a big difference. His presence will rejuvenate the band.

I wish them all the best and hopely they'll come to Europe

Comment

• Halen High
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

I wish Mike was involved. But his days in VH are over. There appears to be a determination to move on as a new band now, with the Wolfman on bass.

That's okay with me. The most crucial thing for this band was to get rid of Sammy, and bring back Dave.

Eddie and Sammy never had any chemistry as a songwriting team. It was all about working with a more amicable, easy going frontman and doing what Eddie wanted.

When the friendship fell apart there was nothing left.

Now at least we have a chance for something special again.
                        Last edited by Halen High; 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rocktoven
                          I have to disagree with that.

Mike made a statement on his myspace that he wanted in but wasn't allowed in....
                          I don't buy that.

Besides, Mike never called Eddie.

It was Mike who basically, along with Sam, after the 2004 tour, that gave the middle finger to Ed (figuratively speaking).

And yet he still wanted to play with him??

Umm..okay.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Who cares what's behind the scenes ??

Michael has said plenty of good things about both Dave and Edward countless times...

He was ready to go, he said so himself...

Nice post though, Antman...

Yeah, but it was Mike who started along with Sam bashing Ed after the 04 tour.

Granted, Ed's behavior warranted such a backlash.

But if he still wanted to be in the band, you don't go around saying shit about Ed.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by eddie78
                              Love the new VH, wish Mike well....but erasing him from a couple albums is pretty damn cold.
                              Is Sharon Osbourne managing the boys now??
                              "That Michael Anthony is a right wanker...ozzy we must kill Michael anthony, bloody arse that he is!"
                              That would only be for the website most likely.

The main page is a promotional item for the tour --- notice how it says 'full site coming sept 07'. So a proper discography with the proper artwork will be featured I would think.

Dave acknowledged Mike as being part of the history of VH -- they won't erase him from that.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...